GUILTY NC - Teghan Skiba, 4, Smithfield, 19 July 2010 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I could not get to sleep last night and was up until at least 3 AM. I only followed at the end for the verdict, and just the bits I read during that time that had me traumatized.

How can the State of North Carolina not provide counseling to anyone on the jury or alternates who may need it? I'm serious; they could have nightmares for months and months. I'd want to sue the Richardson family for causing me to have to sit through the ghastly details of this rabid monster's deeds were I one of the jurors. JR's torture goes far, far beyond what he did to Teghan.

omgosh you guys.. I just saw the closing arguments.

((((((omgosh)))))))

(((((((omgosh)))))))

seeing that video of little Teghan.. I will never forget that as LONG AS I LIVE.

she had on a purple shirt.

the poor poor jury for having to sit and do their duty: BUT THANK YOU. THANK YOU.

It's all I could think about last night in bed. I kept trying to read a book I've been reading. Not true crime, an Alaskan adventure. But I couldn't focus. The more I tried to make it stop, I kept hearing those words again, 'I promise I will tell someone if I have to pee.' Oh god, it breaks my heart. I don't know how the Skiba's can stand it. If only old lady creech would have called the cops, Teghan could be living with the Skiba's right now. If only.

I could not get to sleep last night and was up until at least 3 AM. I only followed at the end for the verdict, and just the bits I read during that time that had me traumatized.

How can the State of North Carolina not provide counseling to anyone on the jury or alternates who may need it? I'm serious; they could have nightmares for months and months. I'd want to sue the Richardson family for causing me to have to sit through the ghastly details of this rabid monster's deeds were I one of the jurors. JR's torture goes far, far beyond what he did to Teghan.

I don't know if you actually saw the video of Teghan, Maddy. It came up so suddenly in the pros. closing, I wasn't prepared for it. But the way she was standing there, with her little broken arms raised up to her sides, saying those words over and over again, my mind just sprang back to old POW videos I've seen on educational channels. Military making POW's do stuff like that. Reminded me of Vietnam.

Hi Gracie,

No, I watched nothing of the trial, only the verdict on replay. I couldn't even read the news headlines, I'd be so upset just seeing that. I said it up thread a couple days ago-- I cannot bear any cruelty or torture to any child or any pet and be able to emotionally handle it. It makes me physically ill. I want death for anyone who commits such atrocities. I can handle many other things, but not that.

BBM

Speaking of this when I was talking to the lady from harbor house last night she said even though the creech's were not charged criminally someone could still sue them in civil court? I wonder would it have to be a family member of Teghan's?

If anyone could sue in civil court it would have to be the family of Teghan. No one else could. I was being facetious when I said I would want to sue the Richardson family, but that's my anger coming through and thinking of how I'd feel if I were one of the jury members. They can't sue though.

BTW, Landonsmom, I saw on the video during verdict reading JR's mother sobbing and sobbing. Did she shed any tears for Teghan? Or just for her monster son?

I think a big reason why we see cases like this, where the boyfriend abuses the child before killing him or her is, because they see the child as an extension of the old boyfriend. The child is a reminder that the girlfriend slept with another man. It doesn't matter that it was before they met. In so many of these cases, the killer seems to get pleasure from thinking of ways of torturing the child. It is personal, like they have a major hatred of the child or what they represent.

When you think about cases where the child is killed by a stranger, we have heard that most of these kids are dead within 3 hours. In those cases, the child is usually abducted to rape them, and is probably killed right after so they can't be identified. But how often do we hear of a stranger kidnapping a child and taking off their fingernails, cutting off their nipples, etc? It's like, when a child is killed by a stranger, they are just seen as an object to be used and dumped, but when a child is killed by the boyfriend, there is a personal hatred there.

JR could have also been just plain jealous of Teghan -- jealous of the attention that HR paid to Teghan instead of him. I don't know if that was ever mentioned as one possible motive, but I certainly thought of it early on in the case.

Years ago, in the apt bldg where I lived, my across-the-hall neighbor, who was also a good friend of mine, had a boyfriend, a talented & up-and-coming journalist, who was jealous of a new puppy his GF (my neighbor) had brought home. Within 2 weeks, the puppy was dead due to the BF kicking the puppy down a flight of stairs. The puppy was already scared of the BF because of his deep loud voice -- the puppy peed on the floor as soon as the puppy saw him, and the BF kicked him down the stairs (on purpose? Who knows, but I think it was -- I saw it happen in the hall between our apts). It was never mentioned after the day it occurred. That's all I'm able to say -- I have never mentioned it to anyone until today. They moved out of state & I lost contact with them -- that was way before FB and the interwebs. Never have forgotten it, obviously. The Green Monster aka jealousy. What a horrible day.
icon9.gif

i was listening at work yesterday, did not expect to hear Teghans voice. it broke me down. I held my sleeping four year old for an hour and cried last night. the jury, bless them, and bless you Teghan.

So glad to see you post with us, NikkiA -- keep it up! And bless you for caring so much.
icon7.gif

What an angel. Thank God someone was there for Teghan...

I've been here since the Anthony trial and I was here for the Arias trial and it's always a draining experience that leaves me emotionally spent, but it's always comforting to have people like all of you around who all want the same thing - justice. Even though I was new to this trial and case I'm glad I got to be here to see justice prevail for sweet Teghan. You all are wonderful

Thanks, cece -- you're one of us, too, ya know!

I was doing the same, I just had my headphones in and was listing in and out. All of a sudden her little trembling voice was in my ears and it just crushed me. It took me by surprise and I truly wish I had not heard it. I don't have children yet, but I look forward to it so much. I hate that people like HR have children and care so little for them.

bbm

It will come back to her, Violet -- of that, I am certain.

I feel exactly the same. I have had a very emotional week and have only been following along enough to know what was going on, but didn't go in to depth because I didn't think I could handle it.

I didn't watch the closings until this morning and didn't find out the verdict until just now.

I feel emotionally drained, sad, and I can't wait until my daughter gets home from school so i can hug her. I imagine her rolling her eyes and saying "uhh..ok Mommy" lol
She knows how I am and she knows I'm following this case. I shared some of the details with her. I used this trial as a tool to explain why her father and I have been and still are so protective over her. She is 10 now, and I wanted her to fully understand what we mean when we say there are evil, awful people in this world and it's our job to protect her from them. We don't care if we seem like the "weird parents". I always have said that I would rather people think I'm crazy and paranoid any day over having to call the police because my daughter is missing, or have to bury her ravaged body because I failed to protect her from some monster on this earth. I was given charge of this beautiful child and I am not taking it lightly, it's my job, it's my responsibility and it's my purpose. I wish all Mothers felt that way.

This may be a moot point, but wanted to clarify something in case some people were bothered by it.
When the video was shown, some people said they heard two voices. The first voice you hear is that of Greg Butler yelling "Speak Up!" out in the courtroom like he did during 1st closing arguments for the trial.
You can see his mouth move, then after that you hear JR say "Speak Up!" on the actual video. Speak up was only said one time on the video.

I just can't comment on the video any more than that, it hurts my heart too much.

Thanks to everyone who followed this trial. I'm pleased this is over and everyone can start healing.
Cheers to the Judge, Jury, and Prosecution well done.
:toastred:

bbm

Thanks, Rhozwen -:seeya:- I was planning to post that very thing today... Yes, there were two voices -- almost like one on top of the other -- Butler yelled it -- I think to make his point & also to make sure the jurors were clear on what the monster screamed to that terrified and broken little girl. What you explained was exactly what happened.
icon9.gif

JR could have also been just plain jealous of Teghan -- jealous of the attention that HR paid to Teghan instead of him. I don't know if that was ever mentioned as one possible motive, but I certainly thought of it early on in the case.

Borndem, I hope you don't mind I deleted the rest of your quote. I can't handle someone hurting an animal. I think you and Eileen are both correct that people do things like this over jealousy. IMHO I think JR had little to no interest in HR at all. I really think his target was Teghan. I think the anger came from her doing things he didn't like and couldn't control as well as are inconvenient and require clean up (the bathroom accidents and vomiting). I am sure her "failure to comply" only made his rage worse, I think he did this as punishment and certainly enjoyed it. I think he was seeing how much he could do and wanted to teach her a "lesson". He may also have been angry that HR left Teghan with him, and he did't want to deal with her. At the end of the day, she was nothing but an object to him. It does not seem he has ever had to deal with anything his whole life, no real responsibilities or consequences.

Good luck in your new life JR! :floorlaugh:

Good morning everyone! :seeya:

I was talking to my husband last night about the case and how happy I am with the verdict. He's listened to me describe all of the horrid details of little Miss Teghan's final days...shed the tears, etc. I also explained how furious I am/was that she got very little media attention and how I felt that people needed to know.

But he said something that made me really think...

He said "I can tell you one reason I am glad this case didn't get as much media". I said "WHAT/WHY?!!" (I was not happy with his reply :blushing:).

He said "You know damn good and well there is some sick SOB's out there. There is going to be that ONE person who would watch that trial, listen to the details, and relish in it. They may think "I can do worse than this...this guy's got NOTHING on what I could do to a little girl. What could I do that WOULD make it so horrendous that the media couldn't ignore it?" And the planning begins...:eek:

It really got me thinking. I wonder if that's somewhat the networks thoughts behind it as well. First, the details were so horrific that the majority of it would have been bleeped/blurred out (which doesn't make for great TV coverage). But I wonder if "sensationlizing" JR only fed not only HIS ego...but any other child abusers/sadistic pedophiles who wants their name across the ticker of CNN as being the "worst of the worst".

I hope we never have to find out.

Just food for thought...

And in addition to that, he might have got his own fan club, or cult following. Your husband is wise.

If anyone could sue in civil court it would have to be the family of Teghan. No one else could. I was being facetious when I said I would want to sue the Richardson family, but that's my anger coming through and thinking of how I'd feel if I were one of the jury members. They can't sue though.

BTW, Landonsmom, I saw on the video during verdict reading JR's mother sobbing and sobbing. Did she shed any tears for Teghan? Or just for her monster son?

LOL...I knew you were being facetious! I just think maybe the family could do this?

Nope, she only cried for that monster but she had the nerve to wear purple....ugh! Maw Maw makes my skin crawl and it if weren't for the 10-12 deputies standing around outside the courtroom I would have told her just how I feel :/

The trial was in Smithfield, Johnston County, North Carolina. The jurors were selected from nearby Harnett County.

I find it interesting that they selected the jury from another county because the case did not receive much pretrial publicity, right? Does anyone have a link to the documents where both sides asked for the trial to move, or not, and to the judge's decision?

You know, at least mass murderer Adam Lanza's father had the wherewithal and sensitivity to talk to each one of the Sandy Hook Elementary school families his monstrous son killed. He apologized to each one and candidly told them that he feels responsible and is sorry his son was ever born. (I'd feel the same way if I were him). It doesn't change the tragedy, but I think the families appreciate his sentiment. I'm sure they too wish that Adam Lanza had never been born.

You'd think the family of JR would understand and feel similarly and want to reach out to the Skiba family at least to let them know they too are devastated about Teghan. <shakes head>

Had I been in their place I would have cheered my relative getting the appropriate sentence for this crime. This entire crime from beginning to end is on the level of the worst Nazi atrocities committed during WWII, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not being hyperbolic, I mean this literally.

bbm

I guess we all saw it as you did, Mad74 -- and it did look real to me -- her grief about something. I was wondering the same thing as you -- and many more of us were as well, I'm sure.

Was she upset about giving birth & life to the thing that tortured a barely 4 year old beautiful and innocent child? Was she sobbing for the little girl, perhaps recalling any tuff times she had possibly experienced at the hands of those two parents of hers? Was she sad that her only child became a monster? Was she regretting things about him she saw and knew, and did nothing about?

I gave her the benefit of the doubt, and thought that she was bemoaning all the things I said above. Surely she has some humanity in herself that saw the real tragedy of what had happened during those ten terrible year-long-seeming days that the innocent endured. Surely she did.

Yes, Madeleine, this was by far the worst.

<smh>

Hi Y'all... I'm new here so please forgive me if I'm doing this wrong. I just saw this on WRAL and thought you all would enjoy reading it.
I also want to say THANK YOU for all of the post and keeping people updated.

http://wral.com/13541627

Did JR's mother attend during the prosecution case in chief? Or did she just show up for the sentencing phase?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back