New Search 9/12/2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM
I believe that "recent" means, in this case, that the site was disturbed within 10 years, which would fit within the time that SP went missing. Any timeframe beyond 10 years could mean that the remains are that of a pioneer, native american, asian (there was an internment camp nearby from what I understand) or it could some other person who has been missing for a very, very long time.
I hope that this is helpful. I am not an expert but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)
Like you, I hope that this find will be of some help to the family of SP. I also pray for the children's safety.
Take care,
DQ

I don't think by the description given that they were talking about a disturbance within the past ten years. I think they were talking much more recently than that....maybe as little as a week, two weeks.

Based on the info I just posted above, I'm leaning towards tissue (organs..? :() or maybe teeth - like a jaw? I wonder if someone removed her jaw/teeth because they know if the body was found elsewhere with teeth, then she could readily be identified. But perhaps the 'remains' were found in reverse order? Teeth/jaw first? Really, I'm just grasping at straws and thinking out loud. It just seems so puzzling...

Hmm. I don't know. That's a good question.

Darn. I need a helicopter, to go see what they're doing!

Me, too! :) They say the anthropologist checked the bones - yet they now say the dogs hit and they are digging, they are about a foot deep and 2 feet wide, but no remains found yet. That would have to be another site, right? I'm confused! :(

BBM:
:floorlaugh: "Today I have roasted turkey (named him JOSH)"

It is always good to name your food for people you are angry with. You can chew, nosh, and grind them into a pulp and not be charged with any crime. Feels good huh?

I'm actually not angry with josh, I find him to be pathetic. The reference was to the fact that he's done, stick a fork in him. Your analogy works well too. :)

I'm not sure about the court, but murder is generally a state charge unless you kill a federal employee like in OKC. And then, I believe the punishment can only be as severe as the laws in which the crime was committed will allow.

I agree. I would think, in this case, it would have more to do with where the murder was presumed to have been commited. :waitasec:

Also, I wonder if they found a few bones, determined they were human (and not 'ancient') and THEN found a burial site?

Kiirs Kiirsi Hellewell
Shocked to hear from @KUTV2News that no 'remains' found yet. Dogs still alerting. PD digging carefully. #findsusan

I'm putting my faith in the dogs & experts. I have to.

Merritt said the region had been on West Valley police's list of places to check off for quite awhile and they were not led here because of information collected from other recent searches in Ely, Nev., and Puyallup, Wash.
They say they are going to take their time and do everything carefully, which is why they didn't start trying to extract the remains Wednesday night.

"We thought, 'Let's be careful, let's be cautious. Let's use the sunlight. We'll have the whole day to our advantage,'" Merritt said.

Utah State Medical Examiner Dr. Todd Grey
(male ME)

Me, too! :) They say the anthropologist checked the bones - yet they now say the dogs hit and they are digging, they are about a foot deep and 2 feet wide, but no remains found yet. That would have to be another site, right? I'm confused! :(

Maybe they found a little piece?

I don't know if this clarifies anything about the 'remains' or makes it even more confusing (bum):

I'm guessing they're not skeletal remains but dust (sorry don't know what the scientific term would be)? I hope I'm wrong though and they have something that can be identified. :sigh:

3 years is not a long time to have the remains turn into dust so I'm wondering if the perp did something to the remains ....burning the body? Charred remains, perhaps?

Speculation on my part based on the confusing statement.

Thank you. I have to give LE so much credit in this case. They will not give up until they find Susan. Incredible dedication. :rose:

They need to go to Darden, tn next. Ooops...did I say that out loud?

BBM: I agree and I appreciate the information about the Feds needing to authorize the ME to go on the property.

I have always needed to be reminded that speculating or assuming is not helpful.

You were. Merci Beaucoup!

Speculation is good. Makes us all THINK. lol

I'm guessing they're not skeletal remains but dust (sorry don't know what the scientific term would be)? I hope I'm wrong though and they have something that can be identified. :sigh:

3 years is not a long time to have the remains turn into dust so I'm wondering if the perp did something to the remains ....burning the body? Charred remains, perhaps?

Speculation on my part based on the confusing statement.

But bones are really hard to burn. They need high, high heat.

I know that the focus is Susan here - and I know that they were specifically looking for her. However, could it be possible that this is Joseph Bushling? IF he met with foul play, they may have brought him in this direction... Just pondering...

I pray that Susan's family will receive some closure soon! I cannot even begin to fathom the pain that they feel daily.

I'm not sure about the court, but murder is generally a state charge unless you kill a federal employee like in OKC. And then, I believe the punishment can only be as severe as the laws in which the crime was committed will allow.

HLJ, I just wanted to say that we know this is your friend that we are speculating about, concerning particulars. I can't tell you how sorry I am that you have to go through this; I've never met Susan but she has touched my heart and her loss has brought tears to my eyes. I can't imagine how it has been for you. Susan is lucky to have you as a friend and advocate. take care

natecarlisle Nate Carlisle
Search for #SusanPowell and excavation stopped for night. Will resume about 9 a.m. Friday. Chuck Cox to be here, too. #findSusan

Maybe they found a little piece?

IMHO, if they only found a little piece, they would not need ME to come to the sight. I would think that they would take that to the lab to analyze and they would only need a forensics team to sift and take the important "stuff" to the lab. The ME is coming to the scene to see if male/female and age can be determined. That to me means that they believe there is at least most of a body present.

It actually won't even be two years until December. I honestly don't think the bones would have had time to disintegrate to the degree of dust.

Ah, so maybe they haven't actually found anything, other than disturbed ground, and a hit from the dogs.

Wondering the same. I thought they had found actual remains (bones)...but this could be an article of clothing from a decomposed person, the article or weapon used in a homocide, a blanket or plastic, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benjysmom