NH NH - Allenstown, Adult Female, 23-33, & 3 Children, under 11, Nov'85 & May'00 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Are you a genetic genealogist actually working on this with BRV?
Not with BRV - but I have been in contact with NH investigators on multiple tips. My own family tree may intersect with MC’s in more than one spot due to NPE and my relatives being in the same small town as the target line at multiple key points - my third cousin lived down the street from a man who could very well be MC’s grandfather for over 30 years. I’ve been working on this independently basically nonstop for 3 months and while I don’t have much “inside info” per se, I also have 17 years of genealogy experience that makes me pretty confident that if someone is listed as either Black or mulatto on THAT many census documents and can be traced back to a slave by multiple amateurs, that that may be where someone’s Black ancestry came from. To be clear that is all I meant when I said “I think you may be onto something” - I just meant that it’s likely that person had found the point in the line where someone had a child with one of their slaves.

I think you are onto something. Catherine was always listed as “mulatto” on census data fwiw.

I think I was wrong! The Samuel M. Devereaux slave owner I mentioned was not Jane's father, who was Samuel A. Deveraux. He married a Creek Indian called Rachel Barron. I have seen comments saying that they have found that the two Samuel 's were first cousins.

Deleted: answered my own question!

Last edited:
I think I was wrong! The Samuel M. Devereaux slave owner I mentioned was not Jane's father, who was Samuel A. Deveraux. He married a Creek Indian called Rachel Barron. I have seen comments saying that they have found that the two Samuel 's were first cousins.

I'm not so sure Rachel Barron was Creek Indian, only that she was born in Creek Indian Territory, but I could be wrong. I found her on different family trees with different info on each.

I'm not so sure Rachel Barron was Creek Indian, only that she was born in Creek Indian Territory, but I could be wrong. I found her on different family trees with different info on each.
There are 2-3 trees I have found to be more reliable than others. I would trust the information from the gentleman who has a Livings grandparent but is related to both lines - he has done VERY extensive research and has been a findagrave mod for years, and I would also trust any info pulled from Spiers.net. If you have questions on trees that are known to be bad research, shoot me a DM I have a list of the ones to avoid.

I really hope this is the year that little angel gets her name back. Its such a cruel twist of fate that his own daughter is still unamed :(

I just want to say that the family tree your diving into ive looked into it. You guys are my hero's

I really hope this is the year that little angel gets her name back. Its such a cruel twist of fate that his own daughter is still unamed :(

I just want to say that the family tree your diving into ive looked into it. You guys are my hero's
Thank you. All the credit really goes to BRV who has narrowed down the target line. I have lots of confidence that 2022 will be the year this sweet girl gets to go home.

LA - LA - St Tammany Parish, W-Biracial/F, 18-30, Skeleton, 16 Mar 1989

Bringing this thread over here because MC has a lot of relatives in St. Tammany Parish per the family tree of Livings/Mitchell descendants. LSUF estimate looks like the death date could possibly be right for it being MC's mom, but even if not a match could be a possible relative.

LA - LA - St Tammany Parish, W-Biracial/F, 18-30, Skeleton, 16 Mar 1989

Bringing this thread over here because MC has a lot of relatives in St. Tammany Parish per the family tree of Livings/Mitchell descendants. LSUF estimate looks like the death date could possibly be right for it being MC's mom, but even if not a match could be a possible relative.

Per the other thread, she has DNA available. I would think that MC's DNA would be compared with all the available databases, but if the two haven't been compared, this seems like a comparison could be done to see.

Per the other thread, she has DNA available. I would think that MC's DNA would be compared with all the available databases, but if the two haven't been compared, this seems like a comparison could be done to see.
Agreed, but I'm also fairly sure that MC only had mitochondrial DNA available until sometime within the last year and a half or so when BRV started working on the forensic genealogy profile.

Links.

Bear Brook Jane Doe
802UFNH

St. Tammany Parish Jane Doe (1989)
862UFLA
Thank you for these. I'll email the investigator from NH I've been in contact with regarding this to see if he's specifically tested for a match post-forensic profile being created.

General update on where things are:
- On 12/4 I finished researching a branch of the family that appears to link to another line with a variety of marriages into the Livings/Mitchell line. This branch was not easily findable past the 1910 census but I was able to enlist the help of my grandfather (a retired ethnographer/professional genealogist) on it and he's looking into a few of the other "untraceable" branches in his spare time. I'm planning to see him in person in 2 weeks to hopefully trace through a few of these. @Alleykins, since I know you're our census guru, if you specifically have branches you want a second look at, please let me know before January 6th.

- I am realigning my master tree based off the person researchers have indicated is the closest match at this point and due to that have privated it/removed it from searches. This was at my grandpa's suggestion - he said that if we have a centimorgan number for that match (we do) it would be easier to rule out other people and target specific lines if we had what those relationships could be in Ancestry. I have a pretty detailed centimorgan calculator that I'm using on a second screen so I am able to see whether the probability of these relationships would fit with what we know about MC. The master tree itself is at around 5000 entries but I am constantly adding/removing.

- I would like to compare notes with anyone who is exclusively using FamilySearch. There are certain records, specifically some states' birth and divorce records, that I cannot seem to aggregate on Ancestry that are available on FamilySearch but I really don't want my info given to the LDS Church for a variety of reasons. If this is you and we have not previously connected, please let me know and I'll shoot you a message about what specifically I'm looking for and where.

- I'd also like to connect with anyone who's got a Fold3 subscription. I think that given the fact that TPR himself was a veteran and seemed to hang around military bases/places with a VA it may be good to see if there are more extensive military records especially for people in the target line.

If there's anything that y'all specifically have questions on regarding the tree, I can probably answer quite a bit of it at this point minus information about living people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could see this as a possibility given how widespread the Filipino community is in the US - I have Filipino family members as well - but I truly don’t want to put a ton of stock into anything that may have come from a statement of “possibly meeting MC” as a child from TPR’s kids because that’s been debunked MULTIPLE times. I believe that NH investigators have the entire maternal haplotype testing done and would be able to clearly state that MC’s mother or grandmother had a significant amount of Filipino or other Asian ancestry if that was truly the case - but that was not brought up by investigators in any report or any of my calls with them.
@othram or any other DNA expert here - I know this is not “your” case, but could you possibly give some kind of insight as to whether or not maternal haplotype testing would immediately be able to isolate potential Filipino/South Asian ancestry, specifically how significant the amount is? I really want to put some of these already debunked claims to bed and get back to the real task at hand here which is finding MC’s mother so we can bring her home.

Sorry for being harsh there, but that theory and information is in direct contradiction to information that has been discussed on this thread as well as information that has been directly relayed to myself and others by NH investigators.

I want to make it clear that investigators have NEVER made it public the percentages of nonwhite ancestry MC has, which is another roadblock to finding her identity, but it is pretty clear that the Black heritage is likely from the Livings/Mitchell/Spiers branch of the family - there were a variety of family members listed as “mulatto” or “dark” on WWI/WWII draft cards or census data, and specifically, Catherine Danielly (whose name you will recognize if you are digging deep into the records) is at least half Black, as are quite a few other significant names in the family at that time, 5-6 generations back from MC.

Thanks for this, and just to add, once we figured out Catherine Danielly's mixed heritage, I stopped paying too much attention to the Black/Asian/Native etc., ancestry possibilities for MC. Mostly because Catherine was from Florida. Florida is a place where it would not have been at all uncommon to have someone with both Black and indigenous ancestry. But also, Florida was a Spanish colonial territory and Spain also had a colony in the Phillipines as well. So again, not unheard of to find records of Filipino sailors on Spanish ships or putting down roots in Spanish-held territories.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayrider129
Back