GUILTY NH - AH, 14, North Conway, 9 October 2013 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.wildabouttrial.com/one_off/new-hampshire-man-arraigned-in-teens-kidnapping/

talking about court today.

I know it has been said previously that she was kept in a box/shed of some sort, I have read it on here a few times but can't find a news article that states that. Can anyone help me with this? I just want to make sure i'm not reading rumors. TIA

As reported in media, it's still 'hearsay'-neighbors of NEK's saying they 'thought' maybe he kept her in there. No confirmation by LE. And if the hearsay were true, that they knew she was kept in there, we'd then have to wonder why it wasn't reported by them earlier. I think it was a case of neighbors being caught up in the excitement and speculation at the time of the arrest. JMO.

http://www.wildabouttrial.com/one_off/new-hampshire-man-arraigned-in-teens-kidnapping/

I know it has been said previously that she was kept in a box/shed of some sort, I have read it on here a few times but can't find a news article that states that. Can anyone help me with this? I just want to make sure i'm not reading rumors. TIA
I posted links here -->>> http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...er-2013-13-**ARREST**&p=10801025#post10801025

The tweets linked were the first reports. LE has not confirmed the claim, however. It was reported to the media by Kibby's neighbor(s).

ETA: Hear the neighbor at :50 in the video linked below.

http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/local/2014/07/28/arrest-made-in-abigail-hernandez-case/13304519/

Well, here's where I'd love an atty to weigh in. (anateresa?) True, they used her initials in court. And it's my opinion that it's highly likely sexual issues will come up at trial (with attending charges). But the charges themselves (as they stand today) do NOT imply sexual assault (to my knowledge). They are the same charges that could be applied to a parent who illegally harbored/concealed their child from the custodial parent. There is no sexual innuendo in those charges themselves. "With purpose to commit offense against her" covers a broad range of 'harm' even the general harm involved in not being with the custodial parent ("endangering welfare").

I'm
Really hoping for a plea agreement so she's spared the ordeal of a trial.
She's already had 9 months stolen from her and has a whole lotta healing to do.

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Little information about Abigail's kidnapping, captivity or release has emerged, but [/FONT]NBC affiliate NECN[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular] quoted sources as saying she was locked up in a container on Kibby's trailer-park lot in Gorham.

[/FONT]
nc_teenheldcaptive_140729.nbcnews-video-reststate-560.jpg

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nathaniel-kibby-held-1m-bail-abigail-hernandez-kidnap-n167591

Well, here's where I'd love an atty to weigh in. (anateresa?) True, they used her initials in court. And it's my opinion that it's highly likely sexual issues will come up at trial (with attending charges). But the charges themselves (as they stand today) do NOT imply sexual assault (to my knowledge). They are the same charges that could be applied to a parent who illegally harbored/concealed their child from the custodial parent. There is no sexual innuendo in those charges themselves. "With purpose to commit offense against her" covers a broad range of 'harm' even the general harm involved in not being with the custodial parent ("endangering welfare").

absolutely, and just to note the "offense committed" is most often sexual when used this way, not just infringing on freedoms etc... and use of initials could just be because she is a minor victim, could be.

In my state, all juvenile victims of a crime have their initials used in court and court filings, regardless of the crime committed. I can't speak to New Hampshire, but I wouldn't think it would be limited to victims of sex crimes.

And I agree with you, PoirotryInMotion. While I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of charges involving sexual conduct, the charges filed today do not necessarily imply a sex crime. The language "with a purpose to commit an offense against her," is concerning, but that could be a variety of actions, not just sexual conduct. At this time, I think that it's still a gray area.

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Little information about Abigail's kidnapping, captivity or release has emerged, but [/FONT]NBC affiliate NECN[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular] quoted sources as saying she was locked up in a container on Kibby's trailer-park lot in Gorham.

[/FONT]
View attachment 55870

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nathaniel-kibby-held-1m-bail-abigail-hernandez-kidnap-n167591

Question is, are those "sources" official? Or neighbors and friends?

Reporter: Sources telling us that he locked Abigail inside this orange shipping container behind his trailer.

[cut to neighbor]

Kibby's Neighbor: Yeah...because the thing is soundproof because he likes his guns, and it was a little shooting range back there.

Starts at about :45 in the video here. http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/local/2014/07/28/arrest-made-in-abigail-hernandez-case/13304519/

As reported in media, it's still 'hearsay'-neighbors of NEK's saying they 'thought' maybe he kept her in there. No confirmation by LE. And if the hearsay were true, that they knew she was kept in there, we'd then have to wonder why it wasn't reported by them earlier. I think it was a case of neighbors being caught up in the excitement and speculation at the time of the arrest. JMO.

It's been said by neighbors that a few can see his place from theirs. I would not be surprised if they witnessed evidence collection of larger items pointing to someone being housed in the container.

CNN reported it and claimed it came from Sources......

I'm rolling with it. She may not have been held in it the entire time, but I believe she was contained in it.

All IMO

Question is, are those "sources" official? Or neighbors and friends?

Reporter: Sources telling us that he locked Abigail inside this orange shipping container behind his trailer.

[cut to neighbor]

Kibby's Neighbor: Yeah...because the thing is soundproof because he likes his guns, and it was a little shooting range back there.

Starts at about :45 in the video here. http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/local/2014/07/28/arrest-made-in-abigail-hernandez-case/13304519/

I agree with your assessment upthread. the container info comes from neighbors. LE has neither confirmed nor denied at this point. So for now, neighbor sources via MSM is all we got.

In my state, all juvenile victims of a crime have their initials used in court and court filings, regardless of the crime committed. I can't speak to New Hampshire, but I wouldn't think it would be limited to victims of sex crimes.

And I agree with you, PoirotryInMotion. While I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of charges involving sexual conduct, the charges filed today do not necessarily imply a sex crime. The language "with a purpose to commit an offense against her," is concerning, but that could be a variety of actions, not just sexual conduct. At this time, I think that it's still a gray area.

He took & kept her for a reason.

I'm sure it wasn't to clean & cook.

That's all I'm going to say about that....

Thanks so much for your comment, AnaTeresa. These fine lines are confusing and important at the same time.

I love her. She's a real professional, intelligent person.

Poor thing. She looked thin, pale and somewhat drawn to me- but tough....and no longer a little girl.

This is experience has changed her forever. I hope he can talk to others, like Elizabeth Smart, so she can realize she's still her and can recover from the past.

Well, when they said they weren't sure if t was a kidnapping or a runaway situation and indicated Abby may not have been fully cooperating, thy we're being purposefully evasive. I think they fully knew but were developing evidence so they could grab him before he fled.

Now, they may be developing more evidence. Perhaps he stalked her or
lured her. They want to keep what they know from the defense as long as possible.

Also, they may still be piecing it together. Abby may have met him but can't remember. But he did and became fixated. And LE are gathering the evidence.

These things really take time.

Oh, I have no doubt other charges will be added to enhance that.

He probably narcissistically felt he had her well enough controlled that she wouldn't talk.

BBM This makes me cry. So much taken from her including her childhood. This can't be stressed enough, he robbed her of her childhood and that's a debt that he can never repay. I know NH Law regards the release of an abductee to be worth a lesser sentence, but it should be considered differently in the case of a child and outside of custodial abductions. Kibby should in no way be rewarded for releasing her on any level.

A couple of thoughts:

I suspect more charges may be filed. I doubt that anyone in the AG office wants to see someone convicted of this crime only get no more than 7 years. I have to wonder if some of the charges might depend upon Abby testifying, and perhaps they are investigating to see if they can gather enough evidence to convict on more charges without her testimony and to spare Abby from another ordeal.

Secondly, I clearly see that Abby has lost a lot of weight and is thin and she looked both angry and stoic to me. I'm already seeing in comments in MSM that she looks "great" I think this speaks to a societal issue with 'thin is beautiful'. Poor girl, I wish she could have been spared this experience. :(

A couple of thoughts:

I suspect more charges may be filed. I doubt that anyone in the AG office wants to see someone convicted of this crime only get no more than 7 years. I have to wonder if some of the charges might depend upon Abby testifying, and perhaps they are investigating to see if they can gather enough evidence to convict on more charges without her testimony and to spare Abby from another ordeal.

Secondly, I clearly see that Abby has lost a lot of weight and is thin and she looked both angry and stoic to me. I'm already seeing in comments in MSM that she looks "great" I think this speaks to a societal issue with 'thin is beautiful'. Poor girl, I wish she could have been spared this experience. :(

You're probably right Rivernh. I'm sure there are more charges pending when they finish their investigation.

BBM This makes me cry. So much taken from her including her childhood. This can't be stressed enough, he robbed her of her childhood and that's a debt that he can never repay. I know NH Law regards the release of an abductee to be worth a lesser sentence, but it should be considered differently in the case of a child and outside of custodial abductions. Kibby should in no way be rewarded for releasing her on any level.

Conversely, how many people would just kill their captive victims, knowing they'd face the same sentence whether or not they released the victim? I can see the rationale for your side, but also for a downward departure in sentence for letting the victim go free. If that's why Kibby released her, then I can't criticize the law, as Abby is free and home with her family.

Conversely, how many people would just kill their captive victims, knowing they'd face the same sentence whether or not they released the victim? I can see the rationale for your side, but also for a downward departure in sentence for letting the victim go free. If that's why Kibby released her, then I can't criticize the law, as Abby is free and home with her family.

I know you're making sense and I need to look forward to the next possible missing child case, but 7 years seems like a light sentence and it feels like a reward. Hopefully they can charge him with more like possible parole violation that would give a little more umph to this whole thing. Of course, considering how this town pulled together to find her I wouldn't want to be this man when and if he is released in 7 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member