NH - Djeswende ‘Wendy’, 66, & Stephen Reid, 67, Shot on Hiking Trail, Concord, Apr 2022 *Logan Clegg Arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
https://webpubcontent.gray.tv/wcax/docs/clegg.pdf Vermont court document, recounting what I consider to be some amazing detective work (3rd document in file).
Thanks for finding & sharing that document. It reveals excellent detective work which resulted in Clegg's arrest & is likely enough to secure a conviction IMHO.

I'm still unsure about the 2nd degree murder charge because of evidence placing Clegg near Alton Woods several times. It still just seems odd to me that there is no premeditation proof.

Thank God for the woman on the trail near the time of the murders. Her observations were critical. Someone did hear the shots that killed Steve & Wendy!

Let us hope that this murderer never walks free again. He is a serious danger to civilized society.

Thanks for finding & sharing that document. It reveals excellent detective work which resulted in Clegg's arrest & is likely enough to secure a conviction IMHO.

I'm still unsure about the 2nd degree murder charge because of evidence placing Clegg near Alton Woods several times. It still just seems odd to me that there is no premeditation proof.

Thank God for the woman on the trail near the time of the murders. Her observations were critical. Someone did hear the shots that killed Steve & Wendy!

Let us hope that this murderer never walks free again after conviction. He is a serious danger to civilized society.
They can always upgrade to first degree if they want to. Charging with second degree gets him off the street and sidesteps any debate about premeditation, which might take more work to demonstrate.

I literally got chills reading her account... the part about turning around to look at him and catching him looking back at her. *shudder*

https://webpubcontent.gray.tv/wcax/docs/clegg.pdf Vermont court document, recounting what I consider to be some amazing detective work (3rd document in file).

This document has so much great information in it that answers a lot of questions posed here. Thank you so much for finding and sharing!

Police got to him just in the nick of time. I can't believe he managed to source counterfeit foreign ID. For someone living in the woods, he was certainly resourceful.

Clegg.JPG

It is unclear if there is a connection between Clegg and the Reids. Investigators have not commented on a possible motive.

Clegg was being held in St. Albans, Vermont, on an unrelated fugitive-from-justice charge out of Utah before he was charged with murder.

Clegg has been held for eight days after he was arrested in South Burlington, Vermont.

Investigators said he has been on the run for 15 months and even traveled out of the country. They said he had booked a one-way ticket to Germany and set to leave two days after he was captured.

This document has so much great information in it that answers a lot of questions posed here. Thank you so much for finding and sharing!

Police got to him just in the nick of time. I can't believe he managed to source counterfeit foreign ID. For someone living in the woods, he was certainly resourceful.

View attachment 374550
and he had a fake Arthur Kelly VT drivers license that enabled him to buy the gun. (#76) https://webpubcontent.gray.tv/wcax/docs/clegg.pdf

I wonder if the Reids saw him and spoke to him ... maybe offered to help him with finding housing and that is why he shot them? Just a thought that has occurred to me, IMO, and he seems to have lived in a tent all winter in NH and no one ever says he was seen in a winter coat. (BTW, how do you keep a laptop dry and charged all the time while living in a tent?)

What amazing detective work.

This homeless criminal traveled the world and had over $7,000 in his backpack. I’m not sure what to even think about that.
I wonder why he returned to the US after leaving the first time and why he missed a flight to Iceland... (BTW, there are lots of McDonalds in Portugal-wonder if he could get a work visa there)

and he had a fake Arthur Kelly VT drivers license that enabled him to buy the gun. (#76) https://webpubcontent.gray.tv/wcax/docs/clegg.pdf

I wonder if the Reids saw him and spoke to him ... maybe offered to help him with finding housing and that is why he shot them? Just a thought that has occurred to me, IMO, and he seems to have lived in a tent all winter in NH and no one ever says he was seen in a winter coat. (BTW, how do you keep a laptop dry and charged all the time while living in a tent?)
I don't know about the challenges of keeping electronics dry in a tent but like many homeless, he took advantage of one place open a lot of hours with free electricity to charge devices, restrooms, free public computer access & even places where a person might hide & nap or sleep. Where? The place where he was arrested, a public library.

We don't know everything about this guy, only discrete details. One question I have: How do you lock a tent? Another I have is: How was his gun "target practice" not heard and reported to LE?

I'm getting Unabomber vibes to a degree but Clegg was well-traveled & skilled at acquiring fake IDs. Why he would escalate to a double murder on a weekday afternoon on a hiking trail near another hiker needs explanation!

If he hadn't been arrested when he was, he would probably be in Germany or another European country right now. Those countries need to take a close look at this perp & unsolved crimes he might be associated with.

This case bugs me on so many levels: I'd like to see a forensic psych workup on him.

MOO

what a great job done by these LE officers! I can’t imagine how the woman who saw him feels now realizing what he must of been thinking when she saw him staring back at her. Thanks for posting the document and giving us a headsup on the great detective work.

I don't know about the challenges of keeping electronics dry in a tent but like many homeless, he took advantage of one place open a lot of hours with free electricity to charge devices, restrooms, free public computer access & even places where a person might hide & nap or sleep. Where? The place where he was arrested, a public library.

We don't know everything about this guy, only discrete details. One question I have: How do you lock a tent? Another I have is: How was his gun "target practice" not heard and reported to LE?

I'm getting Unabomber vibes to a degree but Clegg was well-traveled & skilled at acquiring fake IDs. Why he would escalate to a double murder on a weekday afternoon on a hiking trail near another hiker needs explanation!

If he hadn't been arrested when he was, he would probably be in Germany or another European country right now. Those countries need to take a close look at this perp & unsolved crimes he might be associated with.

This case bugs me on so many levels: I'd like to see a forensic psych workup on him.

MOO
I wondered about that tent lock too...
as per google. people lock the zippers:
How do I keep my tent locked?

Image result for tent lock walmart

How To Lock A Tent With A Padlock
  1. Choose a padlock that is weather-resistant.
  2. Find the loops on your tent's zippers.
  3. Place the shackle of the padlock through the loops.
  4. Close the padlock.
  5. Test the lock to make sure it is secure.
Sep 8, 2022

and there are things called "line locks" that hold the lines in place...

Gear Aid 4 Pack Tent and Tarp Secure Line Locks Heavy ...

https://www.walmart.com › Gear-Aid-4-Pack-Tent-a...

The Tent and Tarp Line Locks by Gear Aid can be used as replacements for broken line locks, or added to tarps for makeshift rain flies.
$9.25 · ‎Free delivery · ‎In stock

That was a very thorough and well thought out investigation document. Please don't give this guy bail again. They were too lenient in giving him probation and no jail time after TWO arrests for stealing weapons and running from police.

what a great job done by these LE officers! I can’t imagine how the woman who saw him feels now realizing what he must of been thinking when she saw him staring back at her. Thanks for posting the document and giving us a headsup on the great detective work.
That witness is truly lucky to be alive. I am sure it crossed his mind several times that he ought to get rid of this annoying witness. Her dogs may have saved her because he probably was worried the dogs would make so much noise if he began shooting at her too. wow...this was a cold blooded fugitive.

I wondered about that tent lock too...
as per google. people lock the zippers:
How do I keep my tent locked?

Image result for tent lock walmart

How To Lock A Tent With A Padlock
  1. Choose a padlock that is weather-resistant.
  2. Find the loops on your tent's zippers.
  3. Place the shackle of the padlock through the loops.
  4. Close the padlock.
  5. Test the lock to make sure it is secure.
Sep 8, 2022

and there are things called "line locks" that hold the lines in place...

Gear Aid 4 Pack Tent and Tarp Secure Line Locks Heavy ...

https://www.walmart.com › Gear-Aid-4-Pack-Tent-a...

The Tent and Tarp Line Locks by Gear Aid can be used as replacements for broken line locks, or added to tarps for makeshift rain flies.
$9.25 · ‎Free delivery · ‎In stock
Thanks. It seems like a lock would be superfluous since a knife could easily slice open a tent? I wonder if he set up a camera to monitor that site, as well?

Interesting also is the burning of his camp after the murders. That should have captured attention, too. Glad his "lucky breaks" finally ran out!

Thanks for posting this. What I find encouraging about this document, not even just for these murders but for many cases that seem to go on and on without noticeable movement on the part of LE, is that it shows very well that even when the public hasn't heard what LE is doing, investigators still may be making progress. As we can see from this document, police made contact with the person of interest AND had a very good witness in the immediate days after the crime. The public didn't know these facts so we might have easily thought "LE has nothing to go on," especially when the arrest was months in coming. Just gives me a little more hope for some of the unsolved cases out there.

I literally got chills reading her account... the part about turning around to look at him and catching him looking back at her. *shudder*
This is indeed chilling. I think he was seriously considering shooting her as well. Perhaps he decided not to because she seemed to move forward on the trail and didn't see the bodies.

Thanks for posting this. What I find encouraging about this document, not even just for these murders but for many cases that seem to go on and on without noticeable movement on the part of LE, is that it shows very well that even when the public hasn't heard what LE is doing, investigators still may be making progress. As we can see from this document, police made contact with the person of interest AND had a very good witness in the immediate days after the crime. The public didn't know these facts so we might have easily thought "LE has nothing to go on," especially when the arrest was months in coming. Just gives me a little more hope for some of the unsolved cases out there.
Yes, LE did a great job here. The case against Clegg seems pretty tight. Combining the the witness info, store records, and info when the Reids left their home, we almost have a minute to minute account of what happened and where around the time of the murders. The gun evidence is very convincing. Luckily the were able to arrest Clegg just days before he was going to leave the country. They didn't find out his real name with some good sleuthing until September.

The big question still is, what was the motive? But even if we never find out, it is clear that he did it.

I am so glad he was arrested. Since he bought a one-way plane ticket and had a Romanian "passport" with his photo (but a different name) in his possession, I wonder if he was planning to stay in Europe for a long, long time (knowing he could be arrested in the US for two murders, among other things like weapons and parole violations) and set himself up with a (or another) new identity?

I'm just so, so glad LE had been putting in the work, getting all their ducks in a row, and closed in on him before he fled the country.

Imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat
Back