New Developments and General Discussion, 08/10/2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a police officer would have to show up at that house to take the stolen truck report. I don't think he could lie about who lived there..they would have a way to check. JMO

2 officers come to the house to make the report. Report states they met with bsl, it does not say if they spoke to the sister. She may not have been home. They have different last names which is not unusual. The officers would have no reason to question if it was his sisters house.
Probably is his sisters house.
I am speculating that maybe it is someone else's house because I wonder if he and his sister were close enough that he would be sleeping over and I wonder if he would try to pull off the truck stolen ruse at her house.
Probably over thinking.

How SO stupid our Cajun language and accent comes across to the outside world! The local media always finds the most unflattering spokespeople to comment news events. Ugggghhhh.

The nation obviously loves it...look at how popular the
"Choot 'em" folks are on the show swamp people lol!

Does anyone know what time on Friday?? Morning or afternoon??

Possibilities:

-terminally ill person
-person who works away-from-home at long periods of time
-transportation-challenged person from another state who is planning on being in town at that time
-person who is currently incarcerated, and whose jailer(s) have arranged for testimony at this specific time to accommodate logistical concerns
-undercover-type person (or someone in the FWPP) whose identity the state/feds seek to protect

Other ideas?

ETA: Jumping off of your idea, CajunLady, perhaps it's his biological father? Long-shot, I know, but perhaps he agreed to testify in exchange for LE protecting his identity.

Could the witness be someone in the military service and will be assigned soon to a new location?

Could the witness be someone in the military service and will be assigned soon to a new location?

could be the officer on duty when he attacked his X-wife...all the domestic calls and they keep a detail record of that stuff too. Police Blotters...maybe that is who will testify...we will see in a little over 48 hours. (sounds better then days)

I don't find the man's accent to be unflattering at all. His accent is a good example of what a true old Cajun accent sounded like. Having grown up around my older relatives who did not learn to speak English until they were adults, I am familiar with the accent, and I MISS hearing people speak like that. I'd give my right arm to be able to hear my PaPa talk to me in that accent!

I so understand what you are saying here! My daddy's first language was French and up until the day he died, he spoke it with his siblings and his friends. My sister and I never learned to speak it because back then, it was considered low class and uncouth. Back in WWII, he was stationed in France and he was even used as an interpreter from time to time, even though there is a difference between Parisian French and Cajun French. He could communicate with the citizens of a town when the others couldn't.
I regret that I didn't pay more attention in my formative years. I can understand a few words, but that's about it.

My grandparents and my daddy spoke Cajun French too. They were from Abbeville. I was well into adulthood before I realized that not everyone from Abbeville spoke French. I still have a hard time not associating the two!

Deja vu..

The Georgia hiker kidnapped on New Year’s Day 2008 from the Appalachian Trail used every ounce of her formidable strength, martial arts training, and wit to stay alive for 3 days, her killer told authorities. Gary Michael Hilton said Meredith Emerson, fought back tenaciously when he demanded her ATM card, and managed to stall him for days, amid several brushes with authorities, by giving him false PIN codes.

Hundreds of people packed a Georgia church yesterday to remember slain hiker Meredith Emerson as both a "firecracker" and an "angel," "Her light is reflected in your eyes," said her mother....

http://www.newser.com/story/22391/killer-georgia-hiker-wouldnt-stop-fighting.html
"She wouldn't stop fighting. And yelling at the same time. So I needed to both control her and silence her,” said Hilton, who said he accosted her because he thought she would be easy prey.

Hilton Admits Killing Meredith Emerson

Gary Hilton pleaded guilty to Meredith Emerson's murder.

DAWSON COUNTY, Ga. — Gary Michael Hilton was sentenced Thursday to life in prison without parole after pleading guilty to murder in the beating-death of a young woman hiker in the north Georgia mountains.A plea agreement means Hilton will be sentenced to life in prison and will avoid the death penalty in this case.
A special grand jury handed down a murder indictment against Hilton Thursday morning. The indictment accuses Hilton of killing Meredith Emerson, 24, by blunt force trauma to the head.
The 61-year-old Hilton entered the guilty plea during a 1 p.m. hearing in Dawson County Superior Court. He attended the hearing in an orange jumpsuit and a bulletproof vest.
Judge Bonnie Oliver asked Hilton how he pleaded. He replied, "Guilty."
He had been indicted on a single count of murder in a specially called session of the Dawson County,GA, grand jury. The indictment charges he killed Meredith Emerson by blunt force trauma to her head on January 4th.

Meredith Emerson Parents Speak at sentencing Hearing

Meredith's father, Dave Emerson, spoke at the hearing and said, in part, "I feel that no punishment for Mr. Hilton is too great. In our civilized society we protect and nurish such heinous criminals as Mr. Hilton by providing three hot meals a day and a warm place to sleep under the watchful eye of officials. I only pray that he suffers immensely for his heinous acts and that even his fellow inmates recognize his evil and malevolence for mankind and treat him with appropriate measures."

Susan Emerson, Meredith's mother, also spoke at the hearing.
"As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as justice in this case. Nothing will bring our daughter back," she said.
"I'm not sorry the death penalty was taken off the table because I feel like that would've been an easy out for him. I feel like he should stay alive and slowly rot."

* GMH, later was tried & received the death penalty in FL for the abduction/murder of 42 year old FSU Nurse Cheryl Hodges Dunlap, and a 2nd plea agreement of 2 LWOPs sentence in a NC Federal Trial for the abduction/murder of 81 year old John & 84 year old Irene Bryant. John was an Attorney/Engineer & Irene Bryant was a large animal Vet. One of the first women vets in this field.

Could Le also be afraid BSL might commit suicide or be killed in prison so they are perpetuating his testimony?

I haven't thought it out yet and I don't see how these pleadings would suggest it, but could the hearing have anything to do with new charges/victims possibly? Those talking about a bomb shell.....any speculation on what it might be. I think it would be ok to speculate just as the rest of us have been.

I haven't gone back and looked at the statute again, but basically wasn't it the statute covering preliminary hearings? And preliminary hearings can be used in lieu of a grand jury. That is what confused many of us after the initial announcement of this hearing...that doesn't this hearing basically serve the same function as what the grand jury did. So, if that's the case and a grand jury already came back with charges on these two cases, maybe the DA is simply using a preliminary hearing in stead of a grand jury since there already charges pending.

Art. 292. Order for preliminary examination before and after indictment

The court, on request of the state or the defendant, shall immediately order a preliminary examination in felony cases unless the defendant has been indicted by a grand jury.

After the defendant has been indicted by a grand jury, the court may rescind its order for a preliminary examination.

An order for a preliminary examination in felony cases may be granted by the court at any time, either on its own motion or on request of the state or of the defendant before or after the defendant has been indicted by a grand jury.

Amended by Acts 1974, Ex.Sess. No. 16, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 1975.

BBM If there are new charges being brought, a grand jury would not have indicted BSL on them yet. Possibly the DA is using the preliminary examination as a means of obtaining that indictment instead of having to wait until a grand jury is reconvened. Just a thought.

I haven't thought it out yet and I don't see how these pleadings would suggest it, but could the hearing have anything to do with new charges/victims possibly? Those talking about a bomb shell.....any speculation on what it might be. I think it would be ok to speculate just as the rest of us have been.
Sorry, I don't know anything just messing w/ ole Nancy girl..I'll be there, though

We have heard for some time now that BSL may be tied to other missing persons/murders. I really am beginning to think that this reason is the most likely.

The other options really don't fit as neatly as this option. It's way to early to be talking about what is admissible. Normally, the title given to this hearing I don't believe is what you would normally see if a guilty plea was being entered. I'm not aware of anyone whose death is imminent, though I suppose that is possible. But new charges would fit perfectly with the title/name of this hearing. JMO What are your thoughts?

We have heard for some time now that BSL may be tied to other missing persons/murders. I really am beginning to think that this reason is the most likely.

The other options really don't fit as neatly as this option. It's way to early to be talking about what is admissible. Normally, the title given to this hearing I don't believe is what you would normally see if a guilty plea was being entered. I'm not aware of anyone whose death is imminent, though I suppose that is possible. But new charges would fit perfectly with the title/name of this hearing. JMO What are your thoughts?
I think new victim(s) as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member