ND - Several bodies found at Mandan business, 1 April 2019 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearing in North Dakota quadruple homicide trial delayed again

Jan 27, 2020

A hearing set on defense motions to suppress evidence and change the venue in the case of a man accused of quadruple murder in Mandan, North Dakota, last year has been delayed again, court documents show.

The hearing for Chad Isaak, 45, had been scheduled Tuesday but is now scheduled for May 4.

[..]

Isaak has pleaded not guilty. He has requested a change of venue for the trial because of news coverage about the case. He also has challenged the legality of police search warrants in the investigation.

It seems to me that CI needs as much time as possible before his suppression of evidence hearing because he wants to challenge the evidence against him by alleging the search warrants defective. I guess he knows he's not going anywhere so willing to motion even the absurd. MOO

One year later: A look back at the RJR quadruple homicide

April 1, 2020

MANDAN, N.D. (KFYR) One year ago, on April 1st, the lives of Robert Fakler, Adam Fuehrer and Bill and Lois Cobb were taken when they were murdered at their place of employment; RJR Maintenance and Management in Mandan, ND.

Now, the man accused of the heinous crime, 45-year-old Chad Isaak, awaits trial with a lengthy court report of requests and evidence.

An event that hit close to home, and stole the lives of four Mandan residents.
[.....]
A Judge ordered bond for Isaak at $1 million on April 5th, 2019.

Since then, his preliminary hearing has been waived and hundreds of documents have been entered as exhibits.

A new judge was assigned to the case in December, and a motion hearing that has been re-set four times has been scheduled for May [5/4/20].

"We need all the information that is possible, especially when the stakes are as high as they are in this case," said Gabrielle Goter, States Attorney.

The motion hearing will determine the suppression of evidence, and request to change the venue of the trial.
[.....]
A 10-day trial has been set for Isaak later this year, in November [11/30/20]

sorry didn't mean to imply I knew
I actually never even got around to looking for it
it would be interesting for us I'm sure
I am pretty sure, due to previous sleuthing, that this is the FB business page. Nothing of note that I ever saw, so I am thinking that maybe they were private messages or the "texts" using FB messenger on his phone. I could be wrong so JMO.
Isaak Chiropractic Of Washburn

04/15/2020 Order Index # 171
EMERGENCY ORDER

04/15/2020 Notice of Scheduling Change Index # 172
- 4th Amended Motion Hearing

07/01/2020 Motion/Hearing (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Reich, David E)
- Motion to Suppress and Change Venue
12/19/2019 Reset by Court to 12/19/2019
12/19/2019 Reset by Court to 01/06/2020
01/06/2020 Reset by Court to 01/28/2020
01/28/2020 Continued to 05/04/2020 - Continuance - Stipulation and Order Filed - Isaak, Chad Trolon; State of North Dakota
05/04/2020 Reset by Court to 07/01/2020

11/30/2020 Felony Jury Trial (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Reich, David E)
11/30/2020, 12/01/2020, 12/02/2020, 12/03/2020, 12/04/2020, 12/07/2020, 12/08/2020, 12/09/2020, 12/10/2020, 12/11/2020
03/02/2020 Reset by Court to 09/14/2020
09/14/2020 Reset by Court to 11/30/2020

link: https://publicsearch.ndcourts.gov/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=4208012

Wednesday, July 1st:
*Motions Hearing (@ 9am CT) – ND – Lois Ann Cobbs (45), employee; William Dee “Bill” Cobbs, Jr. (50), employee; Adam Fuehrer (42), employee; Robert John Fakler (52) co-owner (April 1, 2019, at RJR Maint. & Mgmt business, Mandan) - *Chad Trolon Isaak (44/now 45) arrested (4/4/19), charged (4/5/19) & arraigned (5/9/19) with 4 counts of murder (Felony AA), 1 count of burglary (Felony B), 1 count of concealment within a vehicle (Felony C) & 1 count of unauthorized use of vehicle (misdemeanor). Plead not guilty. $1M Cash only bond.
Trial set to begin on 11/30/20. (10 days for trial)
Court info from 4/5/19 thru 12/11/19 reference post #380 here:
ND - Several bodies found at Mandan business, 1 April 2019 *Arrest* #2

12/12/19 Update: Amended Motion to suppress hearing from 1/6/20 to 1/28/20. And trial has been moved from 9/14/20 to 11/30/20. Trial is to run from 11/30, 12/1-12/4, 12/7-12/11/20. 1/28/20: Defendant plead not guilty & requested a change of venue & also has challenged the legality of police search warrants in the investigation. The hearing set on defense motions to suppress evidence and change the venue was reset to 5/4/20.
4/15/20 Update: Due to the coronavirus motions hearing on 5/4 has been rescheduled to 7/1/20.

Attorneys to argue evidence gathering in quadruple homicide

July 1, 2020

FARGO, N.D. (AP) -

Attorneys in the case of a man accused in the killings of four people at a Mandan business are set to argue whether investigators followed the correct procedures in collecting evidence.

The hearing Wednesday at the Morton County Courthouse comes 15 months after the stabbing and shooting deaths of four employees at RJR Maintenance and Management.

Investigators say Chad Isaak carefully planned the gruesome killings, then tried to avoid detection by picking up shell casings, changing his clothing, and cleaning a knife and gun with bleach.

But Isaak’s attorneys say authorities didn’t get proper search warrants and made false statements in the applications.

They want much of the evidence thrown out.

KFYR-TV[URL='https://twitter.com/KFYRTV']@KFYRTV[/URL]

Wednesday morning, a man accused of murdering four RJR employees in April of 2019 was in court for a motion hearing.
2nYouap4

Isaak speaks out at motion hearing; Judge to make a decision at later date

11:52 AM · Jul 1, 2020·SocialNewsDesk

July 1, 2020

BISMARCK, N.D. (KFYR) - Wednesday morning, a man accused of murdering four RJR employees in April of 2019 was in court for a motion hearing.

The hearing was called to order by Chad Isaak’s attorney’s, who requested the suppression of specific evidence and to get the trial moved to another county.

However, the most surprising part of the two-hour long trial was Isaak unexpectedly speaking to the judge. In a turn of events, Chad Isaak pleaded with the judge to speak out. “I have tried discussing this with them, they don’t want me to say a word and that is why I’m bringing this up to you myself, sir. I’ve waited patiently for 15 months in an isolation jail cell to bring some of these issues to you sir. And with all due respect I don’t think asking for five minutes of your undivided time and attention to do that is an unreasonable request sir,” said Isaak.

Stating his attorney’s won’t let him talk. “You can’t tell him to let me talk to you?,” said Isaak.

[..]

“I can’t tell him how to represent you, no I cannot,” said Judge David Reich.

The first motion filed was a request to move the 10-day trial outside of Morton county.

“There has been extensive media coverage, and while publicity is not a reason for it, I think there has been a showing that the court has satisfied, that so great of a prejudice of the defendant exists that the defendant cannot obtain a fair and impartial trial,” said Robert Quick, Isaak’s attorney. “The state has a right to present charges in the county in which they occur and that the people of that county have a right as juror to decide that outcome,” says Gabrielle Goter, State’s Attorney.

The Judge requested both parties create a jury questionnaire. He will then make a decision based on findings. The motion to suppress evidence included video surveillance from Mandan businesses. Defense attorneys say the footage does not accurately link Isaak to the crime scene.

[..]

“Surveillance video collected from along the route from businesses, and the defenses argument seems to be that because there isn’t someone following a murder suspect and there’s not an unbroken chain of evidence that, that isn’t probable cause,” says Goter.

“The main issue is to Mr. Isaak’s vehicle at the time that was searched, and the lack of actual connection that is documented and presented to the judge at the time that connected the individual seen coming out of RJR and the individual seen getting into the white pick-up truck,” said Quick. Judge Reich says he will review the argument and issue a filing soon. His attorneys also requested a Franks hearing, which examines the validity of police statements.

Isaak’s defense lawyers claim search warrants of Isaak’s home, car, and electronics were illegally obtained.

July 1, 2020

BISMARCK, N.D. (KFYR) - Wednesday morning, a man accused of murdering four RJR employees in April of 2019 was in court for a motion hearing.

The hearing was called to order by Chad Isaak’s attorney’s, who requested the suppression of specific evidence and to get the trial moved to another county.

However, the most surprising part of the two-hour long trial was Isaak unexpectedly speaking to the judge. In a turn of events, Chad Isaak pleaded with the judge to speak out. “I have tried discussing this with them, they don’t want me to say a word and that is why I’m bringing this up to you myself, sir. I’ve waited patiently for 15 months in an isolation jail cell to bring some of these issues to you sir. And with all due respect I don’t think asking for five minutes of your undivided time and attention to do that is an unreasonable request sir,” said Isaak.

Stating his attorney’s won’t let him talk. “You can’t tell him to let me talk to you?,” said Isaak.

[..]

“I can’t tell him how to represent you, no I cannot,” said Judge David Reich.

The first motion filed was a request to move the 10-day trial outside of Morton county.

“There has been extensive media coverage, and while publicity is not a reason for it, I think there has been a showing that the court has satisfied, that so great of a prejudice of the defendant exists that the defendant cannot obtain a fair and impartial trial,” said Robert Quick, Isaak’s attorney. “The state has a right to present charges in the county in which they occur and that the people of that county have a right as juror to decide that outcome,” says Gabrielle Goter, State’s Attorney.

The Judge requested both parties create a jury questionnaire. He will then make a decision based on findings. The motion to suppress evidence included video surveillance from Mandan businesses. Defense attorneys say the footage does not accurately link Isaak to the crime scene.

[..]

“Surveillance video collected from along the route from businesses, and the defenses argument seems to be that because there isn’t someone following a murder suspect and there’s not an unbroken chain of evidence that, that isn’t probable cause,” says Goter.

“The main issue is to Mr. Isaak’s vehicle at the time that was searched, and the lack of actual connection that is documented and presented to the judge at the time that connected the individual seen coming out of RJR and the individual seen getting into the white pick-up truck,” said Quick. Judge Reich says he will review the argument and issue a filing soon. His attorneys also requested a Franks hearing, which examines the validity of police statements.

Isaak’s defense lawyers claim search warrants of Isaak’s home, car, and electronics were illegally obtained.

he sounds like a fun client to work for
they can quit right? if he's too annoying or does he have to do something like assault them?

The court site doesn't yet have the next court date - I'll keep an eye out.

07/01/2020 Motion/Hearing (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Reich, David E)
- Motion to Suppress and Change Venue - Public access www.zoom.com or 1 669 900 9128 or 1 646 558 8656 Meeting ID: 863 2624 4076
12/19/2019 Reset by Court to 12/19/2019
12/19/2019 Reset by Court to 01/06/2020
01/06/2020 Reset by Court to 01/28/2020
01/28/2020 Continued to 05/04/2020 - Continuance - Stipulation and Order Filed - Isaak, Chad Trolon; State of North Dakota
05/04/2020 Reset by Court to 07/01/2020
Result: Hearing Ended

07/01/2020 Under Advisement (Judicial Officer: Reich, David E )
Hearing Held Motion to Suppress

07/01/2020 Order Index # 240
Regarding Defendant's Motion to Compel

07/01/2020 Order Index # 241
Denying Motion to Change Venue Without Prejudice

11/30/2020 Felony Jury Trial (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Reich, David E)
11/30/2020, 12/01/2020, 12/02/2020, 12/03/2020, 12/04/2020, 12/07/2020, 12/08/2020, 12/09/2020, 12/10/2020, 12/11/2020
03/02/2020 Reset by Court to 09/14/2020
09/14/2020 Reset by Court to 11/30/2020

link: https://publicsearch.ndcourts.gov/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=4208012

he sounds like a fun client to work for
they can quit right? if he's too annoying or does he have to do something like assault them?

I don't think they can quit unless something egregious occurs. Remember during the Jodi Arias case, Kirk Nurmi wanted to quit as her attorney and the judge wouldn't allow it. Even when he left the public defender's office the judge made him keep her.

Anyway, Issak CAN fire them and hire someone else. It would delay things, probably, so I don't see that happening. He sounds like a petulant child, doesn't he. Complaining he's been locked up for 15 months in isolation. Well, if he didn't murder 4 people in cold blood, he'd be out and about.

Complaining he's been locked up for 15 months in isolation. Well, if he didn't murder 4 people in cold blood, he'd be out and about.
^^sbm
I thought the same thing --the nerve!! But certainly not surprised - I've got CI figured for an insult collector and being locked up is just one more reason for him to justify his actions.

This article is wrong!!

Man accused of killing 4 presses to address judge directly

The judge did not immediately rule on the change of venue motion as well as the arguments about warrants used in the search of Isaak’s vehicle, residence, business, person, and electronic devices.

BUT!! He did rule - he denied it - per the court site (my post #399):

another article - about the suppression of evidence:

Still no next hearing date on the court site.... just the trial on 11/30. And of course none of the articles I saw had one. :rolleyes:

This article is wrong!!

The judge did not immediately rule on the change of venue motion as well as the arguments about warrants used in the search of Isaak’s vehicle, residence, business, person, and electronic devices.

Still no next hearing date on the court site.... just the trial on 11/30. And of course none of the articles I saw had one. :rolleyes:

You are right! The order is denying a change of venue without prejudice. I'll be waiting on pins and needles regarding the suppression of evidence order. I feel so invested in this case, I really want to see the victims receive justice.

This article is wrong!!

The article is correct @Niner. Denying the motion WITHOUT prejudice is NOT permanent.

The Judge requested a jury questionnaire drafted by both defense and prosecutor. The judge will make a permanent decision after he reviews the questionnaire.

The Judge requested both parties create a jury questionnaire. He will then make a decision based on findings.
^^sbbm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member