New Developments and General Discussion, 08/10/2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe those posters who are local might try pronouncing it w/ Church Point-Bois de Mallet accent? JMO

Mais cher, it's fo sho pin s'eclair. Dats prounounced "pans-clair" (where the wrong spelling of "pain" came from katie78, lol)

Repeter s'il vous plaît:

May sha it's fo sho pin s'eclair.

Means light or lightning pine. Could have been named by the color of the trees or because dey had a lotsa lightning bugs there ,yeah.

"Pain" is pronounced "pan" as well and means loaf or bread. Only the n is sort of an after thought-- like paaa n --make any sense?

BS Lavergne intentionally set his 2011 Silverado on fire, then purchased a 2009 Silverado...
A search on the price of the 2009 replacement truck would have been approximately $25,000.00. This would have given BSL about $9,000.00 working capital/travel expenses.

Glad they arrested him on July 5, 2012 before he absconded and truly became an everywhere, nowhere man...

http://autos.aol.com/used/kbb/Chevr...+Cab-LT_Pickup_4D_5_3_4_ft/2009/retail-value/

Respectfully, I wouldn't assume that he was given $9000.00, or any other amount of extra spending money based on any of these figures. First, we dont know what "value" was estimated for the burned truck. Was it retail value, replacement value, blue book value? We would need to know the Actual Cash Value in order to make any assumptions as to how much money he may have received. Actual Cash Value is almost always a lower amount than many "values" listed. JMO
http://www.actualcashvalue.net/

just looking up stuff myself trying to learn what exactly is an evidentiary hearing.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-evidentiary-hearing.htm

RE: In court, an evidentiary or preliminary hearing is a legal proceeding in which the prosecutor of a criminal case outlines the evidence warranting the arrest of the defendant. The purpose of the hearing is to prevent a long detainment of a defendant if the charges are unfounded. In the preliminary hearing, the prosecutor must prove that a crime occurred within the jurisdiction of the court and that there is enough evidence to suggest to a reasonable person that the defendant committed the crime.

'Thanx for sharing the link, MonkeyShine'..

I was with the understanding that the evidentiary/preliminary hearing was circumvented by the Grand Jury indictment.. But what do we mere laymen know?
Maybe one of the local lawyers will weigh in with their thoughts..

Not sure how a rest area would play into this. It would place him in the "area"
near the car, so I tend to believe he had a mode of transportation in the bed of the truck and acted alone...
I just dunno!
Rest stops.. People disappear from them?

Mais cher, it's fo sho pin s'eclair. Dats prounounced "pans-clair" (where the wrong spelling of "pain" came from katie78, lol)

Repeter s'il vous plaît:

May sha it's fo sho pin s'eclair.

Means light or lightning pine. Could have been named by the color of the trees or because dey had a lotsa lightning bugs there ,yeah.

"Pain" is pronounced "pan" as well and means loaf or bread. Only the n is sort of an after thought-- like paaa n --make any sense?

love. lovelovelove! It surely is an interesting accent. I wish the others could hear it for themselves!

Rest stops.. People disappear from them?

Yes they do! Florida has night time security guards at many of the rest stops I have been to. Parked right there at the sidewalk.

Not sure if it helps or not. I don't think they are armed... :dunno:

Here's a little example of the accent
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2QtyHultEA"]Old cajun man explains the scene of a crime - YouTube[/ame]

For some humor--google Cajun OnStar on youtube :)

I dunno; I had thought motorcycle, too, but my thinking hadn't included his staying at his sister's; I had thought he drove out there from Louisiana and dorve the motorcycle back.

Yes, it is a mystery how he got back from the forest.

We don't know for sure everyone who was living or spending the night at the sister's house the night the truck was 'stolen' and burned. Is the sister old enough to have a child who could drive? Or a significant other? A friend?

Maybe BSL slipped quietly out of the house after everyone was asleep, drove his truck to the site and burned it, and then walked several miles away and called someone to tell them he had gone out for . . . anything . . . and his truck was stolen, could they please come pick him up? Though if someone did drive out and pick him up they would have still been an accomplice unless they didn't live at the sister's house because he reported it stolen there the next morning.

RE: In court, an evidentiary or preliminary hearing is a legal proceeding in which the prosecutor of a criminal case outlines the evidence warranting the arrest of the defendant. The purpose of the hearing is to prevent a long detainment of a defendant if the charges are unfounded. In the preliminary hearing, the prosecutor must prove that a crime occurred within the jurisdiction of the court and that there is enough evidence to suggest to a reasonable person that the defendant committed the crime.

'Thanx for sharing the link, MonkeyShine'..

I was with the understanding that the evidentiary/preliminary hearing was circumvented by the Grand Jury indictment.. But what do we mere laymen know?
Maybe one of the local lawyers will weigh in with their thoughts..

that's what i thought too. they had the grand jury thing, so what's this for? is it to formally present the evidence they have? the disclosure documents that were filed about 10 days ago - is this hearing for the evidence in those to be formally presented in court??

For some reason, the burned truck on Hues Rd. is bothering me so much. That road is out in the middle of nowhere, with so few residences even around it. I'm just thinking 'out loud' but for it to have been found at 4 a.m., I would think he would have had to park it somewhere near the intersection of either Stringtown Rd. or FM 223. My bets would be the farm to market road. I just don't see how anyone could have seen it, unless it was close to one of the few houses out there. All JMO.

http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/ (scroll down)

Grand Jury to Decide if Enough Evidence in Shunick Case
07/18/2012 02:21 PM by Chris Welty
A grand jury will meet today to decide if there's enough evidence to indict Brandon Scott Lavergne, the man charged with aggravated kidnapping and first-degree murder of Mickey Shunick.

For forty-four years Thomas Guilbeau has practiced criminal law in Lafayette, covering a variety of cases including homicides and death penalty cases. He says it won't be hard to get an indictment from a grand jury in Lavergne's case.
"Their level of burden in this is not beyond reasonable doubt, it is basically probable cause," said Guilbeau.
During a grand jury, the defense is left in the cold not knowing what evidence and witnesses may be presented. The defense does have several options though to try and get information.
"They could ask for a bond hearing for this guy and subpoena witnesses to appear that may know something for the case to get on a fishing expedition."

* If Lavergne is indicted, he's not entitled to a preliminary hearing, which is where the defense would receive a wealth of information including possible evidence.

"It's a smart move on the D.A.'s part and they have to indict in a murder case."

BUT, we don't call it an evidentiary hearing for the limited purpose of preserving testimony. An evidentiary hearing for the limited purpose of preserving testimony here usually means you have a witness in ill health that may die at any time and you want to preserve their testimony before you lose it all together with an untimely death. Maybe a local can shed more light. Like I said, I'm stumped here. Maybe they're entering the plea but trying to avoid a media circus at the Courthouse so trying to call it something else?

Trying to avoid the media circus is a good point, however, would calling it something else be, well, legal? If it is about preservation of testimony, could it be BSL's adoptive father, who was hospitalized when Mickey was murdered? It could be any witness, though. No cameras in Louisiana courtrooms.

BBM

I had posted earlier that if she takes Ambien...

Just want to clear it up that I have no clue if she did/does.

I take it and my husband has told me that I wake up in the exact position that I went to sleep in... I never move.

My ex-hubby took Ambien twice....1st night he got up in the middle of the night and tried to make a sandwich out of a stuffed animal. Luckily I happened to be awake, and didn't let him eat it. The 2nd night he got up and made himself a snack of dog biscuits. I was not awake that time. We just found the evidence then next morning all over his side of the bed. By way of ripped open box and scattered biscuits... He decided that medicine was probably not good for him :floorlaugh:

My ex-hubby took Ambien twice....1st night he got up in the middle of the night and tried to make a sandwich out of a stuffed animal. Luckily I happened to be awake, and didn't let him eat it. The 2nd night he got up and made himself a snack of dog biscuits. I was not awake that time. We just found the evidence then next morning all over his side of the bed. By way of ripped open box and scattered biscuits... He decided that medicine was probably not good for him :floorlaugh:

BBM...I hope he at least soaked them in milk first, so they weren't so "ruff!" ;)

Respectfully, I wouldn't assume that he was given $9000.00, or any other amount of extra spending money based on any of these figures. First, we dont know what "value" was estimated for the burned truck. Was it retail value, replacement value, blue book value? We would need to know the Actual Cash Value in order to make any assumptions as to how much money he may have received. Actual Cash Value is almost always a lower amount than many "values" listed. JMO
http://www.actualcashvalue.net/

SteveP, respectfully, the insurance check was for $34,000.00..
The replacement DWT ext cab fully loaded retail price is $25,000.00..
$9,000.00 difference..

that's what i thought too. they had the grand jury thing, so what's this for? is it to formally present the evidence they have? the disclosure documents that were filed about 10 days ago - is this hearing for the evidence in those to be formally presented in court??
I'm not sure what we'll learn this friday. In light of finding Mickey's body and with the way this case seems to progress, it could mean a whole lot of things, IMO. Change of plea, further evidence...? Who knows.

SteveP, respectfully, the insurance check was for $34,000.00..
The replacement DWT ext cab fully loaded retail price is $25,000.00..
$9,000.00 difference..

I had not seen the amount of the check listed anywhere, and cant imagine why any insurance company would release that information to the public. Was it listed in the court documents?

He was in the military 14 years ago though. And i thought he wasnt actually in the military for that long. And he was in jail for eight years. I'm not sure about how much exercise a person can get in jail but IMO I would guess that his physical fitness would have surely declined.

Moo
Speaking of military. Someone told me the other day, their friend's son joined the military in lieu of having to register as a sexual offender, after getting caught dating a 16 year old girl, when he was 19-21 years old. Is or was this really an option for sexual offenders?

I had not seen the amount of the check listed anywhere, and cant imagine why any insurance company would release that information to the public. Was it listed in the court documents?

Was the difference for the tools/toolbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne