NE NE - Jason Jolkowski -19 - Omaha - 13 Jun 2001 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@Cupofcare I think your theory is possible. I wonder about the chance someone could be so violent and unstable once, remained untreated, and just never show that side again. Not saying it isn't possible though.

The six million dollar question for me has always been: Why that morning? If it was simply an impulsive act then that goes out the window. However, I struggle to accept that this happened at 10am in a short walk through a suburban neighbourhood. I'm not saying it couldn't have taken place. Random crimes of opportunity do happen. It just seems unlikely to me on the balance of probabilities.

I've seen others posit the theory that Jason was secretly gay, or at least struggling with his sexuality, and that he embraced the church in order to please his parents. Many closeted young gay men from Catholic upbringings feel forced to embrace the church community and priesthood. I definitely think this theory has legs. I've seen some resistance to the discussion on Jason's sexuality in the past, although I cannot fathom why? Jason had no known ties to drugs or criminality, so this doesn't leave much motive for foul play other than a sexual/romantic one.

I still believe that JJ's disappearance was due to a random "crime of opportunity", rather than something planned ahead of time by a perp. and/or the horrible result of a planned meeting he had with someone, etc. I.e., as has been discussed - he was not scheduled to work that morning, nor was he planning on walking to the H.S. (to get a ride from his co-worker) until the last minute. So, unless someone was "stalking" him, I think whatever happened occurred on the spur-of-the-moment. Going along with this & and as has been discussed - IMHO one of two scenarios occurred:

1) He was lured/coerced into a home somewhere on his walk to the school - for nefarious purposes.
2) Something happened to him in relation to a car driving by. I.e., he was possibly lured into a car (on the promise that he would be driven to the H.S.); or he was coerced into a car against his will for purposes of theft and/or assault; or, he was accidentally hit by a car & then brought into the car.

Overall - I think the home & car scenarios are both equally plausible. Though I do agree that the specific car accident theory (i.e., he was accidentally hit & then he was brought into the car) the least likely/improbable - though, again - not impossible.

Though others may disagree with me on this, I don't believe that he intended to make a 'side-trip' to talk to anyone on his way to the H.S. Also again - he just didn't have time. He needed to meet his co-worker before she left the H.S. parking lot - which he knew she would do, if he took too long in getting there.

I still believe that JJ's disappearance was due to a random "crime of opportunity", rather than something planned ahead of time by a perp. and/or the horrible result of a planned meeting he had with someone, etc. I.e., as has been discussed - he was not scheduled to work that morning, nor was he planning on walking to the H.S. (to get a ride from his co-worker) until the last minute. So, unless someone was "stalking" him, I think whatever happened occurred on the spur-of-the-moment. Going along with this & and as has been discussed - IMHO one of two scenarios occurred:

1) He was lured/coerced into a home somewhere on his walk to the school - for nefarious purposes.
2) Something happened to him in relation to a car driving by. I.e., he was possibly lured into a car (on the promise that he would be driven to the H.S.); or he was coerced into a car against his will for purposes of theft and/or assault; or, he was accidentally hit by a car & then brought into the car.

Overall - I think the home & car scenarios are both equally plausible. Though I do agree that the specific car accident theory (i.e., he was accidentally hit & then he was brought into the car) the least likely/improbable - though, again - not impossible.

Though others may disagree with me on this, I don't believe that he intended to make a 'side-trip' to talk to anyone on his way to the H.S. Also again - he just didn't have time. He needed to meet his co-worker before she left the H.S. parking lot - which he knew she would do, if he took too long in getting there.
My problem with the scenario is what kind of neighbourhood is this that a random 18 year-old man is lured to his death in broad daylight? There was a small window of opportunity for something to happen. Jason must have walked those streets dozens of times. How come nothing happened when Jason was strolling around in the evening? That would've been a far more likelier time for someone to stage an abduction.

My problem with the scenario is what kind of neighbourhood is this that a random 18 year-old man is lured to his death in broad daylight? There was a small window of opportunity for something to happen. Jason must have walked those streets dozens of times. How come nothing happened when Jason was strolling around in the evening? That would've been a far more likelier time for someone to stage an abduction.

Agreed. But, again, if it was a person/persons in a home - I don't think this was planned ahead of time.

Also again, a person/persons randomly driving by at just that time that he was walking to the H.S. - that JJ didn't even know - could have been the culprit(s).

Agreed. But, again, if it was a person/persons in a home - I don't think this was planned ahead of time.

Also again, a person/persons randomly driving by at just that time that he was walking to the H.S. - that JJ didn't even know - could have been the culprit(s).
Don't you find the timing is too coincidental?

There was only a small window of opportunity. Since there's no sightings of Jason after he left his house, that would suggest that it happened soon into his journey to the school. So, Jason just happened to turn the corner and encounter a random predator on the next block or one just happened to be cruising the neighbourhood and decided to target a 6+ foot, 18 year old dude?

I think he got in a car, willingly, and the danger set in afterward. That's the only thing that makes sense for just how quickly he vanished and how nobody saw him. The only thing that makes me doubt this though, is that they searched for him some 10 days later. There's time there to cover up a crime if it happened on that block. But still, there wasn't anything at all suspicious when LE did their investigation through these neighborhoods?

I wonder if Jason had a close female friends or coworkers who liked to pour their hearts out to him? Could any of these girls have had jealous boyfriends? One of these boyfriends could have thought Jason was”messing with his girl”, been watching his house to see if his girl showed up there, saw Jason leave, grabbed him and harmed him?
Anything seems possible at this point.

Don't you find the timing is too coincidental?

There was only a small window of opportunity. Since there's no sightings of Jason after he left his house, that would suggest that it happened soon into his journey to the school. So, Jason just happened to turn the corner and encounter a random predator on the next block or one just happened to be cruising the neighbourhood and decided to target a 6+ foot, 18 year old dude?

Yes - IMHO this is absolutely possible. Once the perp. got JJ into the car (if it happened that way), he was more vulnerable. Note the perp. may not have been a complete stranger to JJ - maybe it's someone he knew slightly, but not well. They may have promised JJ a ride to the H.S. so he could meet his co-worker - and he took the offer since he knew he would get there faster by car, etc.

I think he got in a car, willingly, and the danger set in afterward. That's the only thing that makes sense for just how quickly he vanished and how nobody saw him. The only thing that makes me doubt this though, is that they searched for him some 10 days later. There's time there to cover up a crime if it happened on that block. But still, there wasn't anything at all suspicious when LE did their investigation through these neighborhoods?

Yes, JJ being lured into a car willingly makes a lot more sense than him getting into a car under duress - especially given that he vanished in the morning & in broad daylight.

If the person/persons in the car wasn't a neighbor and/or anyone who lived in the immediate area, there was no crime to "cover up". I.e., the car may have just sped off with JJ to parts unknown & that was it. Obviously, JJ didn't go near the school because no cameras ATT captured him entering the H.S. parking lot at all - either on foot, or in a car.

Earlier on this thread, I mentioned that I grew up in a suburban neighborhood similar to JJ's. And, on a weekday there wasn't always a lot of activity outside - especially if it was hot/warm. Most people were at work during this time. And, even if some were at home (retired people, stay-at-home spouses, kids if they're off school, etc.) - they wouldn't necessarily have been outside ATT. So, I can easily see someone stopping near JJ, offering him a ride, JJ getting into the car, and the car driving off. The entire event could easily have happened in 1-2 minutes. And - unless someone was walking nearby/mowing their lawn/coincidentally looking out of a nearby window at that exact time, I can see how/why no one saw anything.

Last edited:
<modsnip - quoted post was removed for unapproved source>

1) Caveat: I don't know this area at all, and have never even been to NE. So, someone who knows the area well may offer more context. But, if JJ made it as far as this gas station - what direction was he walking towards?! Was it away from the H.S.?! Or was it a short-cut to the H.S.?! It sounds like that gas station was a distance from his house.

2) Re: JJ being spotted in a store looking "nervous" - I remember reading this somewhere before. I somehow doubt this "possibility" because that suggests someone had possibly "kidnapped" him & then taken him into a store with them - under duress. I find this possibility unlikely - but of course not impossible.

I wonder if Jason had a close female friends or coworkers who liked to pour their hearts out to him? Could any of these girls have had jealous boyfriends? One of these boyfriends could have thought Jason was”messing with his girl”, been watching his house to see if his girl showed up there, saw Jason leave, grabbed him and harmed him?
Anything seems possible at this point.

Not sure what JJ's dating situation was ATT. Everything I've read suggested that he was single - but was interested in women. So, yes - it's possible that he may have either been interested in a woman and/or been friends with a woman who may have had a jealous bf/ex-bf.

That being said, as we've discussed it's much more likely that he got into a car willingly rather than due to being threatened. I.e., if the perp. was a jealous bf - then he probably didn't act angry (at first) in order to get JJ into the car without him suspecting anything.

Also as has been discussed before - I think that after JJ got into the car, things went south from there. I.e., I suspect some kind of altercation/assault/threat occurred not long after.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s the follow-up to my previous post. It ties into the current discussion, so I figured now was a good time to post it.

Apologies for the length. Please read the disclaimer* before maybe dismissing the possibility and forgive any spelling, grammar, or punctuation errors. I edited as best as I could.

My theory:

There is one possible scenario in which a neighbor could’ve been stalking Jason/his family and casing out his house without leaving the comfort of his or her own home. And though it sounds like a stretch, it’s not as farfetched or as unlikely as it sounds, especially back in the early 2000’s. It was probably more common back then, before people ditched their landlines for cell phones, but it still continues today. A quick internet search will confirm this.

If the Jolkowskis regularly used a cordless phone connected to an analogue phone service (home phone, not cell phone), to make and receive calls, someone in the neighborhood within a certain range of their house (see map in my previous post) could have been listening in on their conversations for weeks, months, or even years. This would be due to frequency overlap. And the Jolkowskis would never have even known it. All the eavesdropper needed was to be within range and have the same brand and model of cordless phone, *OR* use a baby monitor, police scanner or other wireless communication device on the same frequency as the Jolkowski’s cordless phone, which resulted in overlapping frequencies.

On the outside, looking in, what may seem like to us as a random, spur of the moment, or chance encounter, may not have been. It may have been a neighbor playing a calculated long game. I can’t stress this enough, no one would have ever known they were being spied on except in rare cases. I get that some folks believe it was an online predator, and that could still be the case, for sure, but I think that would potentially leave more clues. Eavesdropping with a baby monitor or police scanner would not (see disclaimer).

Unlike today’s models, older model baby monitors were passive, one-way listening devices without all the bells and whistles they have now. I think police scanners are still one-way. You’d only have to leave them on and wait to hear voices in order to listen in. There’d be little chance of detection in the case of baby monitors and police scanners. Cordless phones would have a higher chance at being found out, as there might be cross-talk, background noise, random ringing with no one there, and possible long-distance or local call billing errors, depending on the service, which I have over a decade of experience with working at the former Ma Bell.

If one of the Jolkowski’s neighbors used one of these devices, discovered they could eavesdrop on them, and listened in regularly and long enough, that neighbor would have eventually been able to figure out who they were listening to, where they lived, what they were up to, and all their comings and goings. Heck, they could have even known what they had for dinner the night before, and that Jason’s car was in the shop, too. All that was needed was for the subject to be a topic of a phone conversation made on their cordless phone, and someone listening in.

*DISCLAIMER: Please note, I’m not saying anyone deliberately went out and bought a baby monitor or police scanner with the express purpose of spying on the Jolkowski’s or any neighbors. Most eavesdropping incidences due to overlapping frequencies (that I’ve come across) were discovered by accident by the eavesdropper. Again, a quick internet search will confirm this. There’s forums of people admitting they’ve heard phone conversations through scanners and baby monitors. Some were courteous enough to change the frequency or tell the neighbor they could hear them. In all cases, the listener stumbled upon it, and some simply continued listening in without saying anything at all. My best friend did this with her police scanner, listening in on her neighbor’s conversations for months as a form of entertainment after discovering she could hear them. She listened in until she moved to a new place, and the neighbor had no clue. I’m also aware there are detectors out there now that can detect radio frequencies, but I’m not sure if they were available to consumers back in the early 2000’s. But if you didn’t know, or if it didn’t occur to you that you were being spied on, you wouldn’t think to get one. **

I don’t know if the Jolkowskis used a cordless phone or not. If they didn’t, then, of course, this is a non-issue. But cordless phone use had gained a lot of popularity by the 2000’s, and many people used them. If they did use one, then someone eavesdropping on them, and then waiting for the right opportunity to strike, is a real possibility.

And that opportunity would have presented itself if they overheard Jason’s conversations with Fazoli’s that morning. This makes sense, as opposed to someone lurking outside or sitting in a car waiting to pounce. They would have known approximately when he was leaving and exactly where he was going: Jason and his coworker discussed time and place over the phone. They would have also known he was on foot and pressed for time, possibly more amenable to a ride on that hot day than if he were just out for a stroll. Then all that neighbor would have had to do was hop in a vehicle and meet up with him somewhere along the route. Had this person been in the neighborhood long enough, they may have known who would be home or at work, who would be peeking out of their blinds, and where the best, least risky place to offer a ride would be.

This spying neighbor could have been a familiar face to Jason, possibly someone Jason encountered a time or two on his walks, in passing, in what appeared to be random encounters, where they exchanged greetings or waves. Someone he may have grown accustomed to seeing out and about in the neighborhood and felt comfortable accepting a ride from in a pinch with little arm twisting. Someone he would equate to being a safe person, like someone walking a dog or pushing a baby in a stroller. Again, these encounters could have been achieved by the neighbor simply listening in and timing it right, should the topic arose during a phone conversation. That’s what I mean by a calculated long game, and it would have taken very little effort to do: putting himself or herself out there to lull Jason into a false sense of security.

If they encountered him that morning, they could have played it off like a chance meeting, like they were on their way to the store and just happened to run into him. Then offered him a ride, taking advantage of him being in a hurry. Any encounter between them could have been in under a minute and unremarkable, not drawing anyone’s notice. Or, it could have been dumb luck they weren’t seen.

If offered a ride, there was always a chance Jason would have declined, but declining would have posed very little risk to the neighbor. If refused, all the neighbor would have had to do was shrug and go on their merry way, their encounter not suspicious.

The eavesdropping could have even continued past Jason’s disappearance as a way for the perpetrator to monitor the case’s progress and elude capture. Nobody, absolutely nobody, would have a clue they were being spied on with a baby monitor or police scanner, unless someone told them. However, in the case of matching cordless phones, there could be some indicators, like random ringing, billed call discrepancies on their phone bill, or hearing cross-talk.

I'm no expert on cordless phone technology, by any means. What little I know about them comes from professional and personal experiences with cordless phones. When I lived in the city, I put mine away after I heard people talking on it because if I could hear them, someone might be able to hear me, and I valued my privacy.

My observations also come from working for the former Ma Bell for 30 years. Half of my tenure was in residential
customer service, where I often dealt with issues like billing errors, cross-talk, people actually admitting to me they were listening to their neighbors, like it was a game or a joke. I was the billing subject matter expert in my office and was the one who figured out that someone outside talking on a cordless phone could result in their billable calls ending up on a neighbor’s phone bill. I was told 1 in 30 cordless phones were on the same frequency, and the frequency ranges were anywhere from 300 to 2000 feet. I think back then the range was shorter, but in a populated area, a 300-500 foot range could encompass more homes, especially if there were large apartment complexes nearby, as was mine and my friend’s cases.

If anyone with more expertise on the technical side wants to chime in, by all means, please do, and I’ll stand corrected.

I doubt little can be done to investigate this angle now, the time to have investigated this possibility was in the beginning, as mentioned in my previous post. It’s why I said they needed to knock on every door within that circle, except a more accurate one. The only things I can think of is maybe looking at a city directory from that time and, using a map like the one I drew, looking for anyone in the vicinity who may have committed a similar crime since Jason’s disappearance. They could also look at the Jolkowskis’ old phone bills, if still available, from around that time to see if there were any repetitive call billing errors which might indicate frequency overlap due to matching cordless phones. Possibly old repair tickets if cross-talk was reported. Though it’s been decades, this information may still be available, depending on the systems their local phone company uses now. You never know, but it’s possible any erroneously billed calls or reported cross-talk could have belonged to the perpetrator’s household if it was due to cordless phone frequency overlap.

And for those thinking that spying on neighbors is out of the realm of possibilities, here’s some food for thought:

1 in 4 people admitted to spying on their neighbors with their security cameras/security systems.

“The devil can be a man or a woman.” Robert McCammon. The Listener

Thank you for reading.

Yes - IMHO this is absolutely possible. Once the perp. got JJ into the car (if it happened that way), he was more vulnerable. Note the perp. may not have been a complete stranger to JJ - maybe it's someone he knew slightly, but not well. They may have promised JJ a ride to the H.S. so he could meet his co-worker - and he took the offer since he knew he would get there faster by car, etc.

Yes, JJ being lured into a car willingly makes a lot more sense than him getting into a car under duress - especially given that he vanished in the morning & in broad daylight.

If the person/persons in the car wasn't a neighbor and/or anyone who lived in the immediate area, there was no crime to "cover up". I.e., the car may have just sped off with JJ to parts unknown & that was it. Obviously, JJ didn't go near the school because no cameras ATT captured him entering the H.S. parking lot at all - either on foot, or in a car.

Earlier on this thread, I mentioned that I grew up in a suburban neighborhood similar to JJ's. And, on a weekday there wasn't always a lot of activity outside - especially if it was hot/warm. Most people were at work during this time. And, even if some were at home (retired people, stay-at-home spouses, kids if they're off school, etc.) - they wouldn't necessarily have been outside ATT. So, I can easily see someone stopping near JJ, offering him a ride, JJ getting into the car, and the car driving off. The entire event could easily have happened in 1-2 minutes. And - unless someone was walking nearby/mowing their lawn/coincidentally looking out of a nearby window at that exact time, I can see how/why no one saw anything.
But why would Jason get into a stranger's car for a two minute ride to the school? Don't forget, it was Jason's idea to meet at the school in the first place. In fact, he originally wanted to walk to work. And I'm sure at 18 years old, Jason was well aware not to get into a strange person's car, especially for such a short journey.

Sorry, I just can't see it happening. The streets were so unsafe that the one morning Jason decides to walk to work, he gets abducted? Jason was a low-risk status victim. When you hear about young men disappearing, it's usually either connected to criminality or mental health issues. Even young men who fall afoul of serial killers are usually hitch-hikers, vagrants, or gay lovers. You won't find many young men getting snatched off the streets in broad daylight.

But why would Jason get into a stranger's car for a two minute ride to the school? Don't forget, it was Jason's idea to meet at the school in the first place. In fact, he originally wanted to walk to work. And I'm sure at 18 years old, Jason was well aware not to get into a strange person's car, especially for such a short journey.

Sorry, I just can't see it happening. The streets were so unsafe that the one morning Jason decides to walk to work, he gets abducted? Jason was a low-risk status victim. When you hear about young men disappearing, it's usually either connected to criminality or mental health issues. Even young men who fall afoul of serial killers are usually hitch-hikers, vagrants, or gay lovers. You won't find many young men getting snatched off the streets in broad daylight.

If JJ's disappearance was the result of his getting into a car, the perp. could have pulled over & offered him a ride at the beginning (or near the beginning) of his walk. As has been discussed on this thread - it was roughly a 15-minute walk from his home to the H.S. parking lot. His brother & neighbor didn't appear to watch him walking away for that long (after he helped with the trash cans). So, it's possible that he was picked up within a couple of minutes of leaving his house. And, I can see him accepting a ride so he could get to the meeting place faster - especially if it was hot/warm that day.

I definitely agree that you won't find many young men in JJ's situation being taken off the street(s) in the daylight hours. But, that doesn't mean it could/would never happen.

It seems evident that JJ's case is an anomaly. So, IMHO all bets are off when talking about the possibilities here.

Last edited:
It seems evident that JJ's case is an anomaly. So, IMHO all bets are off when talking about the possibilities here.

I think this is one of the strongest points to keep in mind. His disappearance defies a lot of statistical norms, so trying to shape a theory around them can be an act of futility.

Honestly, his case is so strange, a part of me wonders if it isn’t foul play at all, and if it’s possible Jason was fatally injured in some way on his walk that caused his body to be hidden in plain sight — ie; someone falling into a hole or crevice. I’m not familiar with the area, but I wonder if maybe he cut through a yard or a side street or stopped to look at something in the vicinity and was injured or trapped in a way that kept his body hidden. I would like to think he would have been found if this were true, but there have been cases before where people are pinned beneath or behind something and not found for years.

The six million dollar question for me has always been: Why that morning? If it was simply an impulsive act then that goes out the window. However, I struggle to accept that this happened at 10am in a short walk through a suburban neighbourhood. I'm not saying it couldn't have taken place. Random crimes of opportunity do happen. It just seems unlikely to me on the balance of probabilities.

I've seen others posit the theory that Jason was secretly gay, or at least struggling with his sexuality, and that he embraced the church in order to please his parents. Many closeted young gay men from Catholic upbringings feel forced to embrace the church community and priesthood. I definitely think this theory has legs. I've seen some resistance to the discussion on Jason's sexuality in the past, although I cannot fathom why? Jason had no known ties to drugs or criminality, so this doesn't leave much motive for foul play other than a sexual/romantic one.
Oh, I do think your theory is possible. And that a person would need to hide who they really are with family. I guess out of respect for JJ, with his mother posting here in the past, I'm thinking we could theorize more in the private conversation WS, if someone wanted to start up a convo. about some subjects. But I don't know that it would take us any further in this case sadly enough.

I think this is one of the strongest points to keep in mind. His disappearance defies a lot of statistical norms, so trying to shape a theory around them can be an act of futility.

Honestly, his case is so strange, a part of me wonders if it isn’t foul play at all, and if it’s possible Jason was fatally injured in some way on his walk that caused his body to be hidden in plain sight — ie; someone falling into a hole or crevice. I’m not familiar with the area, but I wonder if maybe he cut through a yard or a side street or stopped to look at something in the vicinity and was injured or trapped in a way that kept his body hidden. I would like to think he would have been found if this were true, but there have been cases before where people are pinned beneath or behind something and not found for years.
Yes, there has been alot of extensive discussion here in the past about any construction being done at the time of JJ's disappearance. I can't even recall what we came up with, but his former neighbour I believe said there wasn't much of anything being done in that area at the time. Being JJ was tall, over 6 ft. I believe, I don't think it is likely he got caught in a sewer outlet or anything, but I sure wouldn't discount it completely! If he had been smaller and skinnier more likely I would think. I do know that there have been several cold case investigators on this case and there is nothing new, we've heard that directly from them I think.

Yes, there has been alot of extensive discussion here in the past about any construction being done at the time of JJ's disappearance. I can't even recall what we came up with, but his former neighbour I believe said there wasn't much of anything being done in that area at the time. Being JJ was tall, over 6 ft. I believe, I don't think it is likely he got caught in a sewer outlet or anything, but I sure wouldn't discount it completely! If he had been smaller and skinnier more likely I would think. I do know that there have been several cold case investigators on this case and there is nothing new, we've heard that directly from them I think.

I was thinking less construction and more of something like an old well that was never covered up or marked. I remember a case where a small girl was crushed in between her mattress and bed frame and literally wasn’t found for days despite law enforcement and others being in and out of the room repeatedly; her body had become wedged in such a way that made her almost impossible to see. There was another missing person’s case solved recently when a man was found wedged behind a commercial refrigerator or large shelving whose body was trapped there for years. I know Jason was rather tall but he was relatively trim, and the area he was last in was a residential one, but there are always hidden dangers in any landscape.

It’s beyond sad that there is so little to go on in this case and so little movement. It’s as if he evaporated into thin air.

Last edited:

I think the resistance comes from the fact that there is literally no evidence that Jason was gay. There is nothing to suggest he was struggling with his sexuality or that he was in the closet. He had no known ties to drugs or criminality, like you said, so you’re willing to abandon those as motives — so why adopt this “secret gay” angle when there’s no ties to that either?

I think the resistance comes from the fact that there is literally no evidence that Jason was gay. There is nothing to suggest he was struggling with his sexuality or that he was in the closet. He had no known ties to drugs or criminality, like you said, so you’re willing to abandon those as motives — so why adopt this “secret gay” angle when there’s no ties to that either?

Jason had a strong religious background. Many closeted young men from Catholic families struggle with their sexuality. They have been known to join the seminary to suppress their sexuality and please their parents. Unlike the drugs & crime angle, this is not an untenable theory. If those were not the motive, that pretty much only leaves a crime of passion. Jason didn't have a girlfriend, no known lovelife, or much of a friend circle. He seems ripe to have been groomed by an older figure.

Assuming Jason wasn't gay, someone could have still preyed on him believing or hoping that he was, but I don't see this as a random abduction.

Jason had a strong religious background. Many closeted young men from Catholic families struggle with their sexuality. They have been known to join the seminary to suppress their sexuality and please their parents. Unlike the drugs & crime angle, this is not an untenable theory. If those were not the motive, that pretty much only leaves a crime of passion. Jason didn't have a girlfriend, no known lovelife, or much of a friend circle. He seems ripe to have been groomed by an older figure.

Assuming Jason wasn't gay, someone could have still preyed on him believing or hoping that he was, but I don't see this as a random abduction.

That may be true, but coming from a strong religious background and not having a girlfriend doesn’t mean he was probably gay. He could just as easily be introverted or have difficulties with social interaction, or simply not be interested in dating at the time. And there are plenty of teenagers who engage in activities they don’t necessarily care for in order to please their parents. I still see absolutely nothing to indicate he was gay or give that theory any other weight outside of baseless speculation.

And even if he were gay and it had something to do with his disappearance, that would really only leave us with two options: he started to explore dating and became involved with someone who harmed him, or he was groomed into a relationship with a predatory older male.

Considering it was 2001 and Nebraska, I sincerely doubt the former option would be true without some evidence of it or someone knowing. I was bisexual and dating openly as a teenager in central Florida at that time, and had to drive almost an hour to get to any kind of gay-friendly space and you didn’t find them by chance. You had to know where you were going or know someone else gay. I don’t imagine Nebraska had a real bustling gay scene back then. Someone would have interacted with him, or there would be some evidence of him searching out for others. The odds that he would be closeted and dating, with no one noticing, and that the first and only person he dated would end up being someone who kidnapped and murdered him, again, without even a whiff of proof, seems very unlikely.

If he were closeted and being groomed by an older predatory figure and that individual harmed him, I still feel like there would have been signs: a shift in his behavior, emotional instability, etc. Those are two significant factors that would have an impact on a young man and I think someone close to him would have picked up on one or the other. Is there even any evidence of abusive older males working at the church he attended? Any sex offenders nearby who would have regularly interacted with him? Accusations of other young men being groomed or abused by an older male in the area? Without anything to base it on, it seems like one would need to make several leaps in logic in order for this scenario to seem plausible.

I really think it’s more likely his case is some kind of accident or ‘death by misadventure’ or a perhaps a random of act of violence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back