NE NE - Ryan Larsen, 11, with autism, La Vista, 17 May 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I thought we were led to believe that Ryan made it home to his apartment and it was made to seem as if he had been inside and had recently searched /watched videos on how to hide from police. Knowing now that he never made it INSIDE his apartment is a huge red flag to me. At what point had he been searching for the videos? If it wasn’t immediately before he went missing, then how do they know that him missing was even related to “hiding from the police”? If it had been recent, where was Ryan watching the videos - school? friends? You can log in to Youtube from a computer anywhere. Do they know where he logged in from?

Furthermore, if they found the umbrella shortly after he went missing, and just now got DNA on it, why in the world wasn’t the search more focused on the area around the apartments from the get go? I’ve heard it was a pretty distinct umbrella (not sure I’ve seen it posted in MSM) so it would be obvious that it was his even if they hadn’t gotten back DNA yet. Was the umbrella open? Closed? In a dumpster? On the sidewalk?

Ugh. So frustrating. :(
I may have missed something along the line but I had never gotten the impression that anyone thought Ryan had made it home after leaving school. I had always thought they meant that Ryan's Google searches had been done at some point prior to that day when he left school. ...so this info that he did return to the area near home even though he would not have been able to make entry there doesn’t raise new questions for me (not I haven't had those questions or that they aren't valid though), but it does make me wonder - in a different way than before - what his expectations/intentions were with returning there. Would he have realized that the door would be locked and he couldn't get in? Or did he think the door would be open and he'd be able to go inside? If so, would he have just stayed or hidden there? Or could he have been returning to get clothes/supplies - or perhaps more instructions from his search results on how to hide from police? ...or maybe he never intended to enter his place but instead it was just a familiar area that he was drawn to? ...or maybe even a familiar area where someone had arranged to meet him?

I may have missed something along the line but I had never gotten the impression that anyone thought Ryan had made it home after leaving school.

The language hasn't been entirely clear but I got the impression that the internet searches were done by Ryan at some point (unclear when) before he left school. I'm not sure he had the means (cellphone) to do any internet searches after he left the school but that is an assumption on my part.

There was someone who appears to be Ryan who was captured at approximately 1:30 PM near his home. Additionally, the umbrella Ryan had at school was also found very close to his home and turned in 3-4 days after he went missing.

It's looking very likely that Ryan made his way back to his home at some point after leaving school and close to the ~1:30 PM window. A family member was expected to be back home at 2:00. Unfortunately, it's likely that he found his house door locked when he arrived. From the information available to us it seems to me that this is where LE also lost track of his movements.

DNA on umbrella places Ryan Larsen near his La Vista home on day he disappeared

Last edited:
The discovery of the umbrella has unfortunately, in my mind, not cleared anything up in regards to what may have happened to poor Ryan. The biggest takeaway I had was the umbrella wasn't turned in until 3-4 days after his disappearance. Searchers would have been scouring the area so why did it take that long to have someone locate it? Was it hidden somewhere, causing the delay in discovery? Did Ryan hide it himself in anticipation of returning for it? Did someone have it who was unaware of its importance in a missing persons case?
On one hand, it's very difficult imagining he would part ways with this umbrella willingly; its sentimental value to him seems significant. On the other hand, Ryan could have been entirely preoccupied with hiding and the umbrella didn't work its way into that mindset?
I was curious what Ryan would have seen in his internet searches when it comes to hiding from the police. I have no way of knowing what pages or videos he viewed but a common theme in the sources I visited was to discard items on your person that visibly stick-out or make it easier to identify you. I don't know enough about autism or Ryan's cognitive ability, but I wonder if he understood that his polka-dotted umbrella may qualify as that type of item.
The other common theme I discovered was the suggestion to hide underground to avoid detection :oops:

It's none of my business but I would be very curious to know how Ryan handled his sister moving out and if it acted as an emotional trigger for him. Did his sister move far away? Was Ryan, in his mind, trying to get to her?

I hope this poor little guy makes it home safely. The lack of information gleaned by investigators from the video surveillance in that area is very, very concerning to me.

Last edited:
I thought we were led to believe that Ryan made it home to his apartment and it was made to seem as if he had been inside and had recently searched /watched videos on how to hide from police. Knowing now that he never made it INSIDE his apartment is a huge red flag to me. At what point had he been searching for the videos? If it wasn’t immediately before he went missing, then how do they know that him missing was even related to “hiding from the police”? If it had been recent, where was Ryan watching the videos - school? friends? You can log in to Youtube from a computer anywhere. Do they know where he logged in from?

Furthermore, if they found the umbrella shortly after he went missing, and just now got DNA on it, why in the world wasn’t the search more focused on the area around the apartments from the get go? I’ve heard it was a pretty distinct umbrella (not sure I’ve seen it posted in MSM) so it would be obvious that it was his even if they hadn’t gotten back DNA yet. Was the umbrella open? Closed? In a dumpster? On the sidewalk?

Ugh. So frustrating. :(

bbm

That's what I want to know, too! Was it just out in the open? Did it look like he stashed it behind a bush with the intention of coming back for it? Did it look like he had dropped it in a struggle? Was it thrown away? Was it buried?

The discovery of the umbrella has unfortunately, in my mind, not cleared anything up in regards to what may have happened to poor Ryan. The biggest takeaway I had was the umbrella wasn't turned in until 3-4 days after his disappearance. Searchers would have been scouring the area so why did it take that long to have someone locate it? Was it hidden somewhere, causing the delay in discovery? Did Ryan hide it himself in anticipation of returning for it? Did someone have it who was unaware of its importance in a missing persons case?
On one hand, it's very difficult imagining he would part ways with this umbrella willingly; its sentimental value to him seems significant. On the other hand, Ryan could have been entirely preoccupied with hiding and the umbrella didn't work its way into that mindset?
I was curious what Ryan would have seen in his internet searches when it comes to hiding from the police. I have no way of knowing what pages or videos he viewed but a common theme in the sources I visited was to discard items on your person that visibly stick-out or make it easier to identify you. I don't know enough about autism or Ryan's cognitive ability, but I wonder if he understood that his polka-dotted umbrella may qualify as that type of item.
The other common theme I discovered was the suggestion to hide underground to avoid detection :oops:

It's none of my business but I would be very curious to know how Ryan handled his sister moving out and if it acted as an emotional trigger for him. Did his sister move far away? Was Ryan, in his mind, trying to get to her?

I hope this poor little guy makes it home safely. The lack of information gleaned by investigators from the video surveillance in that area is very, very concerning to me.

I also googled hiding from the police videos to see what he might have watched. Lots of hiding underneath things, or up in trees. A couple of things that stood out to me were 1) none of the videos I watched showed people moving around to avoid detection. They all just picked a place and stayed there 2) They usually brought snacks.

It was my understanding (though I don't have anything to back it up) that he watched the videos before he left school. I've actually had the impression that it was in the days or even weeks leading up to that day, but again, I'm not sure why I've thought that.

I would also like to know the specifics of the umbrella. I did look up RSO’s in our area but it’s been since early reports of him being missing. I just can’t believe how quiet it is. If it were my child, it would be unbearable especially when LE has pretty much quit updating the public. I will say I noticed one thing. I live across the road and we have always had a good police presence around and in fact they would sometimes park to do their reports in the area. Once he went missing, we did not see the Lavista police but rarely. I noticed the last week or 2 they’ve been cruising through regularly again. I hope he is found One way or another soon

I would also like to know the specifics of the umbrella. I did look up RSO’s in our area but it’s been since early reports of him being missing. I just can’t believe how quiet it is. If it were my child, it would be unbearable especially when LE has pretty much quit updating the public. I will say I noticed one thing. I live across the road and we have always had a good police presence around and in fact they would sometimes park to do their reports in the area. Once he went missing, we did not see the Lavista police but rarely. I noticed the last week or 2 they’ve been cruising through regularly again. I hope he is found One way or another soon

I also want to know more about the umbrella. I even looked through social media (for as long as I could stand) and couldn't find any info about it.

The last update was so cryptic and sounded like they were considering the possibility that he didn't go off to hide. Then crickets!

I also want to know more about the umbrella. I even looked through social media (for as long as I could stand) and couldn't find any info about it.
^^rsbm

Family are reporting that police are not releasing the location where the umbrella was found.

microsoftteams-image-5-1-1626820067.png

SEARCH FOR RYAN: Police brought in top landfill search experts

Interesting that the trash was collected at 1230 and the video footage of Ryan at the apartment is after 130. So why are they searching the landfills if the trash was already collected? - Just playing a bit of devils advocate here

It doesn't sound like they are searching landfills. It sounds like they're just looking into what that would entail if they did go down that road.

"We have a live witness and possible video that shows him roughly an hour after the trash had been dumped," said Lausten.

The witness said they saw the boy at 1:30pm at the complex. There is also video of Ryan around that time. The trash is picked up at 12:30pm.

Even though this theory didn't pan out, Lausten said they have to look at every single aspect.

"You don't search landfills on a hunch; you search landfills on evidence," he said.

Interesting that the trash was collected at 1230 and the video footage of Ryan at the apartment is after 130. So why are they searching the landfills if the trash was already collected? - Just playing a bit of devils advocate here
In the news video, they stated that Ryan loved to hide and even searched online how to hide and not be detected. Perhaps his online searches included hiding in rubbish bins. I don't believe there is a planned landfill search at this time.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

NamUs Case created: July 23 2021

upload_2021-7-23_22-49-18.jpeg

Circumstances of Disappearance
The missing juvenile, Ryan D Larsen, walked away from his elementary school in La Vista, Nebraska around noon on 5/17/2021.

Ryan was seen near his apartment shortly after he walked away from the school. There have been no confirmed sightings since this time.

Ryan has high functioning autism and has a history of running away and hiding; however, he has always been found shortly afterward near the location where he left.

Ryan is described as being 5'08" tall, around 125 pounds, with brown hair and hazel eyes. Ryan was last seen wearing a black hoody, blue jeans, an Old Navy shirt and had a polka-dotted umbrella.

New development in case of missing Nebraska child is brought with skepticism

"This lead investigators to speculate that Larsen may have been hiding in the dumpster and then taken to a nearby landfill in Mills County, Iowa, by accident.

But the La Vista police chief doesn't think that's likely.

"We have video from truck with trash being dumped and no object or body-like thing coming out," said the police chief.

The La Vista police chief said searching the landfill without harder evidence would take at least 20 people and months to complete."

Apologies if this has already been posted.

New development in case of missing Nebraska child is brought with skepticism

"This lead investigators to speculate that Larsen may have been hiding in the dumpster and then taken to a nearby landfill in Mills County, Iowa, by accident.

But the La Vista police chief doesn't think that's likely.

"We have video from truck with trash being dumped and no object or body-like thing coming out," said the police chief.

The La Vista police chief said searching the landfill without harder evidence would take at least 20 people and months to complete."

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Unfortunately, I think this is the most likely scenario, especially now that they told us his umbrella was found by the dumpster.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cngmac
Back