ND - Dru Sjodin, 22, Grand Forks, 22 Nov 2003 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
englishleigh said:
So he will be tried in North Dakota? Good. They have the death penalty, right, where MN does not?

Right. Also, I guess the defense asked for a delay in the trial date and the request was not granted.

http://wcco.com/local/local_story_156142214.html
Jun 5, 2006 1:18 pm US/Central

Juror Preparations Underway For Rodriguez Trial

(AP) Fargo, N.D. Potential jurors are filling out questionnaires to prepare for the July 6 trial of Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., charged in the death of college student Dru Sjodin.....An estimated 600 potential jurors are expected to fill out questionnaires this week.

Rodriguez's federal court trial is expected to last about 12 weeks. Prosecutors have said they plan to seek the death penalty if he is convicted.
(© 2006 The Associated Press. All Rights

scandi said:
Hi Bobbiesangel,

I think he doesn't just plead guilty as he has no 'balls' to stand up and do the honerable thing.

So awful. For me, Dru is a shining light that represents every girl who has ever been kidnapped and senselessly murdered.

Scandi

I feel the same way about Dru. It's strange how certain people just leave such an imprint on a person's heart. It's not that every life isn't precious and mourned for but for some reason Dru has a piece of my heart...just like Laci.

wondering22 said:
Please let us know what you learn from Court TV.

I sent Beth K. a email today and asked her about this trial and the trials for the killers of Jessica Lunsford and Dylan Groene. I asked if she would email me back so hopfully she will take a minute and do that. I'll post it here if I hear from her.

I'm not sure if this is posted on a thread somewhere around here or not but if it is please just delete this message.

Case of slain N.D. student goes to trial

By DAVE KOLPACK
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

FARGO, N.D. -- The abduction of 22-year-old Dru Sjodin from a shopping center parking lot and the discovery of her body five months later, after an emotional search, has led to major revisions of sex offender laws in two states and to North Dakota's first federal death penalty case.

Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., a 53-year-old convicted sex offender, is to go on trial Thursday in federal court in Bismarck. He has pleaded not guilty to a charge of kidnapping resulting in the death of the University of North Dakota student more than two years ago.

More at link:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1110AP_Slain_Student_Trial.html

One thing to watch in the trial is if they will actually give the death penalty. This article talks quite a bit about it giving both the pros and cons.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/state/minnesota/14963035.htm

Even when Minnesota and North Dakota sat on the frontier, its residents hesitated to impose the death penalty. Minnesota's last execution was in 1906. North Dakota last put a criminal to death in 1905.

Those who support reinstating the death penalty in Minnesota said the Rodriguez case could bolster their cause, demonstrating that capital punishment should be available for such heinous crimes tried in state court.

Human rights advocates are also watching the case and say they hope it doesn't reignite a state debate on capital punishment.

It wouldn't be the first time Sjodin's death pressed lawmakers to action. Sjodin's slaying and the arrest of Rodriguez — a high-level sex offender who was released from prison six months before the abduction — provoked outrage, sparking a series of changes in how Minnesota and North Dakota handle violent sexual predators.

Sjodin, 22, grew up in Pequot Lakes, Minn., and attended the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks

More at link.
Old Broad

I believe this fat troll will get the death penalty. If anyone should get it he sure as heck should. If they hadn't let him out of prison Dru would still be alive. I don't think that LWOP is good enough for this creep. I feel bad for Dru's parents having to sit in court day after day looking at the killer's back. It really takes a lot out of a person emotionally. You have to force yourself not to get up and leap over the benches right onto his back while you strangle him to death.

I wish CTV would have covered this trial. I would like to see his face when he is given the death penalty. From what I have read he tortured Dru. It just hurts to think of what that girl went through and the last human being she saw was that ugly little fat troll. Turns my stomach.

I thought this was being tried as a federal case because he crossed state lines? If so, it doesn't matter what either state's laws are for the death penalty, only federal punishments apply, right?

Fun,
You are correct....it is a federal case because he crossed state lines and federal punishment would apply. IMO he will get the death penalty. HOPEFULLY!

fundiva said:
I thought this was being tried as a federal case because he crossed state lines? If so, it doesn't matter what either state's laws are for the death penalty, only federal punishments apply, right?

Well I never did hear back for Beth. As far as I can see CTV doesn't even have anyone there to come out and tell us what is going on in the trial. It wasn't mentioned on CTV Thursday or today. I thought maybe Catherine C. would mention it but if she did I missed it.

I hope someone from Dru's area and gets the newspapers will keep us posted on what is happening in the trial. I know that I sure would appreciate it.

I have heard that CTV will cover Couey's trial.....Jessica Lunsford. It starts on the 12th. I will be glued to the tv but not when they go into detail about what that pervert did to Jesse. I don't want to hear that. It just hurts to much to know what she suffered. I heard them say today that she tried to claw her way out of the garbage bag that the pervert made her climb in to.
I wish they would just forget a trial for him and hang him in the center of town so everyone could stand around and watch him die. That is what he deserves.

Oh Bobbiesangel, that is just too horrible to think of with poor little Jessica. Wasn't she just a little sweetheart, full of spunk and laughter. A really neat little girl, and she loved her daddy so much.

The trial taking place in Fargo brings me back to remembering one of the very best movies I ever saw - FARGO. I think that was the name of it, and everyone in it talked like they were from the old country back in Scandanavia. LOL LOL

Scandi

Bobbisangel said:
Well I never did hear back for Beth. As far as I can see CTV doesn't even have anyone there to come out and tell us what is going on in the trial. It wasn't mentioned on CTV Thursday or today. I thought maybe Catherine C. would mention it but if she did I missed it.

I hope someone from Dru's area and gets the newspapers will keep us posted on what is happening in the trial. I know that I sure would appreciate it.

I have heard that CTV will cover Couey's trial.....Jessica Lunsford. It starts on the 12th. I will be glued to the tv but not when they go into detail about what that pervert did to Jesse. I don't want to hear that. It just hurts to much to know what she suffered. I heard them say today that she tried to claw her way out of the garbage bag that the pervert made her climb in to.
I wish they would just forget a trial for him and hang him in the center of town so everyone could stand around and watch him die. That is what he deserves.
omg...
Maybe all of us should drop a line to court tv and ask for coverage....:twocents:
First dp case in ND to boot.....

It wouldn't hurt to email CTV and ask why Dru's trial isn't being covered. Most of the time they have trials on that aren't even that interesting.

Does anyone know the names of the newspapers that would be covering this trial? I really want to keep up with it even if I have to read it in a paper. CTV could have had someone there darn them. They probably won't send someone now. I never see Diane Diamond less it has something to do with Michael Jackson...puke...and who knows what the other gals are doing. Maybe if we sent emails to Catherine Crier she would cover it in her show. I think I'll try her.

scandi said:
Oh Bobbiesangel, that is just too horrible to think of with poor little Jessica. Wasn't she just a little sweetheart, full of spunk and laughter. A really neat little girl, and she loved her daddy so much.

The trial taking place in Fargo brings me back to remembering one of the very best movies I ever saw - FARGO. I think that was the name of it, and everyone in it talked like they were from the old country back in Scandanavia. LOL LOL

Scandi

I think a lot of us fell in love with little Jessica. One thing I will always be glad of is that on the night she was taken she had gone to church and I can't remember what scripture they had memorized but I know that it was one that I would bet that little girl repeated over and over to herself while she went through hell. It was something about the Lord always being with us and never leaving us. I know that she loved the Lord and I try to hang onto that. She was just such a happy sweet little girl. My heart breaks for Mark and his parents. How they must miss that shining light in their lives. I want to see that creeps face when he gets the death penalty cause that is what he is going to get no matter what his defense attorney trys.

Jury Selection in the murder trial started today. I'm going to close this thread and please continue in the trials section where I've started a thread to discuss the trial.

Justice for Dru.

Did they pick a jury for this trial and is the trial underway? I haven't heard a thing about the trial.

They are still working on picking the jury. It's turning into quite a task.

Here is an article that states the following:

Four people - all women - were added Thursday to the pool of potential jurors, bringing the total to 44 after 13 days. Once 70 are picked for the pool, the final jury of 12, plus four alternates, will be selected by the prosecution and defense using their peremptory challenges.

Seven people were questioned Thursday, three were excused and four passed on to the pool of 70. Two additional people were excused without appearing: a man for problematic answers on his questionnaire and a woman for health problems.

More at link:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/15141148.htm

Bobbisangel said:
Did they pick a jury for this trial and is the trial underway? I haven't heard a thing about the trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yoshi Baehr