New Developments and General Discussion, 08/10/2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RSO status... I know BSL was allowed to work offshore. Apparently he was also allowed to travel to and from TX at will??? It was my understanding an RSO needed to advise before leaving the state. Again the "rules" probably did not apply to him.
~jmo he was allowed too much "freedom" too often

Findagrave.com spells it Pinseclair. If you look at obits of people who are buried there it is spelled Pines Claire or Pine Claire though. We may never know the real spelling I'm afraid. Possibly changed spelling over the years? I even found a bulletin from St. Ann's in Mamou that spells it Pain Claire's!

Good sleuthing to check the obits - thanks!

As I suspected, we have a cemetery that no one really knows what it's called.

For those not familiar with south Louisiana, that is normal! lol

Perhaps the Friday hearing is to hear evidence regarding any crimes they feel he's committed in other jurisdictions.

"

hugs to all my ws family. has it been announced officially about the memorial? for those of us who are going, could we meet up prior to? i dont know if this is against rules of any kind. just thought it would be nice since we have spent much of the last three months hanging out and fighting and trying to do the right thing.[/QUOTE]

Chicken Fried and I have discussed the possibility of meeting before/after with other members.

We were wondering how many would want to get together.

Please thank this post if you think you would like to meet, so we can get an idea of interest.
[/QUOTE]

I think that meeting afterward at some point would be appropriate, so as to allow everyone attending the memorial service to remember Mickey in their own way, privately, without feeling like they were attending the memorial as part of a group.

Mickey Schunick's favorite color; Purple....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OMv-JIJreE"]Prince And The Revolution - Purple Rain (LYRICS!) - YouTube[/ame]

I checked enough places that I believe the cemetery is Pinseclair Cemetery.

Also learned that the closest place name - unincorporated- is Barber Spur, Louisiana.

It's possible that there was/is a railroad spur near there, as Hwy. 10 was once a major route. Railroad spurs or other features such as switches, are often given names in alphabetical order, with the closest spur/switch to the beginning of the line beginning with the letter, "A." For example, as one heads north on I-49 out of Lafayette, one comes to the Butcher Switch exit ("B") and then the Gloria Switch exit ("G").

Railroad stuff.

Barber Spur could have been named after the second spur on a given railroad line.

Useless info, I know.

Pinseclair Cemetery (Evangeline)
Place: Pinseclair Cemetery
Kind: Cemetery
Height above sea level: 19 meters
Sunrise: 06:39 (local time)
Sunset: 19:48 (local time)
Local date and time Pinseclair Cemetery: Tue Aug 14 23:42:07 2012, 226
Date and time in Italy: Wed Aug 15 6:42:07 2012, 227 - th day of the year
Difference: -7 hours
Related town: Barber Spur
County: Evangeline
State: Louisiana
State Capital: Baton Rouge

Some information about Pinseclair Cemetery

Pinseclair Cemetery is a place of kind Cemetery belonging to the County of Evangeline. The closest populated place is that of Barber Spur that is 3.40 miles far from Pinseclair Cemetery.

Pinseclair Cemetery is also 4.29 miles far from the closest airport or heliport, the Mamou Municipal Airport.

The weather forecasting are available for the town of Reddell, that is 3.65 miles far from Pinseclair Cemetery. (ZIP Code: 70580)

Re: "held for documentation" I am not coming up with anything except maybe having to do with citizenship (arizona and all). Can you provide more context?

held for doc is held for 'dept of corrections' DOC probation or parole violation. And you may be on the same very early speculation on the serial arsonist friend BSL has that was arrested the day after BSL was.

Hey everyone. I am NOT trying to start a “owl or bike under truck” crazy talk … but I do wonder if anyone has found out what those “odd things” are in the trees to the right side of the attached photo (the photo where Mickey was found). I also find it odd that Google EARTH has imagery for the spot dated 05/31/2012 … almost like LE was involved? I have NO idea … I just know there are so many other places you think would be updated on Google EARTH … just got me thinking.Image | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Any thoughts on what those things are? If you are on Google EARTH, check it out yourself … I just find it odd. Any thoughts?
What odd things in the trees?? Do you mean those little shiny things?

ETA: Oh, nevermind. I figured it out. Those are owls atop the trees. It's hard to tell if they're horned or spotted underneath those tin foil hats. :D

Seriously, even in Google Earth, I can't make them out on my laptop screen. They just turn into white blobs when I zoom in. Interesting, though. I do enjoy the perspective visible from "above" the earth. Guess that's what is meant by a bird's eye view.

Could they be power transmission towers?

Hey everyone. I am NOT trying to start a “owl or bike under truck” crazy talk … but I do wonder if anyone has found out what those “odd things” are in the trees to the right side of the attached photo (the photo where Mickey was found). I also find it odd that Google EARTH has imagery for the spot dated 05/31/2012 … almost like LE was involved? I have NO idea … I just know there are so many other places you think would be updated on Google EARTH … just got me thinking.Image | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Any thoughts on what those things are? If you are on Google EARTH, check it out yourself … I just find it odd. Any thoughts?
-------------
My immediate guess, is that those little white spots perched atop the trees and seen at that distance are, not owls, or buzzards, but:

Snowy Egrets

They do nest sometimes high up in pine or fir trees. They also are prevalent in many areas of the U.S.

There are photos online of them perched atop trees.

I have been trying to find this and I finally did. Regarding the women's IDs and bloodied pictures the police found after BSL was arrested.

Notice this paragagraph from the thefind.com dated 8/3/12:

Sources close to the investigation tell The Independent that when officials searched Lavergne’s home at 143 Elaine Lane in Church Point on July 5, they found several women’s IDs and bloodied images Lavergne took of himself sometime after Shunick went missing May 19.

According to this he took the pictures after Mickey went missing which to me means they were pictures of the injuries that he went to the hospital for. I am hoping Mickey inflicted these on him. I wonder what his motive was for this? Must have been to back up his attack by a stranger story.

I am only pointing this out because there has been speculation that he smeared blood all over himself and took pictures of himself. Can't wait to see those pictures.:sigh:

Very interesting article in TDA.

It seems there is an unidentified witness testifying Friday.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120815/NEWS01/208150328/-1/rss01

RE: Assistant District Attorney Keith Stutes

"It indicates to me he's going to do what's necessary to see that justice is done," Cedars said.

"He's taking a no-holds-barred apprpoach, which is what prosecutors are sworn to do."

None of the attorneys believe the testimony Friday will come from Lavergne.

"It would be highly unusual that it would be for the defendant's testimony," Boustany he said.

Speculation that Lavergne entered a plea deal has been high during the past week after "a credible source" led police Aug. 7 to the body of Mickey Shunick buried behind an Evangeline Parish cemetery off La. 10.

Assistant District Attorney Keith Stutes is taking a no-holds-barred apprpoach,

Just a guess, but the "mystery witness" could be his adoptive father who we know has been ill and in the hospital. From my understanding he is NOT in the best health. Maybe they want his testimony NOW just in case. Again, JMO.

Possibilities:

-terminally ill person
-person who works away-from-home at long periods of time
-transportation-challenged person from another state who is planning on being in town at that time
-person who is currently incarcerated, and whose jailer(s) have arranged for testimony at this specific time to accommodate logistical concerns
-undercover-type person (or someone in the FWPP) whose identity the state/feds seek to protect

Other ideas?

ETA: Jumping off of your idea, CajunLady, perhaps it's his biological father? Long-shot, I know, but perhaps he agreed to testify in exchange for LE protecting his identity.

I can only think of two scenarios for Friday.

One, it is to plead BSL out. This would entail BSL giving testimony to the Judge about the crimes charged so that the Judge can accept a guilty plea or find that BSL did, in fact, commit the crimes charged and subsequently hand down the punishment. The testimony would also establish on the record that BSL is aware of his constitutional rights and that by entering a plea of guilty, he is waiving or giving up those rights...i.e. right to a jury trial, to cross-examine witnesses etc...Typically, if this is the scenario, the Court will accept the guilty plea and hand down the punishment agreed to in the plea agreement, assuming its not out of line..i.e. life without parole. I am hopeful this is the scenario but have never heard such a hearing called an Evidentiary Hearing but again I'm not from LA.

Second, if its not the above, I imagine the prosecution is trying to preserve testimony of someone who is old or sick or for some reason they feel may not be able to testify at trial. If this is the case, the hearing may simply be to establish for the Court that this person may not be around at trial (i.e. the only testimony to be heard on Friday is that the person is dying). If the Court agrees, it will enter an order saying that the DA may take this person's deposition (testimony), which will be scheduled on another day. It is possible that if the Court agrees, the entirety of that persons testimony will be heard that day in Court and preserved by those means. If this second scenario is what is going on, then obviously there is no plea agreement in place. The wording describing the hearing seems to support this second scenario to me.

Not being familiar with LA law itself, its difficult to determine the exact purpose of this hearing but those are my two best estimations. While its possible, I doubt this hearing is to decide what evidence is admissible at trial and what is not. Typically that is done much closer to an actual trial setting and most times following the filing of motions to exclude certain evidence that are filed by either side.

They didn't allow the reporters in the actual room for his arraignment. They had to watch over video in a completely different building next to the jail. This was all said to be done for "security" purposes. I found it a little ridiculous. No one was rioting or picketing in any way. They may have had other reasons that we don't know about.

I'm guessing they will bring him to the "real" courtroom Friday since there wasn't a big fuss of angry crowds for the arraignment. Just a guess
No, just this little old lady, that would be me..we're invisible. No one pays attention to us. We just talk to reporters, clerks & deputies. :)

I don't know if this was posted, but this video has more explanation of what the hearing on Friday might be about:
http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/#!prettyPhoto/0/

I wonder if they might enter into evidence something that happened to cause BSL to be taken out of jail the day Mickey was found. A confession, or something else including the finding of Mickey.

I agree NewYork625, this is a much better explanation of the probable events of Friday's evidentiary hearing..

Imo, the strategy being used to prosecute BS Lavergne, is straight from the playbook of the Gary Ridgeway prosecution(Kings county,WA)

"Deja vu, or coincidence"?

Proclaimed: ‘The Real Story’ of America’s Deadliest Serial Murder’, the book highlights the lives of Gary Ridgeway’s victims, for which I salute the author; Ann Rule.

For over two decades Ridgeway eluded Law Enforcement while the body count continued to rise and the suspect list of those scrutinized by the Green River Task Force grew into the thousands. Although GR’s first victim Wendy Lee Coffield was discovered in the Green River in July 1982, it wasn’t until almost two decades later, that GR was identified by DNA as the Green River Serial Killer and Arrested.

Ridgeway, was housed in an ultra security cell. GR was arested for soliciting prostitutes two months prior to the discovery of the first victim and was suspected in 1984 & 1987 as being the Green River Serial Killer. He was cleared after passing two polygraphs and convincing LE of his innocence. GR, would let some of his victims live, as well as befriending some for alibis and witnesses to confirm his innocence.

Obviously a psychopath, passing the polygraph was childsplay for him. GR also claimed that there was a Good Gary and an Evil Gary, although LE discounted the claim.

December 5, 2001, although responsible for many tragic murders, GR, was formally charged with the murder of only four victims: Marcia Chapman, Opal Mills, Cynthia Hinds, and Carol Ann Christensen. Ironically in August 1982, in the clenched hand of victim Opal Mills, was a brown Cau. hair yanked from her killer’s head.
It had been bagged, tagged, and misplaced.

The Federal Govt contributed $500,000.00 in Dec 2001, to help pay for DNA tests for 45 more probable victims, where there were no charges yet filed. Several Meetings between Task Force Members and the Proscecutors were held to devise a strategy.

A unique or ‘out of the box’ prosecution strategy was agreed upon that was to be held in the upmost secrecy under the radar of the media and the public, including the victims families.

Their first goal was to locate the previously owned vehicles of Ridgeway’s to check for DNA or other residue. The Green River Task Force was housed in a segregated building and no one outside the Task Force knew the strategy or the avenue of the continuing investigation of the victims where charges hadn’t been filed.

A very tight lid was kept on what was happening behind the scenes. Gary Ridgeway’s attorneys had contacted the Proscecutor to ask if GR might avoid the death Penalty, if he would plead guilty to the original charges and show the location of the undiscovered victims.

On June 13, 2003, the proscecutors and the defense team entered into an agreement: the State would not seek the Death Penalty, but GR, would have to plead guilty to aggravated murder in the 1st degree for all the homicides that he had committed in Kings Co., Wa.
The plea agreement was not revealed to the public or the innocent victims’ families. It was June 2003 when the rumors began: Where was Gary Ridgeway?

It was certain that he was not in the King County Jail, but any info on his whereabouts had been ‘Sealed by a Judge’….

GR Task Force Members and SAR teams were spotted in areas where victim’s remains were previously located. Questions were asked, were proscecutors seeking evidence overlooked or or had they struck up some kind of plea deal with the defense team; Ridgeway’s Life, in exchange for the identity and location of the unknown victims. The plea deal did not include other geographical areas that Ridgeway preyed..

The GR task force personnel wore civilian clothes to remain stealth to the media and behind the heavely tinted glass of the unmarked cars was a Prolific Serial Killer, wearing leg irons and handcuffs. Rumors of where Ridgeway was being out of control. It was reported that he was being kept secured under armed guard in a posh apartment. The public was outraged that he was being held in luxury after the body count that he had amassed.

The GR Task Forces PIO , under this pressure anounced that a cell had been constructed in the Task Force Headquarters and GR was living among the investigators. It was the last place anyone thought to look… There had been no precedent for this strategy..

In order to get in to the head of Ridgeway, although it meant spending so much time with an evil cold blooded killer, tantamount to residing with a noncharismatic Hannibal Lecter, it was necessary to bridge the wall, erected by his team of Attorneys and seek the truth of his Terror Trail. GR had a captive audience and relished the attention paid to him as did Ted Bundy.

Ridgeway would now have the opportunity to gloat over the details of his ghastly deeds.. He made himself available as a subject that was quite willing to participate in marathon interogations. He found pleasure in demonstrating his expertise in the art of of torturous murder, to his ideal audience; the same detectives that he had taunted, remaining oblivious too, for decades. He loved being the focus of their attention.

For the interrogators, it was exausting, disgusting, shocking, traumatic ,frustrating, and very horrific work. The experience would have been and unsettling and traumatic experience for anyone, hundreds of hours of grotesque recollections from a man that apeared totally harmless as he calmly described, raping, torturing, mutilitating, and killing dozens of women in a halting and disspassionate voice. GR stated, “all I wanted to do was have sex with them and kill them.”

When Ridgeway accompanied them on ‘Field Trips’ to the undiscovered Body Dumps, he brightened, smiling in anticipation, as they got closer to his killing fields and trophy areas… The Task Force Team was elated and relieved when Psychiatrists and other FBI BAU Agents flew in to interview Ridgeway. It gave them a much needed break from their journey into the abyss, the darkness.. Although Ridgeway had maps and a sharp recall of the areas where the bodies were dumped, he could not remember his victims faces or names.

When referring to his innocent victims remains, he would say, “I dumped ‘it’ in that location”, meaning that they were objects subject to disposal…
GR, had let some of his intended victims, go free. He would say. “your to cute for a guy like me”. He later admitted that he let them go for future witnesses, in case he should ever need them to verify that he was a good guy and couldn’t possibly be the Green River Serial Killer. After being asked to elaborate on his abnormal sexual desires during childhood, he admitted to frotterism, exposing himself, stalking, voyerism, rape, murder for sexual release, and finally necrophilia.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Green-River-Running-Red-Killer-Americas/dp/0743460502"]Amazon.com: Green River, Running Red: The Real Story of the Green River Killer--America's Deadliest Serial Murderer (9780743460507): Ann Rule: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51vZ-LES3oL.@@AMEPARAM@@51vZ-LES3oL[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoyasalas