ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hence the need for daily updating, and Hannah has not been found.

Tom is found. LE will do their job without the pestering, for Petes sake.

This is an intelligent post and makes me realize that all the updating in the world won't find someone. Thank you AR!

This is an intelligent post and makes me realize that all the updating in the world won't find someone. Thank you AR!

Not so sure about that. They continue to get information.

The public seems to be very favorable towards LE even though there are scores of women missing in that area.

Communication is working for them.

I brought over an article from the Sadek case a few miles away from May 2014. Mainly to demonstrate that the same LE language is being used in this current case as well. That case is still an "open investigation" all this time later with no updates as well. Another ND college student as well. Basically saying that there is no reason to believe there is any danger to the communities. How can LE agencies make those blanket statements when both death investigations have not been solved and killers not arrested?

Andrew's Autopsy Results
NCSCS Campus Police Department released the autopsy results Saturday afternoon after receiving the final autopsy report. Through a press release, campus police said because Sadek’s death as been ruled as undetermined, his case will be handled as an open investigation and an ongoing search for the weapon continues. “Based upon the facts of this case, campus police believe there is no threat to the campus community or the public,” officials said through a press release.
JMO's

http://www.wahpetondailynews.com/news/article_6fcc6bbe-2b10-11e4-9a01-0019bb2963f4.html

I brought over an article from the Sadek case a few miles away from May 2014. Mainly to demonstrate that the same LE language is being used in this current case as well. That case is still an "open investigation" all this time later with no updates as well. Another ND college student as well. Basically saying that there is no reason to believe there is any danger to the communities. How can LE agencies make those blanket statements when both death investigations have not been solved and killers not arrested?

Andrew's Autopsy Results
NCSCS Campus Police Department released the autopsy results Saturday afternoon after receiving the final autopsy report. Through a press release, campus police said because Sadek’s death as been ruled as undetermined, his case will be handled as an open investigation and an ongoing search for the weapon continues. “Based upon the facts of this case, campus police believe there is no threat to the campus community or the public,” officials said through a press release.
JMO's

http://www.wahpetondailynews.com/news/article_6fcc6bbe-2b10-11e4-9a01-0019bb2963f4.html

<modsnip>

It seems to me there are two different groups of people here...

One that is content to trust LE to do a competent job on this case without any public pressure and/or communication. And one that does not believe in blindly trusting LE...

It's okay. Life is made up of people with opposing viewpoints. It doesn't mean we have to take sides & not work together. I can understand & respect the fact that some believe I crossed a line by contacting police... Maybe I did. I assure you I meant no harm. As I have said, it comes from a place of mistrust due to Sadek case & perhaps I am overly invested in finding justice due to that case. In addition, I am worried for my own son and for the kids that I know that attend college in the ND & MN area.

{FYI - I also found out that it is against TOS here to state that you've contacted LE. So I would not advise it. &#65533;&#65533;. If you do, do not talk about it on the Forum...}

Oh... Btw.. Probably not related but ANOTHER two girls are missing from the area... One is from Brainerd, MN and the other is from Detroit Lakes, MN. Also... They've identified the body they found in the Red River the day before the Bearson funeral but have not released any new information.

Sorry... But I am on a different type of tablet & cannot figure out how to post links on it or I would with regard to the other two missing people... I'm sure a quick Internet search will yield those results. I just learned of them so I don't know many details.

Happy Tuesday.

<modsnip>

It seems to me there are two different groups of people here...

One that is content to trust LE to do a competent job on this case without any public pressure and/or communication. And one that does not believe in blindly trusting LE...

It's okay. Life is made up of people with opposing viewpoints. It doesn't mean we have to take sides & not work together. I can understand & respect the fact that some believe I crossed a line by contacting police... Maybe I did. I assure you I meant no harm. As I have said, it comes from a place of mistrust due to Sadek case & perhaps I am overly invested in finding justice due to that case. In addition, I am worried for my own son and for the kids that I know that attend college in the ND & MN area.

{FYI - I also found out that it is against TOS here to state that you've contacted LE. So I would not advise it. &#65533;&#65533;. If you do, do not talk about it on the Forum...}

Oh... Btw.. Probably not related but ANOTHER two girls are missing from the area... One is from Brainerd, MN and the other is from Detroit Lakes, MN. Also... They've identified the body they found in the Red River the day before the Bearson funeral but have not released any new information.

Sorry... But I am on a different type of tablet & cannot figure out how to post links on it or I would with regard to the other two missing people... I'm sure a quick Internet search will yield those results. I just learned of them so I don't know many details.

Happy Tuesday.

BBM - I think I have to agree with this statement. Fighting with each other doesn't get us very far. I feel both sides had decent points in their arguments. (I have no idea what bbm means but I think I know what it represents)

I have a feeling this thread is going to quiet down quite a bit until we get some more information. We were treading water for a while with great discussion until some opposing viewpoints popped up.

BBM= Bolded by me. It is used to address a certain point in a longer post (usually).

Opposing viewpoints are what makes the convo worthwhile. That is also communication.

If you mean my posts as "fighting" that was not the intention. I do NOT blindly follow LE at all (MN-Mom reference) but I feel that in a case where you are not a family member or media, you have no reason to contact police about a case reported here on WS. UNLESS YOU HAVE A TIP TO CALL IN.

I know that LE in this case wants justice for Tom, and they are keeping information out of the public eye for several reasons. Think it through and you (a general you, not directed at you MM08) will come up with why we are not privy to details.

Details come out at hearings/trial.

Adding: Don't let my post(s) stop any convo here on this thread. Everyone has an opinion and everyone's is valuable. I'm an old-timer and I mean no offense to newcomers to WS or any case. Continue convo, and say what you want to. Don't take this personally, peace :).

I have a friend who lives in the state of VA close to all of the missing women. I never knew there were so many. We walked around some secluded areas as it is beautiful there. This is when I went to visit.

Now I am thinking when I go somewhere I may even call the non emergency LE number to see what kinds of crimes they are experiencing in their area.

Who knew small town MN and NoDak had so much weird crime.

Sure, in a big city you figure there are issues. But Moorehead, home of an expensive college? Never imagined it.

Parts of the timeline can be found from tweets posted by various individual @usernames, this would include deleted tweets as well as a deactivated Twitter account. Unfortunately those tweets can't be discussed on this thread. I think TOS would prohibit a Parking Lot thread as well? As far as the "Who killed Tom?" question, I hope his family and friends find out soon. The singular noun "Perpetrator" has been used several times on twitter and once I believe in a MSM article. Jmho.

ETA: http://www.sctimes.com/story/news/local/2014/09/29/bearson-funeral-monday-morning/16417741/

I wonder if we can put together a timeline, of the tweet text, but not the user name... Instead of user name (twitter handle) we could put something identity assumed as: male/19/went to high-school with Tom/lives in Fargo...

MOD - can we do that????
It will give us a good overview of what transpired in that night, the next day, and so on...

Please no personal insults directed at each other.

Thank you,
Tricia

First timer here. Have read through everything in this thread (and believe me...46 pages takes some time!) As sad as it is, I think this case probably boils down to drugs in some way. It's also possible that the DUI a couple weeks before played a role in that he may given LE information about drug dealers in the area in order to get a lighter sentence. Just seems to make the most sense with everything I have seen. It will take LE a long time to sort through it all since there are so many people to interview to confirm this, and many will be afraid to talk after seeing what happened to TB. I don't blindly follow whatever LE says, but I do believe that LE should be given time, space, and cooperation to do their jobs. At some point they will come out with a statement regarding the status of the investigation, but I don't think they will do so until they either need help from the public or have answers to questions that were previously unanswered. One point I would like to make is that others have stated that LE is paid by tax dollars they have a responsibility to inform us all of what is going on...I agree with this, but only to an extent. As the ones paying their salaries it is not fair for us to tell them how to do their jobs...we should only care that they do their jobs correctly. If you hire a kid to mow your lawn, and then you go out there to ask him for an update every five minutes it is probably going to take a heckuva a lot more time for him to finish cutting the grass right? I'm sure there is a reason they are not releasing further info. Sometimes these things take time and require patience from those wanting answers. In my line of work (and I would assume most others) it is more important to do something CORRECTLY than it is do it is as QUICKLY as possible. I'll deal with a long wait as long as they get it right, which I truly believe they will.

I wonder if we can put together a timeline, of the tweet text, but not the user name... Instead of user name (twitter handle) we could put something identity assumed as: male/19/went to high-school with Tom/lives in Fargo...

MOD - can we do that????
It will give us a good overview of what transpired in that night, the next day, and so on...
The social media profiles of friends and family are off limits, and if you can't link it, you can't post it, or post about it.

Further, tweets from individuals (non-LE, non-MSM) are considered rumor. A timeline should not be built on rumor, but on known "facts", with MSM and LE links included as reference.

First of all, sorry to be MIA for a few days there, I have caught up now on all the last posts from the last thread and this thread.

IMHO we are all upset and frustrated at the current state of affairs in this case. When there is no interest in the media or updates from LE, it doesn't leave us anywhere but a state of frustration. Frustration is going to magnify our differences and make it difficult to keep going. This case is important, and it deserves attention. There are good reasons to continue to take an interest. If the public thinks the case deserves attention, LE is going to keep on it even if they don't know what happened. If someone who knows something keeps seeing information about the case, that's going to increase the likelihood someone is going to come forward. When the case is in the back of the mind of people, they might hear something they wouldn't have otherwise heard.

The lack of interest in the media has taken has been most frustrating to me, and it's hard not to take that personally. If they need ideas to write a story about, I'm sure we could all give them some ideas, even if they don't want to get into the investigation.

MM I do not think there is anything wrong with calling the police. We pay them, they work for us. That's why they have to at the very least answer the phone in the first place, they ultimately have to answer to us. I think it's fair to say that attention from concerned citizens or family members has prompted police to invest extra resources in cases that otherwise would have remained unsolved. If we want the police putting that extra person on this case they can train along the way, and give out a few less tickets for a few weeks, then I think the police should know that.

The Moorhead police did a good job of beating back gangs that were infiltrating in the 90s, and I have a lot of faith in them. Being a small dept., they probably don't have a PR agenda, and that might hurt them later if they don't change course now on how they handle that aspect that is still my opinion.

(EDIT: then again, not that I WANT them to have a PR agenda! Less spin is all the better to me unless we are talking just wanting an "we're here for you" update!)

On a different note...the Fargo newspaper has sure been reporting a lot of drug related charges the past week. It could be just a warped perception, but was wondering if anyone else thought that too. I was wondering if maybe the police weren't trying to shake down some people in the drug world to see what they know? Then again if that's the case, why aren't they offering a reward for information?

First timer here. Have read through everything in this thread (and believe me...46 pages takes some time!) As sad as it is, I think this case probably boils down to drugs in some way. It's also possible that the DUI a couple weeks before played a role in that he may given LE information about drug dealers in the area in order to get a lighter sentence. Just seems to make the most sense with everything I have seen. It will take LE a long time to sort through it all since there are so many people to interview to confirm this, and many will be afraid to talk after seeing what happened to TB. I don't blindly follow whatever LE says, but I do believe that LE should be given time, space, and cooperation to do their jobs. At some point they will come out with a statement regarding the status of the investigation, but I don't think they will do so until they either need help from the public or have answers to questions that were previously unanswered. One point I would like to make is that others have stated that LE is paid by tax dollars they have a responsibility to inform us all of what is going on...I agree with this, but only to an extent. As the ones paying their salaries it is not fair for us to tell them how to do their jobs...we should only care that they do their jobs correctly. If you hire a kid to mow your lawn, and then you go out there to ask him for an update every five minutes it is probably going to take a heckuva a lot more time for him to finish cutting the grass right? I'm sure there is a reason they are not releasing further info. Sometimes these things take time and require patience from those wanting answers. In my line of work (and I would assume most others) it is more important to do something CORRECTLY than it is do it is as QUICKLY as possible. I'll deal with a long wait as long as they get it right, which I truly believe they will.

We were posting at the same time I think otherwise I would have said this before. You have a good point about giving them time. There is the risk of pressuring them to the point where they feel like they need to solve it whether they get it wrong or not, but I also feel like as professionals they should be above that. Even an update saying "we appreciate your concern, we hear you and believe us we feel the same way" I think do a lot for people at this point, at least it would for me.

I can understand the police not giving updates a LOT more than I can understand how the media is behaving. The media should be telling us they are trying to get updates, etc. at the very least IMHO.

Agree with the media angle. They have no reason to withhold anything so I don't see why there wouldn't be more from them. I realize Fargo media don't have the same resources as those in New York or even those in the Twin Cities, but this has to be one of the major stories in the Fargo-Moorhead area so I am a little surprised to see that the coverage has died down so quickly. To Minnesota Mom -- If you are going to make any phone calls I would say to call the media outlets in Fargo-Moorhead. I think that is a more effective way to keep the story alive. If it is still in the news then it will still be on people's minds.

I would add that since the FBI is involved they are probably the ones controlling the investigation/release of information so asking for anything from local police probably isn't going to do much. Without knowing what happened no one can prove that TB was transported across state lines, but since it appears that way this is probably a federal case. Not that I think the perpetrator/s in this case is/are very smart to begin with, but it was a really dumb move to bring him across state lines which means the case will get FBI attention. (That doesn't count as an insult does it? Don't want to get in trouble with the moderator on my first day in school.)

Agree with the media angle. They have no reason to withhold anything so I don't see why there wouldn't be more from them. I realize Fargo media don't have the same resources as those in New York or even those in the Twin Cities, but this has to be one of the major stories in the Fargo-Moorhead area so I am a little surprised to see that the coverage has died down so quickly. To Minnesota Mom -- If you are going to make any phone calls I would say to call the media outlets in Fargo-Moorhead. I think that is a more effective way to keep the story alive. If it is still in the news then it will still be on people's minds.

I would add that since the FBI is involved they are probably the ones controlling the investigation/release of information so asking for anything from local police probably isn't going to do much. Without knowing what happened no one can prove that TB was transported across state lines, but since it appears that way this is probably a federal case. Not that I think the perpetrator/s in this case is/are very smart to begin with, but it was a really dumb move to bring him across state lines which means the case will get FBI attention. (That doesn't count as an insult does it? Don't want to get in trouble with the moderator on my first day in school.)

Yeah good point about crossing state lines, certainly doesn't strike one as a crime committed by a mastermind. I really doubt he made it to the RV place on his own free will that far away that late at night. If he did, then I actually wonder whether the FBI would still keep the case or not, suppose they would but I wonder? But I'm sure that's a moot point because I can't imagine how he got there on his own free will, must have been a cross state lines thing.

I have to quote SummitSlam91 on the Forum #1.

SummitSlam91 said:
Maybe the investigators on this case took a page out of Sun Tzu's Art of War.

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make
the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.
Its that or they probably botched the project.

Loved that insight. Seeing that made me think too that one reason they may not want to say someone has been cleared is that it might have the unintentional effect of actually causing that person to be suspicious. I have no idea how LE works or if they actually are thinking that way, if someone knows please let me know. I was just thinking that because someone told me that in law school they teach you not to acknowledge something that isn't true because it puts you on the defense, and makes it seem credible, and that it's better to ignore than make a defense. Makes sense.

But that MEDIA!!!!

First I would like to welcome all new members that have joined here on this thread. It seems we have quite a few. All posters were new at one time, and we are all here for the same purpose, collectively. Secondly to point out that MODS are here to help and add to the content with experience. Being called out is not as bad as it might seem. We all overstep sometimes. TOS rules are very common sense rules to protect families, innocent of guilt by association and to protect a victim who can no longer speak for themselves. That said:

There is another case right here on WS of a triple murder in San Diego last Christmas Eve. A gun was used in that case, and the case went for 6 months with nothing, much like this one. Four months after the killings a kid got caught with a gun at a checkpoint (and silencer). Long story short he was arrested and booked. Because it was a felony his DNA was taken. The DNA and ballistics both matched and an arrest was made.

I have to believe the family and others getting involved with the media and maintaining a social awareness in the case kept it in the front burner that caused LE to order those tests to get that match. I don't believe those are ordered as SOP in all cases. They are expensive and someone has to sign off on them...and know what to do with the results. It takes diligence. That case still has a lot of unanswered questions.

The main points I am trying to make is that cases take patience and diligence that sometimes takes years. But it will be done if we all stay involved and follow it all the way to Justice Done.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...dere-Ilona-Flint-(22)-San-Diego-23-Dec-2013-3

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...n-Diego-23-Dec-2013-3&p=11066100#post11066100

Speaking of keeping interest going until justice is done, that is kinda what I do with Case Archives.
If there is any interest, I can make one for this case. I do requests.

(if you don't know what I'm talking about, look at my signature line. I have archived many cases, some old, some ongoing)

Hi!

Quickly, I got a very long email response forwarded to me by a Moorhead city official (whom I happen to know) which was written from the Chief of Police in Moorhead...

In summary... The media has been contacting the MPD daily & has been given updates on the case daily. However, he believes the media silence is in relation to the Bearson request for "time to grieve" & to "respect their privacy."

Well here is it in its entirety:

The Moorhead Police Department has provided numerous media outlets with updates and news information on this homicide on a daily basis. The choice of what to air or what goes to press is not one that the Police Department makes but is the decision of the respective media outlets. We are grateful to the media for the coverage they have provided which has led to a heightened public awareness of this case and has provided leads in this investigation. The Bearson Family has asked that their privacy be respected by the media and thus far this wish has generally been respected.

We have been clear on a number of occasions that, although we do not know the identity of this perpetrator, nor the potential for another incident, we encourage the public to take personal responsibility for their safety. Lieutenant Jacobson, our Public Information Officer, has spoken at length regarding advice in this area on a number of media outlets since this investigation was initiate. Having said that we are also in possession of no information that indicates a specific threat to the public, our cautions to the public about safety measures a simply precautionary. Any information that we develop that indicates a specific threat to the public will be immediately presented to the media with a request for their assistance in getting the word out.

Lastly this is an active investigation and information from this case will not be released without a reason, some of which include public awareness and solicitation of public assistance. The laws of Minnesota and every other state recognize that investigative data is not subject to release. The purpose for these laws is to facilitate effective criminal investigations and is the State&#8217;s recognition that the public&#8217;s safety interests are best served through the apprehension and successful prosecution of criminals.

In summary we have released information to media inquiries on a daily basis. The information released has been to facilitate public awareness and to solicit information from the public. At the same time we have had to be aware of the needs of a family which has suffered an incredible loss and wishes to mourn their loss in peace. Ultimately the safety of our public is best served by apprehending the person who committed this crime, be assured the Moorhead Police Department, the Fargo Police Department, and the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension are investing many hours to that end.

I hope this addresses your concerns.

David Ebinger, Chief of Police
Moorhead Police Department
915 9th Avenue North
Moorhead, Minnesota 56561

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors