Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, everyone.

http://www.theomahachannel.com

Family's Loss Inspires Law To Help Find Missing Persons

Jason Jolkowski Disappeared In June 2001

POSTED: 9:17 am CDT June 13, 2005
UPDATED: 9:38 am CDT June 13, 2005

OMAHA, Neb. -- Families with missing loved one will get more help in Nebraska beginning this fall, thanks to legislation passed in May by the Unicameral.

The state is developing a clearinghouse that will keep track of all the missing-person cases. It will also start a toll free hotline and Web site. The initiative was inspired by a missing Omaha teenager.

Jason Jolkowski disappeared on June 13, 2001. His parents want to help other families avoid the frustrations they encountered, so they helped write "Jason's Law." The idea is to give missing persons a better chance to be found.

The goal of the new law is to get the public informed about the missing person and garner the public's help. The Nebraska State Patrol will head up the efforts.

"We're pleased that Nebraska took action, (to help) future Jasons," said Kelly Jolkowski, Jason's mother.

Jason's Law will go into effect on Sept. 3. It will cost the state about $50,000 a year to maintain the resources.

THANK YOU, KELLY!!

Your family and Jason are always in my thoughts and prayers. Today especially, I will say an extra prayer for you. In hope with you.

Kathy

Kelly said:
Thanks, Kathy.

We need to talk on the phone again sometime...it's been awhile.

Kelly

Yes, we do! Do you still have my number? If not just PM me. I hope you are doing ok, I think of you everyday.

Jannel Rap, singer-songwriter and founder of two nonprofits for the missing, will be featured on KMUD radio today, starting at 5pm PST. Jannel’s sister, Gina Bos, has been missing from Lincoln, NE for over 4 years. Jannel founded Warriors for the Missing this year to unite organizations with the common goal to work together to find our missing loved ones. Other guests on the show will include Abby Potash, Director of Team Hope, and Kelly Jolkowski, President and Founder of Project Jason. You may listen online by going to www.kmud.org

Happy Birthday Jason.

Prayers to his family.

Jason’s Birthday

On the night of my birthday, June 22, 1981, I went to the movies with my husband, Jim, and my mom and dad. The movie we chose to attend was the very first of the new Superman movies, starring Christopher Reeve as the “man of steel”. I was 9 months pregnant with Jason. We were in the midst of watching the movie, when I felt a trickle of liquid that I knew had to be my water starting to break. As it never broke and was just an occasional trickle, I didn’t want to ruin the movie for everyone by insisting on leaving, so we finished watching it, and then went home. (Whenever I see Christopher Reeve in that role, or Superman, I think of Jason.)

My water was not breaking, and the trickle had stopped, so we went about our business at home. I went to bed, but woke up in the middle of the night with what I was sure must be labor pains. I tried to go back to sleep, but I could not. I was confused by the pains, because they were constant, not intermittent, as we were taught in Lamaze class. I tried all sorts of tricks we were taught to either get the pain to subside, or be able to ignore it, but nothing was working.

At about 4am, I woke Jim up and told him that I was in labor, but because there was no break in the pain, I could not be for sure how soon the baby would come, so I thought it best that we went to the hospital.

At the hospital, time dragged on and on. The pain never subsided, nor did my water fully break. The next morning, the doctor broke my water. After that, the labor pains intensified, and I finally started to dilate, but I never progressed past five on the scale. I was becoming rather weary from lack of sleep and the continual pain. I did not understand why I did not have labor pains like everyone else with breaks in the pain. No one else understood either. At some point, they finally gave me a pain reliever, but it was not strong enough. By the afternoon of the 23rd, there was growing concern about the situation, as I now had a fever, and I did not dilate past five. They took an x-ray of my pelvis to see if they could determine the reasons behind what was happening. They did not come to any conclusions from the x-ray results. They also were concerned because of air reaching the baby, since my water was broke, and my fever continued. Sometime late that day, it was decided that I would have a c-section in the early morning, because they could not wait any longer.

I don’t think I slept at all, as I had been in pain for 36 hours with no relief, and I was very concerned about what was happening to me and our baby. In the morning, they asked if I wanted to be awake during the c-section. I was so tired, that I told them to put me to sleep. I was also nervous about the surgery, as I had never had to stay in a hospital or have surgery in my entire life. I figured it was better, for those reasons, to not be awake. (I did choose to be awake for the birth of my second son, Michael, but that was a planned c-section.)

When I woke, I was in recovery. I was told that Jason had been taken to another hospital, because they had a special neo-natal section, and the one I went to did not. They told me they were giving him anti-biotics as a precaution. As I had just gone through a traumatic labor and then surgery, I had a harder recovery. I was not allowed to go and see him, and they did not release him to come back to the hospital I was in. That first night, I remember lying awake, listening to the sounds of the hospital, longing to see my son. A hot tear rolled down my cheek, as I listened to the sounds of other babies and their mothers cooing softly to them in the night.

It was five days before they allowed me to go and see Jason in the other hospital. I slowly made my way to him. He was lying in the incubator with several tubes extending from him for the antibiotics and liquids. His eyes were closed, but I could still see that he was beautiful. They did not allow me to hold him. I could only try to stroke his little body with my hands. I wondered if he could sense that his mother had finally come to see him, and that it was her hands that tried to find a way to let him feel love.

Jason in the Hospital

It would never be fully understood or known why the labor happened as it did. As Jason grew, it was clear something was wrong. It was thought that he has slight brain damage from the labor and the fever. This resulted in his having learning disabilities in the areas of speech and language, plus some fine motor coordination issues.

I wrote this in regards to his learning disabilities. It appears on his featured profile on the National Center for Missing Adults site.

Jason's Story at the CMA

“Jason has learning disabilities in the areas of speech and language. His brain does not process things the way most do. People who didn’t know him would often make fun of him. School bullies would pick on him. Some thought he is mildly mentally retarded, but the truth is, he is of above average intelligence. What was truly amazing to me was that he chose a career that flew right into the face of the very thing that was hardest for him. He decided to be a radio D.J.. Sure, he had some glitches along the way, but people grew to respect him and to love him. Who wouldn’t? I am so proud of him.”

A day later I was released from the hospital, and then a couple of days later, Jason was finally allowed to come home. We were now all together, a family unit whose bond could never be broken regardless of distance or time. Little did we know that this bond would be altered almost 20 years later, as Jason disappeared 11 days before his 20th birthday.

Just as I hoped nearly 24 years ago that my touch could be felt by him, and that he knew I was his mother, I now reach out to him and hope that he knows how much I love him. Somehow, I think he does.

Thank you all for the birthday wishes for Jason.

Kelly

WOW
What a story Kelly!
It almost seems as if Jason was trying to toughen you up...
I think his plan worked. :)

Happy Birthday jason

May you feel your mother's love where ever you may be.

Dear Kelly,

As a mother I know how one relives the birth of her child, especially on their birthday. I also have experienced the fears and sense of protection that a mother feels as she sees her child with tubes lying in the clinical environment of a pediatric hospital.

I haven't the words to express my concern for Jason, for you, your husband and your youngest son, but please know that all of you are in my prayers.

......and to Jason, wherever you are, I send special Birthday Wishes and Prayers today.

Bring Maura Home

www.mauramurray.com

www.spbowers.com\mauramissing.html

God works in mysterious ways, that is for sure. The constant pain may have been an omen of some sort that we would not understand for years.

Thank you for thinking of Jason.

Kelly

Dear Kelly,

I just wish to tell you that is the most touching story I have
read in the longest time.

God grant you comfort & courage, peace & blessing, hope
& strength...for now and always.
The eternal God is thy refuge...
Underneath are the Everlasting Arms...

Praying for you,

with much love,

Ariel :blowkiss:

That's lovely, Ariel.

The eternal God is thy refuge...
Underneath are the Everlasting Arms...

What a comfort.

God bless,
Kelly

For anyone in our local area:

Bowling Fun Raiser

Project Jason will host its second annual Bowling Fun Raiser on Sunday, August 7th, 1pm, at Plaza Lanes in Fremont, NE. This is a quick 20 minute drive from Omaha. Plaza Lanes is the second bowling alley on HWY 30.

The cost is $10 per bowler, which will allow you to bowl up to 3 games. Space is limited, so you must sign up ahead of time to reserve your place. Bring your family and friends, and fill up a lane. (up to 6 bowlers) There will be at least 1-2 lanes of bumper bowling for participating children.

Prizes will be given away throughout the event. Proceeds go to Project Jason, which is a 501 C 3 nonprofit organization. Please see www.projectjason.org to learn how we give the gifts of hope and awareness to families of missing persons, and how we educate the public in regards to these issues.

To reserve your place at the Project Jason Bowling Fun Raiser, please email us at bowling@projectjason.org , or call 402-932-0095. We look forward to seeing you there, and thank you for your support!

News Link

Project Jason Gives Help, Hope to Missing Persons' Families

By Dawn Rizzoni

CNSNews.com Correspondent
July 11, 2005

(CNSNews.com) - Some missing persons cases, such as those involving Shasta and Dylan Groene and "runaway bride" Jennifer Wilbanks, have received extensive media coverage. But the disappearances of thousands of other people get little attention, and their loved ones receive little help and hope.

"Awareness of a missing person is often key to resolution of these cases," Kelly Jolkowski, founder and president of Project Jason, a non-profit organization focusing on the vast majority of missing persons cases that get little or no attention.

"The more often a missing loved one's face is seen, the greater the odds of location and reunion," Jolkowski said.

According to FBI statistics, 47,589 people have been listed as missing since May 1, although Jolkowski said such statistics are unreliable due to a large number of unreported incidents.

Since its inception in October of 2003, Project Jason has developed several methods to aid in finding missing persons, including "Adopt a Missing Person" and "18-Wheel Angels."

In the Adopt a Missing Person program, individuals of all ages send away for free literature, buttons, fliers and posters related to a particular missing person.

Participants then hand out the posters and fliers, wear buttons with photos of their adopted person and distribute information about the disappearance. To date, 1,156 "adoptions" of missing people have been made.

Another program is 18-Wheel Angels, in which truck drivers volunteer their time and resources to help locate a missing loved one. The drivers print out a featured poster from Project Jason's website (which changes posters every other month) and post them along their routes.

Dozens of families have benefited from Jolkowski's efforts, including the family of 24-year old Tamika Huston, who vanished from Spartanburg, S.C., a year ago.

"I spent many frustrated days and nights trying to contact national media regarding Tamika's disappearance," said her aunt, Rebkah Howard. "I felt as though it was imperative that her story be known as far and wide as possible in order to increase the chances of her coming home safely to us."

Howard contacted Project Jason for help. Jolkowski "listened and helped when so many others were simply not interested," Howard said. "She provided guidance and support and made extraordinary efforts to post Tamika's photo and information on various websites that feature the missing."

Tamika was also included in the Adopt a Missing Person program. "My sister, Tamika's mother, was particularly touched by the kindness of the strangers who would 'adopt' her daughter and keep her story alive by doing something as simple as wearing a pin bearing her photo," Howard said.

She added that Project Jason fills the gap that is left by lack of attention by national media. "There are thousands of missing persons in this country," Howard said. "The majority of them do not have the benefit of round-the-clock coverage on the various networks.

"Project Jason is there to serve all of these individuals and their families who are so desperate to find them. I find this to be amazing work for the mother of a young man who still remains missing to this day," she added.

Jolkowski's son Jason went missing at 19 years of age on June 13, 2001, from the family's driveway in Omaha, Neb., but Jason's story has attracted none of the national media attention that has been focused on other cases.

Jolkowski and Nebraska State Sen. Pat Bourne, were instrumental in getting Jason's Law passed -- a bill to create a statewide clearinghouse of information on missing persons and provide training and education to law enforcement officials.

To date, no individuals have been found through the project, but Jolkowski said she doesn't measure success by the number of people located. Instead, she said it is based on "how it makes the families of our missing loved ones feel when they know that others are now helping them.

"Many times in these cases, after law enforcement has sifted through the clues, and there are no more leads to follow, what is left is awareness and hope," she said. "Those are the sustaining gifts we provide to the families we service."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mel M