NE - Omaha Double Murder #3 - *Arrest Made*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
WM, I too have found the Omaha news media to be rather apathetic in regards to this case. They do their little annual news report and that's about all you hear until the next year rolls around.

I don't see many Jehovah's witness members travelling alone, though
the description fits.

the description fits.

I understand there was a group of Jehovah's Wittnesses going through that neighborhood that week. They were not in the immediate area of the Hunter home but a couple of them later contacted OPD to report something suspicious. I got this third hand but the person telling me this said they reported seeing someone sitting in a parked car a couple blocks away about the time the killings went down, this person was talking in an agitated manner on what looked to them like a walkie-talkie device.
I would assume they got the license number and that OPD cleared the matter, that's all I was told.
FWIW, I was also told by a coworker right afterward that a teenaged girl in the Dundee area saw a man fitting the POI's description looking in at her through a patio window, about two days prior to the killings. He left in a hurry once he kmew he'd been seen. Again, I have no firm information on that. I believe that incident was reported to OPD.
Sometimes this whole thing reminds me of the JFK murder. Lots of funny little things..

the description fits.

It would also fit a computer repair person. They usually carry a shoulder bag. Not to say that's who the POI was, but maybe that's who he was posing as.

Snick, I recall hearing unconfirmed reports of the JW missionaries in the area but had not heard of the man peeping at the teenaged girl. EWWW how creepy is that?

Surely the OPD has invesitgated this report thoroughly. This rumor would certainly lend credence to YellowDogs stance that the killer is from the immediate area.

But then, the suspicious man in the parked car on a walkie talkie leads me to believe otherwise.

I really don't know what to think anymore. I wish we would get an update. It is too quiet :(

wm

Someone in a car using a walkie-talkie device makes me think more of robbers working in pairs. One working as a lookout while the other one commits the burglary. It reminds me that the Anderson home was burglarized after the reported murder/suicide. Also, wasn't there a reported burglary in the Hunter neighborhood? Could this be a group of professional burglars targeting this area because of it being an upscale neighborhood?

When I hear about the guy on the walkie-talkie, it makes me think of a hit. Or at least a coordinated murder, the guy doing the knifing would be the guy that was paid. The guy in the car sounds like the one ordering the hit or at least the one coordinating it. Either way, this sounds complicated, and less likely to be a murder to cover up a burglary in progress, particularly when you think about how methodical and calculated (medical knowledge) and effective this perp was at pulling this off--not the skills of the average burglar.

My gut tells me MB is involved. I tend to think he is the POI. However, i also think he could have been the person in the car on the walkie talkie. I sure would like to hear how this guy was described by witnesses!

When I hear about the guy on the walkie-talkie, it makes me think of a hit. Or at least a coordinated murder, the guy doing the knifing would be the guy that was paid. The guy in the car sounds like the one ordering the hit or at least the one coordinating it. Either way, this sounds complicated, and less likely to be a murder to cover up a burglary in progress, particularly when you think about how methodical and calculated (medical knowledge) and effective this perp was at pulling this off--not the skills of the average burglar.

My gut tells me MB is involved. I tend to think he is the POI. However, i also think he could have been the person in the car on the walkie talkie. I sure would like to hear how this guy was described by witnesses!

Geojeffery, It makes me think of a hit also, which was my first gut feeling in this case. I just can't can't reconcile in my mind why though????

wm

Okay, so we know the POI stopped and started their car as if looking for an address. I also thought I read earlier that the witness thought they were on a cell phone. Could this have been a walkie-talkie instead? We know these are used by LE (or two-way radios if you will) as well as Dog the Bounty Hunter! And the user does take a risk their conversation could be heard by a shared frequency. I know I bought my daughter one a couple years ago for play and she could basically use it only around the house and yard. However, she did tell me a creepy story that she swears she left it on one night and heard her current teacher talking to his son (who he called by name and we are familiar with as they used to go to the same daycare). I assumed she was dreaming but she swears she was awake and heard it. They live clear across town. But this is also not the first time we've heard another car was parked nearby. This is such a tragic mystery.

I wonder where this car was parked with the man on the walkie talkie. The description of this man sounds like he was a lookout and the w.t was a quick way to say get the He!! out of there. Was he parked where he could see if Dr Hunter was on his way home or where he had a view of the house in case anyone arrived?

How would the killer know for sure that Tom and Shirlee would be there? Tom was a young boy and participated in some extra curricular activities so how did they know he would be there that day? I assume Shirlee's schedule was easily tracked if she indeed worked the same schedule at her clients homes each week.

How were these murders pulled off leaving little evidence behind? It seems to me that killing 2 people would be difficult and one of the victims would have fought during the attack. My hope is that someone had dna under their fingernails. But that is not much help if the perp has never been arrested and dna never collected from him, I reckon.

I agree with mac about the walkie talkie convos being heard. I think they probably had a code word in case the killer needed to get out quickly. I can't imagine taking a risk of conversation regarding the crime.

OT I am dating myself here but I remember when all mobile phones were on a cellular signal and one could here others conversations on the car radio frequency!

MOO

wm

It allllmost seems that the slight risk of being overheard on the walkie-talkies would be far less than having cell phone records/pings. Makes even more sense if there were code words/phrases. This is very spooky.

That's a very good point annemc2. An electronic savvy person would know that their cell phone pings could be used to identify their approximate location.

Gee Whiz Snick! What in the world is going on in Omaha?

I am being sarcastic here, but I like the way the article downplayed the actual details of the violence and focused on the Impact One Community Connection to diffuse violence. There was apparently no Impact made to prevent this violence.

I took a Nonviolent crisis Intervention workshop for 6 weeks several years back. I learned alot about body language and diffusing situations before escalation, even learned how to properly restrain a student if needed. It was very helpful for me in my line of work as I worked with behaviorally/emotionally disturbed students. However, I don't feel it is a general expectation of the general public to always be prepared to diffuse anger from mentally deranged people. We have expectations as citizens that there are still some safe places in this world. Schools, Hospitals and Churches come to mind.

I wish there was no such thing as handguns.....it makes killing too easy for disturbed people. Don't get me wrong, I believe in the right to protect life and property. I have no issue with shotguns and rifles. I have fired both. I like the shotgun because it doesn't require good aim and I would use it against an intruder if need be. (although I'd end up on my rear-end also due to the kickback!)

We live in a messed up world these days. The Gun slinging days of the wild wild west are in the past, it has no place in todays society, IMO.

OK Rant over!

In the meantime, who Killed Tom Hunter and Shirlee Sherman?

wm

Wow, Snick. Sounds like a dangerous place to live. Better get yourself a 'bulletproof vest" and a pistol.

I am astonished at the violence in our country these days. It is really a sad situation'

The violence that occurs across our Nation daily is staggering.

I live in Philadelphia and it averages just under two murders per day every year. And that figure does not include all of the neighboring cities that have numerous murders as well. You cannot be outside in the City without always keeping up your guard. Rapes, burglaries, assaults are commonplace. Guns are everywhere. It is like a war zone.

Interesting articles I'mforjustice. Thanks for posting them. I'm wondering if law enforcement even knows Dr. Belenky's whereabouts at the present time.

One police officer has been quoted as saying "he's dropped off the face of the earth".

MB's stock as the perp in this case has gone up in my mind.

I wonder sometimes- who is he, really? Could he have assumed the ID of the real MB?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maylon
Back