GUILTY NH - AH, 14, North Conway, 9 October 2013 - # 9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never questioned that time frame. As a mom with teenage daughters I knew what I would do. I'd give it a little time. They rarely remember to turn the ringer on afterschool hours, even with a reminder in the morning. I'd call them and text them. If I didn't receive an answer I'd call and/or text friends. If they didn't know I'd begin the worry a little bit. Then I'd try the child again, a few times... no response then my panic would begin. It has happened more than I'd like to admit here. The thing is, usually just when I'm really about to panic they text back from their phone or a friend's if their battery wasn't charged. Ive headed out in my car more than a few times ready to drag them home for not answering when suddenly I hear. They are good kids, they simply don't think about what it means on the other end. I have a friend that gives them 10 minutes, if they don't return the call they lose the phone for a week. Highly considering starting that rule here so I have more of an idea about when to panic.

I am so disgusted by comments on the news page I've unliked it and am forcing myself not to look. At the same time, I realize know with all this positive and national attention come the ignorant who love to make the comments. I hope Zenya remembers that. 10, 20, 50 out of the viewing area of Boston is about .00001% :)

See that's what wasn't making sense to me. Like you, I call and give a few minutes. Start calling friends all the while worrying about the worst but talking myself on the ledge until I find them. Although my children are grown now, they have all had the story told to them that I need to know where they are in the case that they are missing I'd like to be able to direct LE to their last known location, the more I know the better the chances are LE can find them quickly.
Knowing that ZH did all that makes the timeline make more sense and closes it up tighter. So AH really did go missing just moments after she was seen by DF. It was also helpful to know that AH wasn't disobeying ZH by walking home that day, that sometimes she walked and sometimes she rode the bus, MO now is that for whatever reason ZH thought AH was going to ride the bus home that day. Leading me to believe even more that AH wasn't planning a meeting with anyone. Someone had to have lured her into a vehicle.

Thank you LookingHoping. So they don't receive any mail at the condo? Just trying to understand. I am not as up to date as many of you are, but I have been following the case. I understood that the cards, etc. go to the PO Box as well. I just felt that anyone could have written the letter to the PO Box but if mail does not go to the condo that would make more sense, however, I've never heard of mail not going directly to an address in the US. But I will take yalls word for it :)

Or maybe she could only remember the PO box address...maybe they had had that one for a while and the number was easy to remember...who knows. If they moved a few times in recent years, a PO box might have been simpler to remember than another new address.

Thank you LookingHoping. So they don't receive any mail at the condo? Just trying to understand. I am not as up to date as many of you are, but I have been following the case. I understood that the cards, etc. go to the PO Box as well. I just felt that anyone could have written the letter to the PO Box but if mail does not go to the condo that would make more sense, however, I've never heard of mail not going directly to an address in the US. But I will take yalls word for it :)

I do not know for sure about that complex, don't want you to understand what I wrote in a way I didn't mean.

I do know that many condo units use PO boxes. Many use boxes, but not via the Post Office, down the end of the road or something they'll have a block of boxes (almost like you find in an apartment building, but outside that you can walk to or access by vehicle as you drive in) BUT in rural areas around here (not that far from there) some areas do not have postal delivery at all. It is a PO Box or nothing.

With seasonal homes, PO boxes make more sense even if they do deliver mail, especially in areas that have mailboxes that can become completely hidden by snow or plowed down (yeah, the joys of the roadside mailbox in snowriden areas). Anyway, my point was, NONE of this seems nor seemed off to me, ever. Even the timing on the letter arrival didn't. I think though they are technically open they have napping days at my local PO ;) I don't care what company nor which person tells us a specific delivery date, it will always come a day or two later at the earliest!

Regardless, this PO in the other town that Zenya received the letter from was probably her secondary one. I know a lot of people who check their boxes once a week at most! We all know when our bills are due and paying online is the norm now. Unless you are expecting something special, why check. And she had her own, so questioning about not checking for a child's mail, well she probably didn't expect a thing and if anything important arrives on a normal day it would be to her local PO box. Nothing funky here... fairly normal stuff for this area of the country. I cannot speak for the rest of the US.

My daughter has a house address, but uses a POB. No reason other than she had it when she was living in a neighborhood that had mail thefts from home boxes. She is now buying a home and didn't want to change her mailing address.

I am just kind of stunned that LE, with all of the agencies like the FBI and secret service. Etc. were unable to do more about tracing that letter. I am not sure what I expect, maybe too much TV, but it seems like what should have been such a huge clue really hasn't helped them at all, not even in knowing what happened to her.

Well your Rudolph post made this atheist smile. Hang in there, and keep on reminding yourself of all the good things you still have in life. The holidays are hard enough on people, I feel for you.
As for Abby, I wish it were so simple for her to just come home. I do not believe she can make that choice.

I'm not alone. Not meaning you'll agree w/ the following, but in the non-belief.

I DEFINITELY appreciate those who ask and pray to their higher power, but I believe the hard work and diligence of those working the case (including ourselves), and the relentless fervor of those following the disappearance of AH will prove successful in bringing this little lady home.

Speaking of hard work. Jersey girl - the work you had to put in to maintain that 9 years will pay dividends in finding your next journey in life.

Could be she's getting media coaching. The story has been so prominent on national news (for a missing person--exceptional attention)--makes me think she's getting some advice from a professional (PR). The news article said she can spend the money that's raised for her any way she wants. If I were her, I'd spend it the same way: Good national as well as regional media attention.
Pretty girl--missing child at the holidays--good media.

I would be very surprised if Zenya is getting any media coaching. I haven't heard about her hiring a PR firm, nor about one working for her for free (They would want the publicity they would get, so I think we would know). She seems pretty new to talking to the media IMO. I noticed that when she did the NG interview, she mentioned how she couldn't talk about the letter, and then added that she really couldn't say anything about the investigation. And I feel like if you have media training, you would discuss that with the producers before hand? Or if they ask you the question anyway, you are taught about how to answer it without actually answering it, or how to change the subject, instead of just saying "I can't answer that"? I think very few parents in high-profile cases get professional media training, and it's mostly experience (interviews over the years) and just their natural personality that determines how they handle them.

this may be an unusual case because of all the publicity. Someone, and I'm sorry I can't remember who, stated that often times predators look for a specific child or type: past history of abuse, broken family, not many ties to the community and there have been a number of hispanic children who are missing in the NE area. It's quite possible that AH was being groomed, but when they took her or lured her away they didn't expect the amount of publicity she would get. I mean really, how many missing children have posters magnetized signs on trucks and cars and everyone change their facebook cover to her missing poster? The amount of publicity in this case is also unprecedented. It's hard to exploit a child in the way they may have planned with her face plastered everywhere. And let's also understand this went "viral" within hours of her disappearance, not days or weeks or months. It was immediate. Given that she can't be "groomed" or used, the people holding her may be looking for a way to rid themselves of her and still keep their other interests going with other girls. This might explain why the FBI is involved, they may be negotiating a release of AH. It's kind of like if you want to steal something big you don't steal the mona lisa, it's too "hot" and to hard to sell to anyone. It's my guess she's being moved around to keep her hidden, and in the meantime FBI and LE are negotiating with whoever has her to get her home. I also think that's why it's so important to keep her face out there and plaster the area with her missing posters and keep the pressure on.

Sounds like Littlerose

And that's where you and I differ on a couple of points. Failure isn't about cases, it's about missing people. The goal isn't winning a case when a person is missing, it's about getting that person home safely. Lizzi isn't home. Maura isn't home. They couldn't even be found. And Celina isn't home, there's some closure because they found her body, but she's not home. And in Lizzi's case I've yet to see justice served. KM spent a few months in detention and is out, I'm not sure that was justice and SM has yet to be tried. Celina's case is still open. I'm not saying it's all on JY because it isn't, but we need to start focusing on getting children home because I'll tell you closure isn't enough. And if what you're saying is that we are failing at bringing home missing people in spite of all the best efforts, there again we agree and things need to change because what we're doing isn't working. The definition of success isn't about putting a perp behind bars, it's about getting the missing found and brought home. Ask anyone who's lost a love one which they'd prefer, a perp behind bars or their loved one home. And if our justice system is so flawed that we have to put people's lives secondary to preserving evidence, then we've got even larger problems as a society.
I do believe JY wants these children home, I don't think she's heartless but I do think the general way these cases are being handled aren't bringing the success they should. I see that she cares and I think she's a very intelligent attorney, but I'd feel a lot more warm and fuzzy about how she coordinates her missing persons' cases if we had more missing people found. I really do believe she will find AH and I do believe in my soul this will have a happy ending, but I'd like to see more happy endings and the kind of success that involves children returned safely to their families.

That's exactly what I'm saying - that despite best efforts, we can't always find missing persons. It shocks me that in every one of these cases where the person is not found, non-professionals feel they know better and that LE simply isn't doing enough or doing it right.

Again, are there cases where LE is not doing a good enough job? Yes, it happens. The Elizabeth Smart cases was an example. But there are usually serious signs, such as the family breaking ranks from LE, (which is what happened in the Elizabeth Smart case), or a total lack of publicity which has been seemingly encouraged by LE.

We don't have that in this case.

For the most part, however, they do the best that can be done and releasing information to the public because various people feel they know more and better than LE, is insanity.

Can websleuthers help? You bet. Plenty of people here are intelligent and creative and can come up with all sorts of things that may help bring people home. But does that justify opening the floodgates to sensitive information and allowing the public at large to act as detectives? Hell no. Sorry.

I am just kind of stunned that LE, with all of the agencies like the FBI and secret service. Etc. were unable to do more about tracing that letter. I am not sure what I expect, maybe too much TV, but it seems like what should have been such a huge clue really hasn't helped them at all, not even in knowing what happened to her.

Do we know they haven't been able to trace the letter? Is your statement based on the fact that they haven't disclosed anything or made a plea for people to BOLO Abby in, let's say, Milwaukee? I expect they know where it was post marked from, at a minimum. Unless gloves were used, finger prints were most likely obtained. And, maybe even a bit of DNA from whomever licked it. Maybe all of my assumptions are based on me watching too much TV!

Assuming they were able to glean some information, like the town it was sent from, what benefit would there be by not disclosing that to the public? I know this was discussed up thread but I bring it up again because I think it's critical. Is LE quiet on this because they really didn't get any useable information from the letter or is it that they don't want to spook Abby? Spook the perp? Do you suppose they may have told LE from that town to BOLO Abby but kept it from the public?

Maybe the answer is as simple as they gleaned nothing from the letter so, therefore, nothing has been done. Oh, that would be stunning, Clu! I'm going to hope that's not the case.

I'm sure this has been asked/answered but I find it suspicious the letter was sent to a PO Box. Zenya said she gets cards from well wishers, etc. If Abby really wrote the letter why not send it to the house? Sending to a PO Box just seems odd to me. Was the PO Box set up since she went missing for people to write? TIA

The letter seems strange to me! It could have been written at any time and just because the writer wrote October 22 doesn't mean it was that day. It could have been written the day she left! Would the average teen even date a hand written letter? I think the letter was sent to confuse the investigation!
Just thinking out loud, cause it feels out of place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know folks have different reasons for having a po box. Is this arrival of ‘the letter’ LE’s first knowledge of that box??
Should they be like white on rice regarding everything possible about Abby’s disappearance and the family—including a po box.
Had the mother been instructed by LE NOT to open, handle or take any information without their lead?
Prints, post marks and much evidence could have been on the “letter.” Was it processed though LE channels for this evidence?
If it’s hopeful news why such a secret concerning its contents?

None of this adds up factually. Would a “letter’ flush someone out?

I think a surprise is on the horizon because there are too many missing and unmatched pieces to this story. I’d like to think some sort of tactical planning is in play.

Could this be a new approach to uncover a stranger or a member of her own?
It would be a refreshing change to the other missing and unknowns still under investigation after 10, 20, 30 + years.

MOO with utmost respect for Abby, family, and LE—Bring em home!:rose:

I personally don't understand why national media has decided this story is worthy when sooooo many other missing persons' cases aren't. Yes, it's advantageous for the family.
BUT this letter has caused an uptick in the "mystery" element and pushed it onto GMA, Boston stations, etc. The letter was allegedly written a scant 10 days after her disappearance and many weeks have passed since then. What's the reason for the interest from media?
People lose interest when LE says she "may have left willingly" (at first, but now. . . ) and now it's turned back into an abduction? This wildly swinging tide of opinion and speculation is based on stirred up emotions--newly ignited by a letter that seemingly was NOT handwritten--one that was mailed almost two months ago. This is not a new document. Where is the news in all that? This missing child's status hasn't changed substantially for two months.

Additionally, the facts of the case have mutated and switched--been released, then retracted--have been released at odd times. I don't follow the details of a lot of cases, so maybe the handling of media is familiar to those who do. But this recent surge in media interest is based on a letter that is odd--off in terms of profile (abducted children don't usually send letters), in terms of how it was received (a lot of coincidences delaying it--P.O box in different town rarely checked, lost in the mail for 10 days, etc), and how it is depicted (Abby in tone, but not, apparently in handwriting). People are into the emotions, but the facts are quite squishy.

I personally don't understand why national media has decided this story is worthy when sooooo many other missing persons' cases aren't. Yes, it's advantageous for the family.
BUT this letter has caused an uptick in the "mystery" element and pushed it onto GMA, Boston stations, etc. The letter was allegedly written a scant 10 days after her disappearance and many weeks have passed since then. What's the reason for the interest from media?
People lose interest when LE says she "may have left willingly" (at first, but now. . . ) and now it's turned back into an abduction? This wildly swinging tide of opinion and speculation is based on stirred up emotions--newly ignited by a letter that seemingly was NOT handwritten--one that was mailed almost two months ago. This is not a new document. Where is the news in all that? This missing child's status hasn't changed substantially for two months.

Additionally, the facts of the case have mutated and switched--been released, then retracted--have been released at odd times. I don't follow the details of a lot of cases, so maybe the handling of media is familiar to those who do. But this recent surge in media interest is based on a letter that is odd--off in terms of profile (abducted children don't usually send letters), in terms of how it was received (a lot of coincidences delaying it--P.O box in different town rarely checked, lost in the mail for 10 days, etc), and how it is depicted (Abby in tone, but not, apparently in handwriting). People are into the emotions, but the facts are quite squishy.

IMHO, it is because it is right on the heels of Amanda, Gina and Michelle being found alive after so many years, especially since everyone assumed Michelle was a runaway.

Just read her letter. She is not Catholic as it mentions being "saved and baptized". That's just not a Catholic thing to do. Not that her religion matters, but I always made the incorrect assumption that her Mexican background meant she was Catholic.

Hmm, I went back and her grandfather's obituary mentions his funeral was at a Catholic church.

Now I'm confused. :)

Let's not forget this "not going on the bus" was rare, according to mom. Friends would have asked why she's not going with them.
So: This wasn't a routine she was stalked through and snatched out of.
She left on what has been characterized by her mother as an unusual path home (if the mother was completely cognizant of her usual behavior--)
Also, the dogs followed her scent to her door. The rare times (in the one-month period of days she attended her high school), allowed the dogs to track her.
The mother said she was not home--so no violent crime scene there--yet, the doors were taped (routine?).
Then, alleged proof-of-life appears one month after disappearance, delayed by several coincidences.
If the letter was typed or composed in non-personal script--what does that say? If AH wanted to send a message to her mom at her mom's private mailbox, why not hand write? (If the letter was handwritten, what would the harm be in saying that--more proof of life?)

Many people use PO boxes for receiving mail for many reasons but I'm guessing that ZH has one because she doesn't own her condo and has moved around a lot in the past few years.. Putting forwards in every time you move if you move often gets very complicated and often mail loops back and forth from one address to another.. People tend to open PO boxes in areas that they know they will be in often like maybe the town they work in.. Stops all the confusion.. This might be why her mail was delayed in getting to her.. She wasn't going to work after Abby went missing..

My old baby sitter used a PO Box. Her home is on a busy street and her mailbox had been hit by cars a few times, so she switched to the POB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pizzaguy