ND - Several bodies found at Mandan business, 1 April 2019 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't be surprised if we never learn what his motive was.

Agree. Nobody seems to know, and County Attorney wants public to know motives are not necessary for convictions in criminal cases.

Motive eludes police as RJR homicide investigation probes Facebook accounts, bank records

[...]

Burleigh County State's Attorney Julie Lawyer, speaking on general terms with no detailed knowledge of Isaak's case, said motives are not necessary for convictions in criminal cases. She referenced a jury instruction that says "proof of a motive for commission of a crime is permissible and often valuable, but never essential."

"It's not that we are required to prove it, but it can be helpful to the jury if that's there, if they have doubt as to the person doing it," Lawyer said.

No motive was proven in the murder case against Morris Brickle-Hicks, whom a Burleigh County jury convicted in 2017 for the fatal beating of Misty Coffelt.

"We have no idea to this day why he did it," Lawyer said.

Aaron Birst, a former Cass County prosecutor and now executive director of the North Dakota State's Attorneys' Association, said juries are naturally curious about a defendant's motivation in a crime, but prosecutors foremost rely on evidence.

"Ultimately what you're proving to the jury is what they call the essential elements of the offense, and that's just 'Did this thing happen, yes or no?'" Birst said.

I'm often amazed how some of the most brutal killers seem so comfortable in jail. I believe it's in isolation that they feel no injury, and therefore stop collecting wounds. There's no fresh source, and I think someone like Isaak believes he won.

Motive eludes police as RJR homicide investigation probes Facebook accounts, bank records

Isaak is held at the Burleigh Morton Detention Center in Bismarck, pending $1 million cash bond. Burleigh County Maj. Steve Hall, assistant jail administrator, said Isaak has not been disruptive or caused issues in the jail.

I'm often amazed how some of the most brutal killers seem so comfortable in jail. I believe it's in isolation that they feel no injury, and therefore stop collecting wounds. There's no fresh source, and I think someone like Isaak believes he won.

Isaak is held at the Burleigh Morton Detention Center in Bismarck, pending $1 million cash bond. Burleigh County Maj. Steve Hall, assistant jail administrator, said Isaak has not been disruptive or caused issues in the jail.
I wonder if he was behind on rent,and they we're going to evict him. Or maybe one of them looked sideways at him once. Sounds like a Todd Kohlepp type.
MOO.

I wonder if he was behind on rent,and they we're going to evict him. Or maybe one of them looked sideways at him once. Sounds like a Todd Kohlepp type.
MOO.

I believe eviction ruled out very early. Reportedly, CI owned his mobile and only paid minimal rent for lot space. He had no history of late rent per the prior owner.

Investigators say he killed the four victims in their personal work areas-- he planned this and hunted them down. This was personal to him. MOO

I believe eviction ruled out very early. Reportedly, CI owned his mobile and only paid minimal rent for lot space. He had no history of late rent per the prior owner.

Investigators say he killed the four victims in their personal work areas-- he planned this and hunted them down. This was personal to him. MOO

Agree, but it's beyond bizarre to me. IMO, he had intent and it was personal. The WHY is the problem, he had no violent past I know of. No unstable behavior I am aware of, and had been a model prisoner by all accounts. WHYYYYY slaughter all of the people? mind blowing

Agree, but it's beyond bizarre to me. IMO, he had intent and it was personal. The WHY is the problem, he had no violent past I know of. No unstable behavior I am aware of, and had been a model prisoner by all accounts. WHYYYYY slaughter all of the people? mind blowing

Why? All parties say his reasons are unknown, and County Attorney reminds that motive not necessary to convict. They will prove he went to business and slaughtered 4 victims.

"We have no idea to this day why he did it," Lawyer said.

Aaron Birst, a former Cass County prosecutor and now executive director of the North Dakota State's Attorneys' Association, said juries are naturally curious about a defendant's motivation in a crime, but prosecutors foremost rely on evidence.

"Ultimately what you're proving to the jury is what they call the essential elements of the offense, and that's just 'Did this thing happen, yes or no?'" Birst said.

from court site - on new court hearing date - just when trial starts. I'll keep an eye out!

08/12/2019 CANCELED Preliminary Hearing and/or Arraignment (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Hagerty, Gail)
Hearing Waived
05/14/2019 Continued to 08/12/2019 - Continuance - Stipulation and Order Filed - Isaak, Chad Trolon; State of North Dakota

09/12/2019 Request Index # 52
Request for Resetting Trial
09/12/2019 Proposed Order Index # 53
Order for Resetting Trial [Gabrielle J. Goter]

09/13/2019 Order Index # 54
Denying Request to Reset

09/20/2019 Request Index # 55
Request to Extend Filing Deadline
09/20/2019 Proposed Order Index # 56
Order Extending Filing Deadline- filed by Rob Quick
09/20/2019 Service Document Index # 57
Certificate of Service on State's Attorney

09/23/2019 Order Index # 58
Extending Filing Deadline

03/02/2020 Felony Jury Trial (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Hagerty, Gail)
03/02/2020, 03/03/2020, 03/04/2020, 03/05/2020, 03/06/2020, 03/09/2020, 03/10/2020, 03/11/2020, 03/12/2020, 03/13/202

link: http://publicsearch.ndcourts.gov/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=4208012

from court site - on new court hearing date - just when trial starts. I'll keep an eye out!

08/12/2019 CANCELED Preliminary Hearing and/or Arraignment (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Hagerty, Gail)
Hearing Waived
05/14/2019 Continued to 08/12/2019 - Continuance - Stipulation and Order Filed - Isaak, Chad Trolon; State of North Dakota

09/12/2019 Request Index # 52
Request for Resetting Trial
09/12/2019 Proposed Order Index # 53
Order for Resetting Trial [Gabrielle J. Goter]

09/13/2019 Order Index # 54
Denying Request to Reset

09/20/2019 Request Index # 55
Request to Extend Filing Deadline
09/20/2019 Proposed Order Index # 56
Order Extending Filing Deadline- filed by Rob Quick
09/20/2019 Service Document Index # 57
Certificate of Service on State's Attorney

09/23/2019 Order Index # 58
Extending Filing Deadline

03/02/2020 Felony Jury Trial (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Hagerty, Gail)
03/02/2020, 03/03/2020, 03/04/2020, 03/05/2020, 03/06/2020, 03/09/2020, 03/10/2020, 03/11/2020, 03/12/2020, 03/13/202

link: http://publicsearch.ndcourts.gov/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=4208012

Thanks for updates @Niner.

How dreadful that all these families have to wait until March 2020 to receive justice for their loved ones. I suppose CI isn't motivated for a speedy trial since he's never leaving custody anyway. MOO

This case literally intrigues me....so anxious for some answers.

Me too. But I also pray that the poor families and co-workers get some answers. It must be torture to have your loved ones murdered and be in the dark about the "why". I'm hoping it comes out at the trial. Also wondering if CI told his family members why he did it.

This case literally intrigues me....so anxious for some answers.

For those of us following this thread, anxious for some answers is definitely an understatement!

If we are anxious, I believe this horrific act against the owner and three employees has got to be a living hell for their families and friends.

Worse yet, the case players and investigators have long said they still have no motive why CI entered the RJR building to deliberately shoot these individuals-- and may never have one.

The district attorney has said that a motive is not required to try CI, and they will ask the jury to answer did CI shoot them or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevTom23