NE NE - Chance Englebert, 25, Gering, 6 July 2019 (new father)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Star-Herald

Update. Search and rescue was back out on the stable club road searching canals today and yesterday
Noting locations:

Investigator Shawn West told the Star-Herald that Gering firefighters and a Goshen County Search and Rescue team have conducted additional searches along the canal, specifically in an area of the canal between Stable Club Road and Woodley Park Road. Google Maps

Those areas were initially searched by teams around Englebert’s disappearance. However, West said, the owner of the cadaver dog used during the searches, JN of Goshen Search and Rescue, had indicated at that time he wanted to return to the area and conduct additional searches, as it could take some time for a body to surface in a body of water.

In the initial search of the canal in early July, West said the canal was drained, but not completely. Nothing was discovered at that time. Terry's Lake was also among the areas searched with the cadaver dog. Google Maps

During the updated searches, West said the dog did make some indications, but to date, nothing has been found in the search.

Earlier this month, Numon explained to the Star-Herald how the dog, Pax, is a trained human remains detection (HRD) dog. Pax is searching for the human scent and if he alerts on the scent, he will lie down and bark.

Noting locations:

Investigator Shawn West told the Star-Herald that Gering firefighters and a Goshen County Search and Rescue team have conducted additional searches along the canal, specifically in an area of the canal between Stable Club Road and Woodley Park Road. Google Maps

Those areas were initially searched by teams around Englebert’s disappearance. However, West said, the owner of the cadaver dog used during the searches, JN of Goshen Search and Rescue, had indicated at that time he wanted to return to the area and conduct additional searches, as it could take some time for a body to surface in a body of water.

In the initial search of the canal in early July, West said the canal was drained, but not completely. Nothing was discovered at that time. Terry's Lake was also among the areas searched with the cadaver dog. Google Maps

During the updated searches, West said the dog did make some indications, but to date, nothing has been found in the search.

Earlier this month, Numon explained to the Star-Herald how the dog, Pax, is a trained human remains detection (HRD) dog. Pax is searching for the human scent and if he alerts on the scent, he will lie down and bark.
Thanks, Pommy.

That's alarming that the dog made some indication that Tyler was around there. I am really worried about him.

Early on, weren't there reports that Chance had been seen crossing the 10th street bridge and that his phone had pinged north of the river? These sites searched now are south of the river. So if the reports are accurate, he had to have come back across the bridge. Now, he certainly could have done that, but it doesn't really make sense with the supposed phone call to the friend that he was heading towards Torrington.

Early on, weren't there reports that Chance had been seen crossing the 10th street bridge and that his phone had pinged north of the river? These sites searched now are south of the river. So if the reports are accurate, he had to have come back across the bridge. Now, he certainly could have done that, but it doesn't really make sense with the supposed phone call to the friend that he was heading towards Torrington.
If you mean the report that a lady saw him standing under a tree as the storm hit and then run across the bridge after the storm, that report was found to not be CE but a young Hispanic man.

If you mean the report that a lady saw him standing under a tree as the storm hit and then run across the bridge after the storm, that report was found to not be CE but a young Hispanic man.
Thanks. i was a little suspicious of the reporting of sightings of him. Unless you knew him personally, how would you later be able to say you saw him. I see people walking on the side of the street all the time and never get them a second glance.

The google map is outdated but probably is a lot like it was in 2013. This was the search area. In the first one, you can see that the canal would look like a ditch in low water. Follow it along (not pictured) Owl Rd and you see it gets a start at the North Platte River, where a flash flood might be pretty swift.

https://s296.photobucket.com/user/crankycrankerson/media/Chance Englebert -NE/Between Woodland-StableRd_zpsmejaogdi.jpg.html?sort=2&o=133

During a 7/6/19 phone call to a friend (EH), Chance said he was walking in a ditch. The week of 7/29/19, a search was held along the canal between Woodley Park Rd and Stable Club Rd. The yellow markers go along the canal. Orange area was searched.

Attachments

• Between Woodland-StableRd.JPG
    Between Woodland-StableRd.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Canal.JPG
    Canal.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 31
eye witness sightings are notoriously incorrect. Lots of links with articles and reports about this.

Not fully draining that canal... why drain it most of the way but not all the way I wonder... The wording leads me to think there is something to it not being drained all the way.

Very worried for this young guy and those who love and care for him. It's been over 3 weeks...

@Steelslady - yep, Tyler's case is another mystery. (O/T - Sorry, I had my peeps wrong and called you Pommy. Sheesh!) OH - OH - Tyler Davis, 29, Columbus, 24 February 2019 #2

Initial reports were that his phone pinged in the vicinity of Owl Road, south of Western Travel Terminal. The terminal is north of the river but there is no evidence he was at the terminal.

We later learned that the phone data comes from an arc that is a couple of miles long and encompasses Scotts Bluff National Monument property in Gering to West 25th Street in Scottsbluff. That looks something like this: Google Maps As you can see, much of that area is south of the river. (I don't know how to make an arc in Google Maps.) :oops: MOO

Police continue to follow tips as Wyoming man Chance Englebert remains missing

Last edited:
Google Maps
Is that canal ever dry so that it could be the ditch, CE said he was walking in? Could he have been caught in a sudden surge of water during the strong storm that passed through?
I can't tell from the google maps view which direction the canal flows, what is up stream or down stream.

Even if he had been drinking at the grandparent's home earlier in the evening, this was 3 to 4 hours later, wouldn't he have been more sober then?
This is the same place they searched when he first went missing and they had to drain the ditch to search it. They decided to go back after a couple weeks because it can take time for a body to float in cold waters. According to the article I earlier referenced. The storm we had was massive that evening, so I'm not sure being aware of the outdoors why he would get in a ditch during flash floods. MOO on the things that aren't included in the article. This ditch specifically wasn't empty, but other canals were around this time, bevause the source in ft Laramie Wyoming collapsed. So water was sparce in some canals. MOO because I don't have the article to quote on the canal collapse

Google Maps
If CE entered the canal around Martha St and if it was the ditch he referred to when talking with his friend, asking for a ride, he would have been stopped when the canal went under the road at Five Rock Road. It is highly unlikely he would have climbed up the bank of the canal, crossed the road and then reentered the canal (ditch). He may have continued on Owl Road.
I am assuming that the North Platte River runs from west to east down across Nebraska. If that is an correct assumption, then the canal entrance is only a little west of the area being searched and a sudden increase of water in the canal from the storm (flash flood) would be the strongest to the west of Five Rock Road.
Looking at the canal in this area on Google street view shows it as having relatively shallow banks or another way to say it is the banks look easy to climb. Why would someone keep walking in a ditch when such a severe storm came through?

Why was the canal constructed? Was it a flood control project?

Google Maps
Is that canal ever dry so that it could be the ditch, CE said he was walking in? Could he have been caught in a sudden surge of water during the strong storm that passed through?
I can't tell from the google maps view which direction the canal flows, what is up stream or down stream.

Even if he had been drinking at the grandparent's home earlier in the evening, this was 3 to 4 hours later, wouldn't he have been more sober then?

How long does it normally take for retrieval of cell phone data after subpoena? I have read where iPhone data can be limited especially with messages and such.

This is the same place they searched when he first went missing and they had to drain the ditch to search it. They decided to go back after a couple weeks because it can take time for a body to float in cold waters. According to the article I earlier referenced. The storm we had was massive that evening, so I'm not sure being aware of the outdoors why he would get in a ditch during flash floods. MOO on the things that aren't included in the article. This ditch specifically wasn't empty, but other canals were around this time, bevause the source in ft Laramie Wyoming collapsed. So water was sparce in some canals. MOO because I don't have the article to quote on the canal collapse
The canal collapse had not yet occurred when he disappeared. And I am not sure that this ditch is actually affiliated with that canal system anyway. But regardless, there would have been significant water in that ditch at the time Chance went missing.

Google Maps
Why would someone keep walking in a ditch when such a severe storm came through?
Respectfully snipped for focus.
Because he was deeply distressed by the conversation he had with his relatives. Sadly, it appears this promising young man has met with misadventure. Prayers continue.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Respectfully snipped for focus.
Because he was deeply distressed by the conversation he had with his relatives. Sadly, it appears this promising young man has met with misadventure. Prayers continue.

Amateur opinion and speculation
The ditch seems like an odd place to commit suicide however. And I think his body would have already been located.

The ditch seems like an odd place to commit suicide however. And I think his body would have already been located.

I imagined a "ditch" to be a ditch and not a canal. Why would he be wading in the canal while talking to his buddy?
That doesn't make sense. Being caught unaware by a flash flood in another unidentified ditch strikes me as more likely but that's jmo.

I think the confusion here is that there is a ditch that runs parallel to Woodley Park Road and Stable Club Road. [URL='https://www.google.com/maps/place/41%C2%B050'45.5%22N+103%C2%B040'16.5%22W/@41.846088,-103.6713545,214m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d41.845971!4d-103.671236']Google Maps. This is being referred to as a canal. When looked at with Google street view is is a not wide or very deep. At each intersection it goes under the road in a tunnel or culvert which looks to be difficult for a person to go through even if it is dry. This area between Woodley Park Road and Stable Club Road is the area that cadaver dogs did an unconvincing hit on and therefore it was searched again recently.[/URL]
It is thought to be the ditch ( if there was no water in it) that CE may have been referring to when he told his friend he was walking in a ditch toward Torrington. This canal starts right off the North Platte River a little more west and would probably flood quickly if there was a flash flood.

There is also the Ft. Laramie-Gering Irrigation canal that runs further north of Scotts Bluff and probably has nothing to do with this.

All of this is based on Google Map street views and previous information on this thread.

[URL='https://www.google.com/maps/place/41%C2%B050'45.5%22N+103%C2%B040'16.5%22W/@41.846088,-103.6713545,214m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d41.845971!4d-103.671236'] [/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake12