GUILTY NH - Camden Hughes, 6, suffocated, Hampton, 14 May 2011 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's not all that hard to kill yourself. If you were despondent and suicidal, you'd make it happen. She may be BP or BPD, but quite often they do the fakey suicide "attempts", too. Couple of my family members with both dx are famous for the "almost" suicide that wasn't even close.

I guess from reading over on FB is that Ian was deeply offended by some of the posters remarks about Juli. The admins or person that created that page took it down.

There has been a new page set up but I am not sure how legit it is. There is a bunch of hinky stuff going on with facebook groups/pages for this little one.

There are people asking for money and donations to be made in Camden's name with no clear idea on just who it is that set up the page. Also there is some confusion on the burial/cost itself. I had read that the couple who found Camden had offered to pay for his burial and that he was to be laid to rest in Maine. I wish I had a link to post but it was on HLN during either Prime News or JVM that I saw this on.

I am disgusted what is all going on concerning the death of this little one. Its bad enough that he was killed by his mother and that his brother is now having to face both the loss of his little brother and the loss of his mother but to have the circus that is being played out on facebook is an outrage!!

Mel

There has been a new page set up but I am not sure how legit it is. There is a bunch of hinky stuff going on with facebook groups/pages for this little one.

There are people asking for money and donations to be made in Camden's name with no clear idea on just who it is that set up the page. Also there is some confusion on the burial/cost itself. I had read that the couple who found Camden had offered to pay for his burial and that he was to be laid to rest in Maine. I wish I had a link to post but it was on HLN during either Prime News or JVM that I saw this on.

I am disgusted what is all going on concerning the death of this little one. Its bad enough that he was killed by his mother and that his brother is now having to face both the loss of his little brother and the loss of his mother but to have the circus that is being played out on facebook is an outrage!!

Mel

On the FB page "Rest in Peace Camden Pierce Hughes" someone (poster) said she knew the family and that she thanks the great state of Maine for all their wonderful support through this sad situation but Ian is headed to NH/ME to pick up Cam and bring him home to TX. And that there will be a funeral in "Grand Prairie" on Saturday.

Hotel manager moved to help ‘pale’ little boy

But Lyons, whose act of charity has caused him pangs of regret, said it was the sight of the “pale, drab little boy” who made him go back out in the hotel parking lot on the afternoon of May 13 and tell the woman from Irving, Texas — who said she only had $32 to pay for the $74 hotel room — that he would cover the difference.

When McCrery checked out early Saturday morning, she dropped off her key in the box and quietly drove off. Lyons said when he looked out his window to see if the mother with the little boy had gone to breakfast, her blue Toyota pickup was gone.

Camden’s body was found that afternoon
off a dirt road in South Berwick, Maine.

“I might have been the last person to see the little boy alive,” he said.

“If she just came to the door and said, ‘I’m having a bad time’ or ‘I’m sad,’ I would have done everything in my power to save that kid.”
:(

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1339266

Miller said McCrery had struggled for financial stability and said many people believed she had a form of mental illness. At one point, she tried to commit suicide, he said.

“Julie had a lot of problems ... We always thought maybe she should be on medication but we knew she would never go down to get it,” Miller said.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/re...99&format=&page=2&listingType=Loc#articleFull

This quote bothers me so much :( I hope she didn't seem definitely mentally ill to them, because it was completely uncontrolled: it doesn't sound like she was in therapy, and she certainly wasn't on meds. I know it's a stretch to know she would kill Camden, but a mentally ill mom who will not go to therapy is a big red flag that the kid might be suffering for that choice.

She was arrested for prostitution in 2009! Did I read that wrong?

Huh-uh. I'm not saying Camden should have been removed, but she could've used a social worker and been checked in with on a regular basis, imho.

In what universe is a mom who 'should be on medication' and has prostituted herself in the past two years a completely wonderful mom to a six-year-ols? She clearly needed to be working on some issues, with professional help!

Just mho, but I mean it, darnit!

This case is so tragic on so many levels. My heart breaks for Camden, his brother, the people that found Camden, the neighbors who cried and said they would have taken him in a heartbeat, the hotel manager who regrets not being able to help, the grandmother who thanked the people of Maine for honoring her grandson, everyone involved really.

The brother must be going nuts. I cannot fathom how he feels. It is a tragedy of epic proportions. I feel so, so sorry for him.

Then there's the mother, who killed her own baby. I do not believe it was an accident. The autopsy photo clearly showed bruising and swelling around his little mouth. I think she either intended to kill him and planned it or it was a spur of the moment thing. I lean more towards the former.

Is she mentally ill? I get the real sense that she is.

Someone compared her to casey anthony. I do not. She looks more like Andrea Yates to me, in her demeanor, etc. She looks to me like mentally ill people often look. Here's Andrea Yates at a court appearance (sorry, it's in Spanish): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHj1_BI9BHQ&playnext=1&list=PL1845D7B9C94EB0AA

casey only cried when she found she was going to stay in jail and not get bail. She never cried at hearing the charges. She smiled broadly and in a flirty manner right before she was arrested.

But this woman seems to be a shell and cried as the charges sunk in.

I don't know what to think yet. I just don't understand how the maternal instinct to protect ones' children and keep them safe from harm does not survive mental illness. i always felt it was so deeply embedded that it would arise even if someone was crazy.

It angers me that someone who is feeling suicidal or homicidal towards their kid would not seek help. There was no reason for this to happen.

This quote bothers me so much :( I hope she didn't seem definitely mentally ill to them, because it was completely uncontrolled: it doesn't sound like she was in therapy, and she certainly wasn't on meds. I know it's a stretch to know she would kill Camden, but a mentally ill mom who will not go to therapy is a big red flag that the kid might be suffering for that choice.

She was arrested for prostitution in 2009! Did I read that wrong?

Huh-uh. I'm not saying Camden should have been removed, but she could've used a social worker and been checked in with on a regular basis, imho.

In what universe is a mom who 'should be on medication' and has prostituted herself in the past two years a completely wonderful mom to a six-year-ols? She clearly needed to be working on some issues, with professional help!
Just mho, but I mean it, darnit!

On the prostitution charges, I believe I read it was back in 2004 before she had Cam.

On the prostitution charges, I believe I read it was back in 2004 before she had Cam.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that's not true.

Quote, From this article [emphasis mine]:http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Family-friends-helped-ID-missing-Irving-boy-122208584.html

"But this isn't the first time there were hints of a troubled side. Two years ago, McCrery was arrested for prostitution, leaving Camden without a ride home from daycare.
"It ended up being a big ordeal," Christian said.
The von Atzigens say, however, that McCrery had been doing well lately. She had a job with an auto parts business, and she bought a home.
"It wasn't the nicest, but at least she had something that nobody could take," Christian said.""

In the last moments of Camden Pierce Hughes’ short life, a stranger — a Hampton, N.H., hotel manager working the evening shift — first turned the child and his mother away only to take pity on the pallid boy and pay for half the bill for one night’s stay.

His motivation for the kind act was pity, but solely for the child. The mother has already told him that she is all alone, virtually penniless, far from home and transporting a gravely ill child in a truck --- but he didn't feel any pity for her, just the child? :waitasec:

“What if I let her go out on the road? Maybe she could have gotten stopped for speeding. Maybe she could have talked to somebody. Maybe she could have gone down a different path.”

Odd comment. How would offering JM a room that night stop her from "talking to somebody"? Or "going down a different path"? Getting stopped for speeding would make no difference, except that the local police would have asked a few questions about the condition of the child.

"He just looked tired. I knew something was wrong with him. I could just tell. He just wasn’t like a kid, sparky and looking around, like a what-am-I-doing-here kind of thing,” said Lyons, adding when the mother, Julianne McCrery, 42, first came into the office, she was carrying her son and bearing a sad look on her face.

The best way for a hotel manager to handle this situation would be to insist on a detailed explanation of the child's condition and to offer to provide assistance in obtaining medical help. If the woman were uncooperative, the manager would then have reasonable grounds for suspicion of neglect or abuse to report to the local police.

However, there is no harm in reporting such suspicions, even without being sure. Best to err on the side of caution. For all he knew, he might have been the third or fourth person to report that she seemed to be acting strangely, and the police might already have been searching for her and the child.

The manager's account suggests that Camden was already dying before he entered the hotel.

“I said, ‘Do you need money for food?’ She said, ‘No I got it.’

Better to ask the child directly if he were hungry, and then observe how both the child and the parent each react.

Also, why ask her if she needed money for food? Not like she could run out to a supermarket or McD's with her child so ill.

Better to offer food itself rather than money for food. That way the money can't be used for drugs. Again a refusal would have seemed suspicious, since JM had already claimed that she had no money to pay for the room.

Generally, an hotel manager needs to be able to deal with all types of medical emergencies, and be somewhat street-smart about the ways of drug addicts and criminals to protect their guests from danger.

... That night I was going to give her $50 for a hotel room for another night. I figured she was going back to Texas or somewhere.”

Hotels can sometimes waive fees for charity & use the waiver as tax deduction. Did he discuss this situation with his supervisor or other managers or employees? Why didn't he ask exactly where she was going and why?

Hmmm ...

“If she just came to the door and said, ‘I’m having a bad time’ or ‘I’m sad,’ I would have done everything in my power to save that kid.”

The child, but not the mother? At that point in time, not knowing that she might be a murderer, would she too not have seemed worthy of saving?

He states that all of his concern was focused on the child, but he recounts apparently two long interactions with JM (once in his office with the child in her arms, and also again in the parking lot), not mentioning any statement that the child made either to JM or to himself.

Seems to me as if this particular manager was going way overboard to avoid confrontation with this woman, and also he seems as if he may have been protecting her too much from scrutiny (that is, by not bringing her desperate situation to anyone else's attention, etc).

I am not going to be too hard on this manager because he did reach out to help her. His job is one in which he sees many difficult and hard luck situations on a daily basis. He probably has learned to do just what he can do. He cannot intervene everyday.
And he is now living with a big burden, and it is on her, and not on him, imo.

But Lyons, whose act of charity has caused him pangs of regret, said it was the sight of the “pale, drab little boy” who made him go back out in the hotel parking lot on the afternoon of May 13 and tell the woman from Irving, Texas — who said she only had $32 to pay for the $74 hotel room — that he would cover the difference.

When McCrery checked out early Saturday morning, she dropped off her key in the box and quietly drove off. Lyons said when he looked out his window to see if the mother with the little boy had gone to breakfast, her blue Toyota pickup was gone.

No TV or radios at this motel? No newspapers? 3 people so far have said they interacted with Juli at this motel, were aware she was driving a truck, yet not one saw LE's news blitz? Strange...

No TV or radios at this motel? No newspapers? 3 people so far have said they interacted with Juli at this motel, were aware she was driving a truck, yet not one saw LE's news blitz? Strange...

Wow that is so true! Camden's little face was plastered everywhere and the truck. I guess they just never put two and two together??

That just makes me cry. How awful for that guy, who obviously has a very kind heart.

This, along with something someone posted upthread, makes me think about the importance of initiating conversation if someone seems down or upset. It wouldn't always be possible, and it wouldn't always be fruitful, but maybe it's worth a try to open up the door for someone to let you know if they need help.

Wow that is so true! Camden's little face was plastered everywhere and the truck. I guess they just never put two and two together??

Well, at least one of the people said that he didn't actually see the boy at all.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that's not true.

Quote, From this article [emphasis mine]:http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Family-friends-helped-ID-missing-Irving-boy-122208584.html

"But this isn't the first time there were hints of a troubled side. Two years ago, McCrery was arrested for prostitution, leaving Camden without a ride home from daycare.
"It ended up being a big ordeal," Christian said.
The von Atzigens say, however, that McCrery had been doing well lately. She had a job with an auto parts business, and she bought a home.
"It wasn't the nicest, but at least she had something that nobody could take," Christian said.""

Yes, upthread the date for the most recent arrest was 2009. Her boyfriend mentioned that she had turned her life around two years ago (when she hooked up with him and became a Christian). So maybe that arrest marked the end of her criminally risky behavior.

I find the comment "It ended up being a big ordeal" to be a little odd. The implication is that this behavior (prostitution) is not so unusual. Perhaps she was engaging in sex in exchange for drugs (or money to get drugs), which in some circles is *not* so unusual.

I am really curious about Camden's dad, especially seeing that Camden was acknowledged to be extremely bright. I wonder if he could have been a customer.

I'm sorry for all of these circumstances. It is very, very sad.

So he was alive when he left the hotel. I wonder what time it was??
I was under the impression he died in the hotel and that's why nh LE was searching it, and also that is why she is being charged in NH. Hampton isn't very far from the Maine border...where did she kill him??
Did she stop somewhere else or did she do it in the car?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheTodd
Back