ND - Dru Sjodin, 22, Grand Forks, 22 Nov 2003 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he is capable of planning. The man does not make me think of intelligence. I feel he used the speaker wire to tie her up rather than to dispose of Dru. My guess is that the second phone call was from Dru and that she was caught trying to use the phone. Whatever... he's never going to tell the truth.

Not capable of planning? This guy spent 23 years in prison!

He survived prison, got out found a job and found another victim.

Now he's being protected by his surrogate mother ( the system)

Bottom line is most people just talk about this stuff but never do a dad gum thing to make a difference................talk without action.

Thanks to Love Mama and Mitty for the information about the personal alarms. I live in an area that has had several "attempted abductions" of women from parking lots (mall and downtown area) over the last year and a half, and you've both spurred me on to purchase one of these.

Love_Mama said:
Mitty....thank's for the site...I think I paid too much for mine. However..I got free priority shipping.
xxxxo
mama

No problem Mama. After reading about the personal alarms here in the forum, I went out and start looking for information on the internet. I hadn't thought about a personal alarm until I read it here, but now I am thinking of getting one for myself, my neices, sister's-in-law, and my mother. These are a great idea. I know there is no guarantee this, or anything else, will prevent something from happening, but this is an affordable item, and could help.... Better than doing nothing!

Morning,

Does anyone have info on the new search for Dru tht I heard about on the news last night. Did this monster give them some info?

Scandi

Shocking allegations from a former prison mate of Alphonso Rodriguez, Jr. He says the Department of Corrections had plenty of warning that the convicted sex offender may strike again.

The Department of Corrections admits it made a mistake by letting Rodriguez go free. And Governor Pawlenty's already moving forward with plans to change the state's sex offender release process. But tonight, you'll hear from a Moose Lake inmate who says you haven't heard the full story yet.

Full Story

scandi said:
Morning,

Does anyone have info on the new search for Dru tht I heard about on the news last night. Did this monster give them some info?
Scandi
Got this from the Dru Message Boards:
There are two separate search efforts scheduled at present.

*January 17th and 18th will be an all-volunteer effort searching areas West
of Grand Forks.
*January 22nd, 23rd and 24th will be a combined effort, organized by the
family, using some resources from this group and overseen by local LE. This
search will probably be outside of Crookston, although that may change.

Not sure if new info has came out or not, can't find any info about it.

scandi said:
Morning,

Scandi

I heard yesterday (friday) on FOX, that the search will be conducted by the family on January 22, to commenerate Dru's disappearance on Nov 22.

It will involve her family, They plan to search various places that LE did not search.

Also heard at the same time that the creep is NOT speaking!!!

Even though there is a Gag Order, the creeps defence atty..has been having lots of face time with reporters, and, apparently the Judge is going to do something soon.

If Dru's family is going to conduct a search for her body in areas that haven't been previously searched, what are they waiting for? I'm glad they're going to do it, but why wait for the 22nd? I don't understand why it's important to them to memorialize the date of her disappearance in this way, when searching now could produce her remains.

Edited to add that I just saw the post stating that volunteers will search on the 17th, etc. Why not now? Is there too much snow?

Many volunteers have searched for Dru, but paid searchers are needed, often with specialized equipment. People with these types of equipment already have volunteered many hours, but there is a limit as to how much time they can be expected to contribute. I believe there was a fund raiser recently that raised $3,000, which is probably why there will be another search. It's not like you can just go out and walk fields for miles, although I suspect the family has probably done this.

Hi, and thanks for answering me . When I half-heard this on the news, my heart literally skipped a beat. I so wanted her to be found. She was trapped and killed like she was an animal he was hunting. And my heart could see her struggle and feel the pain her family felt when they couldn't find her.

I hope the Crookston search is forthcoming, mainly because he lived near there. I hope they have seached the mom's house inside and out, with something that could detect her. Oh, guess dogs would do that, if the mom let them in with the dogs. Could see her up in an attic where you normally wouldn't look.

Scandi

Last night I drove from a university event home. The trip was about 5 hours. About an hour from home I absolutely needed to use the bathroom. Gas stations seemed non-existent, but there was a rest stop coming up; in fact, it was quite nice. However, as I entered the stop, there was only one car in the lot, and its owner appeared to be rumaging through the trash. I absolutely felt unsafe, but you can bet I was aware of my surroundings before leaving the building for my car. (The guy was still going through the trash.)

One way I would have felt more protected and less isolated would have been for the rest stop NOT to separate trucks and autos. And, an alarm would have made me feel better. You can bet I purchased one today!

dannyodie said:
I have also read where one of her shoes was located beneath a bridge at a river, were there places before getting to the bridge where one could pull off the roadway? I am from the south so I don't know much about when the weather turns to freezing temps enough to freeze the river, was the river just beginning to freeze that time of year or was it still flowing, if she were weighted down with stuff then naturally she would sink. the dive teams, have they found anything at all? could he just throw her over and the current sweep her downstream?

I think she's in the river, and if she is, she won't be found til spring when the snow's gone. She probably wasn't weighed down with anything, but maybe. If she's in there, she is most likely caught up on something like dead tree branches below the waterline, and that would hold her down.

Life is at times so unfair. Dru seemed such a vivacious young lady at her prime, so filled with life. How can an individual live, knowing that he has committed this crime? How can he not have a conscience? There will be no jury that will show sympathy.

Trino said:
Life is at times so unfair. Dru seemed such a vivacious young lady at her prime, so filled with life. How can an individual live, knowing that he has committed this crime? How can he not have a conscience? There will be no jury that will show sympathy.
I feel the same way as you do. :(
And The killer won't talk. He is hiding behind his disgusting Atty.
But, Dru had no one to protect her!
This is such a heartbreaking case. :rolleyes:

I wish I could say that Dru would be found alive. But I think he he got what he wanted from her and was done. He didn't want to be caught again so he got rid of the evidence. I believe Dru's body is in the river. But...Dru's spirit lives on. Watching over those that care and rocking Connor!

Doyle said:
the other thread was getting too long, and slightly off topic... I have made 2 threads, one for discussion, and for for new information...

please post new information only here.
startribune.com

Hearing for Sjodin kidnap suspect delayed

Associated Press
Published 01/15/2004

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- A preliminary hearing for the Minnesota man charged with kidnapping University of North Dakota student Dru Sjodin has been delayed until March so he can be examined by a psychiatrist.

Grand Forks County Magistrate David Vigeland set a new hearing date of March 5 for Alfonso Rodriguez Jr.. The hearing had been scheduled for Feb. 4.

Rodriguez' attorney, David Dusek, asked for more time ``because of the uncertainty of the mental status'' of his client.

Sonja Clapp, assistant Grand Forks County state's attorney, joined in the defense motion, saying the extra time is needed to get Rodriguez' records from the Minnesota prison system.

Rodriguez, 50, a convicted rapist, remains jailed in Grand Forks on $5 million bail. He was arrested Dec. 1 in his hometown of Crookston, Minn.

Sjodin, 22, of Pequot Lakes, Minn., disappeared Nov. 22 from the parking lot of a Grand Forks mall. She has not been found. Dusek said earlier that Rodriguez has denied any involvement in her disappearance.

Northeast Central District Judge Lawrence Jahnke on Wednesday approved Dusek's request that Fargo psychiatrist Dr. Edward Kelly be hired to evaluate Rodriguez.

Kelly testified earlier this week at the sentencing of Paul Sambursky, a former University of North Dakota student who pleaded guilty to assaulting five women in and around campus.

Jahnke has barred attorneys in the Rodriguez case from talking with the media.

© Copyright 2004 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

xxxxxxoo
mama.......don't know if we can link yet......so am pasting the story.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/nation/7780451.htm

Posted on Fri, Jan. 23, 2004
Dru Sjodin disappearance - a mother and father look
Allan Sjodin and Linda Walker continue search
By STEPHEN J. LEE
Grand Forks (N.D.) Herald

More photos Herald photo by John Stennes
A group of family and friends look for UND student Dru Sjoden, missing since November search the banks of a ditch in Polk County on Thursday morning.

Linda Walker and Allan Sjodin drove together around Polk County on Thursday with the unenviable task of looking for places where their daughter may have been left by the man charged with making her disappear.

Joined by about 20 other searchers - relatives and friends - Dru Sjodin's parents braved bone-chilling temperatures made colder by a brisk morning wind.

It was the first time for Dru Sjodin's mother to get out and search the stretching Red River Valley land around Crookston, the hometown of Alfonso Rodriguez Jr.

He remains in the Grand Forks

jail, charged with kidnapping Sjodin Nov. 22 from a Grand Forks shopping mall parking lot. Imprisoned for more than half his life for three sex crimes involving kidnapping and sexually assaulting women, Rodriguez, 50, has denied any involvement in Sjodin's disappearance. That means he hasn't told investigators much about Sjodin's whereabouts.

Hope remains

Prosecutors say they have evidence of Sjodin's blood in Rodriguez's car. On the two-month anniversary of her vanishing, searching for her would seem as bleak as the winter day.

But Walker and Sjodin remain steadfast in hoping against hope and graciously handle the interminable news media pressure.

They said that while they early on attempted to contact Rodriguez to seek help, now they are focused on searching for their daughter. Cousins, siblings and friends are around them, helping search.

Sjodin and Walker are divorced but have kept a united front in the search.

He has been in Grand Forks nearly every week since Nov. 22, when Sjodin disappeared, driving the countryside in Polk and Grand Forks counties, looking.

She has been to Grand Forks more than once in that time, but never out on a search like this, Walker said.

She and a close friend, Liz Nelson of Duluth, spent the day driving back and forth between Beltrami and Maple Lake, sometimes with two teams of bloodhound handlers. Allan Sjodin was with them for part of the time.

She keeps her hopes and spirits high, buoyed by "Dru's spirit, who she is and who she is about," Walker said. "I'm not naive. But as a mother, as a parent, I think anybody would understand that you can strive to fight for your child and find the means. That's what gets us through."

The day started with temperatures at 15 below zero as the search party mustered in Crookston. The news media, including Twin Cities reporters and photographers attracted again by the first large search effort since last month, joined a long caravan of vehicles.

A rectangular area roughly six miles wide, stretching from six miles west of Beltrami, Minn., to six miles east of the small town of 101 people was covered, said Bob Heales. It was an area just southeast of what had been closely covered by law enforcement-led searches in November and December, Heales said.

"We covered about 70 square miles, more than we expected," said the Denver private investigator and Sjodin family friend. "We will start east of there tomorrow."

Walker and Sjodin went with the two bloodhound teams to check an area near Maple Lake, at the lake's outlet on the north side where the water was still unfrozen.

According to law enforcement investigators, Rodriguez was known to fish on the lake and was familiar with the area, which also is along the route he traveled to work, said Heales.

Cold doesn't help

But while cold temperatures normally don't hinder blood hounds' acute smelling abilities, Thursday was a little too much for the dogs, said Denny Adams, the Conde, S.D., owner of Dakota Territory Search Dog. His , Calamity Jane, is 10 and a real veteran.

"She searched for the Olympic bomber, that Rudolph guy, in the North Carolina mountains," Adams said. "I've taken her over to East Africa for a search."

A couple of 15-minute sessions of snuffling through snow didn't work well for her, though.

"If it was just 15 degrees warmer, it would make a big difference," said Adams at noon, giving her the rest of the day off. Nolan Baldwin, of Edgeley, N.D., works with Adams, using his own bloodhound, Jethro, who is 5.

The human searchers stayed close to their vehicles, too, walking in ditches and through grassy areas.

"As Minnesotans, it's cold, but not as cold as we know it can be," Walker said. "We are thankful the winds have ceased and died off. When you are out there walking, you can stay somewhat warm. Certainly, the weather is something that you don't pay attention to when you are on a mission."

Boyfriend searches

Chris Lang, Dru's boyfriend, who last heard her voice on her cell phone Nov. 22 at the moment investigators think she was abducted, explained why he was back to trudge through hard-packed snow drifts and over frozen ditch water along fields barren of all but a frozen white.

"She's the woman I love," he explained. "She's still out there."

More searchers, perhaps 50 or more, are expected to join the group today and Saturday, Heales said.

Areas on both sides of U.S. Highway 2 east of Mentor, Minn., will be covered, he said.

Walker, who is staying in Grand Forks, will keep on.

The Dru Sjodin story has captured interest of people worldwide and she hears from many of them, Walker said.

Stopping for a coffee break in the Beltrami Mall Cafe, Sjodin and Walker were recognized instantly by Sue Anderson, who served them.

"Your money's no good here," she said. "Our hearts are with you."

That kind of response helps, Walker said.

"It feels wonderful to be close to all these people who have been so tremendously supportive of my family," she said. "So that feels good, helping us keep Dru's voice alive."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reach Lee at (701) 780-1237, or (800) 477-6572, extension 237; e-mail slee@gfherald.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curiosities