Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be speaking at the following national conference:

Uniting in the Search for Missing Children and Adults

http://www.fvtc.edu/public/content.aspx?ID=1238&PID=3

Providing a Voice for Those Who Have Vanished

February 21-23, 2007
Appleton, Wisconsin

This national conference is designed to promote public awareness and to provide law enforcement and community professionals with tools to best serve the families of missing children and adults. Learn about national, state and regional resources. Obtain information on evolving technology and investigative practices to assist in local and international searches for the missing. Find out how the Internet and other information systems can be effective investigative tools. These and many other topics will be explored during this 2½ day event.

I will be sharing Jason's story with the hundreds of attendees to aid in the understanding of what the family of a missing person goes through.

Please pray for all involved to open their minds and hearts to the needs of the families of the missing.

Thank you.

Kelly Jolkowski, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
http://www.projectjason.org
Read our Voice for the Missing Blog
http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/

Kelly said:
Please pray for all involved to open their minds and hearts to the needs of the families of the missing.
You got it, Kelly. And good luck!

Kelly said:
I will be 'lifting you up' in prayer during your conference! Thank you for all you do for the missing!

Thanks for the prayers! Everything went very well.

Hello,

As you all know, my son, Jason, has now been missing without a trace for 5 years and 8 months. There are no leads to follow up on, and we, at this time, depend on the general public to provide new leads to help us find our son. For those of you who have a missing loved one, you already know the struggle to find ways to get the word out, especially as time passes. You know that you must be creative in order to get the media to react and to be able to reach your target audience.

The purpose of my letter is to inform you of a new campaign which has the goal of creating awareness for Jason, targeting every radio station in the country. I am looking to amass a team of volunteers to email each radio station Jason’s story (already prepared for you) and link to more information, photos, and a poster. If you are familiar with his story, you know that Jason was once a D.J. for a local community college. It was something he enjoyed and he became very popular in the local area. He had some financial setbacks, and had to leave school and the D.J. internship. We, his immediate family, feel that if he is still alive, it’s very possible that he is working for a radio station, thus, our campaign, Radio Waves for Jason. (We will make “waves” in the radio industry looking for him.)

If you are either a family member with a missing loved one, or one of our peers in the missing person cause, this email is merely to inform you of our campaign. You often ask about Jason, so we’re letting you know what we’re doing. We wouldn’t ask you to become involved as we understand you are very busy with your work or seeking your own missing loved one. This campaign might even give you an idea for one of your own, which is another good reason to share it with you.

If you are a friend, family member, or a friend of Project Jason, and feel you would have the time and commitment to help, we would be happy to have you assist. As mentioned earlier, you would be given a prepared statement with links to email radio stations in a set area. I estimate that it will take 3-5 minutes to email each radio station. Even if you can only email a few locations, each effort will help us reach our goal.

If you are interested in volunteering to help, please send an email to us at radiowavesforjason(at sign)projectjason.org You will then be sent an email with more details about the campaign and the prepared letter for the radio stations.

*This campaign is suited for persons who are already comfortable navigating the internet and using copy and paste functions.

Thank you for all you do for our family, Jason, and Project Jason, whether it’s a simple prayer or more, all efforts are greatly appreciated.

With hope for all of our missing loved ones,

Kelly Jolkowski, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
http://www.projectjason.org
Read our Voice for the Missing Blog
http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/

Kelly said:
Here is a link to a new YouTube video about Jason:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwBLq-gXR30

Thank you.

Kelly Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
www.projectjason.org
Awesome! Thanks for the link.

I sent Jason's labels out again this week on all of our mailings.

I ran into some of the church workers (recently my company purchased a large building and one of our tenants is a church) and they saw the labels I was carrying (I had Jason's, Georgia DeJesus, Brianna Maitland, and Audrey Herron) and they grabbed them from me and just started praying over them, touching them, it was kinda neat.... :D May good be with those labels on their journey...some where some one knows some thing!

How neat, Christine! Prayers are very important in this.

A press release from our friends in Native American radio:

"NAMAPAHH First People's Radio
Home website: NAMAPAHH First People's Radio
Host/Producer Robin Carneen
(stay tuned from 8:30-10pm Thurs: Massive Mix Session/DJ Defkawn)
Thurs 7-8:30pm Sun 4-5pm PST

Ways to hear our show online: KSVR 91.7 FM in Mt Vernon
Or via MYSPACE! www.myspace.com/namapahh
Main MYSPACE page: www.myspace.com/nativeradio4all
Pictures: Swinomish1's lill' nest
Studio line: (360)416-7000

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Coming up on NAMAPAHH:
3-4-07: NEW MUSIC will be featured & announcements on Sunday’s show
4-5pm PST (lots from CANADA!) Call studio line to make announcements!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

3-8-07:

Thursday is going to be a very significant show...not necessarily a specific Native American topic or focus, but one that should be very important to us all, no matter what our origins!...We will be talking about Missing People & Missing Children's programs & honoring the women & their families who have either lost a child and/or some who have grown children who are now adults & missing...find out about these organizations & campaigns & how you can get involved & what prevention kits & tools are available out there to hopefully prevent other children & adults from disappearing...its heart wrenching!

Kelly Jolkowski, whose son Jason has been missing since June 13, 2001 will be my first guest. I am especially interested in her special focus campaign for her son, because at one point he was a college radio DJ (student at IWCC and a disc jockey at 89.7 The River), which makes this hit home for me, for obvious reasons: she will talk about her campaign: Radio Waves for Jason.

Related Websites:

www.missingjason.com
Project Jason - Assistance for families of the missing

Kelly Jolkowski
Kelly.jolkowski(at sign)projectjason.org

Help Find Jason Jolkowski-Podcast-The day he went missing
YouTube - Help Find Jason Jolkowski-Podcast-The day he went missing

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
My new friend Tara Weber, who is also a volunteer for the Campaign: Radio Waves for Jason, will be my guest as well, talking about Gina's case and this one too: Amanda: index & we may even have Nancy Ruiz on as well, who asks you help find her daughter is Gina DeJesus: Find Georgina DeJesus
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PLEASE cc me at: tetawin38@hotmail.com
NAMAPAHH First People's Radio
Home of NAMAPAHH First People's Radio
Thurs 7-8pm Sun 4-5pm PST
New group: (my photo album location)
Swinomish1's lill' nest
www.myspace.com/nativeradio4all
Want to hear NAMAPAHH???
http://www.myspace.com/namapahh"

Reminder press release:

PROTECTORS OF LIFE: THEIR INITIATVES TO FIND THE MISSING

March 8th is International Women's Day & we will be speaking to women who are involved with Campaign for the Missing & Radio Waves for Jason, initiatives to find missing children & adults.

Tune In: NAMAPAHH: March 8th 2007 on KSVR 91.7 FM
7-8:30pm PST

Hear our show online: www.ksvr.org
MYSPACE! http://www.myspace.com/namapahh
http://www.myspace.com/nativeradio4all
http://spaces.msn.com/members/NativeRadio4all/
Studio line: (360)416-7000

NAMAPAHH First People's Radio
Home website: http://mysite.verizon.net/res7dwhg/
(stay tuned from 8:30-10pm Thurs: Massive Mix Session/DJ Defkawn)
Thurs 7-8:30pm Sun 4-5pm PST
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Our Guests:

Kelly Jolkowski, mother of missing son, Jason.
Campaign for the Missing & Radio Waves for Jason, www.projectjason.com
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Tara Weber Pretends Eagle, Hunkpapa Lakota, Standing Rock Rez
Advocate for Amanda Berry www.amandaberry.net &
Gina Dejesus
Campaign for the Missing-Author of the Bill for AMINA's Law in OH
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Nancy Ruiz, Mother of missing teen Gina DeJesus, www.findgeorgina.com
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.stjoenews-press.com/main.asp?SectionID=81&SubSectionID=272&ArticleID=90677&TM=22524.46

3/11/2007 1:51:00 AM
Families of missing cope by sharing emotion

Ray Scherer
Regional Reporter

Families of missing people quite often don't have the means to express frustration over a situation grounded in the unknown.

That's when people like Kelly Jolkowski step forward. The Omaha, Neb., woman's 19-year-old son Jason disappeared from home in 2001. The sense of not knowing what happened to Jason and faith in God led her to create a nonprofit organization to assist families like hers with their own searches of loved ones.

"We had no idea what to do," Mrs. Jolkowski said. "You're frightened at what's going on. Nobody hands you a manual."

Project Jason eventually promoted a new Nebraska law that created a clearinghouse of missing-person information. Mrs. Jolkowski drew inspiration from an Iowa law written to help locate missing people. An effort is under way to pass a law in Missouri that would establish law enforcement's procedures for handling missing-persons and remains cases and using DNA to solve both types of cases.

More than just working through lawmakers, however, the organization acts to support families undergoing a host of emotions.

"Many families are isolated," she said. "No one really knows how you're feeling. We're there to help them understand."

Becky Klino, of Skidmore, Mo., whose son Branson Perry also disappeared in 2001, has relied on Mrs. Jolkowski and the organization's services to help her cope and spread calls for assistance. Several Internet Web sites, blogs and posters tacked on truck stop walls represent part of her effort to draw attention to Mr. Perry. Most of the Web sites contain an age-progression photo of how Mr. Perry might appear today in his mid-20s.

"Sometimes it's just important that I know you remember my son," Ms. Klino said.

She talks with other families in the blogs to consider their next sensible steps. The conversations revolve around reactions to special occasions such as holidays. Mr. Perry's recent birthday was a particularly difficult time for her to endure.

"It's OK to be mad. It's OK to survive," she said of lessons gathered in the forums.

She also receives encouragement and support from family and co-workers.

Anna Rea - mother of 18-year-old Crystal Kipper, who went missing in 1997 - offers to speak with families of missing persons and those of crime victims. She conveys the message through police and sheriff's departments, which she knows try to remain diligent in pursuing leads and evidence. She helped the Platte County Sheriff's Department by supplying information about her daughter's personal items, such as the type of shoes she wore when she was last seen.

"Every now and then it does help," she said of the talks. "It can be very frustrating. I let them know what they (law enforcement) are trying to do is preserve evidence. I just try to tell them to be patient. You can be active and (still) be involved."

Families linked by the circumstance of a missing loved one have attended a conference on a sponsorship by Project Jason, Mrs. Jolkowski said. The organization also held a gathering of families from the Kansas City and Omaha areas.

Family members can disagree on the best course of action to follow when a loved one goes missing.

"You can't tell someone to get over it," she said. "You do learn to adapt."

There are only two trained counselors in the nation who are experienced in missing-persons cases, she added.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TECHNOLOGY LENDS A HAND TO THE THOUSANDS OF FAMILIES SEARCHING FOR MISSING LOVED ONES

Missing People Podcasts Highlight Individual Stories, Helpful Resources and Important Related Legislative Issues

OMAHA, NE—(March 17, 2007) Project Jason, a non-profit organization, announced today that it has created a partnership with the Missing People Podcast (MPP) to develop audio programming for missing people and the families who are urgently searching for them. The podcasts will feature a variety of subjects, including vital information regarding the circumstances surrounding a person’s disappearance and significant legislative efforts throughout the country that may impact the families.

Very few people would think of the number of missing persons in America as a crisis. The statistics, however, are sobering. In the United States alone, there are as many as 105,000 active missing person’s cases. Every year, tens of thousands of people vanish under suspicious circumstances. The number of missing persons can be estimated in the hundreds of thousands if viewed over a 20-year period.1

“I think it is very important to utilize whatever resources are available to help these families,” says Steve Bronnum, President of MPP, “We bring a true voice to the families of the missing and all those who care about them. Technology is helpful in so many ways and my greatest hope is to use it to bring some information to families desperate for news of their loved ones.”

The MPP programs will include a “News and Alerts” section focused on recent developments related to missing people and alerts about recently missing people. The “Portraits of the Missing” section provides profiles of specific missing persons. The “Interviews” segment is a dialogue with family members of the missing and experts in the field and, the “Programs” section will include voice talents telling the stories of the missing.

“This is a critical development in helping families locate their missing loved ones,” says Kelly Jolkowski, mother of Jason Jolkowski and founder of Project Jason, “As with any program that we support, our partnership with MPP is focused on the most important thing in all missing person cases – awareness.”

The MPP audio content is available for download or streaming on the internet with future plans for subscription podcasting and CD production. For more information, visit the website at missingpeoplepodcast.com.

1 Ritter,N. Missing Persons and Unidentified Remains: The Nation’s Silent Mass Disaster, NIJ Journal, NO.256, January 2007

About Project Jason

Project Jason was founded by the family of Jason Jolkowski after his disappearance on June 13, 2001. The nonprofit's mission is to create and increase public awareness of missing people through a variety of outreach and educational activities. Project Jason seeks to bring hope and assistance to families of the missing by providing resources and support. Project Jason is also responsible for presenting Jason’s Law, which passed on May 25, 2005. Jason’s Law allows for the creation of a Nebraska state missing person’s clearinghouse to gather and disseminate information about all missing persons. For more information, please visit Project Jason - Assistance for families of the missing

# # #

Kelly Jolkowski
402-932-0095
Kelly.jolkowski(at sign)projectjason.org

BoilerStation - Purdue University News, Sports, and Information from the Journal and Courier.

Discovery of body could be 'at least an answer'
Closure may come today for Steffey family, friends

03/20/07

Six years ago, 19-year-old Jason Jolkowski disappeared from his Nebraska home.

His younger brother, Michael, was the last to see him -- outside dragging the trash cans up from the curb while waiting for a carpool ride to his part-time job. No clues have surfaced in his case since.

Families and friends of missing persons live in a suspended reality, holding out hope for a positive outcome no matter how long a disappearance may last, explained Melissa Nelson, bereavement coordinator for St. Elizabeth's Hospice program.

But answers may come today to those connected to 19-year-old Wade Steffey, who has been missing from Purdue University since Jan. 13. Officials hope to identify a body found on campus Monday near where Steffey was last seen.

"I've worked with hundreds of families across the country and even when they have a terrible answer, they always say, 'At least we have an answer,' " said Kelly Jolkowski, Jason's mother. "They always say the not knowing is the worst part."

Jolkowski's parents have turned their tragedy into a campaign pushing for legislation in all 50 states to improve the law enforcement community's ability to locate and ensure a safe return of missing persons. That work connected Kelly Jolkowski with Dale Steffey, Wade's father, earlier this year.

"I told Dale that I admired him," Jolkowski said, referring to e-mail contact she's had with the Bloomington family. "He hasn't been in the situation that long, but he's out there publicly speaking. I don't know if that early in I would have been able to do that."

During the first few months of her son's disappearance, Jolkowski said her life felt surreal. She recalls looking inside every car she passed to see who was inside. She kept the phone with her at all times -- just in case -- and broke down in tears when she saw the first story about him on the local news.

"Life is never normal again," she said. "It's really just an indescribable nightmare. Every night you go to bed and you just don't know: Where is he? Is someone hurting him? ... And you don't know what you're grieving for."

Jolkowski was shocked to learn of the body found on campus Monday but said she hopes it brings answers to Steffey's family.

"Once the body is identified, there's still going to be some shock and disbelief. The reality is just so hard to accept," Nelson said. "There may be some relief that the body is found ... but this is not the outcome they'd hoped for."

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/new...,0,5545169.story?coll=hc-headlines-local-wire

Relatives of missing adults work to pass laws across nation

Associated Press

Published March 25 2007

HARTFORD, Conn. -- When Janice Smolinski's 31-year-old son Billy disappeared in 2004, there were no Amber Alerts, no urgent police investigations.

Police made the family wait three days to report the Waterbury man's disappearance because a neighbor believed he had left town voluntarily. They had to organize their own search parties and pressure police to fingerprint Billy's truck, his mother said.

When authorities did take the case, they lost or misplaced the family's DNA samples - including Billy's razor shavings - three times, Smolinski said.

Two-and-a-half years later, Billy Smolinski is nowhere to be found and his mother has joined a national grass-roots effort to lobby for more consistent laws for handling missing adult cases.

The group's Campaign for the Missing is lobbying this year in Connecticut, New Jersey, Florida, Oregon, New York, Missouri, Ohio and Indiana.

"Our system isn't working," said Janice Smolinski. "Unfortunately, when adults go missing, they don't really take it seriously."

Of more than 109,000 active records in the National Crime Information Center's Missing Person File as of Dec. 31, 2005, just under half involve adults.

But the National Center for Missing Adults, which handled more than 23,000 reports and helped nearly 25,000 family members in 2005, announced last year that federal budget cuts had forced it to close its Phoenix offices and attempt to relocate to a less expensive space.

Funding was cut to $148,000 last year for the center, which also helped families during Hurricane Katrina.

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, in comparison, typically receives more than $35 million a year from the federal government.

Police say they don't have the resources to focus attention on every case, and adults are allowed to disappear voluntarily.

"It's a free country and we've got to remember that," said West Hartford Police Chief James Strillacci, legislative chairman for the Connecticut Police Chiefs Association. "We have wanderlust in our blood and people get up and move once in a while."

Contrary to television crime shows, he said, the FBI rarely assists in missing adult cases.

"We cannot do for everybody that they would like us to do," he said. "We can only do what the law and our budgets allow."

The bills proposed by Campaign for the Missing touch on everything from banning cremation of unidentified remains to informing families about the clearinghouses for missing adults and children.

Each would prevent police from refusing to accept missing persons reports in most circumstances. They spell out data police must collect for a missing person, from eye color to blood type. They would also allow police to flag a missing person - such as someone with medical problems - as high risk, triggering more immediate action.

The families of missing adults also want police to enter all collected information, including DNA profiles, into applicable federal databases and provide timely case updates to family members.

They also want more publicity for missing adults.

The Amber Alert program, named for a 9-year-old girl who was kidnapped and killed, allows law enforcement and television and radio broadcasters to activate an urgent bulletin in the most serious child abduction cases.

But for adults, attention focuses largely on the bizarre or unusual, such as runaway bride Jennifer Wilbanks, who fled days before her planned 2005 wedding and made up a story about being kidnapped and sexually assaulted to cover the fact that she got cold feet and went to New Mexico.

When Drew Kesse's 24-year-old daughter, Jennifer, didn't show up for work in Orlando, Fla., on Jan. 24, 2006, a police officer suggested the attractive blonde financial analysts had gotten into a fight with her boyfriend and would return soon. More than a year has passed with no sign of her.

"There is absolutely no evidence. She has truly vanished," he said. "It's heartbreaking."

To drum up attention, the families of the missing have become amateur public relations consultants, creating web sites and organizing public events.

Kesse has flown banners over football games and printed playing cards with Jennifer's picture. Well-wishers have paid for eight billboards and posters in 24 bus shelters.

Kelly Jolkowski, whose Nebraska-based Project Jason created the Campaign for the Missing , has organized charity bike rides and appearances on the Montel Williams Show to generate interest in missing people, including her 19-year-old son Jason, who vanished from the family's Omaha driveway in 2001.

"The only thing you can do is get the story out there," she said. "One of these days you're going to hit the right person."

Though Omaha police did a complete investigation of her son's disappearance, Jolkowski said that's not the norm.

"When you have somebody disappear as an adult rather than a minor, it's an entirely different situation," she said. "There's no federal law that mandates them. Unless the state has passed this legislation, they are not mandated to do anything. They don't even have to take the case, period."

Jolkowski said families have told her of local police not aware of the federal DNA database. She has learned of unidentified bodies cremated or buried in unmarked graves without any DNA samples taken.

"It was a chore to get the police to take Molly's case seriously because she was 23," said Keri Dattilo, referring to her cousin Molly Dattilo, who disappeared July 6, 2004 in Indianapolis.

Keri Dattilo said it took six weeks before an investigation began in earnest.

"They could have tracked down more people in the very beginning with a fresh memory," she said. "I think they need to start taking these cases seriously in the beginning. They need to listen to the families."

New Jersey resident Jim Viola's wife, Patricia, disappeared six years ago, the day before Valentine's Day. He has since learned by trial and error what should be done when someone disappears. He didn't know for more than three years that a DNA profile of his wife could be created with a blood sample from his mother-in-law.

By pushing Campaign for the Missing legislation in his state, he hopes to save others from some of the heartache he's suffered.

"I'm basically trying to get New Jersey residents to write to their senator, to get them to understand that this law is for them," he said.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/new...,0,5545169.story?coll=hc-headlines-local-wire

Relatives of missing adults work to pass laws across nation

Associated Press

Published March 25 2007

HARTFORD, Conn. -- When Janice Smolinski's 31-year-old son Billy disappeared in 2004, there were no Amber Alerts, no urgent police investigations.

................snip...............

Yay! This article made it into 'the bigs':
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,261720,00.html

I'm all excited to see it at the FoxNews website... I mean, right there on the front, without having to look for it it was there! Could it be... can it be that finally 'people' are starting to wake up to this? :)

The sad part is that it apparently was 'brought out' by 911-dispatcher Theresa Parker going missing in Georgia. They're trying to find her, she's been gone for five days. http://tinyurl.com/2ysk5c

We are very excited about the national AP story, too!

It did not happen because of the other case, though. It was in the plans for well over a month that when it finally came out, the AP writer from CT was going to push hard to get it on the national AP, and she did!

We are very excited about the national AP story, too!

It did not happen because of the other case, though. It was in the plans for well over a month that when it finally came out, the AP writer from CT was going to push hard to get it on the national AP, and she did!

Well that's good! That makes it even better. Big thumbs up for this AP writer!

:clap: :clap:

Frist of all, I would like to commend the family of Jason for their hard work and faith and it is my greatest hope that Jason is found safely. I am wondering if some of the following angles were investigated:

1. Is there a history of drug activity in the area? Perhaps Jason witnessed something he shouldn't have.

2. Have all neighbors, particularly, single males, been investigated thoroughly?

3. Are there any precipices or bodies of water or sewer drainage nearby?

4. Are there any missing adult cases in the area over the past years that might be connected?

5. Did Jason have any visitors or receieve any phone calls at his job prior to his disappearance?

Im sure these have all been considered, but I figured I might throw it out there.

Frist of all, I would like to commend the family of Jason for their hard work and faith and it is my greatest hope that Jason is found safely. I am wondering if some of the following angles were investigated:

1. Is there a history of drug activity in the area? Perhaps Jason witnessed something he shouldn't have.

2. Have all neighbors, particularly, single males, been investigated thoroughly?

3. Are there any precipices or bodies of water or sewer drainage nearby?

4. Are there any missing adult cases in the area over the past years that might be connected?

5. Did Jason have any visitors or receieve any phone calls at his job prior to his disappearance?

Im sure these have all been considered, but I figured I might throw it out there.

Thank you for your concern. To answer your questions:

1. There is a hotbed of drug activity to the east of here, but not any more so in this neighborhood than that one. Jason did not go over there that we know of.

2. Yes, as far as we know. They will not give us specific details about this other than it has been done.

3. No.

4. They did look into this and did not see any connections. Nor do I.

5. Not that I know of. Co-workers and managers there were questioned extensively and this never came up.

Thinking of you all.
bouquet.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members