NC - Two Duke Lacrosse Players Indicted

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
kgeaux said:
Well, it is good for Duke to invite the guys back. But why weren't they already continuing to attend Duke? Were they kicked out just because someone made an accusation against them?
Basically.

kgeaux said:
Well, it is good for Duke to invite the guys back. But why weren't they already continuing to attend Duke? Were they kicked out just because someone made an accusation against them?
"As circumstances have evolved in this extraordinary case, we have attempted to balance recognition of the gravity of legal charges with the presumption of your innocence," Duke officials wrote to the Seligmann family in a letter obtained by ABC News Law & Justice Unit.

"Now with the approach of a new term, we believe that circumstances warrant that we strike this balance differently. At this point, continued extension of the administrative leave would do unwarranted harm to your educational progress. We decided … to lift the administrative leave," the letter stated.

"We have decided that the right and fair thing to do is to welcome back Reade Seligmann and Collin Finnerty to resume their studies at Duke for the spring semester," Duke University president Richard Brodhead said in a statement released today.

"Although the students still face serious charges and larger issues require Duke's collective attention, the circumstances in this case have changed substantially, and it is appropriate that the students have an opportunity to continue their education."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter/story?id=2768179&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

So much for innocent until proven guilty, I guess.

Dark Knight said:

So much for innocent until proven guilty, I guess.

Yep. It's a sad time in USA for constitutional rights.

I do not know if this has been referenced elsewehere regarding this case, but I found it pretty interesting....

http://durhamwonderland.blogspot.com/2006/09/understanding-sane.html

The blog is by a professor in NY and he has been covering this from the start and is collaborating with another professor to write a book. Needless to say Duke Univ ain't gonna like what it has to say about it's staff who have gone so far to the left they can't see the truth in front of them. Yikes!

As I said sorry if it's been refrenced elsewhere, but you guys have done a great job with so much info on this and I cannot wade through all of it right now.

kidzndogznme said:
I don't understand. Do you mean if it was a white girl claiming assault from 3 black men, she would be on trial???
I did not see a reply to this, but I think what they meant was if the situation was reversed the accusers behavior and sexual past would be 'on trial'. Some of that has happened here, but not as much as we have seen with other cases.

As a woman I am outraged every time a woman make a flalse claim of rape because it just makes the world scrutinize the woman who are raped more closely. :mad:

I hope they splay both the DA and this woman for this travesty.

First, her story was that 20 of them raped her.....then she cut it down to a manageable three, saying there was vaginal, anal, and oral penetration with no condoms and that the boys had happy endings. She identified the three players from a seriously flawed lineup that only included the Duke lacrosse team. She said one was missing the moustache he had at the party...yet pictures of him before she showed up, NO MOUSTACHE. One of the others was not even there at the time so says his ATM receipt, a BLACK cabbie, and his dorm room key. When the bombshell was dropped that the DA conspired with the DNA lab to not release evidence that would eliminate these boys as suspects.....using the so-called victim's testimony as a litmus test.....she suddenly up and changes her story yet again. Maybe they didn't penetrate or maybe they did use condoms.

Sorry but this stinks to high heaven.

There was some altercation between the boys and the stripper. She showed up drunk or stoned and bleeding so they probably told her to leave without paying her. I am sure that there was some racial statements back and forth...she told someone that she was going to get her money from them boys (may have said WHITE boys). So she concocted the story the best her drunken/drugged mind could.

The DA was in a battle and losing to a woman he once fired and this was his rescue. Let's just say that in the Durham and UNC campus areas there are a lot of poor folks who really resent the hell out of DUKE and UNC....bunch of rich white boys and girls. There is his angle to win....the race card. Oh yes he did. He was strolling around those areas using his press conferences like jesse love-child jackson. Walking around those projects like al sharpton.

If Nifong was really, terribly interested in this case and has evidence that we common folk don't have...and assuming he really wants to see justice served....he would step aside and let someone else prosecute it. My esimation is that he planned to use it to get re-relected, drag out the case, let it die a slow death. But much like Scott Peterson, he failed to anticipate the media reaction and continued interest.

I hope that once this case unravels....and I would want to press it to a trial if I were these boys. Otherwise, say if the so-called victim just drops it by saying "the stress of the trial is just too much to bear" (if she has the choice to drop it). Or, if the DA has power to decided to go forward or drop it, then her refusal to testify "for fear of her life, she has been getting death threats" would terminate the case. Then there is no basis to go after the accused or the DA for whatever they can.

I would pursue both the DA and this woman until their death. She would be shaking that money maker going forward for me.

Here is an OUSTANDING article about the DA and this case: http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=Nzc3NTE4NzY1ZTdlZTY5ODZjOThkNjQ3ZTJjZWI4Mjc=

Cal

Calus 3...read this blog....http://durhamwonderland.blogspot.co...nding-sane.html There is an entry about how he 'used' certain people in the community to win the election. It is so unethical I cannot even comment, but it's done often and the people allow it to happen. Say a few words of 'support' and they fall for it, however in one blog he shows how some of the people didn't fall for it and even called him on it. Good for them. Wish there had been more voters in Durham like them, he would not have gotten elected then.

I haven't read that blog yet curious1....but I am happy to say that he has had ethics chrarges filed against him for those pre-election press conferences he had. He has also been asked to step aside.

I have the feeling that he will be disbarred when the whole truth about this case comes forward....as in him not even meeting with the accused until recently.

I think his career is kaput and I anticipate jail time for this chickee if she doesn't take the pre-emptive, face saving step of saying "I just can't stand the pressure, I am not testifying or going forward....I can't face those that did this to me in court, it will be too hard".

I sense bad things in these two people's futures.

Cal

Kyle Dowd filed the lawsuit Thursday against against Duke University and visiting associate professor Kim Curtis. Dowd, who graduated with David Evans in May 2006, was not indicted in the rape case but says that Professor Curtis gave him and another lacrosse player in class a failing grade in class as a form of retaliation after the Duke Lacrosse scandal broke. The two players were apparently receiving passing grades until the scandal, and Duke University revised their grades upward months after graduation.
This does not affect the pending sexual offense and kidnapping case against David Evans, Reade Seligmann, and Collin Finnerty. But it is significant in being the first of likely to be many legal and moral hits against Duke University - critics say that Duke failed to stand by its own students as they came under attack by members of the faculty and community

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=triangle&id=4905060

calus_3 said:
I hope they splay both the DA and this woman for this travesty.

First, her story was that 20 of them raped her.....then she cut it down to a manageable three, saying there was vaginal, anal, and oral penetration with no condoms and that the boys had happy endings. She identified the three players from a seriously flawed lineup that only included the Duke lacrosse team. She said one was missing the moustache he had at the party...yet pictures of him before she showed up, NO MOUSTACHE. One of the others was not even there at the time so says his ATM receipt, a BLACK cabbie, and his dorm room key. When the bombshell was dropped that the DA conspired with the DNA lab to not release evidence that would eliminate these boys as suspects.....using the so-called victim's testimony as a litmus test.....she suddenly up and changes her story yet again. Maybe they didn't penetrate or maybe they did use condoms.

Sorry but this stinks to high heaven.

[SNIP]

I would pursue both the DA and this woman until their death. She would be shaking that money maker going forward for me.

Here is an OUSTANDING article about the DA and this case: http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=Nzc3NTE4NzY1ZTdlZTY5ODZjOThkNjQ3ZTJjZWI4Mjc=

Cal

Best rundown on this case I've read yet. There are no heros here. The boys were loud mouthed bullies, the girls were hookers out for themselves, the DA willing to go to any lengths to win the election, Duke was in unprincipled CYA mode from the beginning, and so on. Political correctness has replaced rule of law and all horse sense and is ruining this country.

Sally said:

This lawsuit almost sounded absurd and like sour grapes until I read that this professor and 87 DUKE others had taken out a page in the paper thanking people who had circulated wanted posters around campus showing the entire Lacrosse team and denouncing them. How's that for guilt by association?

I wonder how this piece of trash feels now? I wonder if she will take an ad out with the 87 professors apologizing to the students for indicting them before they even were tried and found guilty of anything?

Cal

Agatha said:
Best rundown on this case I've read yet. There are no heros here. The boys were loud mouthed bullies, the girls were hookers out for themselves, the DA willing to go to any lengths to win the election, Duke was in unprincipled CYA mode from the beginning, and so on. Political correctness has replaced rule of law and all horse sense and is ruining this country.

Well, honestly, I doubt if I met the entire Lacrosse team that I would probably want to call any of them friends. I don't know that for fact, but I get that feeling. But they didn't rape anyone and didn't deserve what they got.

Cal

Agatha said:

One of the players had indeed been involved in some fighting in another incident, but how does that make all of them loud mouth bullies? We have only the word of the stripper that these guys were rude, and we all know how truthful HER words have turned out to be.

kgeaux said:
One of the players had indeed been involved in some fighting in another incident, but how does that make all of them loud mouth bullies? We have only the word of the stripper that these guys were rude, and we all know how truthful HER words have turned out to be.

Back at the beginning, neighbors told reporters that the team members living in the home, along with their guests, had been trouble makers in the neighborhood. The people living nearby had called the cops on them several times for loud parties and screaming racial slurs. Neighbors also backed up the second dancer's original complaint of racial slurs and name-calling toward her. Yes, they were arrogant, disrespectful bullies.

No, they didn't "deserve" being accused of rape when they were innocent, but they set the wheels in motion when they ordered two female strippers -- specifically requesting black strippers -- to a house full of drunk athletes. That is what you call "leading with your chin." They set themselves up. So did the girls.

Like I said, no heros here.

Do we know that previous complaints were made against the lacrosse team for racial slurs? I don't recall reading that anywhere. I do remember the neighbors' complaints about parties, drinking, and public urination...which describes a LOT of college men. No, you can't call them angels, but I don't think you can lump their behavior in with that of the accuser and Nifong, or say that they set themselves up to have their lives destroyed by having a party and hiring strippers.

MSM said:
Do we know that previous complaints were made against the lacrosse team for racial slurs? I don't recall reading that anywhere. I do remember the neighbors' complaints about parties, drinking, and public urination...which describes a LOT of college men. No, you can't call them angels, but I don't think you can lump their behavior in with that of the accuser and Nifong, or say that they set themselves up to have their lives destroyed by having a party and hiring strippers.

I am not suggesting that the team's culpability is on a par with the accuser and Nifong. Poor judgement ranks lower on the badness scale than outright illegality. I am merely suggesting that this trainwreck was originally set in motion by the actions of the players. Does the term "asking for trouble" ring a bell? I understand that prudence, care, personal responsibility and character have all gone out with the buggy whip, but natural consequences still follow personal behavior in this world. 'Nuff said.

Could you direct me to the documents that say the Lacrosse players specifically requested black strippers? I've never seen this before.

Agatha said:
Back at the beginning, neighbors told reporters that the team members living in the home, along with their guests, had been trouble makers in the neighborhood. The people living nearby had called the cops on them several times for loud parties and screaming racial slurs.
What? College students having loud parties? Incredible.

:waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member