NH NH/CA - Terry Peder Rasmussen, suspected SK, Allenstown, 1981-2000's - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been going over basic Forensic Isotope Analysis to get some idea what the conclusions about the geographic histories of the Bear Brook Four are all about.

In a nut shell, the the tap water in different cities and towns have different ratios of two isotopes of oxygen and these ratios which are determined by local geology and distance from the ocean, will remain pretty much the same in any given water system, from year to year. This is called the O2 16/18 ratio.

The O2 16/18 ratio in human tissue reflects the ratio is the water they drink, normally from the tap. Most tissues regenerates gradually over time so the ratios would gradually change if a subject moved and a reading would be worthless. Two types of human tissue that does not change over time are tooth enamel,which is fixed during the first few years of life and hair, which will will reflect the O2 16/18 ratio of the local water at the time it emerges from the follicle and remain fixed at that point as the hair grows. Since hair grows approx 6" a year, a 12" hair would provide a two year linear record of the isotope environments the subject was exposed to.

Apparently the maps that we have seen are based on isotope studies of the local water in 65 different US cities. I don't know if the same information is available for Canada.

If a subject drank mostly Bottled Water, not of local origin, ate other than a "typical" mix of food, or drank well water or water from isolated sources, their ratio may not correlate to the area they live. Overall, it is pretty accurate in narrowing down where someone spent their infancy and, depending on hair length, where they spent the last months or years of their lives.

One obvious limitation of this method is that some O2 16/18 ratios are fairly common. The woman and the two related children appear to have spent their infancies and the last year or so in an area that had a ratio consistent with the Manchester NH area but there are many places they could have lived with a fairly dense population.

The biological child of Rasmussen/Evans came from a far more limited area with a much lower population. We do know that that child only moved to an area with a O2 16/18 ratio like that of Manchester, in the 3 to 4 months prior to her death.

There are other elements that have isotope ratios that can be used forensically but the science is less developed. Some of these may have been used but they have not been publicized.

Attempting to locate missing mothers with children from the geographic limits of their O2 16/18 ratios is pretty much a needle in a haystack situation with one haystack being especially big. What we can probably assume is that the middle child spent her entire life in one area until she moved to NH in the months before her death and the other every likely did as well. (It seems unlikely that a nomadic existence would be limited to one O2 ratio area).
I do not believe Rasmussen/Evans would have transported four bodies a long distance so I think it is very likely that all of them were living together in the Manchester area in the 3 or 4 month period before their deaths.

Texas however, where Rasmussen/Evans is believed to have lived before he moved to NH is not one of them.

Very excellent write up Kemo [emoji106][emoji106].

You were able to breakdown isotope into lames terms where it is easily digested and understood .. TY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, it puzzles me how much connection he has to Texas when the victims including his daughter don't. I can think of reasons but it's weird.

Agreed, it is rather complex to place the jigsaw puzzle pieces together.

Do not believe any of the A4 are from TX, maybe the mother of TR's daughter could be or the mysterious Elizabeth or even the mysterious female companion of Dec 1974 its just all up in the air.

JMO TR was in CA just before NH or either had visited CA while he was living in NH.

Many discounted the Disneyland tee but it spoke volumes to me..and still does.

That's an excellent point about the t-shirt.

It's hard to tell how long he spent at any of the places he's connected to. He could have been in Idaho for a weekend or several years.

But he does seem to always return to either California or Texas.

That's an excellent point about the t-shirt.

It's hard to tell how long he spent at any of the places he's connected to. He could have been in Idaho for a weekend or several years.

But he does seem to always return to either California or Texas.

Your absolutely correct Carbuff, TR did not stay in one place no more than a couple years to less than a few months or weeks.

Glad you brought Idaho, when did TR arrive there, how long was he there and was he alone or did he have a female companion.

Your absolutely correct Carbuff, TR did not stay in one place no more than a couple years to less than a few months or weeks.

Glad you brought Idaho, when did TR arrive there, how long was he there and was he alone or did he have a female companion.

I haven't found anything yet, but I keep thinking he must have left somebody there.

I remember reading news article about this. He was in Idaho about 4 to 6 month (can't remember exact length though) working on farm. Car he stole was farm owner's. There was place mentioned in Idaho where farm was and also farm owner stated under which nickname he knew Bob (I think Gerry Mockerman, but not sure). There was no mention of any female companion in article, and I am sure farm owner would mention it if there was one.

He was in Preston ID. for only 3 to 4 months before he stole the Datsun station wagon and then went to San Luis Obispo where he was arrested in 88. While in Preston he was known as Jerry Gorman-no females or children with him then. So from the time he left Lisa with the Deckers to showing up in Preston ID. is still one of the blanks in his whereabouts/timeline.
Also the Pickup truck with TX plates-no one saw him with it in Orange County in the mid 80s ( he crashed a white van with Lisa while drunk in Orange County)-he had the PU in the RV park with Lisa when the Deckers met him....so unknown if he briefly went to TX when he left Orange County and obtained the PU then.
Again-he was so good at setting up his victims as "voluntary missing" to avoid any missing persons reports-if there are folk looking for family that they "lost touch with" that match his MO/location/timeline those would be really worth looking at.
Thanks everyone!

Also the Pickup truck with TX plates-no one saw him with it in Orange County in the mid 80s ( he crashed a white van with Lisa while drunk in Orange County)-he had the PU in the RV park with Lisa when the Deckers met him....so unknown if he briefly went to TX when he left Orange County and obtained the PU then.

I wonder what the tabs were on the truck versus the time he was picked up in it? Texas always keep coming back into the story and finding folks who knew him then must be a top priority for LE.

The identity of "Elizabeth" and the two related children are one mystery, the identity of Rasmussen's child is another, and the resolution of one may not lead to a resolution of the other.

What's occurs to me about "Elizabeth" is what a short span of time some critical events in her life transpired leading to her death. The best estimate of her time of death would be the summer if 1980, ( based on the naming her as a wife on the 5/80 arrest record but not on the 10/80 one). It could have happened as late as spring of 1981 when he took up with Denise but I think the earlier date is more likely correct.

She had a child 1 to 3 years old. It is a good guess that she was in a relationship with another man, at least not in a relationship with Rasmussen three years earlier when he was living in the Houston area and she was somewhere quite a distance away. Somehow, she is living with Rasmussen/Evans and his child in 1980.

This seems perfectly plausible if she was living in the Manchester area all along. She could easily have split from the child's father and met up with Rasmussen/Evans after he arrived in NH in 1978 or 79. The problem with this scenario is that it raises the question of why nobody in the area seems to have been aware of her existence.

The alternative is that she had only arrived in the area at the same time as Rasmussen's daughter and with a controlling boyfriend, never go to know many people there. This scenario raises different questions. She would have been living somewhere else when her youngest child was born ( perhaps 1977). Somewhere with O2 16/18 similar to southern NH, which would be nowhere near Houston.

Rasmussen seems to have fathered a child a year or two earlier than "Elizabeth" (perhaps 1976) some place other than where "Elizabeth" was living and quite a ways from Houston, where he was to settle a year or so later. Somehow, in spite of the probable distance involved, she latches on to Rasmussen who was living in Houston into 1978 and was settled in NH in 1979, and agrees to relocate to NH with him. This doesn't seem all that unlikely but the fact that no one from her place of origin had reported her missing suggest a secretive move. I wonder if this has something to do with Rasmussen assuming the identity of Evans.

There is speculation that Rasmussen changed his identity in order to dodge Child Support obligations after his divorce but he would have had those obligations for the period after her separation and, in those days, moving to a state where your "ex" doesn't know you are living was all it took to dodge those obligations.

I have wondered why he didn't revert back to the Rasmussen identity after he killed his family or at least after he had a warrant on his head in California. Going about your life using your real name seems the perfect means of avoiding warrants and such that are issued for someone under a false identity. It would be the perfect cover. He could get a valid drivers license, SS number etc. He never did this. Could he have feared criminal charges under that name. If so, he does not appear to have ever shown up as a fugitive under that name but he may have had no way to know.

Could Rasmussen have committed a serious crime in or around 1978 and feared he was subject to arrest and prosecution? Could he have been a fugitive while in NH?

We all know about the FBI's 10 most wanted and people who are otherwise "on the lam" but what does it take for someone who might be a "Person of Interest" to be an "official" fugitive when the investigating LE agency loses touch with them?

In 08/1980 the mill is closing officially. Some of the employees maybe relocated to Bedford Massachusetts at Berkshire's other mill.

Is it possible that Evans met elizabeth while working at Waumbec.

The disassembly of the mill was suppose to be finished by 10/1980.

Evans / Rasmussen doesn't have a spouse in 10/1980.

Should be in some records somewhere whether there was an Elizabeth working at Waumbec during that time period. Every one pays taxes even Evans.

But LE must of already looked into that possibility. <shrug>

One thing I'm trying to understand if Evans was an alias why did he stick around and show up in court in 04/1980 and say he would make good on the check he bounced on 12/21/79.

Plus he is arrested 2 more times and apparently sticks around for another year. Being the serial killer that he allegedly was why would he ever take the chance ; anyways.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ClosingCLIPPed.jpg
    ClosingCLIPPed.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 131
Stephen2016,

That was my point. Family annihilators frequently take off and established new identity. Rasmussen/Evans established a new identity first, killed his family and then stuck around using the same (false) identity. It seems like he even engaged in petty crime after this all went down. Strange; it makes me suspect the situation is more complex than it may have appeared.

Stephen2016,

That was my point. Family annihilators frequently take off and established new identity. Rasmussen/Evans established a new identity first, killed his family and then stuck around using the same (false) identity. It seems like he even engaged in petty crime after this all went down. Strange; it makes me suspect the situation is more complex than it may have appeared.

And had he killed the victims in 1980 he must of felt their remains would not be found; I would think that was taking a big chance . Disposing of the bodies on a property that has traffic associated with it, ie the owner of the property, people coming and going from the store in any number of directions. Or the barrels could have been emptied. It's too bad a time of death could not be narrowed down more precisely . The store and the apartment burnt down July 4th weekend of 1983. I wonder if people used it as a dumping ground after that. I have to agree about the complexity , there just seems to be aspects that don't add up easily. :moo:

I have wondered why he didn't revert back to the Rasmussen identity after he killed his family or at least after he had a warrant on his head in California. Going about your life using your real name seems the perfect means of avoiding warrants and such that are issued for someone under a false identity. It would be the perfect cover. He could get a valid drivers license, SS number etc. He never did this. Could he have feared criminal charges under that name. If so, he does not appear to have ever shown up as a fugitive under that name but he may have had no way to know.

Could Rasmussen have committed a serious crime in or around 1978 and feared he was subject to arrest and prosecution? Could he have been a fugitive while in NH?

We've all speculated that the woman who went to AZ with Rasmussen could have been one of his victims. If that is the case, it was ample reason to change his name permanently.

Stephen2016,

He may have killed his daughter's mother first, then fled wherever she was and changed his name. We really don't know the exact sequence of events. Although, we have good guesses based on what we know. OTOH, what we know is constantly changing/being added to in this case. I keep hoping that LE will find one new piece of info that will blow this all open and explain it all/identify his victims. JMO.

We've all speculated that the woman who went to AZ with Rasmussen could have been one of his victims. If that is the case, it was ample reason to change his name permanently.

Yes, but that would have been 1974 and it appears that she had another child by a different man after that date. It doesn't preclude the Arizona woman being Elizabeth but it makes it less likely.

He may have killed his daughter's mother first, then fled wherever she was and changed his name. We really don't know the exact sequence of events. Although, we have good guesses based on what we know. OTOH, what we know is constantly changing/being added to in this case. I keep hoping that LE will find one new piece of info that will blow this all open and explain it all/identify his victims. JMO.

Rasmussen could have killed the mother of his daughter and absconded with the child to NH but there would be problems with the timeline.

We know the child had been living in NH only a short while: 1 to 3 months before her death. We know he was in Manchester in 12/79 when he wrote a bad check but information released suggests he began living there earlier, perhaps in 1978.

From what I can tell, Rasmussen/Evans' was hired by his boss at the Waumbec Mill to do some work at the Bear Brook Store and that is how he became familiar with the woods where the barrels were found. Somehow, I don't see this going down in a 3 month period: Arriving in Manchester-finding a job- earning the trust of his boss so he is hired for a side job-becoming familiar with the land near the site of this side job-murdering his family and dumping their bodies there.

A good estimate for the time of death is the period between 5/80 when he reported a wife; Elizabeth at the time of his arrest, and 10/80 when he reported no wife. We do know that "Elizabeth" really existed because she signed foe a verified letter in 1/80. (Is this correct?)

I suspect that LE has more information that fills in the timeline better but we are not privy to it. Still, I strongly suspect Rasmussen/Evan's child arrived in NH after he had established himself there as Evans. But, under what circumstances?

Rasmussen could have killed the mother of his daughter and absconded with the child to NH but there would be problems with the timeline.

We know the child had been living in NH only a short while: 1 to 3 months before her death. We know he was in Manchester in 12/79 when he wrote a bad check but information released suggests he began living there earlier, perhaps in 1978.

From what I can tell, Rasmussen/Evans' was hired by his boss at the Waumbec Mill to do some work at the Bear Brook Store and that is how he became familiar with the woods where the barrels were found. Somehow, I don't see this going down in a 3 month period: Arriving in Manchester-finding a job- earning the trust of his boss so he is hired for a side job-becoming familiar with the land near the site of this side job-murdering his family and dumping their bodies there.

A good estimate for the time of death is the period between 5/80 when he reported a wife; Elizabeth at the time of his arrest, and 10/80 when he reported no wife. We do know that "Elizabeth" really existed because she signed foe a verified letter in 1/80. (Is this correct?)

I suspect that LE has more information that fills in the timeline better but we are not privy to it. Still, I strongly suspect Rasmussen/Evan's child arrived in NH after he had established himself there as Evans. But, under what circumstances?

Could he have killed his child 3 months after arriving and kept her in the basement, then added her to the remains of the others when moving them to the park? From what I understand, LE cannot determine exact year of death, so is it possible he killed them months apart or would that difference of a few months be distinguishable by forensics after years of decomp in the barrels? IDK.

We also don't know for sure that "Elizabeth" is the woman in the barrel. She might be. Or she might be the mother of his child. Or she might be another victim who has not been found. Or she might be a relationship that escaped and she is alive somewhere and oblivious to this case. Although, I agree that it seems likely Elizabeth is the woman in the barrel it's not settled. JMO.

We also don't know for sure that "Elizabeth" is the woman in the barrel. She might be. Or she might be the mother of his child. Or she might be another victim who has not been found. Or she might be a relationship that escaped and she is alive somewhere and oblivious to this case. Although, I agree that it seems likely Elizabeth is the woman in the barrel it's not settled. JMO.

You're right, she could be someone totally unrelated to this case except for the fact she dated him. She may not even be a victim of any kind.
It seems the more we find out, the more unknowns pop up, but I'm still hoping we're closer to id'd the A4 victims.

What if the 3 related victims aren't even associated with Evans. What if Evans didn't act alone ? I would imagine LE must of had or at least looked at other suspects . From what they have said Evans came up in 2014:

union leader January 27th 2017: <----- link to article.

".....[FONT=&amp]That,Kokoski recalled, "was the real Eureka moment, that connection to the victims."[/FONT]
Kokoski said Evans' name had actually surfaced in 2014, but investigators couldn't find anything to tie him to the Allenstown case. "With this California nexus, and the direct link to the victims, that was huge," he said.

"We were all shocked," Schweitzer recalled, "but at the same time very pleased to hear that this was an answer we had been waiting for for a long time."

And now, she said, "We're more optimistic than ever to be able to identify these victims, knowing this piece."...."

My guess is with all the information they should have on Rasmussen they have to know more about him and whom he may have associated with over the years. His child is estimated to be about 2-4 years of age, I believe they think on the higher age of the estimate. So for 4 years from 1980 the child was born in 1978-1976. A few months living in NH. Or if Evans was in NH around 78-79 ... guess DOB could be 76-74 ; 77-75.

My guess is also there has to be records on him as Evans also. Berkshire being a legit company and he working as an electrician there he had to have filed tax returns or at least paid taxes under some type of social security number.

They have more information ... it's pretty apparent they are hoping someone will remember something and inform them of information to fill in the blanks.

I think they have said the estimated date of death was the late 70's ..... but I'd have to find that quote.

:moo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member