NE NE - Chance Englebert, 25, Gering, 6 July 2019 (new father)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you @PommyMommy for that time line.
The 10:00 ping from the vicinity of Owl Road is on the way south toward Kimball but wtill in Gering. I wonder if he called his friends and couldn't get a ride and then talked to his wife and told her that he was walking to Kimball. He could have thrown his phone away into the river as he went across the bridge.
He may have been picked up, people are friendly that way, and taken down to Kimball. I don't recall that the sightings in Torrington were verified on MSM, but I cold be wrong

I thought he grew up in Edgemont, South Dakota on Edgemont Ranch and that his family still lives there. And, I thought her family lived in Scotts Bluff, Nebraska and they were visiting her grandparents there when he took his walk.
It must be hard on his parents and his brothers to not be able to come down to search for Chance.
His mother and brother are (or have been) in Gering since his disappearance. See videos posted upthread. MOO
How was his day spent July 6th?
I think all we know prior to his "walk" that evening is that he went golfing "with the guys" and at some point during the day, he got into an argument with his family. I don't follow on FB, though, so if there is more information there I am unaware of it. MOO

Thank you @PommyMommy for that time line.
The 10:00 ping from the vicinity of Owl Road is on the way south toward Kimball but wtill in Gering. I wonder if he called his friends and couldn't get a ride and then talked to his wife and told her that he was walking to Kimball. He could have thrown his phone away into the river as he went across the bridge.
He may have been picked up, people are friendly that way, and taken down to Kimball. I don't recall that the sightings in Torrington were verified on MSM, but I cold be wrong
You're welcome. The Domino's Pizza sighting, the surveillance footage capture, and the phone ping are all north of the residence - an approximate 1 hour walk. Google Maps

Kimball is over 50 miles south of the residence - a 17-hour walk: Google Maps

Are you thinking that he walked an hour north, left his phone there to ping, and then turned around to walk south? MOO

You're welcome. The Domino's Pizza sighting, the surveillance footage capture, and the phone ping are all north of the residence - an approximate 1 hour walk. Google Maps

Kimball is over 50 miles south of the residence - a 17-hour walk: Google Maps

Are you thinking that he walked an hour north, left his phone there to ping, and then turned around to walk south? MOO
I guess I am hung up on the fact that he told his wife in one of the last phone calls that he was walking to Kimball.
If that was a lie, why would he deliberately lie to her?
I choose to believe that he had headed north toward Torrington, contacted his friends who couldn't/wouldn't come get him. So he had to find another way out of town, not necessarily to Moorcroft , so he started walking south to Kimball, someone picked him and gave him a ride down there. He either got a long haul truck out or hopped on a slow moving train through there. Google maps show train tracks going through Kimball.
Either way he could get to Cheyenne, where he has been before and may still have friends and connections.

Maybe she knows something more than what is being reported in MSM. Sounds ominous.

Amateur speculation and opinion

A mother's plea: Chance, come home

"Baylee Englebert was seen prior to the press conference and walked out a couple of times as law enforcement met with the family"

She appears to be distancing herself. She didn't participate in the second family press conference. Imo

"Baylee Englebert was seen prior to the press conference and walked out a couple of times as law enforcement met with the family"

She appears to be distancing herself. She didn't participate in the second family press conference. Imo
It’s got to be overwhelming, especially with a new baby.

I guess I am hung up on the fact that he told his wife in one of the last phone calls that he was walking to Kimball.
If that was a lie, why would he deliberately lie to her?
I choose to believe that he had headed north toward Torrington, contacted his friends who couldn't/wouldn't come get him. So he had to find another way out of town, not necessarily to Moorcroft , so he started walking south to Kimball, someone picked him and gave him a ride down there. He either got a long haul truck out or hopped on a slow moving train through there. Google maps show train tracks going through Kimball.
Either way he could get to Cheyenne, where he has been before and may still have friends and connections.
If his family told him they were looking for him or would be coming to look for him, he might have told them he was walking toward Kimball to avoid being found. Obviously, he didn't want them picking him up because he asked friends to do that.

I sure prefer the idea that he was heading toward Kimball and away from that river. I wish the evidence pointed to that. MOO

Maybe she's feeling like his family is blaming her? Not saying she's responsible just that they were visiting her family and something upset him enough to leave.

He must really have not wanted to return if even during a thunderstorm, Chance kept going forward and didn't turn to go back. Did he plan to walk all the way to Wyoming?! In the middle of the night?! During a thunderstorm?! I am not from a rural area so I don't know these things, forgive my ignorance, but he was not able to call a taxi? Or find a bar he could simply hang out at for a while? I find that part odd but maybe I simply don't know the area.

He must really have not wanted to return if even during a thunderstorm, Chance kept going forward and didn't turn to go back. Did he plan to walk all the way to Wyoming?! In the middle of the night?! During a thunderstorm?! I am not from a rural area so I don't know these things, forgive my ignorance, but he was not able to call a taxi? Or find a bar he could simply hang out at for a while? I find that part odd but maybe I simply don't know the area.

This map shows a bar very close to the location where he was said to have been seen on video. It appears that a motel is within 7 minutes via walking. If his phone last pinged at 10pm surely it would have been functional at the roofing location two hours earlier.

MOO

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-30-03-03-18-1.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-30-03-03-18-1.png
    608.5 KB · Views: 19
Foul play just doesn't make sense to me. He is an obviously fit, strong young man who wasn't carrying anything of apparent value. Why mug him? And, even if he was the target of a mugging, where is his body? Street criminals don't go to lengths to hide a body. Besides, I don't get the feeling that street crime is very prevalent in Scotts Bluff.

Foul play by someone he knows or family makes no sense at all. What would be the motive?

Going into the river on purpose doesn't fit with how he has been described by family and friends. He seems to be a competitive, hard working man.

If he was walking on Owl Road or on the Monument Trail, he would have had to leave the road and go down toward the river. That would be easy in a couple of spots. But, this is a man who grew up on a ranch, knows weather and knows flash floods etc. It is hard for me to think he was accidentally caught, but it is possible

On the other hand, he had just spent the day golfing with the guys (reported as in-laws) and then was back at her grandparents home and there was an argument. He may have very well felt ganged up on. It was definitely more than the usual disagreement that he would have walked off in the past. Anyway, he left angry and walked, possibly lying to his wife by saying he was walking to Kimball, but going in the opposite direction. He did not want to be picked up by her or family. He reached out to his friends, so it was okay for them to pick him up, indicating he was looking for support and acceptance from them.

I think that whatever accusations, expectations or recriminations were hurled about that day, they were enough to make him storm out and take off, and lie to his wife so she couldn't come get him. I think he forgot that this behavior would also deeply affect his own close family and now he cannot surface because his disappearance has become so huge in the area. All the issues that made him walk away are probably still in place so until they change, how can he come back?
MOO MOO MOO

Last edited:
Foul play just doesn't make sense to me. He is an obviously fit, strong young man who wasn't carrying anything of apparent value. Why mug him? And, even if he was the target of a mugging, where is his body? Street criminals don't go to lengths to hide a body. Besides, I don't get the feeling that street crime is very prevalent in Scotts Bluff.

Foul play by someone he knows or family makes no sense at all. What would be the motive?

Going into the river on purpose doesn't fit with how he has been described by family and friends. He seems to be a competitive, hard working man.

If he was walking on Owl Road or on the Monument Trail, he would have had to leave the road and go down toward the river. That would be easy in a couple of spots. But, this is a man who grew up on a ranch, knows weather and knows flash floods etc. It is hard for me to think he was accidentally caught, but it is possible

On the other hand, he had just spent the day golfing with the guys (reported as in-laws) and then was back at her grandparents home and there was an argument. He may have very well felt ganged up on. It was definitely more than the usual disagreement that he would have walked off in the past. Anyway, he left angry and walked, possibly lying to his wife by saying he was walking to Kimball, but going in the opposite direction. He did not want to be picked up by her or family. He reached out to his friends, so it was okay for them to pick him up, indicating he was looking for support and acceptance from them.

I think that whatever accusations, expectations or recriminations were hurled about that day, they were enough to make him storm out and take off, and lie to his wife so she couldn't come get him. I think he forgot that this behavior would also deeply affect his own close family and now he cannot surface because his disappearance has become so huge in the area. All the issues that made him walk away are probably still in place so until they change, how can he come back?
MOO MOO MOO
I have been looking all over for the conversation where he told his wife that he was headed Kimball direction, haven't been able to locate it. My only concern is what has he been doing for money? There has been no financial activity initiated by him. The phone went down at 10pm and he only had the clothing on his back. MOO

This map shows a bar very close to the location where he was said to have been seen on video. It appears that a motel is within 7 minutes via walking. If his phone last pinged at 10pm surely it would have been functional at the roofing location two hours earlier.

MOO
Can you clarify what you mean by "the roofing location?" I don't understand what you mean. MOO

I have been looking all over for the conversation where he told his wife that he was headed Kimball direction, haven't been able to locate it. My only concern is what has he been doing for money? There has been no financial activity initiated by him. The phone went down at 10pm and he only had the clothing on his back. MOO
Authorities search North Platte, along Highway 92 for missing Wyoming man
When she last talked to her husband, she said, he had told her he was walking south toward Kimball, but he had also contacted friends and said he was walking toward Torrington.

Authorities search North Platte, along Highway 92 for missing Wyoming man
When she last talked to her husband, she said, he had told her he was walking south toward Kimball, but he had also contacted friends and said he was walking toward Torrington.
I have searched all over in the news for that information but have not found it. Do they say if he was speaking on the phone or is this all via text message? The new missing poster states that he only wanted to go home. Edgemont is not all that far from Gering. Wondering why family couldn't have put him in a motel and driven down the next day.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1564475763593.jpg
    FB_IMG_1564475763593.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 9

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-30-10-01-30-1.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-30-10-01-30-1.png
    645.4 KB · Views: 13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online