NH NH - Amanda Grazewski, 23, Derry, 17 Mar 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was curious about this connected - mentioned upthread somewhere:

"Bugg is April Bailey’s son and for more than a month, he and his family and friends have been looking for her. The 36-year-old was last seen at her Lynn Street apartment in Nashua, New Hampshire on Jan. 15, 2020. She was reported missing five days later."​

boston25news.com/news/local/family-asking-help-finding-nh-woman-last-seen-january/ZQSAZRP3IJGMXO7FCXPALKG324/

The similarity is that she disappeared on Jan 15 this year in Nashua (marker 1). Three months later and 21 minutes away, Amanda (marker 2) is missing on Mar 17 in Derry - before St Patrick's Day parties.

"Police say Amanda Grazewski was last seen at a friend's house where she was staying on Birch Street. She reportedly left the residence in the early morning hours of March 17 without her purse, cell phone or other belongings.

She has not been heard from since."​

Derry police searching for woman last seen on St. Patrick's Day
View attachment 243533

oh seeing the straight shot of the route like that is very disturbing. I hope the PD monitors there groups.

This doesn't sound good. I had to look at the different locations that she frequented. How did she get around?

Is there any information about where she was in the hours before she wandered away without her phone?

View attachment 243528

View attachment 243529

It’s VERY easy around here to catch rides (even multiple times a day) to and from Manchester, Nashua, Derry, and Lawrence MA, unfortunately. Very, very regular routes for opiate addicts around here.

I am thinking about Amanda! no recent news, but posts on fb by family members, its clear her brother has a lot of love for her but isn't hopeful that he will see her again or get closure.
I definitely think they should be looking closer at the friend she was staying with, or the people affiliated with that house. Very fishy that her phone was still sitting there, I think something happened to her and someone close to that residence is responsible... moo

I am thinking about Amanda! no recent news, but posts on fb by family members, its clear her brother has a lot of love for her but isn't hopeful that he will see her again or get closure.
I definitely think they should be looking closer at the friend she was staying with, or the people affiliated with that house. Very fishy that her phone was still sitting there, I think something happened to her and someone close to that residence is responsible... moo

Police in Derry, NH continuing search for missing woman last seen in March

May 5 article
Police in Derry, New Hampshire are continuing their search for a missing woman who was last seen March 17.
Police say Grazewski has a history of substance abuse and is also known to frequent Salem, Nashua, Manchester, and Hooksett.

She is described as white, 5 feet, 5 inches tall, about 135 pounds, with brown hair, and hazel eyes.

Anyone with information on Grazewski’s whereabouts is asked to contact Derry police at 603-432-6111.

This is my very first post to this forum.

I grew up in Derry. I am not sure how much it has changed in the last several years but I remember drug dealers, gangs, beatings, theft and prostitution being pretty rampant even back then. Birch St is directly across from Crystal Ave which is what I would consider the main street there. I remember people from bigger cities coming to Derry and being shocked by the level of crime.

I would wonder if she had an argument or disagreement with the person she is staying with which made her storm out in the morning hours?

Or perhaps she went outside to meet someone for something anticipating to come right back to the house?

Is there a history of trafficking young women around the area?

Welcome to WS, Nanneke.

I am not doubting your experience, Nanneke. It doesn't jive with the town I know, though, so I'll share my perspective so sleuthers have a nuanced picture of the town where Amanda was last seen. I lived in major cities before I settled in NH. I worked in Derry for 12 years. Perceptions about crime are relative. NH has a couple of large cities (Manchester, Nashua) and the rest is small towns. While Derry only has 35,000 people, it is the 4th largest municipality in the state.

Most of Derry is rural: winding, hilly roads; woods and farms; and scattered cul-de-sac developments. Does Derry have drugs and crime? Certainly. Where there are drugs, there is prostitution. The opiod crisis hit NH hard. It's heartbreaking. But Derry is not an unsafe town. There aren't gangs roaming the streets or streetwalkers walking up and down Broadway (the actual main street, the street named Main Street goes through the old village center). Crimes of violence are rare. Property crime is not common. The only problem walking around at night is that there are no streetlights or shoulders along the narrow, curvy roads.

Derry differs from surrounding towns in having an old-fashioned walkable downtown that has been revitalized: fantastic restaurants, a rail trail, parks, a bandstand, small shops, a library. It even has streetlights and sidewalks. Most towns in the area have a crossroads where two numbered state roads meet; that is considered the center of the town, and that's it. Derry is where social services (like food pantries, soup kitchens, nonprofit agencies) are located. Medical providers, supermarkets, fast food are in the downtown. New Hampshire has very little public transportation. The ability to walk to things is a big consideration for people who don't own cars, like Amanda.

Derry has a much higher percentage of rental housing than neighboring towns. Outside of the area around downtown, the rental housing is mostly condexes on lots with yards and woods. In the neighborhoods adjacent to downtown, apartments in converted single-family houses is the norm. Amanda is last known to have been at an apartment in a neighborhood near downtown. The information reported is that she left on foot, which would not be unusual in that area.

Birch Street is a main road, Route 28. There are 24-hour pharmacies at each end, and a gas station at the southern end. The hospital is on that road. Birch continues as Crystal Ave. after it crosses Broadway. Crystal Ave. has gas stations, a couple more pharmacies, and lots of fast food restaurants. Of all the roads Amanda could have been walking on in Derry in the middle of the night, Birch St./Crystal Ave. is where she would have been most likely to have been seen by someone. Some businesses on Crystal Ave probably have security cameras.

Amanda has a history of drug problems and may have been familiar to the Derry police. It sounds like she had been drifting around, crashing at people's places, since the report give several places she was known to stay. I don't take the description that she'd been staying with a "friend" literally. It is likely Derry police used it to refer to the person Amanda is last known to have been with. I don't think it characterizes their relationship.

I hope Amanda is located soon. Her family needs answers soon. Maybe yesterday's update will generate new leads.

I am glad that you have had a different experience in Derry than I had. Perhaps we were exposed to different socioeconomic situations?

I lived in Derry for 12 years. I have worked on Crystal Ave. I attended high school at Pinkerton. I lived in the Fairways for about 8 years. My father only recently relocated from just off of West Broad after living there for close to 25 years. (To be fair, it has been a bit of time since I have been there for anything more than a visit and my time in Derry coincided with a rather rebellious youth so I was probably exposed to a bit more of the unsavory than a normal person might be).

I would not feel safe walking around Derry at night without a weapon but that is just my personal experience.

I hope that we get some updates on Amanda. I am discouraged that there hasn't been a lot of new information to consider. Perhaps they are just keeping information close because they have a solid lead. I can't personally imagine leaving from anywhere in the middle of the night without my phone/belongings unless it was some kind of drastic emergency.

@carbuff
Negative on her owning a car.
She was know to walk & catch rides.
EBM corrected post quote

Thanks!

Are there any open-all-night businesses in the vicinity that she might have tried to walk to? Like if she needed cigarettes or something? I'm thinking that if she wasn't well prepared she might have developed hypothermia, become confused, and wandered off into the woods? If she was already under the influence, she might have forgotten to take things she normally would have.

Thanks!

Are there any open-all-night businesses in the vicinity that she might have tried to walk to? Like if she needed cigarettes or something? I'm thinking that if she wasn't well prepared she might have developed hypothermia, become confused, and wandered off into the woods? If she was already under the influence, she might have forgotten to take things she normally would have.

The Dunkin Donuts on Crystal Ave used to be 24 hrs. I am unsure if it still is, or if the pandemic has potentially impacted their hours of operation?

Was NH on restrictions yet when she went missing? March seems so long ago...
No. This was the weekend before the stay home order. There are 24 hour pharmacies at both ends of Birch St., and a gas station/covenience store at the southern end. Crystal Ave is the continuation of Birch after the main intersection in town. The Dunkin Donuts is just beyond the intersection. Crystal Ave has all the fast food places beyond that so it she would have been most likely to head north on Birch toward Crystal Ave, IMO. Birch St is not that long. And she wouldn't have needed to walk the entire length. No matter where she started out on Birch St, there were options close by.

Another possible destination is Alexander Carr Park, behind Parkland Hospital. The hospital is midway on Birch. The park is gorgeous. Because it is tucked away off a short dead end road, it is a place where teens and young adults who need a place to hang out gather. If Amanda had been there previously, maybe she went there looking for activity. The dead end is the only road access. But there is a path through a meadow and woods to the largest apartment complex in the area. About 1000 units. The police have survellaince cameras at Alexander Carr, at least most of the year, and I assume police have recordings if she was reported missing close enough to when she was last seen.

A couple of years ago in Decemver, someone with dementia who lived in a care facility was left at the ER by a transport company and not attended. He left the ER. A huge snowstorm hit the next day. Despite an immediate, intense search, his body was not found until spring. He was in woods, close to the road, a mile from the hospital and maybe 1/4 mile from Birch. They determined he died the day he went missing. The area had been searched. It was happence his body was good. If Amanda is deceased, her remains could be close by.

The stay home order makes it it more possible Amanda is alive than the lack of sightind indicates. She lives an under the radar existence in seems. With businesses closed or hours limited, and the library closed and restaurants having takeaway only, there has been less chance she'd be sighted at a table at McDonalds, for instance. That is actual a positive to keep in mind.

No. This was the weekend before the stay home order. There are 24 hour pharmacies at both ends of Birch St., and a gas station/covenience store at the southern end. Crystal Ave is the continuation of Birch after the main intersection in town. The Dunkin Donuts is just beyond the intersection. Crystal Ave has all the fast food places beyond that so it she would have been most likely to head north on Birch toward Crystal Ave, IMO. Birch St is not that long. And she wouldn't have needed to walk the entire length. No matter where she started out on Birch St, there were options close by.

Another possible destination is Alexander Carr Park, behind Parkland Hospital. The hospital is midway on Birch. The park is gorgeous. Because it is tucked away off a short dead end road, it is a place where teens and young adults who need a place to hang out gather. If Amanda had been there previously, maybe she went there looking for activity. The dead end is the only road access. But there is a path through a meadow and woods to the largest apartment complex in the area. About 1000 units. The police have survellaince cameras at Alexander Carr, at least most of the year, and I assume police have recordings if she was reported missing close enough to when she was last seen.

A couple of years ago in Decemver, someone with dementia who lived in a care facility was left at the ER by a transport company and not attended. He left the ER. A huge snowstorm hit the next day. Despite an immediate, intense search, his body was not found until spring. He was in woods, close to the road, a mile from the hospital and maybe 1/4 mile from Birch. They determined he died the day he went missing. The area had been searched. It was happence his body was good. If Amanda is deceased, her remains could be close by.

The stay home order makes it it more possible Amanda is alive than the lack of sightind indicates. She lives an under the radar existence in seems. With businesses closed or hours limited, and the library closed and restaurants having takeaway only, there has been less chance she'd be sighted at a table at McDonalds, for instance. That is actual a positive to keep in mind.
The no phone situation really bothers me.. unless someone reports that for periods of time she went without technology, this is a large red flag... it’s not the same as just turning your phone off because you need a break etc. I’m sure she had some pretty important contacts on there, whether it be clients or other means of making money, of drug connections and of course her loved ones in case she needed a safety net... phone is a huge resource for many modes of life and I think given her lifestyle she would need it to survive. I just think the intersection between not having a car, phone, or now a home just makes me think foul play. Jmo :(

So she left the house in the early morning hours on March 17th, without her purse or cell phone. In California we were under Shelter in Place orders and the bars were closed, so no big St Patrick's day parties. Did NH have something similar in place?

Wondering if someone picked her up for a date. But wouldn't she at least take her phone? Do we know anything about the "friend" she was staying with? Was he/she the last person to see her?
So she left the house in the early morning hours on March 17th, without her purse or cell phone. In California we were under Shelter in Place orders and the bars were closed, so no big St Patrick's day parties. Did NH have something similar in place?

Wondering if someone picked her up for a date. But wouldn't she at least take her phone? Do we know anything about the "friend" she was staying with? Was he/she the last person to see her?

To clarify:
Friday, March 13 Governor declared State of Emergency
Sunday, March 15 Closure of schools announced
Monday, March 16 Closure of bars and restaurants except takeout. No gatherings more than 50 people.
March 27 Stay home order

Amanda's last known sighting was in the early morning of March 17. Restaurant and bar closures went into effect the next day. The size of gatherings was limited to under 50 at that point. The night she was last seen was fairly normal--people were anxious but not hugely impacted yet.

Anytime I hear a missing person case where the person left their cell phone, purse, etc. I always think that it is never a good sign. I saw someone mention AG had some arrest history, and I am curious if she has any current ongoing legal proceedings happening? Besides foul play or self-harm, perhaps she wanted or needed to hide out. There have been several recent cases where that was the case. It's the preferable option to the other above mentioned ones.
Leaving your phone behind in early morning hours is just never good. Like others have said here I hope LE is seriously questioning the people at the house she was staying at.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back