ND - Dru Sjodin, 22, Grand Forks, 22 Nov 2003 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love_Mama, thanks for posting the article.
This tradgedy has touched so many hearts.

Every time I see a picture of Dru, I could cry.

And the murderer sits quietly in a warm jail while all of these relatives and friends search for where AR left here, not saying a word!

This case makes me very very angry! I am so disappointed in the State Attorney as well, because he boldly annpounced right after AR was caught that there were No Deals....I don't wnat that creep to have any deal, but, maybe they could have found what he did with Dru, so the family would know where she is.

Does anyone read on Sandra Blelanger's site?? She had posted that either the 'folks' or Dru herself (through EVP) sent a message that she would be found in a Jeep on a farm in the area. She gave the name of the farm's owner; but apparently someone tried to contact him, and Sandra was quite upset about it.

I'm wondering if Sandra told LE this information?? Or, would they even have followed up on it considering the source??

Hi Peek!

Good to see you ;) I belong but haven't read there in a while. I'll have to go look today. Thanks for the tip. I just feel so horribly sad for her family. They are still trudging through search after search to find their girl. She was so special to them.

I wish the little girlie in Minnesota would be found.

Scandi

This article is interesting about the struggle in the back seat and the window scuffs!

Carlie

Suspect's borrowed car showed signs of a struggle
When the man accused of killing Carlie Brucia returned the car, "you could see something happened" inside it, a business partner says.
By LEANORA MINAI, Times Staff Writer
Published February 8, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Times photo: Michael Rondou]
Stephanie Thayer prays for Carlie Brucia as she leaves flowers outside her home.

SARASOTA - The yellow station wagon Joseph P. Smith borrowed at the time Carlie Brucia went missing was returned a day late with about 300 extra miles on the odometer and the back of a front seat scuffed by an apparent struggle, a close friend of Smith's said Saturday.

Ed Dinyes, 44, said Smith borrowed the 1992 Buick Century last Sunday from a friend he had been living with and returned it with smudge marks on the back windows. Smith was only supposed to take the car for an hour, but he didn't return it until the following day, Dinyes said.

Dinyes said the owner, Jeffrey Pincus, asked Smith what happened inside the car when he finally brought it back.

"He really didn't have an answer," Dinyes said.

Carlie, 11, was abducted last Sunday and her body was found Friday beneath a pile of brush at a Sarasota church.

A surveillance camera aimed at the parking lot of a carwash captured a stream of digital images of a man in a mechanic's shirt confronting Carlie, grabbing her arm, then leading her away.

On Saturday, while mourners left flowers, notes and teddy bears at Carlie's home, lawyers for Smith briefly appeared in a Manatee County courtroom. Smith, who has been arrested at least 13 times in Florida since 1993, including in two attacks on women, is being held without bail. His next court appearance is March 12.

Carlie's slaying has prompted Florida's attorney general to investigate stiffening penalties for offenders who violate the terms of their release. Smith is a drug felon who had been free despite violating probation.

"You can't help but think that some of the statutes are too permissive," Attorney General Charlie Crist told the Associated Press. "It's important we review putting more teeth in our statutes. ... It's got to be ratcheted up very quickly."

Sheriff's investigators continued to ask the public for help in finding Carlie's pink backpack and tracking the car's whereabouts during the time Smith is alleged to have been driving it.

Dinyes, who opened Saurus auto repair with Smith last year in Sarasota, provided a more detailed account of Smith's movements last week.

Three days before Carlie's abduction, the transmission on Smith's car broke, Dinyes said. Dinyes, who sports a tattoo of motorcycle pistons on his right arm that Smith inked himself, offered up a van that had been in the shop. He thought it would be perfect for Smith and his three young daughters.

Dinyes wanted to help out because he knew Smith's wife wanted a divorce and had kicked him out of their house for using drugs. After all, the two men met five years ago when Smith stopped to help Dinyes when his motorcycle ran out of gas.

Smith was in the shop Friday, working on the van, Dinyes said. He replaced the fuel pump.

On Sunday, the day Carlie disappeared, Smith borrowed the car from Pincus, his roommate, Dinyes said.

The station wagon was soon captured in the surveillance video, three minutes before Carlie's abduction from Evie's Car Wash. Bloodhounds had followed Carlie's scent to the carwash, but it abruptly disappeared. The owners reviewed their video and discovered the chilling scene of Carlie being led away.

When Pincus got the station wagon back, it was Monday, 16 hours after Smith borrowed it.

"When it came back, the back part of it was destroyed," Dinyes said Pincus told him. "He basically said you could see something happened."

Pincus' wife, Naomi, would not comment Saturday.

Dinyes was off on Monday, celebrating his wife's birthday, but heard from others at the shop that when Smith came into work he was teary-eyed and upset. Smith told co-workers he had high blood pressure and couldn't work, and a friend gave him a ride home.

Clinton Van Zandt, a retired FBI agent who worked in the agency's Behavioral Science Unit, said Saturday the condition of the station wagon suggests Carlie struggled to get away.

She may have been restrained, he said.

"It sounds like she fought right up to the end," Van Zandt said. "It suggests either she was fighting to get out of the car, and/or he assaulted her, and she was fighting him at the time."

The New York Post on Saturday quoted an unnamed source close to the investigation saying, "The initial review of the body indicates she put up a real struggle before she died. She fought desperately."

Investigators have released no details of the circumstances surrounding Carlie's murder, saying only that she died of "homicidal violence."

Van Zandt said the roughly 300 miles Dinyes said were logged on the station wagon may explain why investigators are still asking for the public's help in tracking the vehicle.

"The question is, did he burn those miles up looking for a victim like a shark, looking for someone," Van Zandt said, "or did he find this victim and take her to a distant location and bring her back?"

Van Zandt said investigators may still be looking for the spot where she was murdered. He said that's why finding the backpack is such a priority.

"The backpack is going to link everything together," he said. "If they can't establish whatever assault or murder took place in the car, than perhaps there is another location."

- Times staff writer Carrie Johnson contributed to this report. Leanora Minai can be reached at minai@sptimes.com or 727 893-8406.

scandi said:
Hi Peek!

Good to see you ;) I belong but haven't read there in a while. I'll have to go look today. Thanks for the tip. I just feel so horribly sad for her family. They are still trudging through search after search to find their girl. She was so special to them.
I wish the little girlie in Minnesota would be found.
Scandi

Hi Scandi!!!! I wish by some miracle she would be found alive; but that is highly unlikely. I pray for her family going through this horrible time.
Here is the page where Sandra updates her findings:

http://groups.msn.com/Dimensions/drusjodincase.msnw

Hi Peek!

I just read that this morning over there and amazed! Sandra said all her findings have been turned over to Dru's site, so the police must keep up on what is written there, or emailed to the site.

There is a poster driving over from Grand Forks to try to find that farm today and the fence to jump over. The 'jeep' might be covered with snow so she might be hard to find until the thaw sets in.

To me it would be elemental! LOP! They know who owns that farm, and it is very close or adjacent to a place where Alf worked before, so he knows the area really well. Why don't they go to this man who owns the farm, have him give a listing and location of all the old cars and trucks abandoned or not in use on his farm - it is said there are many. The go uncover them from the snow and ice until - voila! - they will find the correct jeep.

I read her body is naked in the passanger seat, then that he put her in a box. Maybe he transported her to the location in a box, then lifted her out and put her in the jeep. They did find 3 empty boxes!

Scandi

Wow, I just read that update too, I will be floored if she is there and they find her this week, what does anyone have to lose by checking.

Hey Mindy's, HI ;) On TV EARLY LOL this morning I heard a bleep again about something new in Dru's case. Did you hear anything? Sandra thought she's be located anytime soon now, right?

I thied to post over there today but can't. Every time I try I get this run time error and it says do you want to degug! Someone here always told me to say no to that.

Scandi

Scandi, do you have Ad-Aware??

Dru's parents, John Walsh, a few other's were on LKL, last night, I caught it a bit late but I didn't detect anything really new happening, perhaps I should go and look for the transcript of the show to post here.

Scandi, where did you see that someone was going to that farm to look for Dru today?? I checked on Sandra's board but her last update was Feb. 6th.
That board is hard for me to navigate for some reason.
I also e-mailed our friends in the Grand Forks area about Sandra's site; haven't heard from them as yet.

Thanks Mindys! You're a love ;} I'll do it later today.

Scandi

Hi Mindy's,

I saw a thread there about going to look for that farm that had Grand Forks in the title.

Scandi

Ya saw it where Scandi. Are people (searcher's) going to look??

those of you looking for ad-ware removal tools should know that there are two types of these pesky little programs that work in the background. ad-ware tracks your surf habits and assist the vendor in what type of pop up ads to bomb you with. the other is what is known as spyware, this is similar to ad ware, except it allows the vendor to see all of your on line activities without you even knowing that it is there. the lavasoft will remove ads only. not spyware. I found a free version of ad/spyware removal tool at webroot.com, it is easy to use and can be config. to work as a browser shield and such to always be looking for those little pesky programs..

Hi
Danny, Is a 'run-time error' one of these pasky programs? Is it hard to install? I went to ad-ware, and not being extremely computer literate, I didn't know where to click!

Thanks ahead of time. You guys are great. I can't post on Dimensions because of this. I have never cleared cookies in my puter either as I don't know how to do this. Maybe that doesn't affect this though!

Scandi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member