ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I too was saddened by no mention of Tom's name....HE WAS A STUDENT!
But I also know that Mammon is the name of the game and its power is sometimes just too great.

Pathetic letter.

Simply compare UVA to ND.

The contrast is remarkable.

Ugh.

Too much info when there is actually an incident and not some imaginary blah blah blah!!!!

Not even a moment of silence. How come?
This university is that impersonal?
My son and daughter were thinking about attending NDSU but I have talked them out of it.
They will be going somewhere else.

Finally, an article!

If I recall, someone had asked the Fargo police either on Facebook or called about the investigation and they said they weren't working on it. I don't know why they would tell someone that when, according to this article, Fargo police ARE working on it.

QUOTE:
" Other items have been sent to forensic labs for DNA checking, and investigators have been following up on “various rumors” to see if they have any validity, Jacobson said. They’re also looking into tips heard “second- or third-hand on Facebook.” ENDQUOTE

- -That doesn't raise my confidence level that they have any idea at all who did this. If that really is the case, then why has the newspaper ( who has received numerous updates from the Moorhead police that they have not published) not bothered to say until now that the phone and shoe are still missing? It's still missing, and even if this article, no picture. I guess maybe I'm just still pouty at the media.

http://www.inforum.com/content/very-active-investigation-continues-bearson-slaying

One other thing I was just thinking about, which is all the articles I've been reading about how police are going to start saying drug overdoses are homicide. Police have been doing this recently apparently, and it's probably going to amp up. In Minnesota, they can do that I read. So I randomly have this thought in my mind that maybe it WAS an overdose, then I go back to...would they REALLY classify it as a homicide that fast without any toxicology, I doubt it, and that least facebook update. So many unanswered questions.

One other thing I was just thinking about, which is all the articles I've been reading about how police are going to start saying drug overdoses are homicide. Police have been doing this recently apparently, and it's probably going to amp up. In Minnesota, they can do that I read. So I randomly have this thought in my mind that maybe it WAS an overdose, then I go back to...would they REALLY classify it as a homicide that fast without any toxicology, I doubt it, and that least facebook update. So many unanswered questions.

I can't remember the particulars, but a year or two ago the Fargo or Grand Forks police arrested and charged a guy with murder when the person he administered drugs to O.D'd from it.

While it may be a business, I believe that schools enter into a contract with students. [full disclosure: I still have $60K as my part of my contract(s)] They provide educational opportunities and, especially for those living on campus or in school affiliated residences, a home away from home. There must be a level of openness, communication and trust between the students and the school. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. When I was doing a thesis at one state University, not in North Dakota, about intimate violence and the school's approach to it, I was surprised to find 5 rapes in my 2nd year at that school, a murder 3 years before and many non-sexual assaults. In the next step of my thesis, finding a structured approach to addressing the student's safety was problematic because there was virtually nothing being done by the school except for blue light phone stanchions. http://www.gonzaga.edu/student+life...ervices-Provided/Blue-Light-Phone-Program.asp [not the university I attended, just an example]

PR aside, it would have been a gracious gesture to even just do a memorial for TB.

NDSU safety program [Last Updated: Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:30:21 PM]:

http://www.ndsu.edu/telecommunications/

Running a university is a business. While it's definitely sad, they need to move on besides he's definitely not forgotten. They will be back into the news again when more information pops.

It's just bad PR to re-hash a freshmen student who showed up dead his first month at school especially when there is nothing else to add.

It's getting quiet around here.

It's not right they didn't have a moment of silence or even mention Tom in that speech. I could see it as another cultural thing, locals in my opinion (and especially older generation in my opinion) are just adverse to bringing up "bad" things, talking about "bad" things, saying something that might be argumentative or rock the boat. It's kind of a dysfunction really, this is just my opinion about the culture I don't know what other people would say.

I'm sure there was some kind of PR calculation here, so I'm not wanting to give a free card here for not mentioning Tom, he SHOULD have mentioned him. But I'm not sure that the majority of people listening to that speech feel like he necessarily had to, which makes it easier for him to get away with not mentioning Tom. And also makes it easier for the paper to get away with not writing articles about his disappearance for so long. It's not that people don't care though. I could actually see a room full of solemn locals, where everyone is awkwardly standing around thinking about something, and no one wants to say what they are thinking about and just solemnly kind of giving an indirect nod of the head before moving on. JMOs!! I know other Fargo and ND residents are on this board, curious what they think about my view on that if they are interested in responding.

The term homicidal violence was used; so was it overdose accompanied by a beating, dragging or some other violent act against TB?

I can't remember the particulars, but a year or two ago the Fargo or Grand Forks police arrested and charged a guy with murder when the person he administered drugs to O.D'd from it.

I think it was this case? If it wasn't this was a major one I remember from not too long ago, more than 15 people charged, they were not playing.

QUOTE "In the two months following the June death of overdose victim Christian Bjerk, 18, in Grand Forks, the major players in the international drug organization were identified and the drug ring dismantled. -

See more at: http://www.bakkentoday.com/event/article/id/36562/publisher_ID/82/#sthash.g80XWfFz.dpuf

It's not right they didn't have a moment of silence or even mention Tom in that speech. I could see it as another cultural thing, locals in my opinion (and especially older generation in my opinion) are just adverse to bringing up "bad" things, talking about "bad" things, saying something that might be argumentative or rock the boat. It's kind of a dysfunction really, this is just my opinion about the culture I don't know what other people would say.

I'm sure there was some kind of PR calculation here, so I'm not wanting to give a free card here for not mentioning Tom, he SHOULD have mentioned him. But I'm not sure that the majority of people listening to that speech feel like he necessarily had to, which makes it easier for him to get away with not mentioning Tom. And also makes it easier for the paper to get away with not writing articles about his disappearance for so long. It's not that people don't care though. I could actually see a room full of solemn locals, where everyone is awkwardly standing around thinking about something, and no one wants to say what they are thinking about and just solemnly kind of giving an indirect nod of the head before moving on. JMOs!! I know other Fargo and ND residents are on this board, curious what they think about my view on that if they are interested in responding.

Don't know about NoDak, but there is a book and then several you tubes about hilarious things about how to talk Minnesotan. There is that stoic kind of way.

People do feel reassured if someone breaks the ice and says something short and to the point. That could have been done.

A moment of silence is always appreciated. An acknowledgement that we exist and we count.

Also another update today, but this one is in regards to SEMCA and the Andrew Sadek case:

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/26758233/attorney-general-calls-for-review-of-semca

What kind of operational review though? I'm curious what exactly this means. If their primary mode of operating is to put young people at risk in an attempt to get them to rat out dangerous people, then I'm not sure they should really be operating at all. If they say "oh that's how we operate" and then they say, well looks like they're doing what they say, that won't accomplish anything. As long as it's acceptable to put young people at risk just because they got caught with a small amount of pot to catch these dangerous people, that's just not cool with me. There are other ways to catch the bad guys.

Also another update today, but this one is in regards to SEMCA and the Andrew Sadek case:

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/26758233/attorney-general-calls-for-review-of-semca

What kind of operational review though? I'm curious what exactly this means. If their primary mode of operating is to put young people at risk in an attempt to get them to rat out dangerous people, then I'm not sure they should really be operating at all. If they say "oh that's how we operate" and then they say, well looks like they're doing what they say, that won't accomplish anything. As long as it's acceptable to put young people at risk just because they got caught with a small amount of pot to catch these dangerous people, that's just not cool with me. There are other ways to catch the bad guys.

Yahoo! I am so happy about the review in the Sadek case. I, among many others, contacted Wayne Stenjum in outrage. Proof that the squeaky tire gets the oil.

This is a big deal for TAMMY Sadek, Andrew's mother.

Yahoo! I am so happy about the review in the Sadek case. I, among many others, contacted Wayne Stenjum in outrage. Proof that the squeaky tire gets the oil.

This is a big deal for TAMMY Sadek, Andrew's mother.

Great to hear! Great idea to contact the AG too, good to keep in mind that contacting people like that in cases like this really can help.

Yes. A gun shot to the head and a bag of rocks in the back pack. Obviously suicide!

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

...hmmm......so all of his young friends within his inner circle have stayed quiet???

Almost hard to believe......

...hmmm......so all of his young friends within his inner circle have stayed quiet???

Almost hard to believe......

It's possible they don't have any information. As previous posts have indicated, there are a lot of unsolved crimes in Fargo/Moorhead considering it's crime rate. LE said there was no indication the public was in danger, I wonder if this means they believe it was someone traveling through the area and TB was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennilynn321