ND - Several bodies found at Mandan business, 1 April 2019 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The article is correct @Niner. Denying the motion WITHOUT prejudice is NOT permanent.

The Judge requested a jury questionnaire drafted by both defense and prosecutor. The judge will make a permanent decision after he reviews the questionnaire.

^^sbbm

Oh - okay! I know WITHOUT prejudice - means they can change their minds. Thanks! :)

Oh - okay! I know WITHOUT prejudice - means they can change their minds. Thanks! :)

IMO, the ROA entered the change of venue motion as dismissed w/o prejudice instead of motion continued because this motion had been open for more than 30 days. Judges do not like that on their record and I think there will be many motions noted dismissed w/o/p during the pandemic.

Yes, I have these dates, but I believe there will be a hearing before the Nov. trial starts. I mean - it's only July, surely he'll have a hearing.... :)
Since I can access the court site - I'll keep an eye out! ;)
Thank you Niner. What a horrific case. People simply going into work in the morning only to be killed by this monster!

Yes, I have these dates, but I believe there will be a hearing before the Nov. trial starts. I mean - it's only July, surely he'll have a hearing.... :)
Since I can access the court site - I'll keep an eye out! ;)

November could be correct depending on how backed up the court is after the COVID19 mandate. Probably a pretrial readiness hearing will be scheduled.

At this time, the Judge actually has many things to review before he can respond to the motions before him.

For example, regarding the change of venue, each side has to draft a questionnaire for the judge to review and respond to. I don't believe this will require an oral argument in open court as it's not a matter of law to change the venue but for one side to present the best argument that it violates the defendant's right to a fair trial if the trial stays in Morton County.

Second, ruling on the suppression of evidence will also take some time for the judge to review. If I recall correctly, CI parked his truck at McDonald's and was seen in surveillance driving one of RJR's vehicles just before abandoning the vehicle and jogging a block to his parked vehicle.

The defense is arguing that because CI was not being followed (or in pursuit) of the defendant in his truck that there was no probable cause to search his truck. I think the defense will lose that argument as an employee saw CI get in his truck (describing the same individual/clothing seen jogging in surveillance video).

Again, the defense can appeal the judge's ruling to each of these motions but I don't know if a hearing necessary. I think there will probably be a status or pretrial readiness hearing in November scheduled after the two motions are ruled on.

MOO

Last edited:
update on court site but no hearing date yet...

07/09/2020 Order Index # 242
Denying Defendant's Amended Motion to Suppress and Request for Franks Hearing

11/30/2020 Felony Jury Trial (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Reich, David E)
11/30/2020, 12/01/2020, 12/02/2020, 12/03/2020, 12/04/2020, 12/07/2020, 12/08/2020, 12/09/2020, 12/10/2020, 12/11/2020
03/02/2020 Reset by Court to 09/14/2020
09/14/2020 Reset by Court to 11/30/2020

link: https://publicsearch.ndcourts.gov/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=4208012

Second, ruling on the suppression of evidence will also take some time for the judge to review. If I recall correctly, CI parked his truck at McDonald's and was seen in surveillance driving one of RJR's vehicles just before abandoning the vehicle and jogging a block to his parked vehicle.

The defense is arguing that because CI was not being followed (or in pursuit) of the defendant in his truck that there was no probable cause to search his truck. I think the defense will lose that argument as an employee saw CI get in his truck (describing the same individual/clothing seen jogging in surveillance video).
^^sbm

Moving right along -- Judge David Reich denied Isaak’s motion on Friday, to suppress video surveillance evidence so this will be used at his trial.

I believe we're only waiting on the questionnaires to decide on the change of venue motion by the defense.

I'd say the court dates looking pretty good.

Judge denies suppression of evidence and Franks hearing in quadruple homicide case

update on court site but no hearing date yet...

07/09/2020 Order Index # 242
Denying Defendant's Amended Motion to Suppress and Request for Franks Hearing

11/30/2020 Felony Jury Trial (9:00 AM) (Judicial Officer Reich, David E)
11/30/2020, 12/01/2020, 12/02/2020, 12/03/2020, 12/04/2020, 12/07/2020, 12/08/2020, 12/09/2020, 12/10/2020, 12/11/2020
03/02/2020 Reset by Court to 09/14/2020
09/14/2020 Reset by Court to 11/30/2020

link: https://publicsearch.ndcourts.gov/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=4208012

@Niner -- Judge denied the request for a Franks Hearing so there won't be one scheduled.

Judge denies suppression of evidence and Franks hearing in quadruple homicide case

howwwwww do we not have a motive yet??? You don’t kill this many people with such savageness and not have a motive

I remember when last year, the District Attorney's office was getting hammered with inquires about "the motive" thinking that info was being withheld from media and I'll never forget his response that their job is to prove that Chad murdered the owner and his employees, and not why he murdered them. He also said they may never know why he got up that day and executed his murder plan.

It seems Chad's only connection was his trailer was parked in a mobile lot managed by the fallen property manager. Reportedly, he paid his rent timely.

I think this guy is a classic insult collector. He's been accumulating every perceived wrong he's ever had in his life and showed the world (so he thought) what he's made of.

Well, an evil sort at that.

MOO

One year later: A look back at the RJR quadruple homicide

April 20, 2020

"All of these individuals were the same way, every single one of them. They would give and wouldn't expect anything back," said Jackie Fakler, the wife of Robert, and owner of RJR Maintenance and Management during a 2019 interview.

Forty-five-year old Chad Isaak was arrested four days later and charged with four counts of Murder.

What developed a year ago on April 4th is still the big question today.

"At the present time, the motive for the crime in unknown…Just because we got him doesn't mean this case is closed. This is far from over. Now comes the long process of prosecution." says Jason Ziegler, Mandan Police Chief, during a press conference on April 4, 2019.

A Judge ordered bond for Isaak at $1 million on April 5th, 2019.

Since then, his preliminary hearing has been waived and hundreds of documents have been entered as exhibits.

Motion hearing takes twist as RJR homicide suspect asks to address judge

June 1, 2020

A Washburn man accused of killing four people last spring interrupted a court hearing Wednesday, asking to talk directly to the judge even though his attorneys advised him not to speak.

[..]

Isaak was arrested April 4, 2019, three days after the four were found shot and stabbed at the RJR office in Mandan. A motive has not been established by police. Isaak lived in a Washburn mobile home park managed by RJR but it’s unclear if that is tied to the killings.

[..]

Isaak wanted to bring up issues that he and his legal team plan to address at a future hearing, Quick said after the hearing.

Quadruple homicide trial pushed back to June due to COVID

Nov. 12, 2020

MANDAN, N.D. (AP) — The surging coronavirus pandemic has forced court officials in Mandan to postpone a quadruple homicide trial until June.

The Bismarck Tribune reported Friday that Chad Isaak was set to go on trial Nov. 30. But court documents related to the trial's delay list concerns about the health of court staff, jurors and their families.

and unfortunately no date given.... and the court site just gives the court date as 6/7/21 as trial, no court hearings yet. I'll keep an eye out on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mykand