NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct. 2010 #30

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Police Return to Area Where Prosthetic Leg Found in Search for Missing North Carolina Girl

October 28, 2010

Authorities are scouring a brushy area of North Carolina where investigators found a prosthetic leg believed to belong to a missing 10-year-old girl.

Hickory Police Maj. Clyde Deal told FoxNews.com that a team of investigators returned Thursday to an area of Caldwell County where searchers recovered an artificial leg consistent to the one worn by Zahra Baker.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/27/police-prosthetic-leg-search-missing-north-carolina-girl/

So EB assisted with the Dudley Shoals, Christy Rd searches but was NOT the tip that led to the renewed search of home and digging going on now. If they are still searching the road sites, that means they haven't found ALL the evidence EB led them to expect they would find.

MOO

Wouldnt the BIO mother have this information and it was already supplied to LE or is just phone call away. I would think that the mother would have the paperwork/insurance/doctor that Zahra saw for the prostetic?

It's due diligence.

ETA: I doubt bio mom was the one with the health care records considering AB had custody of her when she was diagnosed. So perhaps paperwork was lost etc, or perhaps LE just doesn't trust any layperson to provide this info. KWIM?

Wouldnt the BIO mother have this information and it was already supplied to LE or is just phone call away. I would think that the mother would have the paperwork/insurance/doctor that Zahra saw for the prostetic?

there are conflicting reports about mom's involvement in Zahra's life. All of them agree she was not a very present person in Zahra's existence for whatever reason.

It would not surprise me if the wood chipper was used to try and cover up and destroy evidence, but it was NOT her. Not sure why this still keeps coming up over and over, when LE has already commented on this. Other than the gore factor?????

Do you have a link that LE says woodchipper is NOT involved? Please share it if so. Anyone?

Ok... I just went through and removed several posts discussing SM's age and looks. Knock it off!

If any of you have a question about anything please PM me or any of the Mods so we can keep the thread on topic and about Zahra. Thanks.

Ima

I'm going to take a positive spin here. Obviously LE has been gathering TONS of evidence in the last few days. Some have asked and speculated WHY wasn't this done sooner? LE has to have probable cause to do certain searches which have to be granted by a Judge. Granted it was declared a homicide early on, but no body and no crime scene. LE has to follow protocol no matter how maddening and frustrating it is to us. I think with local PD, State and FBI forensics on board there will be an arrest very soon and we will know what happened to precious Zahra. I have to say I'm a little surprised that LE didn't already have the serial number for her prosthetic leg so that comparison could be done and save alot of time.

I truly believe on this case there will be resolution and Justice will be served.

I've been following Zahra's case although I haven't posted much. I googled disposal of body in wood chipper because I recall a case in which a woodchipper was used...Halle Crafts murder and disposal at the hands of her husband Richard Crafts in 1986 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helle_Crafts While googling I happened across this forum Dead body disposal? - Zoklet.net where the question was asked "realistically what could one do to get rid of a body?" The answers on that page are horrifying!

OK so I had to go to the site, heaven help me if I'm ever a suspect in anything. Anyway, first answer was a blast furnace and he's right. A local girl was murdered, put in a furnace at a lumber yard and only way LE found out was the guilty party told someone, who told someone.... LE searched that furnace, never found a trace. Course it had been many months since the murder so there wasn't anything left to find.

It would not surprise me if the wood chipper was used to try and cover up and destroy evidence, but it was NOT her. Not sure why this still keeps coming up over and over, when LE has already commented on this. Other than the gore factor?????

I think because LE has been going through the yard with a fine tooth comb.

there are conflicting reports about mom's involvement in Zahra's life. All of them agree she was not a very present person in Zahra's existence for whatever reason.

Ahh true, gmom then maybe? I believe someone has the paperwork somewhere this is not something that is just tossed because its no longer needed.

Have we heard about drugs at the house?

FWIW it could be they're drunks or just ignorant as he((.
imo

I believe i read in the warrant ( last page?) that they seized drug paraphanelia in the home?

I've been following Zahra's case although I haven't posted much. I googled disposal of body in wood chipper because I recall a case in which a woodchipper was used...Halle Crafts murder and disposal at the hands of her husband Richard Crafts in 1986 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helle_Crafts While googling I happened across this forum Dead body disposal? - Zoklet.net where the question was asked "realistically what could one do to get rid of a body?" The answers on that page are horrifying!

Yup Horrifying is right !!!! lol

Do you have a link that LE says woodchipper is NOT involved? Please share it if so. Anyone?

Earlier this week, a K-9 unit alerted police to a wood chipper on the property. A K-9 unit dog handler told Channel 9 that the hit was not on the wood chipper itself but the engine, and the blood could have come from a cut on a worker’s hand.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/25389806/detail.html

K9 crews indicated earlier in the week that traces of human remains were found on wood processing equipment in an area where Baker's father once worked, but detectives with the Burke County Sheriff's Office said that is no longer a solid lead.

http://charlotte.news14.com/content...ome-up-empty-so-far-as-zahra-search-continues

I wonder if the serial number was scratched off of the leg, is that something that is possible to do? I don't know where the # is located, but I do know that each mold is unique to fit the bone structure of a certain person. (Requires a print, then it's scanned into a computer, the the leg is formed to fit.) This could be why it's taking so long to identify the leg, it could be some computer work. (Again, I used to watch a lot of tv :"How It's Made" on Science Channel.)
http://www.enotes.com/how-products-encyclopedia/artificial-limb

The records could be found in a matter of minutes, I've spent time in the records department at many QLD hospitals so I don't believe this is likely. I think that it is paperwork holding this up but I guess they have to do it the right way legally for when this goes to trial.

Exactly. Australia surely has laws equivalent to our HIPAA laws that would require certain documents to be filed before they can turn over confidential medical information regarding anyone, let alone a minor. And in order for the evidence chain to be complete and the prosthesis to be admissible in court they have to make sure not to cut any corners.

I wonder if the serial number was scratched off of the leg, is that something that is possible to do? I don't know where the # is located, but I do know that each mold is unique to fit the bone structure of a certain person. (Requires a print, then it's scanned into a computer, the the leg is formed to fit.) This could be why it's taking so long to identify the leg, it could be some computer work. (Again, I used to watch a lot of tv :"How It's Made" on Science Channel.)
http://www.enotes.com/how-products-encyclopedia/artificial-limb

From my research the answer is no. I am remote so I can't pull up that info right now, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GFinder