New Guinea - Amelia Earhart & Fred Noonan, en route to Howland Island, 2 July 1937

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I saw the picture, if her back is to the camera, how can they say that is her?

They seem more certain about Noonan, since he is facing the camera. BBM

(from my earlier link)

The photo, found in a long-forgotten file in the National Archives, shows a woman who resembles Earhart and a man who appears to be her navigator, Fred Noonan, on a dock.

moo

They seem more certain about Noonan, since he is facing the camera. BBM

(from my earlier link)

moo

Oops....If I fully read the caption I would have seen that.,,lol

It looks like People magazine has picked up on this new picture so be looking for an article in that magazine.

[h=1]Amelia Earhart: Does a blurry photo prove she died a Japanese prisoner?[/h]
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40515754

The photograph was released by US TV network NBC ahead of a documentary to run this weekend. If the goal was to drum up attention - and hence audience numbers - it appears to have paid off.

A preview of the programme has two experts backing up the claim by looking at the torso measurements of the woman alleged to be Amelia Earhart in the photo, and teeth and hairline of the figure claimed to be Fred Noonan.

What did you all think of the History Channel program? I didn't see the first 20 minutes or so, have to go back and try to find s evening. The actual evidence is somewhat thin but I never knew there were so many witnesses that claimed to have seen her in the Marshalls or Saipan. I never gave this theory that much credence because I just never saw how she could have possibly ended up in the Marshalls. But this explained how that was very possible. Interesting.

What did you all think of the History Channel program? I didn't see the first 20 minutes or so, have to go back and try to find s evening. The actual evidence is somewhat thin but I never knew there were so many witnesses that claimed to have seen her in the Marshalls or Saipan. I never gave this theory that much credence because I just never saw how she could have possibly ended up in the Marshalls. But this explained how that was very possible. Interesting.

I thought it was well done. Some points:
Pro:

1. The photo was not faked, and it was pre-WWII.

2. It corresponds with the eyewitness accounts, including the ship that supposedly took the aircraft, the Koshu Maru.

3. There was evidence of some activity on the Jaluit.

4. The photo does look a lot like Fred Noonan.

5. There were contemporary accounts that Earhart had been captured.

6. Earhart's radio message regarding "251" could have referred to degrees and not miles.

Those for boost the theory. These don't.

7. The date of the photo is unknown. It could have been taken any time prior to 1942. The Koshu Maru was built in 1911 and sunk in 1945. http://www.combinedfleet.com/koshu_c.htm

8. According to Wiki, the Koshu Maru was 1500 miles away, and an officer of the ship, interviewed in 1982, said that the ship never picked up Earhart, Noonan, and/or the plane. (I will concede that it may have been possible for another ship to have picked them up.)

9. People can look alike (it happened in the Gricar cast). I would need a height/proportion comparison for Noonan as well.

That is interesting about the Koshu Maru. I'll look in to that when/if I have time. Another thing that impressed me about this theory is the fact that several Marines said they were sent to look for and recover her, and a Marine General seemed to confirm that. Whether they actually did find her body or not I don't know, but whats interesting is that the Marine Corp, which is part of the Navy, apparently had reason to believe she was there. But if this were all true, why wouldn't the Navy have announced all of this? What would be the reason for keeping it secret after the war was over?

That is interesting about the Koshu Maru. I'll look in to that when/if I have time. Another thing that impressed me about this theory is the fact that several Marines said they were sent to look for and recover her, and a Marine General seemed to confirm that. Whether they actually did find her body or not I don't know, but whats interesting is that the Marine Corp, which is part of the Navy, apparently had reason to believe she was there. But if this were all true, why wouldn't the Navy have announced all of this? What would be the reason for keeping it secret after the war was over?

Could she have been a spy?

I guess if she were a spy it could explain some things. I never really gave the idea she was an actual spy much serious consideration. Her around the world flight was already pretty dangerous and this was the most dangerous leg of it. Would she really agree to do something even more dangerous? Perhaps it was just more of a situation where the Navy told her that in return for them arranging to have the Coast Guard have a cutter at Howland assist her in finding Howland Island, they needed her to fly over such and such a place and take some photos. The Japanese found the camera and photos when she had to ditch in the Marshall Islands and that is why she was never released and why Noonan was executed as one witness claimed. And its why the Navy never admitted to what actually happened. Just pure speculation, of course. I still think its most likely that she just ran out of gas and crashed into the ocean. But its good to see that there is still interest and people are out there doing research and actually searching for clues.

Why wouldn't she be a spy? Wasn't WWII going on? How is it anymore dangerous to fly around the world during that then to add spy to the list? What great cover....a seemingly harmless woman with a ton of publicity surrounding her for protection over challenged waters. Maybe they didn't comment because it was just bad publicity to have this stunt outed as a spy mission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why wouldn't she be a spy? Wasn't WWII going on? How is it anymore dangerous to fly around the world during that then to add spy to the list? What great cover....a seemingly harmless woman with a ton of publicity surrounding her for protection over challenged waters. Maybe they didn't comment because it was just bad publicity to have this stunt outed as a spy mission.

I rechecked the dates 1937. Guess it wasn't quite WWII YET, but my thoughts still stand.

I believe in the History Channel show they said the US military didn't want to publicly verify the information they had about her possible capture because some of the information was gleaned because the US had broken the Japanese code and were able to understand their radio transmissions. They didn't want to let the Japanese military know this, so kept quiet about what they learned about Earhart's fate. Sounds plausible.

As for the Japanese claiming the Koshu Maru was not in operation at the time, even the witnesses interviewed on Saipan said the Japanese were very secretive. They would likely not give the US accurate information about the ship or it's whereabouts at the time Earhart's plane went missing. They wouldn't do it then or now as they wouldn't want to admit killing her. Saving face and all that. Their culture is very different from ours.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/11/blogger-discredits-claim-amelia-earhart-was-taken-prisoner-by-japan

Claims made in a US documentary that the pioneering aviator Amelia Earhart crash-landed on the Marshall Islands in the Pacific Ocean and was taken prisoner by the Japanese appear to have been proved false by a photograph unearthed in a travel book.

The History Channel documentary, Amelia Earhart: The Lost Evidence, which aired in the US on Sunday, made the claim that the American and her navigator, Fred Noonan, ended up in Japanese custody based on a photograph discovered in the US national archives that purported to show them standing at a harbour on one of the islands.

The film said the image “may hold the key to solving one of history’s all-time greatest mysteries” and suggested it disproved the widely accepted theory that Earhart and Noonan disappeared over the western Pacific on 2 July 1937 near the end of their attempt at a history-making flight around the world.

But serious doubts now surround the film’s premise after a Tokyo-based blogger unearthed the same photograph in the archives of the National Diet Library, Japan’s national library.

The image was part of a Japanese-language travelogue about the South Seas that was published almost two years before Earhart disappeared. Page 113 states the book was published in Japanese-held Palau on 10 October 1935.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/05/amelia-earhart-disappearance-photo-marshall-islands-japan

In the photo, a ship can be seen towing a barge with an airplane on the back, and on a nearby dock what appears to be a woman with a short haircut can be seen sitting, facing away from the camera. Gillespie notes, for what it’s worth, that the woman’s hair is far too long to be that of Earhart, of whom pictures exist from just a few days earlier.

“It wasn’t that long [a period of time] and hair doesn’t grow that fast,” Gillespie said.

JMO, even if it's proven the photograph is from a different time, there's still quite a bit of evidence to support the idea that she was taken prisoner by the Japanese. There are too many first person accounts of seeing her to write it off. The scenario for her turning back west and ending up on the island after reaching low fuel is plausible.

Oh man, I bet the History Channel execs are horrified if that photo connection is already crumbling. Whoever produced that show will have some explaining to do. Sort of funny. But as Betty said, there is still a lot of evidence for the Marshall Island scenario. And this History Channel show led me to start looking at that possibility more. Ric Gillespie that leads the search on Gardner Island is working hard to dispute everything. I think he is worried his donations to his searches will dry up.

Oh man, I bet the History Channel execs are horrified if that photo connection is already crumbling. Whoever produced that show will have some explaining to do. Sort of funny. But as Betty said, there is still a lot of evidence for the Marshall Island scenario. And this History Channel show led me to start looking at that possibility more. Ric Gillespie that leads the search on Gardner Island is working hard to dispute everything. I think he is worried his donations to his searches will dry up.

I was wondering about the other guy's search, LOL.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skoorboh54
Back