NH - Djeswende ‘Wendy’, 66, & Stephen Reid, 67, Shot on Hiking Trail, Concord, Apr 2022 *Logan Clegg Arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am more inclined to think this has to do with their work with refugees, someone who didn't appreciate it - either a local who didn't like it or an actual refugee who wanted the door closed after him.

Or, a refugee who wanted some doors opened wider- well, at least for a selected some.

Refugees "double dipping" in regards to social benefits from multiple states, federal and state agencies or even multiple countries ( US and Canada) are not unheard of.

In some cases, the double dipping stems from individual creativity by the refugee. In other cases, however, it stems from organized criminal groups. The groups approach the refugees (usually from their ethnic group or related to it) and present the scheme to them.

The crime group then arranges the filing of benefits paperwork, travel in regards to benefits applications, token residency in other states if needed, and false or altered identities if needed. They also convert food stamps or apartment vouchers into cash and even file appeals if one of their applicants is rejected for benefits etc.

Once fraudulent benefits (preferably of the steady and long term variety) are granted, the crime groups gets a cut of them. As large numbers of people can be "facilitated" in regards to double dipping, the cuts can add up to very large amounts of money.

Anyways, perhaps the victim was asking too many questions about suspicious applications, was denying too many applications, or, perhaps had refused bribes to uhmm..."expedite" certain fraudulent benefits applications?

Last edited:
Or, a refugee who wanted some doors opened wider- well, at least for a selected some.

Refugees "double dipping" in regards to social benefits from multiple states, federal and state agencies or even multiple countries ( US and Canada) are not unheard of.

In some cases, the double dipping stems from individual creativity by the refugee. In other cases, however, it stems from organized criminal groups. The groups approach the refugees (usually from their ethnic group or related to it) and present the scheme to them.

The crime group then arranges the filing of benefits paperwork, travel in regards to benefits applications, token residency in other states if needed, and false or altered identities if needed. They also convert food stamps or apartment vouchers into cash and even file appeals if one of their applicants is rejected for benefits etc.

Once benefits (preferably of the long term variety) are granted, the crime groups gets a cut of them. As large numbers of people can be "facilitated" in regards to double dipping, the cuts can add up to very large amounts of money.

Anyways, perhaps the victim was asking too many questions about suspicious applications, was issuing too many denials, or perhaps had refused bribes to expedite fraudulent benefits applications.
That's fascinating. I don't really know as much as I would like about how foreign ethnic organized crime works on US soil other than the traditional Mexican/Columbian and Italian and Irish.

I'm sure fresh refugees that immediately become entangled in organized benefit fraud like that could be killed with little to no consequences so that casual killing might have extended to people the gangsters might not have really thought of as US Citizens like this couple.

Once fraudulent benefits (preferably of the steady and long term variety) are granted, the crime groups gets a cut of them. As large numbers of people can be "facilitated" in regards to double dipping, the cuts can add up to very large amounts of money.

Anyways, perhaps the victim was asking too many questions about suspicious applications, was denying too many applications, or, perhaps had refused bribes to uhmm..."expedite" certain fraudulent benefits applications?
Do you have a source that confirms the double-dipping you are talking about has occurred?

I'm seeing other kinds of immigrant/refugee fraud discussed when I search Google but not this kind of gaming the system.

Not doubting it can happen but would especially like to know of any connection the Reid's might have to organizations or individuals accused or convicted of this fraud.

Thank you.

MOO

According to a source on refugees in Concord, NH:
Concord — Refugees in Towns
"“Housing for immigrants and New Americans is concentrated on the Heights and Loudon Road,” said Barbara Seebart, State Refugee Coordinator at the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services (NHDHHS)."

Loudon Road is where the Reid family lives.

In some online phone book I find an address on Bow St. The house on that address was sold in November 2020. Were they living there in 2020,
or is this a much older address of them> The apartment complex where they currently lived is on Loudon Road. Apparently there are also many refugees housed nearby. Was choosing there current residence related to their work with refugees?

"“Housing for immigrants and New Americans is concentrated on the Heights and Loudon Road,” said Barbara Seebart, State Refugee Coordinator at the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services (NHDHHS)."

In some online phone book I find an address on Bow St. The house on that address was sold in November 2020. Were they living there in 2020,
or is this a much older address of them> The apartment complex where they currently lived is on Loudon Road. Apparently there are also many refugees housed nearby. Was choosing there current residence related to their work with refugees?
Good detective work!

Do you have a source that confirms the double-dipping you are talking about has occurred?

Not doubting it can happen but would especially like to know of any connection the Reid's might have to organizations or individuals accused or convicted of this fraud.

Thank you.

Here are some references: The janitor filed 500 false refugee applications. He might have been working for somebody else
Janitor behind fraudulent refugee claims to be sentenced | Ottawa Sun
EXCLUSIVE U.S. suspects 4,000 cases of fraud in Iraqi refugee program -documents
Iraqi National Pleads Guilty to Conspiracy to Defraud U.S. Refugee Program
These sources dont specify who is committing the double dipped food stamps, but humans are humans and if US citizens are doing it, so are refugees.
https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-...nrollees-are-collecting-benefits-in-multiple/
Fighting Welfare Fraud

The victim's refugee services office would not have direct connections. Rather, the organized crime groups arrange for the people to appear at the placement office for benefits applications. The groups may often work through an intermediary, say a particular attorney or private services provider. This allows them to e two steps away:

Refugee services provider - fraud / intermediary- Crime Group.

What the refugee services provider may notice could be "cookie cutter" applications- all prepared by one person, frequent use of one drop address, evidence of identity, residency etc. is very similar.

The victim's husband worked for the US government. As a result, he may have been aware of various fraud schemes and his wife's office started notifying authorities of suspicious activity.

But..... the big gaping hole in the theory is that to my knowledge, no organized group involved in this has ever gotten violent. Instead, they just to somewhere else: "NH placement office is no longer easy? OK, lets move the operation to San Francisco- no need to get violent".

One possible exception could be if the group hired a street gang as stringers. Such a gang might not have good risk / reward analytical skills and rejected the usual "move operation to SF" practice as too complicated?

Last edited:
From Alton Woods to Broken Ground Trails, retracing the last movements of slain Concord couple

Snippet below; bolding by me:

"Steve and Wendy Reid returned to Concord three years ago and retired at Alton Woods. Last week, the outdoorsy couple in their 60s went for a walk at nearby Broken Ground trails. Their bodies were found days later. They were killed by multiple gunshots and their deaths were ruled a double homicide. Police are still investigating dozens of tips and no arrests have been made.

It’s not the only violent death to shake residents of the apartments. Last October, another Concord resident, 31-year-old Cody Tewell, was fatally shot there.

An autopsy showed that Tewell died from gunshot wounds in his head and neck in a case that the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office has said is completely unrelated to the Reids’ murders. No one has been charged with shooting Tewell
."

From Alton Woods to Broken Ground Trails, retracing the last movements of slain Concord couple

Snippet below; bolding by me:

"Steve and Wendy Reid returned to Concord three years ago and retired at Alton Woods. Last week, the outdoorsy couple in their 60s went for a walk at nearby Broken Ground trails. Their bodies were found days later. They were killed by multiple gunshots and their deaths were ruled a double homicide. Police are still investigating dozens of tips and no arrests have been made.

It’s not the only violent death to shake residents of the apartments. Last October, another Concord resident, 31-year-old Cody Tewell, was fatally shot there.

An autopsy showed that Tewell died from gunshot wounds in his head and neck in a case that the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office has said is completely unrelated to the Reids’ murders. No one has been charged with shooting Tewell
."

The previous homicide was a domestic violence-related. A woman killed a man. She is a veteran.

Concord Police Investigate Shooting Inside Alton Woods Apartment

Last edited:
The previous homicide was a domestic violence-related. A woman killed a man. She is a veteran.

The article above, published April 28 of this year, states no one's been charged in the death of Cody Tewell, and I can't seem to find any news sources that explain the death as being domestic in nature...?

In theory someone from any state could have been in the area since they may have traveled there for Easter. I just don’t think a lot of people from MA are traveling to this particular trail but all it takes is one.
True, but I was thinking of someone with a connection that kept bringing them back to the area. For me, it was my grandparents.

Very interesting. My gut is that IF they were targeted, it would be more personal than hate crime. Did they get someone kicked out of their housing or report domestic violence? Hopefully if anything like that is the case, the police or FBI are aware and just staying mum while they seek out evidence and work to build a case.

Concord Couple Homicide Case Update: FBI, Detectives Expand East Concord Area Canvass

CONCORD, NH — Federal Bureau of Investigation agents and Concord police canvassed East Concord on Monday, speaking to residents and asking about security cameras to gather more evidence in the Stephen and Djeswende Reid homicide investigation.

The couple, who moved a few years ago from Burlington, Vermont, to Concord to retire, was killed in a double-shooting on the Marsh Loop Trail on April 21. Since that time, investigators have been analyzing dozens of tips and leads an effort to solve the crimes.

On Monday, investigators visited homes to the west of the trail — expanding the canvass area to East Side Drive, Portsmouth Street, Curtisville Road, and other areas of the city, as much as two miles from the area where the couple was killed.

<snip>

Brenda Perkins
, a local real estate agent, who lives in East Concord about two miles from the homicide scene, said FBI agents visited her asking about security cameras at her home and questions about the investigation. In a note on Facebook, she said the two men did not show badges.

Perkins said she took a picture of their vehicle — a silver Ford Taurus with Massachusetts plates, and called the police, who confirmed agents were scouting for tips. The vehicle was also seen on Portsmouth Street, where two men spoke with a resident not far from the trailhead. One of the agents had a laptop on the car's hood during the conversation.

Very glad to hear that the FBI agents are actively involved and canvassing the area!

From what I have read, this couple seems to have elected to live a life that prioritized helping others over personal enrichment or fame and settled into a happy and quiet retirement together. It's heartbreaking. I am happy to see more resources being deployed to investigate their murders. I want to see this case solved!

]
100% agree that hate crime/murder is a real probability here.
Doesn't have to be from a location near Concord NH.
Didn't someone drive many states away to shoot an abortion doctor a few years ago?
I agree that as hate crime is a distinct possibility and that people can drive long distances to attack select people for ideological reasons.

This includes murdering an abortionist or attempting to murder anti gay marriage activists as in this case.
DC shooter wanted to kill as many as possible, prosecutors say | CNN
Assassination of George Tiller - Wikipedia

But..... Both the abortionist and the Family Research Center are high profile and thus more likely to be noticed by ideological opponents and more likely to be attacked by terrorists.

Though the victims held pro refugee beliefs and one victim worked at a placement office, neither of them appeared to be high profile. They were not vocal activists, widely read bloggers, protest organizers etc. Nor, do they seem the type engage in escalating discussions on line, or in person, with ideological opponents.

This seems to detract from the possibility that they were sought out and attacked as individuals for their refugee beliefs. But, they were, however, readily recognizable as being an inter racial couple...

I agree that as hate crime is a distinct possibility and that people can drive long distances to attack select people for ideological reasons.

This includes murdering an abortionist or attempting to murder anti gay marriage activists as in this case.
DC shooter wanted to kill as many as possible, prosecutors say | CNN
Assassination of George Tiller - Wikipedia

But..... Both the abortionist and the Family Research Center are high profile and thus more likely to be noticed by ideological opponents and more likely to be attacked by terrorists.

Though the victims held pro refugee beliefs and one victim worked at a placement office, neither of them appeared to be high profile. They were not vocal activists, widely read bloggers, protest organizers etc. Nor, do they seem the type engage in escalating discussions on line, or in person, with ideological opponents.

This seems to detract from the possibility that they were sought out and attacked as individuals for their refugee beliefs. But, they were, however, readily recognizable as being an inter racial couple...

You are right that the Reids don't seem to be high profile. If the motive was related to their work with refugees, then it likely would have been someone local. Refugees were placed within Concord, even the same neighborhood where the Reids lived. There may be a violent person
that was strongly opposed to this. Within this small community, the Reid family may have had some visibility. I would like to know what
refugee organization the Reids are working with. Perhaps these organizations had faced some threats.

But yes, Steve and Wendy may just have been killed because they are an interracial couple. Random attacks do happen:
Freese Convicted of Hate Crime

Concord Crimeline Posts $5K Reward In Retired Couple Shootings Case

<snip>

Investigators on Thursday asked anyone in the community who may have dashcam footage while driving on Loudon Road or Portsmouth Street on April 18 to contact the police. Also, anyone who was hiking or biking on that trail system on Sunday, April 17, Monday, April 18, or Tuesday, April 19, is also asked to contact the police.

Michael Garrity, the director of communications for the New Hampshire Attorney General's Office, investigators have received more than 130 tips about the killings with police following up on each one as well as every aspect of the case.

"It is crucial that any person who has any information regarding these murders report to the police what information is known to them, no matter how inconsequential the person believes the information may be," he said. "Importantly, anonymous tips submitted through the Crimeline website allow for the Concord Police to respond to whomever provided the tip after the tip is submitted. That response is done through the Crimeline website."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster23
Back