NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. And toxics that people have discarded like old paint stripper, pesticides etc.

Also, if the landfill contained household garbage, the dog would be smelling a lot of decomposing blood people shed in ways that are legal and normal... sanitary napkins, kitchen towels used to stem blood flow after accidents, tissues people have used when emptying cysts at home, old wound dressings etc. A handler would be necessary to check the hits immediately and keep things moving.

Cadaver dogs aren't going to hit on just BLOOD. They are trained to detect the specific smells and gases caused when a BODY decomposes.

If they are looking for her leg they may be using something of hers (shirt / toy / blanket) with a tracking dog to track it.

Again, my guess is they have several dogs out there all with different intents and purposes.

On Wednesday morning, Elisa Baker appeared in court for a bond hearing. A judge upped her bond from $40,000 to $65,000, citing “disturbing and unsettling” allegations surrounding the charge.

G-d bless that judge! Let's hope it keeps climbing up...

I wonder how long they have been at the landfill? And if they are keeping reporters back.....well wonder if it's more of a crime scene than search?

Bond up.
Leg info.
Landfill.
Presser.

I think we have something.

Some info about dogs and landfills.
Again, I will repeat, if HRD dogs are trained properly, they will NOT hit on pads, tampons, bandaids, human waste and the like. There are dogs out there that are trained using these things unfortunately and this is just another reason why this training method is such a bad idea, it makes them worthless in many situations.
Landfills are VERY dangerous places to search for both K9s and people. Not only are there sharp objects like metal, but you also have to deal with needles, human waste and naturally occurring gases which all can be extremely dangerous. There are a lot of dog handlers who will not work in a landfill and I do not blame them at all (in fact I fully support that decision, it's just too dangerous IMO).

bumping up
sarx is a verified professional and works with dogs

Police Search Landfill In Zahra Baker Case; Judge Ups Stepmother's Bond

On Wednesday morning, Elisa Baker appeared in court for a bond hearing. A judge upped her bond from $40,000 to $65,000, citing “disturbing and unsettling” allegations surrounding the charge.

Oops! Hit enter before I started typing!

I wonder what is meant by "disturbing and unsettling" allegations? Well, I can guess, but I am terribly curious exactly what was alleged.

I wonder how long they have been at the landfill? And if they are keeping reporters back.....well wonder if it's more of a crime scene than search?

the first tweet I caught was at 10am... http://twitter.com/wcnc check out their latest tweet:!!!!!!

A Catawba County judge has raised Elisa Baker's bond from $40,000 to $65,000, saying Baker is a flight risk and a risk to the community.

They say Zahra's prosthetic leg was missing. I would think this rules out any thought that she was taken in the night, as I don't expect she sleeps with it on. (I really don't think she was "taken" at all, of course. Just wondering about the ostensible explanation.)

Bond up.
Leg info.
Landfill.
Presser.

I think we have something.
they are keeping reporters back at the SO where the briefing will be (I would link but I forget what page it was on brb)

Hickory police, along with several other law enforcement agencies, are searching a Caldwell County landfill for "a piece of evidence" in the case of a disabled missing 10-year-old girl, police announced Wednesday.

Zahra Clare Baker was reported missing Oct. 9, but investigators have said they don’t believe the story given by her father and stepmother. Police believe the girl is dead.

A search team is hoping to find clues to her disappearance in the landfill at 2800 Cheraw Road in Lenoir, according to Hickory police.

Members of the media are not allowed at the landfill site. Instead, police are asking them to stay at the Caldwell County Sheriff's Office where a media briefing will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday.

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/8481000/

bump for teh

Amber Fairchild told the Judge EB received 10k from a man in London.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Zahras-stepmother-due-in-court-105344013.html

Amber Fairchild told the judge that Baker told her she wanted to leave the state during a recent jail visit. Fairchild also said her mother had gotten $10,000 from a man in London who she chats with online.
The judge ruled that Baker was a flight risk and a risk to the community. He said that Baker must wear an electronic monitoring bracelet if she makes bond.

snipped from your link.... WHAAAAAAT?????

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/25451534/detail.html

same link as ^^

A team from the Hickory Police Department, along with agents from the State Bureau of Investigation, evidence recovery team members and agents from the FBI and U.S. Marshal Service are searching the Foothills Environmental Landfill in Caldwell County. The landfill is located at 2800 Cheraw Road in Lenoir. In a release, police said they are searching for a “piece of evidence.”

As in Prosthetic?

Sounds like a tip?

Of course...the 10 k may be yet another one of her "stories"....I forget what an exciting life she has made up for herself. pppffffttttttt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member