NE NE - Jason Jolkowski -19 - Omaha - 13 Jun 2001 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Glad you posted this, studebkr. I was going to ask you what route you think Jason took,
Yep, it was me that posted that video. Further back a map. That would be my route. My son said it varied for him depending on the day, but usually straight up Bedford to Monroe and across the parking lot to Benson. My son started at Benson that next year, and probably had a car a lot of that time though.

On the 20th anniversary, I thought about trying to organize a walk, but then the family had the official remembrance at Roberts Park. I'm not sure how many of us are from Omaha, too, so a walk might not have been plausible.

I had not realized until the last set of threads that Jason went to Westside HS for his first years, and that his brother graduated from there. (For those outside of Omaha, the band 311 emerged from students at Westside High School)

I don't understand the transfer. If JJ had learning disabilities, Westside was way more equipped. My son had issues with school, and Benson was of little help to him. His issues were more social, and the school did little for students unless they were a discipline problem. The dropout rate there is staggering.

Someone mentioned they though JJ transferred to Benson because he was being bullied at Westside. If this is true, I wonder if that was something they looked at.

This was still a residential area with many families- kids play outside, people walk dogs, etc. Especially at that time. Gangs don't just go to places with a lot of potential witnesses in broad daylight and take some random person off the street. Sorry, it just doesn't happen. If anything gangs are more likely to just drive by and shoot. If they wanted to rob Jason for his money, his ATM card would likely have been used at least once, but according to reports it never was.
In regards to the neighbor theory, it doesn't have to necessarily have been an elderly pensioner, but someone maybe 30-40. Or maybe even someone closer to Jason's age as well.
Hi, did you happen to mention to that coworker of Jason's when you wrote to her awhile back that we have a thread here about Jason. I know you said she didn't reply to you, but just hoping she knows about it and may've read it. Just wondering :)

Not to mention the fact Jason felt safe enough to embark on four-mile walks in the evening but he was endangered walking a couple of blocks at 10 in the morning?
Actually, it would make more sense to me if he had disappeared on one of his long evening walks than on this short walk to the high school mid-morning!

Yep, it was me that posted that video. Further back a map. That would be my route. My son said it varied for him depending on the day, but usually straight up Bedford to Monroe and across the parking lot to Benson. My son started at Benson that next year, and probably had a car a lot of that time though.

On the 20th anniversary, I thought about trying to organize a walk, but then the family had the official remembrance at Roberts Park. I'm not sure how many of us are from Omaha, too, so a walk might not have been plausible.

I had not realized until the last set of threads that Jason went to Westside HS for his first years, and that his brother graduated from there. (For those outside of Omaha, the band 311 emerged from students at Westside High School)

I don't understand the transfer. If JJ had learning disabilities, Westside was way more equipped. My son had issues with school, and Benson was of little help to him. His issues were more social, and the school did little for students unless they were a discipline problem. The dropout rate there is staggering.

Someone mentioned they though JJ transferred to Benson because he was being bullied at Westside. If this is true, I wonder if that was something they looked at.
I suspect that even if he was bullied at Westside, that it wasn't part of the equation of Jason's disappearance, just because of the walk to the high school being last minute, mid-morning and very few people knew about it. And of course, it was way after high school years.

Hi, did you happen to mention to that coworker of Jason's when you wrote to her awhile back that we have a thread here about Jason. I know you said she didn't reply to you, but just hoping she knows about it and may've read it. Just wondering :)
I didn't mention the name specifically, but said that there's an online forum dedicated to the case. I don't think she'd really care either way unfortunately.

I didn't mention the name specifically, but said that there's an online forum dedicated to the case. I don't think she'd really care either way unfortunately.
Yes, it is unfortunate.

Welcome to the forum. We can always use fresh eyes.

I was Jason's Neighbor at the time he disappeared. While the area is not West Omaha, in 2001 it was not the gangland you describe. The Vaughn family of Holy Name spent many years and $$$ buying, renovating, and reselling houses to young families in the area to keep it from being blighted. Even if you watch Omaha Scanner (Facebook/Twitter) you won't see much crime activity in 2022 in this area. Most of it happens on the other side of Fontenelle Blvd. (to the East about six blocks)

Six blocks isn't very far, but the gang violence I am familiar with is drive by shootings, black on black, and nobody is picking up and hiding any bodies. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but we felt pretty safe there. My son also walked to Benson High, and Monroe Jr High before that. He and I have talked about the path we think JJ might have taken. How likely it was someone could have encountered trouble without a neighbor seeing something, etc.

I don't have a favorite theory. None have any evidence. I used to believe JJ ran away, because I was aware of some tension between him and his father over possibly joining the seminary, and I don't even know if that story is true. The longer he remains away, the less likely that remains a possibility. That would be quite a secret to keep.

Anyway, I know some of us have challenged your opinions, but opinions are welcome. I believe they all need to be looked at.

It would be interesting to know more about his associations from church. This has always seemed like a possibly overlooked part of his life, to me anyway. His whole life seems to have been Fazoli's, college and church.

For anyone (like me) who thinks this was premeditated, do you have any theories why the perpetrator had to make Jason disappear that day?

Let's say Jason had been secretly meeting someone, platonically or otherwise, I'm struggling to understand why that morning.

Even if this person was upset or angry that Jason had stood them up, that's still some overreaction.

He could have already had plans that day. He was off work and as far as we can tell had no other plans.

He could have had plans to meet with someone that morning. Insert any possible reason for the meeting. His car was in the shop so perhaps he told them to pick him up at home.

He gets a last minute call from work. He gets ready and pulls the garbage cans in. The person he was supposed to meet pulls up. Jason explains the situation and this unknown person offers him a ride to either work or the school. The driver never takes him to either and Jason never returns for any number of reasons.

He could have already had plans that day. He was off work and as far as we can tell had no other plans.

He could have had plans to meet with someone that morning. Insert any possible reason for the meeting. His car was in the shop so perhaps he told them to pick him up at home.

He gets a last minute call from work. He gets ready and pulls the garbage cans in. The person he was supposed to meet pulls up. Jason explains the situation and this unknown person offers him a ride to either work or the school. The driver never takes him to either and Jason never returns for any number of reasons.
I think the neighbour or his brother also saw Jason leaving his home and walking away. Matthew Tyler who knows this case so well can correct me if I am wrong about that.

Gosh, I was just listening to a podcast with Jason's mom being interviewed that I hadn't heard before. It dates from 2016 and I will post a link if I'm given the go-ahead by moderators as I've been in the doghouse lately lol. Anyways, it was interesting hearing words from his mom and also so distressing. This case kind of disappears from my mind for awhile, then when someone posts anew here, it brings it forward again, so frustrating and bewildering! But most of all sad.

I think the neighbour or his brother also saw Jason leaving his home and walking away. Matthew Tyler who knows this case so well can correct me if I am wrong about that.

Yes, that's correct. The neighbor that lived across the street & possibly his brother saw him walking away from the house. No car pulled up to the front of the house & no one that we know of saw him get into a car.

Last edited:
Gosh, I was just listening to a podcast with Jason's mom being interviewed that I hadn't heard before. It dates from 2016 and I will post a link if I'm given the go-ahead by moderators as I've been in the doghouse lately lol. Anyways, it was interesting hearing words from his mom and also so distressing. This case kind of disappears from my mind for awhile, then when someone posts anew here, it brings it forward again, so frustrating and bewildering! But most of all sad.
I remember listening to a podcast with Kelly talking about the case/Jason as well. It is very sad. I remember reading some of her posts on here from way back. I remember one particular post where she talked about JJ's birth and him being in the ICU for the first few weeks of his life, and how she was separated from him. More recently (the 21 year anniversary of his disappearance), she said something along the lines of Jason now having been gone longer than she's had him/been with him (ie. 19 when he went missing).

How sad is that?

He wasn't totally off work that day, he was scheduled to work and was called in early because they were busy.

Actually, it would make more sense to me if he had disappeared on one of his long evening walks than on this short walk to the high school mid-morning!
Exactly, which is why I suspect that it's no coincidence that Jason vanished that morning.

On a side note, it's good to see everyone keeping this case alive despite the lack of developments.

This is pretty much the theory I subscribe too as well. Jason might have had something else planned, and work called and basically changed everything up on him. God knows who this person could be, someone from the internet or maybe just someone from church, but someone who Jason agreed to meet that day. Like you said, without a ride, maybe they were going to pick Jason up on his block or even a block over (if it was a secret meetup, he wouldn't want to be picked up in front of his home) or maybe it was someone on the way where he was going to stop. But then work calls and now he has to cancel but has no way to get in contact with this person. We don't know what time Fazoli's called him, but considering that they open at 10:30 (assuming it was the same back then) and at least two workers were already there, it couldn't have been much earlier than 9:30/10. This would give Jason enough time to shower and change, but maybe not enough time to get in contact with this person if they could only communicate at certain times. As for why Jason didn't just turn down Fazoli's- well his family was having financial troubles so maybe he didn't want to pass on any chance for extra money. So then Jason starts his walk, and somehow through pickup or house visit, comes across the person he was supposed to be meeting and then ??????

He wasn't totally off work that day, he was scheduled to work and was called in early because they were busy.

That explains why he originally planned to walk. I always wondered why he planned such a long walk if he was needed at work ASAP.

Maybe just maybe she's responsible for his disappearance, I know she's been interviewed and all but we still shouldn't dismiss of the idea that she's completely innocent to be honest.

Maybe just maybe she's responsible for his disappearance, I know she's been interviewed and all but we still shouldn't dismiss of the idea that she's completely innocent to be honest.
In my opinion the accusations without any shred of evidence of people around a victim is why those people probably never come to places like this.

I think there were even suspicions directed at the neighbor who now posts regularly in this thread a long time back (before they joined and started posting).

I understand the desire to solve cases. But considering every person who knew the victim as a suspect without any cause does not help a case.

The employees at Fazoli's were interviewed multiple times by investigators,and then eventually cleared, per Jason's mother. She sounded confident his coworkers had nothing to do with his disappearance. Not saying none of those folks interviewed couldn't have fooled law enforcement, but from what I recall, the coworker who picked him up was seen on cameras at the school, waiting for him. Jason doesn't appear on either the HS or middle school cameras, so he never made it that far. Whatever happened to Jason, happened between his house and out of sight of either of those locations' cameras. And I believe there was a very short window between her leaving the HS, arriving back at the pizza parlor, and calling Jason's house again, looking for him, like 15 or so minutes? Hardly enough time to do anything nefarious.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back