New developments in unsolved Jennings murders

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ran across this interesting information.....nothing to do with the women's deaths but was a little startling.....Jennings police officers killing other Jennings police officers. Sounds like the wild, wild west there :eek:.
Incident Details
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Date of Incident: Saturday, February 5, 2000
Weapon Used: Handgun
Suspect Info: Sentenced to life

Officer Burton LeBlanc was shot and killed after responding to a 911 call for a medical emergency.

As officer LeBlanc and two responding officers approached the door in the carport, the suspect approached from inside and opened fire with a revolver. Officer LeBlanc, who was not wearing a vest, was shot in the arm and chest. The two other officers, who were wearing vests, were also shot and wounded. Officer LeBlanc was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The shooting suspect was a former police officer for the same agency and had just killed another former officer and the former officer's wife. The incident took place at the former officer's home. The killer was arrested after a standoff and charged with several counts of murder and attempted murder. The killer was convicted of murder and sentenced to three life terms without parole plus 25 years.

Officer LeBlanc had been employed with the Jennings Police Department for seven years, and is survived by his wife and child.

Ran across this interesting information.....nothing to do with the women's deaths but was a little startling.....Jennings police officers killing other Jennings police officers. Sounds like the wild, wild west there :eek:.

They should really require psychiatric testing before they hire in their department. If they already have it, they need to improve it.

I agree, Mahmoo, that they are scapegoats. Most likely all have some sort of petty criminal histories; theft, drugs. Local LE seems to have chosen those certain people to arrest as scapegoats if they were friends with the victims, seen with them at some point. It makes me wonder if LE is arresting them in a "threatening manner" if they may have known something as to who the real killer(s) may be. Granted this Nixon guy is a perpetual thief. Connor and Richards have random arrest records too:

"Richard has been convicted of DWI's, charged with battery and assault. Conner has been charged with burglary, theft and trespassing."
http://www.katc.com/global/story.asp?s=6533619

From same article:

"
So far detectives haven't been able to connect Ernestine Patterson, Loretta Lynn Prejean, or Whitnei Dubois to the two suspects. However, witnesses say they saw Richard with Whitnei Dubois in the last few days she was alive. Police are still questioning people. They say more arrests are likely. Detectives know the victims and suspects ran in the same circles, did drugs and had a tight knit group.
"We're going to dig and dig and dig until we get to the bottom of it. That's what we're known for.""

It seems that LE is arresting people who may have been seen with victims before they turned up dead. Tracee Chaisson was the last person to see Lopez alive and Tracee was arrested. It seems more likely that LE is arresting these people to "make sure" they didn't see anything, rather than that they are involved in the murders.

"We're going to dig and dig and dig until we get to the bottom of it. That's what we're known for.""

LE is saying they are known for digging to get to the bottom of it. Hmmm, just like all those arrests with no evidence and having to release the people. Obviously they employ a technique for questioning that isn't effective.

LE is saying they are known for digging to get to the bottom of it. Hmmm, just like all those arrests with no evidence and having to release the people. Obviously they employ a technique for questioning that isn't effective.
red bolding by moi.....

:clap: Touche' :toast:

Agreed! They really need the FBI to take over the whole entire investigation.. which should also include the local police themselves, Jennings; the Sheriffs there and Lord knows who else

No new news but I did find this article. It's about the memorial march held yesterday in memory of Muggy Brown. The article also has a picture of her little boy wearing a t-shirt with his mom's picture on it. Today is her birthday......she would have turned 24.

"JENNINGS - LaConia "Muggy" Brown would have turned 24 years old today.
But her family and friends won't be able to celebrate her birthday with her.
In May, her body was found along a gravel road in Jefferson Davis Parish. She is one of seven women who have been found dead in the parish since 2005. She was doused in bleach, and police said her throat had been slit.
Brown's 3-year-old son, Jahiema, still hasn't grasped what happened to his mother, said Bessie Brown, Muggy Brown's grandmother. She played a major role in raising her granddaughter from infancy and is now doing the same for little Jahiema.
"He woke up this morning and said, 'Today is my mama's birthday,' " Brown said during a march Saturday honoring Muggy Brown's memory. "He asked where she was and if we were going to have a party. I told him she went to get some candy. That's what I've been telling him."
http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20090125/NEWS01/901250325/0/NEWSFRONT2

Her little boy is so adorable! It's a shame someone had to take her life so soon:(
I really hope they call in the FBI for these serial murders, they need the resources and professionalism of Quantico.

I know....her little boy is precious.

I noticed in the article it says when the little boy asks about his mother the family tells him she's gone to get candy :confused:. I realize he's still quite young but I'm not so sure I agree with them telling him that.

I know....her little boy is precious.

I noticed in the article it says when the little boy asks about his mother the family tells him she's gone to get candy :confused:. I realize he's still quite young but I'm not so sure I agree with them telling him that.

I think they should just tell him the truth, it's hard for kids to understand, yet sometimes they do. If the poor little guy thinks she's coming back from getting candy everytime.. best to just try and explain the truth to him.

This is a very long read.....but interesting. This particular statement by the writer stood out :eek::
WE made our bed. Drug dealers didn’t do this to us. WE asked them to do it to us. WE invited them. WE provided incentives for criminals. WE allowed the corruption in our law enforcement agencies. (Don’t be surprised if we find out that a handful of law enforcement officers are bound up in this serial killing business in someway. I won’t be.)
Hmmm :confused:

This is a very long read.....but interesting. This particular statement by the writer stood out :eek::
Hmmm :confused:

Interesting article or should I said rant. I understand perfectly how the writer would be upset over the drug problems in Jennings as so many people are fighting the same thing in their own home towns. What doesn't make too much sense to me is if the women killed were over drug deals wouldn't that reduce the market place for the dealers? Typically, people die over turf wars in drug areas and these women were hardly drug kingpins. As we have been told they were users....end market user.

I still believe the fact that they were vulnerable has more to do with their murder than drugs. And, the fact that there were 7 murdered women. This is very serial vs. very random. What are the statistics for males murdered in a similar fashion in Jennings?

"Residents complained there’s no police presence on the South side; dispatchers routinely ignore calls; and the city doesn’t have any proactive approach to the problem.
The city replied that it runs on a tight budget; has a force of mostly inexperienced officers; and needs more citizen cooperation to help fight the criminals."

..."Unfortunately, the sheriff’s office started ignoring inner city narcotics work long ago. (Didn’t we pass a sales tax for them recently? What exactly have we seen from that again?) Our city police can’t pay qualified officers enough to do much more than cheap traffic stop drug arrests. (Though to be fair, some officers have made public statements that they only intend to do the work they get paid for, which doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in our populace). Citizens on the street make their own situation worse by refusing to testify against or even identify drug dealers to police."
http://www.jenningsdailynews.net/arch_news.php?id=2434

What exactly is the "work they get paid for"? That some officers who made public statements said they will do? Does that not include drug busts? Do they not know how to go about making drug raids? If i were a citizen there, i would be afraid to testify too, not knowing for sure that the police would back me up. The police there should be trained on doing drug stings/raids in that area. That would require the police to go undercover to bust a dealer. They wouldn't need to have citizens testify if they've staked out a place gained all their own evidence and then made a drug raid. Other cities and towns do it, and that is what they are paid to do.
What is this "sales tax" and who was it passed for exactly?

It's almost a "lawless" state there if not already. They can't expect criminals to leave there if they aren't getting arrested. They'll only get more criminals moving there, knowing that they'll get away with murder.
I don't think the Southside asked for this, i'm sure the majority didn't and doesn't want their part of the town turning to chaos. It's the minority of people that make up the drug users, sellers, and criminals that did it, with an obviously incompetent police force.
If the police are too afraid to go to the Southside, and ignore dispatched calls, then they need to all be fired and send in the National Guard in there to stabilize the town until they can have the whole police force replaced. Do they not think busting drug dealers is in their job description?? They think they only get paid enough to do traffic stop drug arrests? Why would they become police officers and then not do what police are supposed to do? To abuse their authority of power? Pick and choose what calls they go to? What are they teaching them at the academy??!!

I wonder what would happen if the serial killer got loose on the northside of town, above the tracks? Would residents be up in arms then? Serial killers, many of them have started out killing types of people such as strawberries, drug users, prostitutes since they know there won't be as much a search or work done by LE when they are found dead. That serial killer(s) may get bored getting away with murder, they decide they want more of a challenge and go over to the northside hunting for prey there. Would police take it seriously then if someone was murdered on the northside? Would they recognize their serial killer then?

I wonder what would happen if the serial killer got loose on the northside of town, above the tracks? Would residents be up in arms then? Serial killers, many of them have started out killing types of people such as strawberries, drug users, prostitutes since they know there won't be as much a search or work done by LE when they are found dead. That serial killer(s) may get bored getting away with murder, they decide they want more of a challenge and go over to the northside hunting for prey there. Would police take it seriously then if someone was murdered on the northside? Would they recognize their serial killer then?

The serial killer (s) will use vulnerability and opportunity and as long as that is available then he will go with what works best for him. The SK's that have been caught in Louisiana had a preference for a certain type of individual. Lee stalked pretty women around areas that he worked and traveled. All had some vulnerability...i.e. single, trusting, confident, etc. Gillis murdered prostitutes as he ran in those circles and actually knew some of them. Domingue murdered young males who were known for prostitution and drug use....again vulnerable.

We all know that Bundy had a thing for attractive females and used a ruse to get their attention. Wournos picked up men traveling and shot them. Patterns the SK's are comfortable with so more effort has to be on victimology to capture this SK. JMO.

We all know drugs can affect anyone, regardless of color, poverty level. What would happen if someone came over from the northside for drugs and got killed on the southside? It's a pretty rural area as opposed to a bigger city. He'd either run out of girls to kill or move on to another place; the risk of being caught would be too much.. unless he's close to LE so can keep an eye on the case. It's apparent that the local LE don't care to do much in the cases involving our girls.

The killer(s) is bold and leaves Muggy on the road to the police shooting range, with bleach poured on her. It shows his boldness and that he is aware of procedures to look for dna and such and knows how to cover that up.

It's not right that residents of Jennings have to live in fear. It shouldn't be like that, regardless of what side of the tracks someone lives on. The police should be intent on catching the killer, regardless of who the victims were. They had families, children that loved them. They deserve better than this. And for those that wear a badge there, it is disgraceful where their priorities lie. They need to take extra classes at the academy so they can learn how to do a drug raid. To protect and to serve, yet they pick and choose what calls they answer, and ignore the southside. Regardless of how much they get paid, they should at least try to look like they are an honor to their badges, instead of looking like uncaring fools.

Don't know if y'all read this article or not.....another interesting one from a "Staff Writer" at the Jennings Daily News. I find it rather intriguing that the writer, as well as other journalists they've spoken with, are apparently just as confused as the rest of us are about the behavior of LE involved in this case.
We want to be grateful that we’re seeing a visible effort from law enforcement – something we can sink our teeth into – but few people we’ve spoken to can figure out why we had to wait so long to see it.
......we can’t call him, her or it a “serial killer.” Perhaps “multiple-homicide-committer,” is an appropriate term?
In our discussions with other journalists over the last three years, they have mirrored our confusion over facts. Some media outlets are told more than others. If you go back and read stories over various media outlets through the years, the story of the murders is like a patchwork, piecemeal, Frankenstein, slowly lumbering into life. Instead of having one, focused message, it’s been catch-as-catch-can.
We can even understand that not every piece of information can be released. What we can’t sit still over is the idea that we’re being played.
There’s an inexplicable contempt for the people of this parish regarding this investigation.
After all, if even the family members can’t get regular updates, what hope do the rest of us have?

I wonder if JDP can impeach the whole LE force there and bring in the national guard under the governor's orders? It sounds really pitiful and the citizens have a right to law and order.

I wonder if JDP can impeach the whole LE force there and bring in the national guard under the governor's orders? It sounds really pitiful and the citizens have a right to law and order.

They really need to, for the well being of the citizens; their police force is unable to protect and serve them right, for whatever reason, then they need to be ousted while the nation guard can keep order.

The "staff writer" is trying to get through to people with metaphors. This poor town.. :(

I have three questions right now.....

• Has a reward fund been established yet? The sheriff himself brought that up at the last press conference.
  • Has the "liaison" between the victim's families and the task force been appointed yet? This too was mentioned by the sheriff during the last press conference.
  • WHO exactly is heading up the "task force"?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back