NH NH - Connecticut River Valley Killer (1980s)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Body found in Connecticut River in Longmeadow, police investigating
LONGMEADOW – Police and firefighters recovered the body of a person in the Connecticut River Saturday afternoon.

The victim was spotted at about 1:30 p.m. in the area of known as the Meadows, which is across the river from Six Flags in Agawam, Police Capt. Gary Fontaine said.

Agawam and Longmeadow Fire Departments responded to the discovery and assisted in recovering the person, he said.

The body was sent to the Chief Medical Examiner’s Office for an autopsy, he said.

Longmeadow and Massachusetts State Police detectives are investigating the discovery, he said.
This is the third body that has been found in Springfield or Longmeadow in three weeks. On May 17 the body of a male was found in the river in Longmeadow off Dunn Road, about a mile where the person was found on Saturday. On May 30 the body of a man was recovered near the Basketball Hall of Fame.

James Leydon, spokesman for Hampden District Attorney Anthony Gulluni said there is no public safety concern related to the May 30 discovery, which is being investigated by State Police assigned to Gulluni’s office.

"nothing to see here people!!! Please disperse." I don't know. Killer never identified. Bodies starting to turn up in the CT river....he would likely be pretty old, but hey...GSK is pretty old and he seemed spry until recently...

I couldn't agree more.

Hi Lynn-Marie,

I've been one of your chief critics for a long, long time now and feel like you have hopelessly compromised this case with your Michael Nicholau obsession, to the point where you've led witnesses as well as survivors (Jane Boroski, who's since ID'ed someone else as her attacker and Nicholau's surviving family members) and the general public to the foregone conclusion that Michael Nicholau and the CT River Valley Killer are one in the same. Even a cursory look at the evidence compared to the behavior patterns of Nicholau would lead in precisely the opposite direction.

Nicholau (Who I will hereby refer to as MN) has all the profile traits of a domestic abuser/mass killer than that of a serial murderer. It's important to note that he committed suicide after killing his wife, a common hallmark of the domestic murderer. It's very much a cut-and-dried case.

You also go out of your way to link MN to Gary Westover and have pressured his family into conceding that it's a possibility. His name isn't on the list of people Westover gave, though, and you well know this. Why you continue to push this assertion is beyond me.

MN was a transplant to New Hampshire, especially the area where the crimes took place. He is not known to have lived in or even visited Claremont and the places where the bodies of Courtemanche, Fried, and Morse were found were remote and not well-known even to many locals. This points directly toward someone with deep, longstanding ties to the area, which MN simply did not possess.

I already discussed the Agnew murder above, and there's no evidence to link MN to that one especially and I'm not even convinced it's a part of the original series of crimes in and around Claremont. If the Westover confession is true (and to me, that seems to be the case), when taken with the physical evidence, we have a highly disorganized offender or group, which is a stark contrast from the Claremont/Kellyville crimes, which were the work of a highly organized offender determined to leave no trace of his activities. (All three bodies were mere bones when discovered.)

I'm leaving Lynda Moore out completely because I'm 100% that one was an isolated incident and the young man that police zeroed in on in that case was most certainly the killer or, if he wasn't, someone very much like him was.

Lastly, Jane Boroski. Yet another disorganized crime that left a survivor, and the strongest feather in your case against MS due to the Jeep Wagoneer. Yes, Jane ID'ed MN, but only many years later and after much prodding by you. And let's not forget that she later fingered someone else, so one can only conclude that her recall of the attack is clouded by time and the fog of trauma. It's unfortunate, but not a unique situation.

Oh, and let's not forget your attempt to link MN to the Colonial Parkway Murders in Virginia, crimes in which the killer's motive, victimology, and signature could not be more different from the CT River Valley Killings. Never mind the fact that MN's move to VA predates the first crime in that series by less than a year. He was surely no more familiar with the backroads and waterways of the Parkway area than he was with Claremont and Kellyville in the CT River Valley region of NH, and though the Parkway crimes were investigated by a ton of different agencies and private investigators who came to conflicting conclusions at times, one thing they all agreed on was that whoever was responsible had a high level of comfort and confidence in his knowledge of local geography - something MN could not have had.

I commend your efforts, as a new set of eyes is always welcome, but respectfully, you've gotten way too close to your theory and it seems, at this point, to be driven more by ego than evidence. Michael Nicholau was not one of the CT River Valley Killers, nor was he the Colonial Parkway Killer. Instead, he was a domestic abuser, a wife-killing creep of the sort that are way too common in this world.

EDIT:
The most important thing against Nicholau is the part I left out - he lived in Massachusetts during the CT River Valley murders!

The man from Kellyville still lives there, or did as of a couple years ago. His house is still creepy and festooned with weird signs.

As for Tallman, it's an absolute fact that he's done some pretty terrible things. Putting his possible involvement in the murder of Heidi Martin aside, he has a long rap sheet for sex offenses was, last I checked, on supervised parole in Florida (though I remember hearing he may have moved back north, so perhaps he's completed his sentence).

I agree totally with just about every comment I've read of yours regarding the CVK. His "long rap sheet" is kind of hard to find. As an aside, your writing is succulent!
I have gone down the CVK wormhole in years past and I am finding myself back here again. Mind if I send you a message? I'd like to compare notes/theories if you are interested.

I agree totally with just about every comment I've read of yours regarding the CVK. His "long rap sheet" is kind of hard to find. As an aside, your writing is succulent!
I have gone down the CVK wormhole in years past and I am finding myself back here again. Mind if I send you a message? I'd like to compare notes/theories if you are interested.

Thank you! And of course, you're more than welcome to send me a message. I don't get on here terribly often but given that this is THE case that haunts me, I'd be happy to discuss it. Cheers!

I'm new to this case/series, a dear friend of mine knew some suspected victims and herself had a very odd experience back then within the suspected area near claremont, so I am starting to dive in to this wormhole. Does anyone have a map/list of suspected victims/sites for abductions/bodies found? I would greatly appreciate it! (And yes I will be researching on my own as well but I know that so many cases seem to be possible so getting a better starting point is my goal) Thanks in advance!

I'm new to this case/series, a dear friend of mine knew some suspected victims and herself had a very odd experience back then within the suspected area near claremont, so I am starting to dive in to this wormhole. Does anyone have a map/list of suspected victims/sites for abductions/bodies found? I would greatly appreciate it! (And yes I will be researching on my own as well but I know that so many cases seem to be possible so getting a better starting point is my goal) Thanks in advance!
Supposedly there are seven potential victims of CRVK. A book was written by Philip Ginsburg, The Shadow of Death, that hints at certain suspects, though he does not name them. Personally, I don’t think all seven murders are related and I do not think Michael Nickelau is the suspected killer, as some seem to believe. upload_2021-4-19_8-10-59.png

I'm aware of the book and agree that the information presented isn't all seemingly correct. I'm hoping in coming here I can get another idea of cases or possible cases and even some ruled out or possible suspects. Thank you for the reply!

The man from Kellyville still lives there, or did as of a couple years ago. His house is still creepy and festooned with weird signs.

As for Tallman, it's an absolute fact that he's done some pretty terrible things. Putting his possible involvement in the murder of Heidi Martin aside, he has a long rap sheet for sex offenses was, last I checked, on supervised parole in Florida (though I remember hearing he may have moved back north, so perhaps he's completed his sentence).
Yes Delbert is living back in Claremont, he is a good friend of one of my friends. eww just creeps me out tbo.

Just looking over the facts in this case, please correct me if im off

So the first suspected attack was in October of 78, then the next wasn't for another 6 years (1984) where there were 2 , just 2 months apart.

Then it seems as if there was 1 per year for the next 5 years, with the last attack being in (1988) which was unsuccessful though the victim was stabbed 27 times

All of the victims were stabbed

Not for all the murders. He wasn’t in the area when some occurred. I never thought they were all connected but some seem to be, especially the three hitchhikers.
Are we sure he wasn’t in the area? He was known to leave whenever he wanted. That’s why his supposed alibi for his wife’s disappearance means nothing.

The consensus among the people in Claremont is that "Richard Bordeau" is the CRVK, at least the ones that have shared their beliefs with me. As for his real name, I can tell you that Ginsburg was clever in choosing the pseudonym, much like he was with "Barker" being Oakes. I'd prefer not to use "Bordeau's" real name, as he's still alive; still living in the same Victorian house in Kellyville. And, as of now, still innocent.
Is the victorian house that Ginsburg describes still standing in Kellyville?

New to Websleuths, not new to this cases / these cases. I read Ginsberg’s book long ago and it haunted me.I do not believe that the 7 victims were all killed by the same person. I seriously question how many were killed by Nicholaou. I think that some probably were. These cases are usually thought of as having 7 victims - I think more cases may be connected. Maybe many more, and maybe not confined to this specific area. I don’t believe at all that Lynda Moore’s case is connected.

The names all confuse me, but that house with the odd signs in Kellyville is one I definitely hope to never break down near when driving in the area.

Just saw this, and wondered if she has a thread? I did not see one. Homicide of 26-year-old woman last seen in Claremont remains unsolved after nearly 40 years

Lynda Moore's murder was a strange one, and really just awful. I lived nearby and was a teen when that happened, and remember a lot of people suspected her husband was involved somehow. As an adult, I tend to agree I do not think her case fits the CRV profile.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbmeadows98
Back