GUILTY NC - Teghan Skiba, 4, Smithfield, 19 July 2010 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The nurse from the ER (Mary?)was there for the verdict...did you see her?...she stayed by Tegan's side all the way thru this. What a wonderful lady...

What an angel. Thank God someone was there for Teghan...

I've been here since the Anthony trial and I was here for the Arias trial and it's always a draining experience that leaves me emotionally spent, but it's always comforting to have people like all of you around who all want the same thing - justice. Even though I was new to this trial and case I'm glad I got to be here to see justice prevail for sweet Teghan. You all are wonderful

i was listening at work yesterday, did not expect to hear Teghans voice. it broke me down. I held my sleeping four year old for an hour and cried last night. the jury, bless them, and bless you Teghan.

I was doing the same, I just had my headphones in and was listing in and out. All of a sudden her little trembling voice was in my ears and it just crushed me. It took me by surprise and I truly wish I had not heard it. I don't have children yet, but I look forward to it so much. I hate that people like HR have children and care so little for them.

Well, you have to think about how you would have felt if the monster had not gotten death, IMO that would be much worse.

I don't want to sound like a know it all but this was one case that I believe without doubt deserves the DP. I saw the one video and I was enraged and wanted to kill the sob who was yelling at Teghan. I could imagine if I was on that jury and heard everything he did to this baby and had to look at photos of the broken, ruined little girl. I would have no problem helping send JR on his way to meet his maker and get REAL justice because, IMO, death is not enough for what he did.

This is one case that I thought the jury might bring back their decision before the free meal. I wonder if there is something to not wanting to deliver bad news or when you know something bad is about to happen you eat first. Like Christ's Last Supper or a death row inmate's last meal. Maybe a jury bringing a difficult decision wants to eat and share a camaraderie with fellow jurors before delivering the verdict?

Teghan got as much justice as society permits but that is just the tip of the iceberg for the justice that JR will face some day.

Found Teghan's video... 23:00 in this video...

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/13537465/

:tears:

When it was live on ABC11, they showed it up close... not on WRAL... It is still heart wrenching to hear.

I just can't bring myself to watch it.

Not like me at all - I can usually stomach most things, but with this, I can't. Just reading about it turns me inside out.

I've followed the thread from start to finish and head here first every day when I log on, but have rarely posted because truth be told ... I don't have the words.

I've had cases haunt me in the past ... but this is one that will stay with me always.

Thanks to everyone here who has kept this thread updated and active - for the goodness of humanity you represent and for your insights, wisdom and compassion. When cases like this happen it is easy to fall into a state of despair at the evil that exists in this world - but its folks like you who restore faith in humankind.

x

I feel like I should still be checking on her, but it's over. She may rest easy and gently now. Thanks again everyone for sharing this, it was so emotional.

I don't have the least desire to celebrate this victory. Just feel thoroughly drained. I want him to suffer. And I wish there was something I could do for the Skiba's. I look at my own grandchildren and shudder at the thought of any one of them suffering. :(

I feel exactly the same. I have had a very emotional week and have only been following along enough to know what was going on, but didn't go in to depth because I didn't think I could handle it.

I didn't watch the closings until this morning and didn't find out the verdict until just now.

I feel emotionally drained, sad, and I can't wait until my daughter gets home from school so i can hug her. I imagine her rolling her eyes and saying "uhh..ok Mommy" lol
She knows how I am and she knows I'm following this case. I shared some of the details with her. I used this trial as a tool to explain why her father and I have been and still are so protective over her. She is 10 now, and I wanted her to fully understand what we mean when we say there are evil, awful people in this world and it's our job to protect her from them. We don't care if we seem like the "weird parents". I always have said that I would rather people think I'm crazy and paranoid any day over having to call the police because my daughter is missing, or have to bury her ravaged body because I failed to protect her from some monster on this earth. I was given charge of this beautiful child and I am not taking it lightly, it's my job, it's my responsibility and it's my purpose. I wish all Mothers felt that way.

This may be a moot point, but wanted to clarify something in case some people were bothered by it.
When the video was shown, some people said they heard two voices. The first voice you hear is that of Greg Butler yelling "Speak Up!" out in the courtroom like he did during 1st closing arguments for the trial.
You can see his mouth move, then after that you hear JR say "Speak Up!" on the actual video. Speak up was only said one time on the video.
I just can't comment on the video any more than that, it hurts my heart too much.

Thanks to everyone who followed this trial. I'm pleased this is over and everyone can start healing.
Cheers to the Judge, Jury, and Prosecution well done.
:toastred:

Unfortunately it's not over. The death penalty guarantees the monster an automatic appeal. And HR has yet to answer for her part in Teghan's death. Her day in court will arrive sooner than later. Teghan's families will be required to revisit this nightmare for years to come, in large and small ways. We as Websleuthers can do for them what we do best: stand witness, shed light, pray, speak out, tweet, nudge the media, ask questions, and in so many other ways be the voices for the voiceless.

To Landonsmom and everyone else here who was able to be in that courtroom, to those who tied purple ribbons in Smithfield, you are shining stars in Teghan's memory. What you have done for Teghan's families, especially the Skibas, is appreciated beyond measure. The words "Thank You" are not enough. Please keep us informed on how we can help support you in supporting Teghan's families in the months and years ahead.

To all the posters of the tweets here, thank you. Your dedication to justice for Teghan, taking your time to type the horrible words, I'm sure many tears were shed in the process. Know that we all appreciate you so much.

Like several others have posted here, I've never supported capital punishment before Teghan's death came to my attention. I truly believe justice was served yesterday and that the jurors did the right thing. And yet, I take no joy in the sentence. As someone else so wisely posted yesterday, it will not bring precious Teghan back. Hearing her voice yesterday in that hideous video broke my heart open. Made it all more real than any previous testimony. I don't think I will ever get that small sobbing terrified voice out of my head and oh how I wish I could. I want to remember Teghan as the bright sunny child who loved to play in a sandbox filled with purple sand, but now I can't. But I will remember every day what Teghan went through and try to make some small bit of good come from her painful death. Purple ribbons will be added to Whitney Heichel's garden very soon, as well as a clay butterfly or three. When people ask why there are there, I will tell them Teghan's story. If it encourages someone to not be afraid to do the right thing when it comes to another child being abused or neglected, then perhaps Teghan will not have suffered and died in vain.

May the Goddess Bless you dear Teghan. You will not be forgotten.

La Louve

When watching the sentencing verdict and viewing JR's family, I made an observation--HC and JR's mom were not physically touching or comforting each other in their grief, they both were crying and sitting beside each other but there was still distance between them. The Skibas were close by each other being supportive. I went back and looked at the verdict and the closing arguments and it was the same. The Creech side showed distance and coldness, the Skibas the exact opposite.

I find comfort in knowing that Teghan Skiba felt love and support from the Skiba family in her life. She deserved a long life, but JR took that from her, at least she knew what it was to be loved and cherished by the Skiba's.

Hopefully part 2 of justice for Teghan will come with court date for HR.

I love Websleuths because it is one area I feel I can come to and not feel alone...whether I am posting (which I don't do very often) or just reading how others feel.

Watching the closing argument and hearing the voice of brave little Teghan Skiddo , ripped my heart out. And as an RN, I have seen more than a few abused, burned, beaten children and the monsters who were responsible. But that video was so painful to watch and listen to. I pray that all the courageous participants in the trial get help for the horrors that they have had to live with and dream about for the past few weeks/months/years. I pray that they can find peace in their lives by knowing they all gave sweet Teghan a voice. I pray that one day they will all be able to close their eyes without seeing her torn and broken body each time. I know my own tears flowed for hours after viewing it, and even the demon's sentence did not make me feel better.

I would like to get one thing of my chest however, before we move on from this trial. I honestly believe that he had no intention of her dying...at least not when she did. I think that he got the bandages and stuff to "patch Teghan up", to keep her alive so he could continue with his sadism. I think the rage he showed her on the last day when he slammed her head, was because he saw she was slipping away due to blood loss, and he was not going to let her do that. How Teghan hung on for so long, day after day, still amazes and overwhelms my soul. In my heart I think it was to make sure that the world would see what a monster this man really was, and to make sure that no other child would ever go through this again. How many abusers get off, to only do it again?

I realize that this has been probably said before, I just needed to say it.

Rest in Peace little Teghan. You have more than earned your Angel wings.

Welcome

to

Websleuths

Imamom!!

We're glad you have joined us!!

Thank you!! I don't usually post I just like to read but this case really had my attention. It is one of the worst cases I have ever heard about and I'm just so glad to see our justice system work!

Does anyone know specifics about the therapy offered to the jurors? And is it offered to just the jury? Just curious. TIA

I sent a text to my friend asking if counseling was offered to the jurors. He responded "Not sure". So that means it wasn't offered to him, so I assume it wasn't offered to any.

Thanks everyone for your posts and updates.

Justice has been served and hopefully, at some point, in the not to distant future, he will be wiped off this planet for good.

I have an electrical engineering degree from NC State (95). :crazy:

LOL, I thought so! I've been married to an engineer for nearly 46 years now. I can spot 'em coming & going. :floorlaugh:

Me engineer, me fix anything, me don't *do* feelings. :floorlaugh:

:seeya:

The trial was held in Johnson County?

Yes, Teghan was kidnapped, assaulted, abused, tortured all in Maw maw Creech's shed on a property located in Johnston County, N.C. Sheriff Steve Bizzell was in charge of the investigation. He was the one who said Maw Maw Helen Creech didn't know anything. Many of us here in Johnston Co., were inundating his office with questions 'why aren't the property owners being charged?' Sorry, still so angry about that. And about why not stronger charges against Helen Reyes, Teghan's mother. I believe Teghans mother, prior to moving into the shed, lived in Wake County, with her parents, Jose and someone Reyes. The Skiba's live in Youngsville, which is in yet a different county, Franklin perhaps??

Sorry if all my *thanks* haven't come through today, my margins are all screwed up on WS's today for some unknown reason. I have to keep scrolling side to side and many of my *thanks* just don't register. So I want to personally thank each and every one of you, especially the newbies and first time posters.

omgosh you guys.. I just saw the closing arguments.

((((((omgosh)))))))

(((((((omgosh)))))))

seeing that video of little Teghan.. I will never forget that as LONG AS I LIVE.

she had on a purple shirt.

the poor poor jury for having to sit and do their duty: BUT THANK YOU. THANK YOU.

I love Websleuths because it is one area I feel I can come to and not feel alone...whether I am posting (which I don't do very often) or just reading how others feel.

Watching the closing argument and hearing the voice of brave little Teghan Skiddo , ripped my heart out. And as an RN, I have seen more than a few abused, burned, beaten children and the monsters who were responsible. But that video was so painful to watch and listen to. I pray that all the courageous participants in the trial get help for the horrors that they have had to live with and dream about for the past few weeks/months/years. I pray that they can find peace in their lives by knowing they all gave sweet Teghan a voice. I pray that one day they will all be able to close their eyes without seeing her torn and broken body each time. I know my own tears flowed for hours after viewing it, and even the demon's sentence did not make me feel better.

I would like to get one thing of my chest however, before we move on from this trial. I honestly believe that he had no intention of her dying...at least not when she did. I think that he got the bandages and stuff to "patch Teghan up", to keep her alive so he could continue with his sadism. I think the rage he showed her on the last day when he slammed her head, was because he saw she was slipping away due to blood loss, and he was not going to let her do that. How Teghan hung on for so long, day after day, still amazes and overwhelms my soul. In my heart I think it was to make sure that the world would see what a monster this man really was, and to make sure that no other child would ever go through this again. How many abusers get off, to only do it again?

I realize that this has been probably said before, I just needed to say it.

Rest in Peace little Teghan. You have more than earned your Angel wings.

BBM: I agree completely. Sadists enjoy knowing they are inflicting pain. That's their MO, an unconscious victim can't yell or squirm or react at all. I would venture a guess that he slammed her down out of frustration because she was no longer reacting to his torture.

:furious:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back