GUILTY NH - AH, 14, North Conway, 9 October 2013 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That last link....left me speechless..

You would be surprised at the whole "Lifestyle" out there, where thousands have the fantasy of being 'taken' or 'kidnapped' and held, raped, etc. It's a fantasy to many, that never becomes reality, but I will say, there are those who are looking to actually fulfill that desire, and many who have.

It's a fetish, fantasy, lifestyle for many .... nothing surprised me anymore.

Edited to add: I am NOT implying in ANY way, that Abby is included in what I stated above. Just posting information.

I feel confident that the defense team going in knew full well what the sentence would be......everyone is buying time at this point.

seemed to me that there was extensive bargaining going on right there in the courtroom between the DA and defense, why did they offer him any chance at bail at all? he kidnapped a 14 year old and held her against her will for 9 months, with a strong implication of sexual assault in the charges and wording in court, why didnt they argue he was an imminent threat to the public if released under any conditions?

if some lunatic that has been following this case puts up a million dollars this guy is on the street tonight...

I think Jane Young is just keeping her hand really close in this case. There are so many variables, and there's so much speculation.

I love her. She's a real professional, intelligent person.

I'm glad someone else noticed. I don't want to feel critical about her appearance. Just stating that due to my experience, people don't always look "sick/unhealthy" to a lot of outsiders. This poor girl had to become a woman way too early. Her eyes show so many different emotions, I understand what her mom was saying about the look in her eyes when she got home.
I also agree at how brave and stoic the family is/has been! It truly is amazing. Of course I'm sure the family wouldn't want to put Abby through more by getting arrested for assaulting her alleged kidnapper. That could be why her father was not seen in court. Men typically have a harder time keeping themselves restrained, especially when it comes to someone harming their daughter. I don't think it was confirmed either way whether he was there but nobody saw him, and in my opinion it could have played a part. He may have known he would have gone crazy upon seeing him? JMO

Poor thing. She looked thin, pale and somewhat drawn to me- but tough....and no longer a little girl.

This is experience has changed her forever. I hope he can talk to others, like Elizabeth Smart, so she can realize she's still her and can recover from the past.

from tlcya's post:

any indication Abby knew Kibby beforehand
Young: still part of the investigation.

I don't understand...either you do or don't know someone. it's not a grey area.

Well, when they said they weren't sure if t was a kidnapping or a runaway situation and indicated Abby may not have been fully cooperating, thy we're being purposefully evasive. I think they fully knew but were developing evidence so they could grab him before he fled.

Now, they may be developing more evidence. Perhaps he stalked her or
lured her. They want to keep what they know from the defense as long as possible.

Also, they may still be piecing it together. Abby may have met him but can't remember. But he did and became fixated. And LE are gathering the evidence.

These things really take time.

So State Law in New Hampshire for kidnapping can be a Felony Class B with a max 7 years? Seems people need to band together and get that punishment amended.

Oh, I have no doubt other charges will be added to enhance that.

My big question is why this jerk stayed in his trailer as if his life would contue in normal fashion after releasing AH??

He probably narcissistically felt he had her well enough controlled that she wouldn't talk.

Let me preface this by saying that I am very glad his bail was set so high. But, does anyone else find it kind of odd that it was set for a million? I would've expected more charges to be added for it to be that high.
Also I wonder why his DA didn't argue with the amount. Wouldn't the state have had to give up more info to justify the amount?

If the guy is broke enough to need a public defender it probably doesn't matter if it's in the thousands or millions. (Did I hear correctly at the outset that he had $5 in his account?--which actually made him and his atty smile slightly.)

So if he's not getting out regardless, in that sense the actual amount didn't matter to the atty. But I did hear Friedman say that he would save his comments regarding the "appropriateness" of that bail amount at the next hearing when probable cause would be discussed. The appearance of heinousness associated with such a bail DOES matter to his atty. JMO

TRANSCRIPT OF PRESSER (APOLOGIES FOR CAPS)

ATTORNEY GENERAL JANE YOUNG. GOOD MORNING, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

FBI AGENT AND MYSELF WILL BE MAKING BRIEF COMMENTS.

THE DETAILS THAT WE ARE ABLE TO PROVIDE AT THIS TIME ARE LIMITED. OUR GOAL NOW IS TO ENSURE THAT WE ARE ABLE TO KEEP THIS CASE TO THE FULLEST EXTENT. WE ARE NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING TO COMPROMISE THAT BY GIVING DETAILS THAT WE ARE NOT PERMITTED.

AGAIN, IT WILL BE ATTORNEY GENERAL JOSEPH FOSTER, FBI AGENT KEIRAN RAMSEY AND MYSELF JANE YOUNG.

GOOD AFTERNOON. NINE MONTHS AGO, I LEARNED OF THE DISAPPEARANCE OF ABBY HERNANDEZ. IMMEDIATELY THEREAFTER, LAW ENFORCEMENT AT ALL LEVELS CAME TOGETHER TO JOIN FORCES AND BEGIN A FULL VERSION -- INVESTIGATION TO FIND ABIGAIL. THE MIC FBI -- FBI AND MEMBERS OF MY OFFICE FROM THE CA -- COUNTY HAVE NEVER STOPPED. THE INTENSITY OF THAT INVESTIGATION AND THE ACTIONS SPARKED THE COMMUNITY AND THE REGION INTO THE SEARCH EFFECTS WHICH IS HELPFUL FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT. SOME CRITICIZED THE INTENSITY OF THE LAW THE -- THE INTENSITY AND EVERYONE INVOLVED. TEN DAYS AGO, ABIGAIL RETURNED HOME. I'M CONVINCED IT WAS THE INTENSITY OF THE INVESTIGATION, THE CONTINUED VIGILANCE OF THIS COMMUNITY AND ABIGAIL'S OWN ACTIONS TO LEAD TO HER SAFE RETURN FOR WHICH WE ARE GRATEFUL.

I WANT TO THANK A NUMBER OF FOLKS FOR THE HARD WORK THAT THEY HAVE PUT IN AND THE HARD WORK WILL COME AS THE INVESTIGATION CONTINUES. SERGEANT JOE EBERT AND THE CRIME UNIT. SCOTT O'DONNELL AND KEIRAN RAMSEY AND THEIR TEAM AT FBI. THE ENTIRE CONWAY POLICE DEPARTMENT. ROBIN GORDON. JANE YOUNG FROM MY OFFICE AND THE VICTIM WITNESS ADVOCATES FROM OUR OFFICE AND THE CARROLL COUNTY OFFICE.

I'M GOING TO TURN IT OVER TO RAMSEY TO PROVIDE A FEW MORE DETAILS. THIS IS AN ONGOING INVESTIGATION. WE TAKE OUR ETHICS SERIOUSLY AND CANNOT TRY OUR CASE IN THE MEDIA. LITTLE IN THE WAY OF SUBSTANTIVE INFORMATION WILL BE PROVIDED AT THIS TIME. WE WILL ANSWER PROCEDURAL TIMELINE QUESTIONS. UNDERSTAND THAT SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS CAN'T BE ANSWERED AT THIS TIME. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

KEIRAN RAMSEY WITH THE FBI.
THE ARREST MADE YESTERDAY MORNING ARE THE RESULT OF THREE FACTORS. THE FIRST THING THE COMMUNITY OF CONWAY FOR GIVING ITS ALL AND NEVER GIVING UP ON HANDING OUT FLYERS, SEARCHING THE WOODS, CREATING SOCIAL MEDIA SITES AND KEEPING IT ALIVE IN THE MEDIA. THEY DID NOT LET ANYONE FORGET ABOUT ABBY. THE SECOND FACTOR IS THE TEAM YOU SEE BEHIND ME. THE NEW HAMPSHIRE ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE, COUNTLESS OTHER AGENCIES, STATE, LOCAL AND FEDERAL, ACROSS THE COUNTRY AS WE INVESTIGATED EVERY TIP AND LEAD, WHATEVER IT TOOK US. WE IN SIMPLE TERMS DID NOT LET ANY LEAD GO UNPURSUED.

WE USE THE MOST SOPHISTICATED INVESTIGATIVE TOOLS IN THIS CASE TO SOME OF THE MOST COMMON INVESTIGATIVE TECHNIQUES. LAST BUT NOT LEAST, IT'S ABBY HERSELF THAT HELPED HER SAFE RETURN. HER COURAGE AND RESOLVE TO RETURN HOME THE WAY SHE DID SPEAKS FOR ITSELF. THIS IS AN UNUSUAL CASE. WE HAVE SEEN OUR WORST FEARS PROVEN TRUE, BUT WE HAVE SEEN OUR BEST HOPES REALIZED. THAT'S WHY ABBY IS HERE WITH US TODAY.

JANE?

JANE YOUNG.
I CAN PROVIDE YOU A BRIEF TIMELINE ON WHAT HAS TRANSPIRED SINCE ABBY WAS MISSING AND WHAT HAS HAPPENED IN THE LAST EIGHT DAYS. SPEAK UP A BIT. OKAY.

ON OCTOBER 9TH, AS YOU ARE ALL AWARE, ABBY AS WE HAVE SAID OVER AND OVER AGAIN VANISHED ON HER WAY HOME. LAST SUNDAY JULY 20TH, RETURNED TO HER MOTHER WHO NEVER GAVE UP HOPE. I CAN SAY THAT I'M NOT SURE IN THE LAST NINE MONTHS IF THERE WAS ONE DAY THAT DIDN'T GO BY THAT WE WERE NOT DISCUSSING THIS CASE OR WORKING ON THIS CASE. SINCE SHE CAME HOME, I DON'T THINK THAT THERE HAS BEEN ONE HOUR THAT HAS GONE BY THAT THIS TEAM HASN'T BEEN WORKING TO FIND OUT WHERE SHE HAS BEEN, BRING THE INDIVIDUALS OR INDIVIDUAL TO JUSTICE.

AS WE INDICATED, THIS ARREST IS THE FIRST STEP IN THIS CASE. AS THE COMPLAINT INDICATES, ABBY WAS KIDNAPPED HERE IN CONWAY. AS YOU ARE ALL AWARE, SEARCHES ARE ONGOING RIGHT NOW AT MR. KIBBY'S RESIDENCE. IF THERE'S ADDITIONAL EVIDENCE THAT OTHER CRIMES WILL BE COMMITTED, THOSE CHARGES WILL BE BROUGHT.

THAT RESIDENCE IS IN ANOTHER COUNTY. WE LEARNED ON SUNDAY NIGHT THAT THERE WAS SUFFICIENT INFORMATION AT THAT TIME TO SEEK AND OBTAIN AN ARREST WARRANT AND SEARCH WARRANT. THE SWAT TEAM WAS UTILIZED AT 4:00 IN THE MORNING WHEN THE SWAT TEAM ARRIVED AND THEY PLANNED THROUGH THE NIGHT THE BEST AND SAFEST WAY TO APPREHEND MR. KIBBY. THAT WAS DONE YESTERDAY AT NOONTIME. AGAIN, BECAUSE OF THE PLANNING OF THE SWAT TEAM, THE INPUT FROM THE MAJOR CRIME UNITS AND THE INVESTIGATORS, THE DEFENDANT WAS ARRESTED WITHOUT INCIDENT. THERE WAS NO HARM TO HIM. AND THERE WAS NO HARM TO ANYBODY WHO LIVES IN THAT NEIGHBORHOOD.

AT THIS POINT, THE SEARCH CONTINUES. THE RESIDENCE IS BEING SEARCHED. I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW LONG THAT WILL GO ON. DEPENDING ON THAT SUFFER -- SEARCH REVEALS, THERE MAY BE OTHER SEARCHES. THE ATTENTION THAT WE HAVE GIVEN THIS CASE IN THE THE LAST MONTH WILL CONTINUE. WE WILL CONTINUE TO SEE THAT JUSTICE IS DONE NOT ONLY FOR ABBY, BUT EVERYBODY ELSE. WE INDICATED THAT ALTHOUGH SHE WAS A MISSING GIRL, SHE WAS 14 AT THE TIME. AS AGENT RAMSEY SAID, SOMETIMES OUR WORST FEARS ARE REALIZED. THIS CHILD IS HOME, SHE'S RELATIVELY SAFE. AND JUST KNOW THAT IF ANOTHER CHILD GOES MISSING IN THE STATE, WE WILL HAVE THE SAME RESOURCES PUT TO FINDING THE CHILD AND MAKING SURE THEY ARE UNITED WITH THEIR FAMILY.

WE CAN TAKE A LIMITED NUMBER OF QUESTIONS. AS I INDICATED BECAUSE THIS IS AN ONGOING CRIMINAL CASE, THERE'S VERY LITTLE WE CAN SAY. I DON'T WANT TO PUT OUT SENSE OF FRUSTRATION THAT WE ARE NOT TELLING YOU ANYTHING. ABBY IS HOME, WE HAVE ENOUGH INFORMATION. WE HAVE SECURED AN ARREST AND OUR FOCUS IS NOW GOING TO BE ON THE SUCCESSFUL PROSECUTION OF MR. KIBBY FOR WHATEVER CRIMES HE HAS COMMITTED IN THE COURSE OF THE PAST NINE MONTHS.

IT'S A KIDNAPPING CASE? THAT'S WHAT HE'S CHARGED WITH

[INAUDIBLE QUESTION] HE'S CHARGED WITH KIDNAPPING. THAT'S PART OF THE INVESTIGATION. THE DURATION OF WHAT TRANSPIRED DURING THAT INVESTIGATION.

ARE THERE ANYMORE SUSPECTS? AT THIS TIME, THERE WAS ONLY ONE ARREST WARRANT THAT WAS ISSUED. WE DO NOT HAVE INFORMATION THAT THERE WAS ANYONE ELSE. I WANT TO ALLEVIATE THE CONCERN ABOUT THAT. TO THE EXTENT THAT THE INFORMATION REVEALS THAT SOMEONE ELSE IS IN THIS, WE WILL LOOK AT THAT.

[INAUDIBLE QUESTION] THAT'S STILL PART OF THE ONGOING INVESTIGATION. SO I DON'T LOOK LIKE A PING-PONG BALL, I WILL WORK IT AROUND THAT WAY.

[INAUDIBLE QUESTION] WE INDICATED THAT SHE WAS HOME SAFE LIVE. SAFELY. I CANNOT GET INTO THE DETAILS. I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW A CHILD LIKE THAT CAN GET THROUGH THE NINE MONTHS, BUT SHE HAS DONE THAT. THAT CONCLUDES TO US THAT SHE HAS A LEVEL OF STRENGTH THAT I'M NOT SURE ANY OF US HAS.

[INAUDIBLE QUESTION] I CANNOT.

ANY INDICATION THAT SHE KNEW HIM PRIOR TO THE KIDNAPPING? I CAN'T TELL YOU, WHEN WE HAVE THAT INFORMATION, WE WOULD CONSIDER THAT.

[INAUDIBLE QUESTION]. WHAT I CAN SAY TO YOU IS THAT WE HAD INFORMATION SUFFICIENT TO GET A SEARCH WARRANT TO LOOK AT THAT HOME.

[INAUDIBLE QUESTION] ALL I CAN SAY TO YOU, IT'S BEEN MORE THAN 24 HOURS. CERTAINLY QUESTIONS THAT WE ARE GOING TO ASK. QUESTIONS THAT WE ARE GOING TO FIND THE ANSWERS TO. WE ARE GOING TO DO A COMPREHENSIVE INVESTIGATION ABOUT MR. KIBBY AND HIS 1/5S. WE WILL HAVE THOSE ANSWERS BY THE TIME THAT WE COME TO TRIAL.

I MADE THE ONE PASS AROUND. THANK YOU. THE NEXT MATTER WILL BE, THERE WILL BE A PROBABLE CAUSE HEARING THAT COULD BE SCHEDULED. ADDITIONAL DETAILS PROVIDED TO THE COURT AT THAT TIME. ON A PERSONAL NOTE, I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANK YOU, YOU ARE ALL HERE. HER PICTURE IS UP ALL OVER. THE CRIME IS NOT A HOMICIDE. THANK YOU ALL FOR NEVER GIVING UP. HAVE A GOOD DAY, THANK YOU.

http://www.wmur.com/news/raw-video-authorities-hold-news-conference-after-kibby-arraignment/27209634#!bp4tZ3

seemed to me that there was extensive bargaining going on right there in the courtroom between the DA and defense, why did they offer him any chance at bail at all? he kidnapped a 14 year old and held her against her will for 9 months, with a strong implication of sexual assault in the charges and wording in court, why didnt they argue he was an imminent threat to the public if released under any conditions?

if some lunatic that has been following this case puts up a million dollars this guy is on the street tonight...

The defense atty stated several times that, with the affidavits being sealed at this point, he was not in a position to defend/advise his client. So (just my hunch, here), I believe Jane whispered him over to let him know if he agreed to the $million bail, that she wouldn't go into probable cause right now (that going into was what the defense was so against...and rightly so, as he didn't have access to their findings so that he could even advise or perform defense duties). I believe Jane proceeded smartly...protecting AH & family from press getting hold of all they know right now, but also throwing the defense a bone (not going into all his client's negative history to set bail). But I'm no lawyer...JMO.

Respectfully it was not stated at the press conference that there was no other person or persons involved in this crime. What was stated is that there is an ongoing investigation ad that if other arrests are warranted they will be made. The search of Mr. Kibby's property is still happening. If there are others involved that aspect will be investigated.

That is not the same as saying "we know for a fact this man acted alone"

JMO

Here is the presser so people can hear the statements questions and answers from the horse's mouth. http://www.wmur.com/news/raw-video-...ence-after-kibby-arraignment/27209634#!bp4P7u

JMO, but I didn't catch any implication at all of sexual assault today. (Though it may come out in future charges.) I may have missed it, though.

her quote is "at this time there was only one arrest warrant issued. We do not have information that there is anybody else so I want to alleviate the public concern about that. To the extent that the investigation reveals that somebody else was involved in this then we will look at that . . ."

MOO they are not 100% sure there was no one else involved but they have no specific info at this time leading them to believe there was

Respectfully it was not stated at the press conference that there was no other person or persons involved in this crime. What was stated is that there is an ongoing investigation ad that if other arrests are warranted they will be made. The search of Mr. Kibby's property is still happening. If there are others involved that aspect will be investigated.

That is not the same as saying "we know for a fact this man acted alone"

JMO

Here is the presser so people can hear the statements questions and answers from the horse's mouth. http://www.wmur.com/news/raw-video-...ence-after-kibby-arraignment/27209634#!bp4P7u
I corrected my summation of that quote.

whether or not the defendant is broke or a billionaire has nothing to do with arguing that he cannot be given bail at any amount, that was not done here.

JMO, but I didn't catch any implication at all of sexual assault today. (Though it may come out in future charges.) I may have missed it, though.

the statute they charged him under and the use of only her initials in court.

"We have seen our worst fears proven true, but we have seen our best hopes realized." That line really hit me......what an amazing girl.

http://www.wildabouttrial.com/one_off/new-hampshire-man-arraigned-in-teens-kidnapping/

talking about court today.

I know it has been said previously that she was kept in a box/shed of some sort, I have read it on here a few times but can't find a news article that states that. Can anyone help me with this? I just want to make sure i'm not reading rumors. TIA

It's a CNN article previously linked. I don't have it handy, sorry.

Found a different link @ post 162

the statute they charged him under and the use of only her initials in court.

Well, here's where I'd love an atty to weigh in. (anateresa?) True, they used her initials in court. And it's my opinion that it's highly likely sexual issues will come up at trial (with attending charges). But the charges themselves (as they stand today) do NOT imply sexual assault (to my knowledge). They are the same charges that could be applied to a parent who illegally harbored/concealed their child from the custodial parent. There is no sexual innuendo in those charges themselves. "With purpose to commit offense against her" covers a broad range of 'harm' even the general harm involved in not being with the custodial parent ("endangering welfare").

i think the idea that she was kept in the shipping container is still just rumor at this point, but i have not seen all the news today (responding to swannie) seems like frightening but reasonable possibility tho :(

and before accusations get lobbed my way again - i think no matter what the details end up looking like that this guy is a threat that should be contained. i have no sympathy for him.

i guess im just a stickler for facts, to a fault... sue me. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members