NE NE - Jason Jolkowski, 19, Omaha, 13 June 2001 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kelly,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and the families of missing persons. You are truly an inspiration.

Thanks, Perry.

Published Tuesday
May 23, 2006

A community grieves

Omaha World Herald Editoral

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=608&u_sid=2175790&u_rnd=9688002

Amber Harris, Tracy Tribble and Jessica O'Grady are reminders of the many who go missing locally.

The Omaha metropolitan area collectively mourns the loss of Amber Harris. And Tracy Tribble. And holds on to hope that Jessica O'Grady will be found alive and well.

Recent weeks and months have been filled with unease, hope and despair. The remains of 12-year-old Amber were found in Hummel Park May 11 after a six-month search. Tracy's body was discovered in the Missouri River Friday after an extensive search since her May 3 disappearance. And efforts continue to locate Jessica, a UNO student who was last seen May 10.

Additionally, the remains of an unidentified woman were found in a barrel May 6 in Council Bluffs.

It is hard to understand the type of person, the type of evil, that treats life with such disdain and callousness. Especially a life only 12 years along.

The Rev. Thomas L. Smith, pastor of Paradise Baptist Church, expressed what many in the community are feeling about the death of Amber.

"Our hearts bleed for this family," he said.

After all, Amber could represent anyone's child; Tracy, anyone's daughter, sister or wife; Jessica, likewise.

Unsettling is the fact that, despite the unusual timing with the Harris, Tribble and O'Grady cases, missing people are not uncommon. Nebraska currently has 329 people listed as missing, 129 of them reported to the Omaha Police Department.

Over the years, cases have popped up that provide faces to the many people who seem to vanish without a trace. In 1992, Omaha North High School student Kenyatta Bush was abducted and killed. Heather Guerrero, a 15-year-old newspaper carrier from Gering, was abducted, raped and killed in 2003.

Five years ago next month, 19-year-old Jason Jolkowski went missing in his Benson neighborhood. His case remains unresolved.

While both circumstances are rare - a missing person's case resulting in death and a case going unanswered for so long - both inflict a terrible cruelty on families.

In the case of death especially, questions arise about whether enough was done in order to find the missing person. Would an Amber Alert, if activated, have led to the safe return of Amber Harris?

Currently, there must be signs of an abduction and an idea of who might be involved in the abduction. Are such limitations appropriate? What is the best way to balance the practical demands of issuing an Amber Alert (named for another abducted child) with the safety of a child?

The Harrises have recommended Amber Alerts for all youths without histories of running away. The family of Heather Guerrero made a similar request after the death of their daughter in Gering. This is a topic that Nebraska policy-makers would be wise to discuss yet again.

Meanwhile, Midlanders have been doing their part over recent months and weeks. When tragedy strikes, so does a sense of helplessness. But coming together to support the families involved, praying, remembering the victims and helping search for those still out there are all actions that can make a difference.

It is comforting to know that the senseless acts of a troubled few and the ensuing powerlessness inflicted on a community are answered by the enduring qualities of the human spirit.

Press Release from the Omaha branch of the United States Postal Service:

"OMAHA POST OFFICE RAISES AWARENESS OF AMBER ALERT WITH POSTAGE STAMP AND FINGERPRINTING EVENT

EVENT: The Omaha Post Office teams up with Project Jason to raise awareness of the AMBER Alert, 2006 social awareness stamp.

WHO: Omaha Post Office and board members/volunteers for Project Jason

WHAT: Volunteers will offer free fingerprinting to children and adults in the lobby of the Omaha Main Post Office lobby.

WHEN: Thursday, May 25, 2006 from 1:00 pm through 6:00 pm

WHERE: Omaha Main Office located at 1124 Pacific Street, Omaha NE 68108

BACKGROUND: With this new stamp, the U.S. Postal Service continues its tradition of drawing attention to important social causes. AMBER stands for America’s Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response. Following the tragic death of Amber Hagerman, this program was created to broadcast emergency messages that a child has been abducted and is in imminent danger as determined by a law enforcement agency. This program has successfully helped in the recovery of more than 265 children. The stamp which will be dedicated in Arlington, TX and Washington, DC, May 25, and will be available for sale at all Omaha stations and branches.

Kelly Jolkowski, Founder and President of Project Jason, will be on hand at the Omaha Post Office to assist in the finger printing process. She believes that every person should have a completed Personal ID Kit , provided free though Project Jason. The information provided is invaluable to law enforcement, should a family member go missing.

The Project Jason Mission Statement:

“Our mission as a non profit organization is to create and increase public awareness of missing people through a variety of educational activities. Project Jason seeks to bring hope and assistance to families of the missing by providing resources and support.”

CONTACT: Roger Humphries, Customer Relations Coordinator @ 402-*advertiser censored*-xxxx
Kelly Jolkowski, President of Project Jason @ 402-*advertiser censored*-xxxx"
# # #

Great job Kelly and all involved...thank you for helping us be aware and providing ID kits for our children!

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/2874601.html

Missing Children's Day

Spreading the message

Ironically, the memorial service for Amber Harris was held on National Missing Children's Day, a day to draw attention to the issue of missing and abducted children.

A new Amber Alert postage stamp was unveiled in Omaha. The message: Amber Alert Saves Missing Children is prominently displayed.

Part of Thursday's program included fingerprinting of children and other precautions parents can take to protect their kids.

Kelly Jolkowski, with Project Jason says, "They have all that critical data that they can immediately hand to law enforcement to start that search and also a photo which is very, very important."

Kelly's son Jason is among the missing. On June 13th, 2001, Jason was planning to walk a few blocks and catch a ride to work with a friend. He hasn’t been heard from since.

Prayers for Kelly and the family...

Prayers for all who have missing loved ones.....

Websleuths member Valerie has been kind enough to offer to have an online fundraiser for Project Jason. This offer is available through June 16th.

Here is what Valerie has to say about the fundraiser:

"I'd like to tell everyone about the exciting Pampered Chef fundraiser that is going on for Project Jason! Project Jason is a nonprofit organization that was started by Kelly Jolkowski. Kelly's son, Jason, disappeared without a trace from their driveway in 2001. Knowing that other parents in the same situation were feeling the same pain and having the same problems finding answers, she began Project Jason. Project Jason assists families of those that are missing, works to pass legislation that will give the missing and their families the rights they deserve, and helps to get the faces of the missing out in the public's eye.

Because Project Jason is a non-profit organization, they depend on donations to keep these services available to these hurting families. Our Pampered Chef fundraiser is just the way to get those donations that Project Jason needs! When you go to the special Pampered Chef website and order from the Project Jason link, the donation will go directly to Project Jason! Pampered Chef gives 10% of sales up to $599 in guest sales. Once guest sales reach $600 or more, the percentage raises to 15%. PLUS, I am giving ALL of my COMMISSION to this fundraiser, as well! This is an organization that I believe in, and that I know is helping the families that are desperately in need of help to find their loved ones.

Please drop an email to PamperedValY@yahoo.com for any questions you might have. The link for the fundraiser is http://www.pamperedchef.biz/pamperedvaly?page=news-detail&featureId=576296

Pampered Chef is known for their high-quality, yet affordable, kitchen products, including the stoneware that everyone raves about! Every product comes with a warranty of at least 1 year, and many items have a LIFETIME warranty!! You can't beat that! With every order of $60 or more, you will receive FREE the Pampered Chef Ice Cream Sandwich Maker! And, Pampered Chef will give an additional donation of $3.00 to Project Jason for each person that will book an online/catalog show. (You get the free Pampered Chef products, Project Jason gets the additional donation! Everyone wins!) PLUS, I am giving away FREE Pampered Chef prizes, cookbooks, and gift certificates to supporters of Project Jason! Just email me for the details!

Together we can help Project Jason to help others!"

Thank you, Valerie, for your most generous offer.

Many blessings,
Kelly

Kelly, I have always thought of Jason and how hard it must be for you.
This kind of "lost without a trace" has got to be the ultimate grief.
As of March 8th......our family is looking for Laura Mackenzie. The help
from other missing parents has been wonderful. Brianna Maitlands father,also from the New England area has been a big help. We are hoping to find
Laura......it is such a big world to search. But, people are wonderful......
and hope and faith help too. I hope your Jason comes home soon.

For readers in the Omaha area:

The Project Jason Board of Directors invites interested persons to attend the Project Jason Recognition Dinner to be held on Sunday, June 11th, at 6:30pm in downtown Omaha. The dinner will take place at a new and popular Cajun-style restaraurant in a historic building.

At the dinner, persons in the community will be honored for their contributions to Project Jason. In addition to the awards, the Board of Directors will present to attendees the history of the organization, current programs, community and national impact, goals, plus volunteer and other needs.

Seating is limited, so reservations are required in advance. Please call 402-932-0095 or email dinner@projectjason.org to reserve your place. The dinner costs $15 per person.

Project Jason is a 501 c 3 nonprofit organization. The Mission Statement is:

“Our mission as a non profit organization is to create and increase public awareness of missing people through a variety of outreach and educational activities. Project Jason seeks to bring hope and assistance to families of the missing by providing resources and support.”

Here are just two of many comments made by families of the missing about the work we are doing. We need your help and support in order to continue and improve our services.

Thank you.

Kelly Jolkowski, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
http://www.projectjason.org
Read our Voice for the Missing Blog
http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/

“Project Jason assisted me with the case of my missing daughter, Katlyn, by distributing posters, leading me to other organizations that also help in finding missing loved ones. They also set up a group distribution where they alerted all of the TV stations in Omaha, NE. All of the TV stations came and filmed everyone hanging posters and interviewed me as a worried mother along with other family members and some of my daughter’s friends.

Last but not least, Project Jason has a very strong support system and Kelly never, ever lets you lose hope. She is an angel from above!! My daughter Katlyn has since returned home on August 30th, safe and sound. I would have never made it through an experience like this without the help of Project Jason. I can never re-pay Project Jason for all they did for me and my family not to mention Katlyn herself.”

Shelly Mlnarik, Mother of Katlyn

“Project Jason assisted me with the case of my missing son, Marc. I had filed a police report and they told me to sit back and wait. I couldn't wait. Fortunately, I have an online friend who told me about Project Jason.

Project Jason told me all the other things I could do like contacting the Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Project Jason gave me several resources for help in finding my son AND they listened to me when I felt like everybody else I spoke to thought I was crazy for worrying since "he is 17".

They designed a "Missing" poster for me that I had copies made of and these resulted in us finding our son. I can't fully describe the impact that Project Jason had on us, but they changed our lives forever. We have our child home and there is no greater gift that can be given.”

Cecelia Medbery, mother of former missing child Marc Medbery, Bellevue, Nebraska

Kelly, when you have a spare second, would you kindly provide a URL to the exact poster of Jason which in your judgment is the 'BEST' one?

NO rush.

I'll check back in this thread to find the URL you adjudge the best missing poster.

I'd like to post a few in my neighborhood.

I do NOT believe that I have actually seen your son; however, I'd also like to show the posters to a few shop proprietors in my neighborhood, to see if they agree with me that Jason looks familiar. There are SO many "twins" around for each & every one of us, so I expect that's ALL it is.

TIA

Sundayrain said:
Kelly, I have always thought of Jason and how hard it must be for you.
This kind of "lost without a trace" has got to be the ultimate grief.
As of March 8th......our family is looking for Laura Mackenzie. The help
from other missing parents has been wonderful. Brianna Maitlands father,also from the New England area has been a big help. We are hoping to find
Laura......it is such a big world to search. But, people are wonderful......
and hope and faith help too. I hope your Jason comes home soon.

I'm so sorry about Laura. She's a lovely girl. Please do have the family contact me. I'm sure Bruce has been very helpful. I'm glad he's there for the family.

wondering22 said:
Kelly, when you have a spare second, would you kindly provide a URL to the exact poster of Jason which in your judgment is the 'BEST' one?

NO rush.

I'll check back in this thread to find the URL you adjudge the best missing poster.

I'd like to post a few in my neighborhood.

I do NOT believe that I have actually seen your son; however, I'd also like to show the posters to a few shop proprietors in my neighborhood, to see if they agree with me that Jason looks familiar. There are SO many "twins" around for each & every one of us, so I expect that's ALL it is.

TIA

Thank you...how kind of you.

Here is a link to a good poster: Jason's Poster

NCMEC has one, too, but I always dislike posters that don't give persons another place to go on the web if they were interested in the case.

Many blessings,
Kelly

Kelly said:
Thank you...how kind of you.

Here is a link to a good poster: Jason's Poster

NCMEC has one, too, but I always dislike posters that don't give persons another place to go on the web if they were interested in the case.

Many blessings,
Kelly

Thanks, Kelly. We picked up a small photograph album, and along with the missing posters of a few individuals, I'm also going to get "photo quality" prints of a few, including Jason, to put in the samll album, which I can carry around with me --- you never know when and with whom you can ask, "Say, do you have ANY idea why this person looks familiar to me?"

Fact is, that I've found at about half a dozen images at www.doenetwork.org that have the ability to drive me nuts with the currently unanswerable, "WHERE have I seen you before?" question, and several other photographs that make me ask, "WHY do you look so familiar?"

You just never know which friends or neighbors or shop clerks or store managers that the situation may arise where you can ask them if the person looks familiar to them too.

So I'm really glad to have access to the poster you feel is BEST, thanks again.

Thank you to Jeana and Wondering22.

The Jolkowski family is pleased to announce that the Nebraska State Patrol has added a statement about the history of LB111, Jason's Law, to the State Missing Person's Clearinghouse website. We asked for this change to honor our missing son, Jason. He will be missing for 5 years as of June 13th, 2006.

Jason's Law mandated the creation of this website, the public database of missing persons, communications of same, and other benefits. It is primarily an awareness vehicle for missing persons of all ages, and mandates the communication of information about these persons.

I am also pleased that the State Patrol has invited me to come to their headquarters in Lincoln on June 28th to discuss improvements to the processes that Jason's Law mandated. A public announcement about these changes will come at a later date.

I have already prepared a list of changes, and will be glad to take along your feedback, however, all changes must fall within the law as stated. http://www.unicam.state.ne.us/pdf/FINAL_LB111_1.pdf

The Nebraska State Missing Person's Clearinghouse can be viewed here:
http://www.nsp.state.ne.us/missingpersons/index.cfm

Thank you for your support.

Kelly Jolkowski, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
http://www.projectjason.org
Read our Voice for the Missing Blog
http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/

PS: We need your support monetarily, too. Small nonprofits, such as ours, receive few public dollars. We have much we want and need to accomplish, but cannot without your help.

Kelly, that is so amazing!!! You persevered and it was worth it. I am so proud of you and the efforts you have made on the part of the missing. Congratulations!!! I wish we could all contribute as much! :woohoo:

Thinking of you Jason. Kelly, you are such a strong woman. Much love to you and your family.

http://www.reformer.com/Letters

Letter to the editor:

"Phony psychics should be exposed

Editor of the Reformer:

Nearly three years ago, the Reformer ran two front-page stories about self-proclaimed "psychic investigator" Carla Baron and her involvement with the case of two missing local women, Tina and Bethany Sinclair. Both stories were very positive and uncritical toward Ms. Baron; the only skeptical comment in either piece was a short quote from a local law officer, who said in effect that his department doesn't place much credibility in psychics.

I'm now curious as to whether the Reformer might consider publishing a followup article, updating the public about what help, if any, Ms. Baron's "evidence" has provided in solving the Sinclair case. I realize that an article along the lines of "Psychic fails again" may possess the dog-bites-man quality that newspapers usually try to avoid. But it might serve to provide a more balanced and realistic picture. And it would give you another opportunity to mention Ms. Baron's long history of exaggerated claims and self-serving statements, as documented here: www.iigwest.com/carla_report.html.

You could also note that despite what TV shows such as Medium might like you to believe, no crime in history has ever been solved by evidence provided through psychic means.

You could also mention the experience of Kelly Jolkowski, whose son Jason went missing in 2001 (see www.projectjason.org/). Since that time, Ms. Jolkowski has been contacted by a number of self-described psychics offering their services, often in exchange for money. Through her work on behalf of families of missing people, Ms. Jolkowski learned that many other parents had also received unsolicited offers from psychics.

She discovered that psychics are often very aggressive when contacting the family of the missing. For instance, if their offer is initially declined, they sometimes accuse parents of not loving their child enough to do everything possible to get them back. The "evidence" these psychics provide is contradictory, terrifying, depressing and ultimately, totally useless.

They sometimes accuse innocent people of being responsible. They waste valuable law enforcement time and effort tracking down bogus leads. And none has ever provided a single clue that helped locate a missing person. In an effort to prevent others from being similarly preyed upon, Ms. Jolkowski created a Web site (http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/2006/03/30606-pmp-introduction-to-psychics-and.html) to help warn the friends and family of missing people about these "psychic predators."

A followup article might help others from falling victim to Ms. Baron and her ilk, who shamelessly take advantage of families with missing loved ones, at a time when they are most vulnerable and desperate to try anything, however implausible. And it might determine whether the Reformer is truly interested in serving as a responsible source of information, or whether it prefers to pander to trendy and popular delusions.

Dick McCarrick

Athens, June 2"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members