ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a lot to add in reference to the investigation but in my opinion, the media could continue to mention the items LE has asked us for help finding without hindering the investigation. I know that you can search online for the descriptions but some people may have missed those couple of articles. I don't recall it being covered on the local news or in the paper for more than a day or two. The chances of finding them can only increase if more people are on the lookout for them.

Wow. What an excellent letter.

That dang media.

No reason they can't print that LE is working hard and print a couple of sentences from a letter like that.

It shows their concern.

Excellent.

Of note on the above: "perpetrator." Single.

Thanks for the update. Like I have said, I believe that law enforcement is doing their job and if the family is satisfied with LE's investigation then it is all ok with me. Let's hope they catch this jerk. (Whoops, another insult, but c'mon...we all know whoever did this is much worse than a jerk.)

MM: Thanks for posting that info. That shows LE is paying attention and cares. To me it is more about what they are not saying as well as what they are. It seems they must be aware that there is only one involved and they have them in the scope. Knowing they are not going to commit another crime without them knowing it.

JMO

Amanda thank you for joining. To many who are not aware Amanda has been instrumental in documenting many cases with pictures and media plus documents. The one that comes to mind the most to me is the Holly Bobo case that has been going on for over three years. All the way from scanner coverage here on WS to current trial. Countless hours of work and walks down memory lanes of Justice.

JMO

Wow. What an excellent letter.

That dang media.

No reason they can't print that LE is working hard and print a couple of sentences from a letter like that.

It shows their concern.

Excellent.

You said it! MM thanks so much for posting that letter, and yep I agree human no reason why the paper can't print a couple sentences from the paper like that. Also, like Bonanzaville said, if they are looking for items like the shoe why not do an article posting those items again?

It is great that the police chief took the time to write this letter, it makes me feel a lot better about the situation, and like they really care. So major kudos to the Moorhead police. I guess my next question to the police chief would be: Is there a public forum, like for ex. a city council meeting or something like that, where you can bring the public up to speed on updates that we have missed? It doesn't seem to me like the paper should have a unique access to information, but I can understand too that the police are probably used to working with the media for updates, and don't want to sit and respond to a whole bunch of people or do special things to create updates. I don't know how city council meetings work, just an idea. Some way to have a public forum for concerned citizens, that simply brings people up to speed on the same updates that were given to the media that the papers' editor decided not to print.

If it is drug related especially, maybe the family doesn't want that information over the paper a lot because they don't want him remembered by the public in a way that wasn't him at all, or there may be other reasons, I don't know. I do think though that the media shouldn't have special privileges with the information, so I think it would be great to see a periodic update in a public forum or at a city council meeting or something like that so everyone outside of the investigation who wants access to information has access to the same information.

Thank you for sharing mamasleuth!

I will be first to admit that I was overreacting. The letter from chief of PD as well as audio recordings make me feel like they are working diligently to answer & solve TB's murder.

I also feel the need to respect the wishes of the Bearson family for privacy & time to grieve. (I'm surprised that the media has been so respectful thus far. In most jurisdictions, that isn't the case. But I think The Forum in particular has received public backlash in the recent past for printing insensitive items.. I.e. Police chief Skuza(sp?) suicide & focusing on Sadek's warrants during the time that he was missing.)

At this point, any speculation I do could/would just be potentially incriminating innocent people & that's not something I want to do or participate more in than I already have. The truth is the information (clues) we have could all be unrelated to the murder & we could be barking up the wrong tree entirely.

I will reiterate that short public statements from the police in affirmation that they are still working diligently on the case & if the phone & shoe have been found really couldn't hurt anything. (That really was all I was looking for to make me feel more at ease.)

Happy Wednesday night. Here's hoping this is solved soon.

:gaah:Seriously I'm all alone on this thread?? :scared:

I suppose I could start answering my own questions.

OR I could type out a lengthy explanation of Geographic Profiling.

I did read an excellent article today on the disappearance and murder of a young girl in Hallock, MN. I had thought they confronted the wrong guy, but lo and behold after what I read today, I would have come to the same conclusion the police did.

I suppose that is what keeps us coming back to discuss these cases.

Thank you for sharing mamasleuth!

I will be first to admit that I was overreacting. The letter from chief of PD as well as audio recordings make me feel like they are working diligently to answer & solve TB's murder.

I also feel the need to respect the wishes of the Bearson family for privacy & time to grieve. (I'm surprised that the media has been so respectful thus far. In most jurisdictions, that isn't the case. But I think The Forum in particular has received public backlash in the recent past for printing insensitive items.. I.e. Police chief Skuza(sp?) suicide & focusing on Sadek's warrants during the time that he was missing.)

At this point, any speculation I do could/would just be potentially incriminating innocent people & that's not something I want to do or participate more in than I already have. The truth is the information (clues) we have could all be unrelated to the murder & we could be barking up the wrong tree entirely.

I will reiterate that short public statements from the police in affirmation that they are still working diligently on the case & if the phone & shoe have been found really couldn't hurt anything. (That really was all I was looking for to make me feel more at ease.)

Happy Wednesday night. Here's hoping this is solved soon.

:grouphug: It's ok. Stop beating yourself up over this. I have a hunch we will be hearing more soon. The change of weather always seems to shake things loose.

Its kinda like salt lake city they are not prepared for wat fargo is turning into

Its kinda like salt lake city they are not prepared for wat fargo is turning into

I wonder though. I went there on my honeymoon in 1996. OK, actually we were just passing through Salt Lake City on our honeymoon. Too bad someone didn't pull me aside and say, "Don't do it!". But, that's another story for a different thread.

At that time SLC was just starting to experience some real difficulties with gangs. Very, VERY violent gangs were coming in because the gangs had learned that there wasn't anyone running the city.

IIRC, the reason they were so violent is they wanted to establish through any means possible who was the biggest and baddest in the land. Very bad.

On a side note we went to the Harley Davidson shop there and this was long before people thought it was cool to own a Harley. If you want a motorbike tank airbrushed you should go check them out.

Now, back to Fargo. From what I'm gathering the gangs trying to establish themselves in Fargo are more distribution based.

Ebola will soon occupy the minds of Americans enough to where they won't even be thinking about Fargo or crime of this sort.

:gaah:Seriously I'm all alone on this thread?? :scared:

I suppose I could start answering my own questions.

OR I could type out a lengthy explanation of Geographic Profiling.

I did read an excellent article today on the disappearance and murder of a young girl in Hallock, MN. I had thought they confronted the wrong guy, but lo and behold after what I read today, I would have come to the same conclusion the police did.

I suppose that is what keeps us coming back to discuss these cases.

I think it's pretty clear how geographic profiling applies to this case...the perp was a drug dealer who either met him at Larry"s RV (during a drug deal) or brought him there (because he was familiar with the place due to past dealings there). I'd bet the perp is familiar with the area due to previous drug deals at that spot, and I'd guess he/she is a Fargo area resident. Probably why the cops don't think there is a risk to public safety...no risk to anyone unless it is someone who could rat this dealer out. Though since this method is normally used to track serial killers I don't think it will be used as the primary method of investigation in this case.

Hi All! I have been following this case and threads from the beginning. I cannot imagine the pain and frustration Tom's family and friends are going through and my heart goes out to all of them. I am so glad to have you WSers on here covering the case even if LE and media are being quiet. I cannot help but think, like many of you have thought, that those close with Tom hold the answers to what happened. I want to know about the baseball players he may have gone off with, if that allegation is true. (As opposed to if that were a drug reference)

This case screams of similarities to me with the case of Dammion Heard in Colorado. A young athlete (wrestler), somewhat new to college, goes missing after a party... found deceased several days later. There however, LE quickly ruled the case a suicide and the family has been fighting ever since to prove otherwise, and have hired a powerful team of PIs, etc. to fight a (IMO) corrupt and stubborn small town police department intricately tied to the college. If you are interested (and not to take away from Tom in any way): http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?242443-CO-Dammion-Heard-20-Gunnison-March-30-2014-quot-Suicide-quot-Under-Investigation

I think it's pretty clear how geographic profiling applies to this case...the perp was a drug dealer who either met him at Larry"s RV (during a drug deal) or brought him there (because he was familiar with the place due to past dealings there). I'd bet the perp is familiar with the area due to previous drug deals at that spot, and I'd guess he/she is a Fargo area resident. Probably why the cops don't think there is a risk to public safety...no risk to anyone unless it is someone who could rat this dealer out. Though since this method is normally used to track serial killers I don't think it will be used as the primary method of investigation in this case.

(BBM)
Just slightly contradicting yourself there but let's look at what you have.

You see, Geographic profiling is a method not an actual living, thinking person. So at that, the method has no idea WHAT crime took place, therefore GP would certainly be useful in this particular case primarily because there are the key features needed. 1). Last known area to be alive. 2). Location of the body when found. 3). Distance between the two. 4). Tentative time frame.

(When I say, "We", I'm meaning us out here in the general public and not the LE who have access to the more detailed information).

As such, GP and the KNOWN information is in fact, far and above a more solid, factual based view rather than, "I'd bet", "I'd guess" or "I think". At this point there is absolutely no evidence other than rumor and innuendo about drug involvement, drug dealers or a drug situation.

Young people often talk loose and big on social media in an attempt to make themselves look hip and cool about drinking and drug use. So the mention of these activities is absolutely in no way proof that the activity has taken place.

Hi All! I have been following this case and threads from the beginning. I cannot imagine the pain and frustration Tom's family and friends are going through and my heart goes out to all of them. I am so glad to have you WSers on here covering the case even if LE and media are being quiet. I cannot help but think, like many of you have thought, that those close with Tom hold the answers to what happened. I want to know about the baseball players he may have gone off with, if that allegation is true. (As opposed to if that were a drug reference)

This case screams of similarities to me with the case of Dammion Heard in Colorado. A young athlete (wrestler), somewhat new to college, goes missing after a party... found deceased several days later. There however, LE quickly ruled the case a suicide and the family has been fighting ever since to prove otherwise, and have hired a powerful team of PIs, etc. to fight a (IMO) corrupt and stubborn small town police department intricately tied to the college. If you are interested (and not to take away from Tom in any way): http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?242443-CO-Dammion-Heard-20-Gunnison-March-30-2014-quot-Suicide-quot-Under-Investigation

THANK YOU! I'm going to check this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member