UNSOLVED NC - Wilkes Co, Photo of Gagged Woman Tied To Chair, Circa 1970s or Early 80s

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There is also a chance that that might be the woman who contacted you Carl. Do you know how long they were married/had been dating? She obviously had been with him long enough to be able to recognize the inside of one of his past places he lived from the '70's.

Is the woman someone you ever talked to in person and you were able to see what she looked like?

I believe the ex. She has put herself at risk by stepping forward like this. Brave, honorable woman. I hope LE is pursuing this vigorously.

I wonder if the drapery under the speaker could be a flag

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

It is interesting to analyse the items in the room, however I think we need to remember that we have a pretty clear idea of who the possible/alleged abductor/gagger was and the location of the apartment from the backstory that CarlK got.

The focus and effort, imo, needs to be on who she is rather than where she is.

I agree. The only noteable thing about the room is an open window that might indicate that if there had been some kind of showdown it would have been hear outside that window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- whoever contacted Carl could be using a fake FB account, fake picture, etc. hell, it could BE THE GUY

I talked to her on the phone. She was definitely a female voice. I have no doubt that she believes what she is telling me.

- were the police ever contacted by the ex wife or...?

She didn't contact police because his family is well known in the area, and she was worried that they wouldn't believe her.

- guarantee that whoever contacted Carl is reading this thread
They probably haven't seen it, because all this happened two years ago. He would not have a reason to be looking for it, and Unless he googles something like "Angie Hamby", nothing that he would think of googling would get him to this thread. Neither his name nor her name are mentioned. Perhaps if someone from the neighborhood is looking for news on Angie Hamby, and then stumbles across this thread and recognizes either the woman or the apartment, then they might bring it to his attention.

I don't understand, why doesn't local LE pay her ex husband a visit with the actual photo and ask him about it, instead of just calling him. His ex wife said she thought he was involved in the disappearance of Angie Hamby and this woman is obviously not her.

They could have had a bitter divorce and the ex wife is trying to find something with him. We don't know. It could easily be cleared up if he sees the actual photo and say oh that was blah blah blah, she lives in in such such you can ask her about it. You think????

I don't know whether or not LE called him into their office to explain the photo, or the ex-wife's allegations. I'm sure they won't be keeping me updated on what they have or haven't done.

What items did she deem suspicious? Do you concur that they are suspicious?

What items did she deem suspicious? Do you concur that they are suspicious?

The only thing that she sent me that was suspicious was the pic. She had originally thought the three locks of long braided hair were suspicious, and might have belonged to a victim. But when I talked to her on the phone, she decided that the hair probably was his own.

Other than the hair and the pic, the only other thing in the envelope was a written letter (written by her) detailing his drug use, and his abuse of her, and indicating that he had bragged about hurting other women while he was abusing her. She said that she thought the local police to be corrupt and that his parents always showed up to get him off the hook whenever he got into trouble.

Has anyone been looking at murder cases where the victim was known but the murder was never solved? She may not be as unknown as we think. There is also the worse case scenarios of this being a rape/abduction that went unreported or a murder believed to be solved.

I mentioned the flag possibly being under the speaker because we don't even know where as in what country this picture was taken in! Considering that, there is no way to tell from hairstyle, curtains,etc at what time era this pic was taken! It could've been taken last year for all we know!

And then there's the red light reflection on the wall to (our) right, it seems she is looking right at the camera

And the ex-wife says she recognizes the apartment from being his from the 70's! So she has Known this individual for over 40 years and she now all of a sudden found this pic in his things! IMO sounds like some spiteful ploy, not being brave! Where is the ex-wife now? Possibly back together with this man so now solving the identity of this woman isn't a priority anymore. My opinion and thoughts only!

Considering the man went to the police and said that his ex was going to be making up stories about him tells me she had this picture for a while and was threatening him with it! If she was that concerned with who and why this woman was tied up then one would have to think that bringing that pic to police should've been top priority rather than dangling it in front of husband threatening him with it! Sounds like he didn't take her back so out of spite she started all this with the picture! My opinion

And the ex-wife says she recognizes the apartment from being his from the 70's! So she has Known this individual for over 40 years and she now all of a sudden found this pic in his things! IMO sounds like some spiteful ploy, not being brave! Where is the ex-wife now? Possibly back together with this man so now solving the identity of this woman isn't a priority anymore. My opinion and thoughts only!

Respectfully, I have a different take on this. Everything this woman says rings very true. It should be easy enough for LE to determine if she is being truthful.

Exactly about the LE. since there is no active case going on I guess I just assume that LE called bs on the story! Just seems kinda weird that only after they separate this lady comes up with this pic and also the story about Hamby lady being buried under his parents pool!! If it was her priority to solve these cases then she wouldn't of waited until they separated to shine a light on these possible kidnappings/homicides! Like I said it sounds kind of spiteful to me! My opinion only!

Has anyone been looking at murder cases where the victim was known but the murder was never solved? She may not be as unknown as we think. There is also the worse case scenarios of this being a rape/abduction that went unreported or a murder believed to be solved.

I found an interesting case in NC that was ruled an accident but her family believes she was held by someone and murdered:
Debbie Wolfe

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Debbie_Wolfe

Not sure how close this is to Wilkes County or if 1986 is too late for the date of the picture as I just found it.

ETA: She has a thread here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...yetteville-26-Dec-1985&highlight=Debbie+Wolfe

Off to read her thread now....

And then there's the red light reflection on the wall to (our) right, it seems she is looking right at the camera

I think we have to put our faith in CarlK since they have spoken with the woman and earlier stated they felt the woman was believable. CarlK has had discussions with the woman, we have not.

I will also defer to someone who knows photography but that red spot looks like something on the slide opposed to something captured on film.

The woman in the photo appears to have a natural olive compexion as CarlK mentioned, such as Armenian (As one, I recognize the coloring though it could be Italian or Hispanic IMO as well) and those are the types of missing persons that would best fit the possibility of finding this woman.

About the wife coming out after the divorce -- it doesn't have to be a poison pen or revenge motive. There could be several explanations within reason for not reporting earlier. 1. Psychological and physical threat to the wife if the husband was exposed during the marriage. The close proximity allows for intimidation and fear to control the wife. Once the close proximity is broken, the previously manipulated party feels confident to report past criminal behavior. 2. Threats to family members if exposed, except now with age and time maybe the family members have moved out of the area, gone to retirement homes, or died. The ex-wife then feels the pressure to remain silent is over and she can report past criminal behavior. 3. She just discovered evidence that supports his prior bragging of violence against women, and the photograph of a bound woman is sufficiently frightening that the ex-wife feels it is worth reporting.

Then she should've reported it to the police

She also sent carlk braids of hair.. and when she was asked about the hair she said she thinks it was his.. where is this hair now? Maybe it should be tested to rule out if it was the man's or a victim.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briankap
Back