NC - Shaniya Davis, 5, Fayetteville, 10 Nov 2009 - Allegedly sold by mother #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't have a previous record for any sexual crimes, right? Isn't that odd? Did he JUST become a pedophile at 29? He could possibly be the "transporter" for a bigger operation. Maybe he was taking her to someone at that hotel...
We all thought he was a transporter, but the charges against him are rape, and murder. There is always a first time to be charged, and it is not always because it is the perps first violation.
If he liked sex with children, every child that was ever in his surroundings should be looked into including his own. Some perps don't hurt their own only others.
I doubt that he would be taking the fall for someone else, and they did do an autopsy, so his DNA must have been found on her.

You've raised a very good point. It's not clear whether they've linked Mario to the rape and murder by DNA evidence. I certainly haven't heard anybody state that so far.

I have not heard it stated either, but he was charged after the autopsy was done. I do not think he would have been charged if they had nothing to prove his guilt.

Speaking of things going in cycles.... I hope you won't hate me but here is my experience with that

Like I said earlier, I was raped from a very young age (from babyhood really). When I was six or seven years old my 4 year old cousin complained to my mother that I kept chasing him into the bathroom and putting his penis into my mouth. It was true, I was actually doing this. I was doing this because I'd been trained to do it (to grown men) since I was a baby. I thought it was what good girls were supposed to do! My mother told my cousin to just avoid me and said that I was filthy. I stopped chasing him and it didn't happen again. But this means that effectively my little cousin was abused also. By me. When I was 6 or 7 years old.

I think this gives an example of how the cycle of abuse can continue.

I'm grown up now. I know abuse is wrong (although I only learned it's wrong through what I've read/learned as an adult - nobody in my family seemed to think it was wrong). I've had therapy as and when I could afford it.

But there are the 'what ifs'. What if I'd been a more aggressive type of person? What if I'd wound up on drugs? What if I'd not had the initiative or self-awareness to get therapy? Could I have ended up a full-on abuser myself?

I would venture to say it was for the same reason he left children's clothes in the back seat of his car. He probably was under the influence of drugs and wasn't on top of his "game", so to speak. Could possibly be why the smirk in the mugshot also. He thought he was being clever and had the cops fooled. Up to that point, he was having a good time with it. Sick *advertiser censored*$*: Once they found the body, the smirk seemed to disappear. I can't wait to see the court appearance today.
I agree with you.

I think that when the mugshot (with him smirking!) was taken, he was still higher than a kite.

By the time of his first court appearance, he seems much more subdued, as if his high was wearing off, and a bit of reality was starting to sink in.

I also can't wait to see his court appearance today. I'm hoping his withdrawal is just about complete, and he is feeling the crash and burn.

To curiouserandcuriouser:

I want to thank you for your courage in posting your experience as a child. I am so sorry this happened to you. I wish there was someone that could have saved you from all that but since there wasn't, maybe now it's time for your opportunity to help a lot of other children that are being victimized. This case is being followed in the footsteps of so many others in recent months, Caylee, adji, Haleigh, Somer, etc. being so close together and has finally brought to the forefront the exposure of this horrific problem in our own country. People like you and I are reacting with total disgust and anger as is justified. This may be the time to take some control somehow. We can't ignore it any longer. I'm asking Websleuths to put all the links in one place that posters can go to write letters, sign petitions, vote, etc. to get the powers that be to pay attention to us, the general public that want the laws changed to fit the crime. This may be your opportunity to really make a difference and in some way, fight back now that you're a survivor. I hope that makes sense to you. You are not alone. I already care about you very much and I'm sure there are many many here that feel the same way. We've now got your back.

Ok, found my answer in pattyG's presser vids.
The chief says they do not believe she was killed at the hotel...so LKL was wrong. Big surprise.

Again, just throwing this out and it's COMPLETE rumor ---

I'm a local and the word that was circulating the morning she was found among the searchers was that MAM had confessed he killed her but was so "messed up" that he couldn't remember where he left the body but could remember seeing "red clay and a port-o-john". That led searchers up to a new home construction site about a mile away from the dump site that had lots of red clay and a port-o-john to search --- this was witnessed first-hand by my co-worker's husband as they live across the road.

To me, IF THAT WERE TRUE, would explain why you'd go to a hotel with cameras. But I would think after a couple days, you're gonna be off that high so I don't know why you'd leave incriminating evidence in your vehicle.

Also, within moments of the body being found, I remember one of the searchers on said on tv that they had a tip that the body would be found by trash and deer carcasses and they had remembered seeing those earlier and didn't look over there as they didn't think there would be anything to find. So is he remembering details over the course of time or what? I admit that I am very perplexed and can't help but wonder if there is still a yet-to-be-named 3rd party.

Antoinette Davis worked at an assisted living facility in Fayetteville called the Carolina Inn. A news report stated that CES, a South Carolina-based staffing company, performed an extensive background check on Davis for the Carolina Inn in June 2008.An official stated that Davis had a good employment record at both Carolina Inn and the Haymount Nursing Rehabilitation Facility, but she is no longer employed by the company.

http://globalgrind.com/content/1157361/Shaniya-A-Young-Life-Interrupted/
I realize in this post, it clearly states an extensive background check was done....I want to say I know for a fact in all nursing facilities this is NOT done....Some years ago,9 to be exact, I owned a beauty shop.I fired a stylist, when I found alcohol (gin) hiding in every nook and crannie of the supply room....After he was gone I heard he was dealing drugs as well, with his clients,,,I was the last to find this out.....Many months later he came into salon asking for his job back...He told me , he had been employed by a local nursing home, he was on his "break" and he had to go back soon, so could I please reconsider and hire him back....Well,,,,,I told him (to get rid of him) that I would think about it.....I could not wait till he left so I could call the nursing home and let them know he was wasted....No one was there at that time so I called back the next day and spoke with an administrator....I asked her if they had done a background search on this man,,,and she told me they had.....I also found out he had used me as a reference.....I went off on her and told her he had been fired for drinking on the job,,,and that NO ONE had called and asked me squat.......I told her he had been in my shop the previous night,,,drunk as hell,,,,on his "break", and that he left my stop in this condition only to go back to taking care of elderly patients.....I told this woman I was furious that she had lied about the background search,,,,never being done,,,,and that if anyone came up dying on his watch....I would personally file charges against this nursing home and let the local media know of their hiring practices......I found out the next day he was no longer in their employ,,....I say this,,,if you have a member of your family,,,mother, father sister or brother,,,please check these places out,,,because I know this was no an isolated event.

I still believe that he was only suppose to deliver her to the hotel someone else, (hence the origianl kidnapping charge), but they never showed up at the hotel, which they should have the phone number off of his cell phone if he called to inquire where they were. And that would be why he was at the hotel for only the hour. I believe he would have been there longer if the other person had shown up. So he probably ended up taking advantage of the free time opportunity for himself (DNA evidence).

Now what he was thinking when he left the hotel is another thing! I feel that he left there with the attitude of "Now what do I do with her.?.?." And the thing that really bothers me - now looking at the video pictures from the hotel - is seeing the blue & white checkered 'towel' or 'small blanket'. Could this have been the item he used in his car to suffocate her?
(Honestly, I can't even stand to look at the hotel photos - now knowing the outcome!)

I am still unable to come to grips with this case, even for as much as I read on these forums. I just can't believe that there are people out there that would do such horrendous things to innocent children... Pray for all of our children, because they are not safe anywhere!

JMO

I want to thank everyone here who has been so caring and kind in their responses to me on this thread. I think that having these conversations, and survivors of similar abuse speaking up, can help raise awareness of the issues and prevent children going through this in the future. I don't want people to think that what happened to Shaniya is really that rare because shockingly it is not. It is rare for the little sweetheart to actually be killed, but it is sickeningly commonplace for little girls to be raped. I think being fully aware of the extent of the problem is probably a big step towards STOPPING IT FROM HAPPENING IN THE FUTURE.

I feel concerned for Antoinette's other child.

First of all {{{{{{{hugs to you}}}}}}}}}}}. I am so sorry for the betrayal of your childhood, the cruelest cut is when it is your own trusted parent who is behind it. You are a survivor and I hope you know that. It is really important to recognize that you are not a victim, but a survivor. By being open about the past, you can affect anothers future so I applaud you.

I have to compliment you on your perception about your mother's reasoning/justification of her acts. I think you are right on the money. Abuse begats abuse begats abuse. Often the adult "victim" of such abuse then turns around to perpetrate the same pain and humiliation upon someone weaker. This usually happens when the physchological damage from the original abuse has not been dealt with emotionally and instead festers, like a cancer, there.

Eventually that person will reach a point where they feel weak, powerless, and it calls up all those old feelings from the time of abuse. In a sick, twisted way, they then assume what they perceived as the position of power, the abuser, and inflict abuse on their own victim. And so on, and so on, and so on. That is why this dispicable crime is so insideous.

I congratulate you on your ability to talk about your abuse, as secrecy is what perpetuates this sickness. If we could end the secrecy and lose the sense of shame and address this problem as a society, maybe, just maybe, we could stop this horrible cycle.

{{{{{hugs to alwaysonmymind as well}}}}}}}}}}

A stepdaughter and stepson (both Aboriginal) lived with their aunt (my late husband's sister) for a number of years after their mother died because my husband's work kept him away from home. The Aunt, a product of Canada's Residential School System, allowed both children to be sexually abused by her partner. She even on occasion sexually abused my stepdaughter. When asked by my stepdaughter years later why she had allowed such things to happen, she said it was because it was done to her. The abuse was hidden for a number of years and finally reported to my husband. When he asked his kids why they did not tell him sooner, they replied that they were told not to and were afraid to tell.

@tlcox, you have a great attitude. HUGS to you :)

A question that has just come to me: do we KNOW for sure it was Mario who raped and/or killed Shaniya? Is there DNA evidence?

I'm still not sure I'm 100% convinced. He undoubtedly was involved but I think there could be more than one perpetrator.

We do not know what evidence LE has so NO we do not know for sure that he raped her but I assume LE has some sort of evidence or they would not have upgraded his charges to include rape. I wish we had access to what they know but understand why they must keep some things away from public knowledge in order to build a strong case. Something has made LE upgrade those charges - I just wish we knew what it is.

I believe the cig burns were from "mama's friends" and I believe they were done to her to see if the family was paying attention and to see just how much "they" were going to be able to get away with. Asleep at the wheel-shame shame shame on all of them.

I think they were able to tell from the body that she had been raped. There is one man in custody, one man charged, and only one man that reasonably could have done this. If there is another person involved, then piling the charges on MAM will make him give up the other guy, hopefully.
There may have been something in the hotel room, the car...I really hope they are comfortable enough with their case to release some more info soon.

I've read a little on DNA testing. Normally it takes 5-10 days. LE can *push* it and get results back in 72 hours.

Shaniya was found on Monday afternoon. 72 hours for results would be Thursday. Could this be the reason for the 8pm presser?? We know her body remained at the scene for quite some time. Do you think LE would have immediately gotten a swab and sent it ahead to ID McNeill??

This website has a lot of interesting details about DNA testing.

http://www.dna.gov/

We all thought he was a transporter, but the charges against him are rape, and murder. There is always a first time to be charged, and it is not always because it is the perps first violation.
If he liked sex with children, every child that was ever in his surroundings should be looked into including his own. Some perps don't hurt their own only others.
I doubt that he would be taking the fall for someone else, and they did do an autopsy, so his DNA must have been found on her.

I'm not sure who you're referring to in that 'we', but so far as the 'we' that's been participating in these Shaniya threads, myself and several other people have posted in the past few days, that as more info came out, we'd come to believe there was noone else involved but MAM and AD or just MAM. Specifically, that is to say that there no other prostiution customers or potential customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lizakind