GUILTY NH - Camden Hughes, 6, suffocated, Hampton, 14 May 2011 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Such a beautiful little Boy. RIP Camden.. My condolences go out to his big brother Ian and the rest of the family..

Just had dental surgery and kids are running and screaming around the living room but I will say this, for the moment: I don't trust this woman's BF. It's not to imply he did it etc, but his statements don't hold water with me. I'm not sure how he treated this woman and her child but I am not convinced he had her best interests at heart.

I am not going to be too hard on this manager because he did reach out to help her.

The hotel manager was not acting in a very professional way.

His job is one in which he sees many difficult and hard luck situations on a daily basis.

Yes, that is why his report on his own behavior seems so odd.

He probably has learned to do just what he can do. He cannot intervene everyday.

The manager asked no questions about the boy's condition. What kind of hotel would ignore a seriously ill child? And, intervention could be as simple as calling for a taxi or ambulance to the local hospital ER.

And he is now living with a big burden, and it is on her, and not on him, imo.

As manager of a hotel, part of his responsibility is to help people in medical emergencies. The woman was supposedly carrying an unresponsive 6-year old boy in her arms? And, he asked no questions? And, didn't report the possible abuse or neglect to the police?

The manager's report might also suggest a conflict with the report of the guest who said that he overheard the woman yelling irately at her son. If the son were so exhausted that he had to be carried into the hotel, why would she be yelling at him?

Of course, the woman could have been totally out-of-touch with reality; but isn't it more likely that the child seemed in normal health at the time they checked into the hotel?

Sounds as though the manager was more interested in protecting the woman from scrutiny than the child's welfare.

Therefore, maybe he already knew her from somewhere. The name "Camden" suggests some tie to Maine.

He also may be trying to place the murder at some other location than his hotel by suggesting that Camden was already suffering a drug overdose when the mother first appeared at his hotel.

M&D live in York County on Drakes Island/Wells. That is really interesting as I went to wiki and you are 100% right. And I have no clue why everyone in the area where Mom lives in Southern Maine, call it "Downeast Maine". My husband did all the design and construction for the Amtrak train that runs from Boston to Portland (back in 2000) and they named that train "The Downeaster" …. while now reading wiki, that train does not even go to the Northern coast.

I live not too far from your M&D, and pretty close to the dump site, in Ogunquit.

Not related to this quote, but I too want to take it easy on this hotel manager, I don't blame him for not grilling her about the sick kid. We know in hindsight that he probably was doped up on cough meds, but any kid with a fever will be lethargic, so that's not very suspicious to me, except in hindsight. I wouldn't expect a hotel manager to suspect abuse or neglect.

We are discussing a gravely ill child, not a pet French poodle. The manager had both a professional and a moral obligation to ask what was wrong with the child and if he needed any medical help. He should have been aware of the possibility of drug overdose and alert to the symptoms, which is why that part of his story doesn't ring true. If he wasn't sure what to do or say, he could have called local police for advice.

OK, dumb question but not knowing enough about all this … if someone is in a jail cell and sitting there … how could they committ suicide? How do they know she is suicidal and needing to be watched?

I am trying to remember what the craigslist killer did, cut his wrists, right … how?

Sorry if these are dumb ? but all of you at WS are awesome and will give me the right answers. Thx.

The hotel manager was not acting in a very professional way.

Yes, that is why his report on his own behavior seems so odd.

The manager asked no questions about the boy's condition. What kind of hotel would ignore a seriously ill child? And, intervention could be as simple as calling for a taxi or ambulance to the local hospital ER.

As manager of a hotel, part of his responsibility is to help people in medical emergencies. The woman was supposedly carrying an unresponsive 6-year old boy in her arms? And, he asked no questions? And, didn't report the possible abuse or neglect to the police?

The manager's report might also suggest a conflict with the report of the guest who said that he overheard the woman yelling irately at her son. If the son were so exhausted that he had to be carried into the hotel, why would she be yelling at him?

Of course, the woman could have been totally out-of-touch with reality; but isn't it more likely that the child seemed in normal health at the time they checked into the hotel?

Sounds as though the manager was more interested in protecting the woman from scrutiny than the child's welfare.

Therefore, maybe he already knew her from somewhere. The name "Camden" suggests some tie to Maine.

He also may be trying to place the murder at some other location than his hotel by suggesting that Camden was already suffering a drug overdose when the mother first appeared at his hotel.

I appreciate your thoughts and insights into this but it's more than a bit far reaching to implicate the hotel manager. A good deed never goes unpunished.

I agree that he should lighten up on himself. Everyone feels this way after a tragedy--that they somehow could or should have done something to prevent it. But I do not see how turning away a poor mother with a sick child could have been helpful, even in this case. It would be really messed up if he felt he ought to refuse help to people in the future because of this awful experience.

The hotel manager should have waived the room fee entirely, and insisted on medical attention for the child. If the mother tried to flee, then he should have called the police.

OK, dumb question but not knowing enough about all this … if someone is in a jail cell and sitting there … how could they committ suicide? How do they know she is suicidal and needing to be watched?

I am trying to remember what the craigslist killer did, cut his wrists, right … how?

Sorry if these are dumb ? but all of you at WS are awesome and will give me the right answers. Thx.

People are pretty creative when desperate, even bashing their into a wall repeatedly to "get the job done." Inmates will find ways to make nooses from clothing and bedding and find something to hang from. They slash veins and arteries with all sorts of inventive shivs and even a bit of cleaning agents can serve as a poison. There's a lot more, I'm sure, but those come to mind. Keeping an eye on an inmate allows watch for unusual behavior.

We are discussing a gravely ill child

Can someone link to MSM where it was said that Camden was gravely ill?

If he was carried in to the motel lobby, it could be because he was already sleeping and the mom didn't want to leave him alone in the truck...

When I was a kid, my parents managed motels and hotels. To be blunt, you see alot of carp and hard luck cases. Too many of them to help. We did what we could when we could. But there was no way my parents were responsible for calling the police on someone that did not appear to be breaking the law.

The hotel manager should have waived the room fee entirely, and insisted on medical attention for the child. If the mother tried to flee, then he should have called the police.

I agree with both sides. It would have been amazing if the hotel manager would have tried to intervene....maybe he could have saved Camden's life (for the time being). Maybe anyone who crossed her path that evening could have done something, anything....people don't do that anymore. You see story after story about people lying in the street, woman getting raped in restooms, etc. and people walking right on by choosing not to get involved. The show "What would you do" is a great example of that. People who involve themselves (probably most of us here, I hope) are unfortunately the minority.

More than likely, at the time the hotel mgr probably thought Camden was sleeping but now that he knows the whole story he has filled in the blanks. Hopefully, he never has to be put in this situation again....I bet if he does he'll know what to do.

Can someone link to MSM where it was said that Camden was gravely ill?

If he was carried in to the motel lobby, it could be because he was already sleeping and the mom didn't want to leave him alone in the truck...

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1339266

“He just looked tired. I knew something was wrong with him. I could just tell. He just wasn’t like a kid, sparky and looking around, like a what-am-I-doing-here kind of thing,” said Lyons, adding when the mother, Julianne McCrery, 42, first came into the office, she was carrying her son and bearing a sad look on her face.

How could you pull a 6-year old out of truck and not wake him up? And, though Camden was small in size, she would probably have had difficulty carrying him unassisted.

I agree with both sides. It would have been amazing if the hotel manager would have tried to intervene....maybe he could have saved Camden's life (for the time being). Maybe anyone who crossed her path that evening could have done something, anything....people don't do that anymore. You see story after story about people lying in the street, woman getting raped in restooms, etc. and people walking right on by choosing not to get involved. The show "What would you do" is a great example of that. People who involve themselves (probably most of us here, I hope) are unfortunately the minority.

More than likely, at the time the hotel mgr probably thought Camden was sleeping but now that he knows the whole story he has filled in the blanks. Hopefully, he never has to be put in this situation again....I bet if he does he'll know what to do.

If an ordinary person in the street were to respond in a clueless way that might be understandable, but a hotel manager has a professional responsibility to care for and protect the safety of the hotel guests --- including Camden.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jstuff
Back