GUILTY NH - Abby Hernandez, 14, North Conway, 9 Oct 2013 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.wmur.com/news/pretrial-hearing-scheduled-in-kibby-case/32335158

<snipped> BBM;
"Kibby has entered pleas of not guilty on all charges and is being held on $1 million bail.

Judge Larry Smukler met in chambers Monday with attorneys involved in the case to set a trial schedule. Court officials said the Kibby case will be the only case on Smukler's schedule next year"

His only case all year? Is that normal?

MOO

Hmm...Maybe they expect the trial to be exceptionally long? That does seem odd to me, too.

ETA: or maybe he knows that he'll need a long vacation after hearing arguments?

Hmm...Maybe they expect the trial to be exceptionally long? That does seem odd to me, too.

ETA: or maybe he knows that he'll need a long vacation after hearing arguments?

The trial date is like 18 months from his arrest. Is the judge expecting to do a lot of preparation himself between January and March?

I dunno!

MOOO

The trial date is like 18 months from his arrest. Id the judge expecting to do a lot of preparation himself between January and March?

I dunno!

MOOO

I was wondering about that: how much does a judge "prepare" for a trial? They are involved in all of the pretrial motions and what not, I would guess, but can they actually familiarize themselves with the details of the case? Or do they have to wait for oral arguments?

ETA: looking at my questions, they seem so ignorant. I just haven't ever really thought about what the judge knows before the trial starts. :blush:

I was wondering about that: how much does a judge "prepare" for a trial? They are involved in all of the pretrial motions and what not, I would guess, but can they actually familiarize themselves with the details of the case? Or do they have to wait for oral arguments?

I swear in the Aaron Hernandez trial the judge had to approve every question asked of every witness.

ETA: looking at my questions, they seem so ignorant. I just haven't ever really thought about what the judge knows before the trial starts. :blush:

I just never thought about it either - The Judge is not a juror so he is not going to sit and wait for the case to unfold. Everything presented must be legally vetted beforehand I would think plus anticipate evidentiary concerns, objections, etc. The victim's going to be in college before Kibby gets sentenced.

At one point in his career my father was a law clerk for a bankruptcy judge. My dad's job was basically prepping the judge. The judge would view all the motions and accompanying information and my dad would also prepare blurbs for the judge about any relevant sections of the law that might come into play.

We also have a close family friend who was a supreme judge for our state's district court. My sister did her clerkship with him to join the Bar in our state. She did the same kind of thing, writing briefs about relevant laws that might come into play in a case.

So based on that, I would say there is a lot of preparation done by the judge for every trial.

Sure seems an awfully long wait until trial. Seems so unfair to the victim!

I stumbled on these hearing videos yesterday and don't see that they were posted.

Feb 19 hearing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkxkpqe43m8

March 4 hearing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ8Tz2-3y1g

Also, you should be able to just click on this link and get all of the NK court videos--it looks like WMUR is going to be posting all of them:

https://www.youtube.com/user/wmurtv/search?query=kibby

Thank you, I had not looked at the WMUR YouTube site. It's great to have them all in one place.

Bumping

:bump:

Just because.

It's keeping me awake.

MOO

It was 1 year ago today that this girl was returned home after 9 months of hell.
Her Mother never gave up HOPE.

I hope she and her Mom are healing and thriving. Kibby still sits in jail thank God but justice is still a long way off.

MOO

It was 1 year ago today that this girl was returned home after 9 months of hell.

I hope she and her Mom are healing and thriving. Kibby still sits in jail thank God but justice is still a long way off.

MOO

I still think of her often! She was the case that brought me to websleuths and while I never usually do the trial threads, I will definitely be following all the way through on this one.

I too hope the family is healing and making happy memories!

MOO

Wow, that year went so fast!! I hope AH is doing well and healing, I think of her and her family often. There are a few cases that really have grabbed me and held on tight and AH's is one if those that did, she will forever have a special place in my heart, along with ZH who is an incredibly strong lady, I think A takes after her Mom a lot and together they will get through the next year, when hopefully we will have justice :)

Bumping

:bump:

Just because.

It's keeping me awake.

MOO

(Quoting myself, sorry, lol)
And then, after someone kindly reminded me about today, I realized why it was keeping me awake! I can be so dense!

Yes this is that case for me too. Honestly thousands of hearts still hold a place and will, until justice is done.
Especially for Her, Mom, Sis and the pups.
Also for the whole crew who worked tirelessly - and then so many people who gave their time, ideas, signs, sharing and etc.

Signs - OMG I was reminded today when I found out that MA State Police are getting digital Billboards to advertise that sweet little baby found on Deer Island in Boston. (Oh take another little piece of my heart now.)
https://www.facebook.com/MassStatePolice/photos/pcb.857339901016661/857338384350146/?type=1&theater
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...land-Boston-Harbor-Female-Toddler-June-2015-2

Billboards! Where did I see that idea before!

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks
Back