NH - Djeswende ‘Wendy’, 66, & Stephen Reid, 67, Shot on Hiking Trail, Concord, Apr 2022 *Logan Clegg Arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We have had a number of gang related issues, but most of that is in the Manchester area. Shootings are very common place in Manchester and Concord is just a few minutes up the highway.
I'm inclined to not think it's a hunter, that would be one bullet not several. Not to say it doesn't happen that someone gets shot mistakenly from time to time, but it's really rare and unlikely for the hunter to kill two people with multiple gunshots.

#Breaking: @NH_DOJ reporting the deaths of Stephen Reid and his wife, Djeswende were homicides. Medical Examiner determined the couple died from multiple gunshot wounds. Officials say the two left their Alton Woods apartment complex Monday afternoon for a walk.
View attachment 340831

https://twitter.com/timcalwmur/status/1517596235435319297?s=21&t=RZ34h_pbOdH3eNzb2GSJ4w
Why in the world would someone shoot this couple to death?! They were just out for a walk.
ETA: Robbery? Someone with a grudge?

Last edited by a moderator:
The police seem to know exactly when the couple left to go on their walk, per NBC News: "The Reids left their apartment complex about 2:22 p.m."

Such an exact estimate leads me to believe they were captured on surveillance camera leaving the complex. I wonder if they took their phones with them or if they were left behind at the apartment.

The police seem to know exactly when the couple left to go on their walk, per NBC News: "The Reids left their apartment complex about 2:22 p.m."

Such an exact estimate leads me to believe they were captured on surveillance camera leaving the complex. I wonder if they took their phones with them or if they were left behind at the apartment.

I keep wondering if the exactness of the time has something to do with surveillance. It seems likely. There isn't too big a gap between texting with family and leaving the house, but the thing is why just text? I mean: my husband is working from home, and during work hours our son (who lives out of state) texts, but if it's a day off, they call...they don't just text. Maybe just to say "do you have time to talk now?" but not to carry out a whole conversation.

Of course, that's just how we do things. Other people are different, I know.

I'm inclined to not think it's a hunter, that would be one bullet not several. Not to say it doesn't happen that someone gets shot mistakenly from time to time, but it's really rare and unlikely for the hunter to kill two people with multiple gunshots.

I agree. Then factor in that the victims were not hunting.

Hunting can have a share of disputes stemming from "claims" on an area of public land and customary rules regarding who does what kind of hunting, when, and where.

Of course, the rules are not written down, can be subject to change, and vary by time and location. Then, not everybody follows their own rules - whether its covid restrictions or hunting courtesies. Nearly always, however, those disputes are resolved peacefully.

As you noted, the victims injuries were not consistent with an accidental hunting shooting. Not being hunting season and the victims not hunting would also pretty much rule out an alcohol fueled hunting dispute / intentional murder(s) as well.

Also of note from this NBC Boston article: “Those who live nearby say they're surprised they didn't hear any gunshots.”

Depending on how far along they were on the trail, I could see how gunshots wouldn’t be heard, but at the same time the sound of gunshots travels quite far even in heavily wooded areas. When I used to live outside of Seattle, there was a mountain trail I would run that was adjacent to a shooting range and even if I was a mile away from the range I could still hear gunshots quite distinctly.

Perhaps someone who has more experience with firearms can chime in here as to how likely it is gunshots would be heard by those who live nearby. Perhaps a silencer was used?

Are there any animal hunters around those woods at this time of the year?

I'm wondering if they ran into an altercation with one.....

It'll be interesting to know what kind of gun/bullets they were with, and whether it is a typical hunting rifle or something else....
Good thought. But, there are no hunting seasons at all in the state when they went missing. If one is going to hunt illegally they are NOT going to do so near walking trails. Plus they left in the afternoon. When I was growing up we used to hunt for venison and turkey for the family to eat, and we always went very early in the morning. That's when deer are on the move and the wild turkeys are coming down out of the trees. Afternoons it's pretty much done. So in my opinion, I doubt this was an intentional or accidental hunting shooting.

Perhaps someone who has more experience with firearms can chime in here as to how likely it is gunshots would be heard by those who live nearby. Perhaps a silencer was used?
I have moderate experience with fire arms.

That aside, the level of noise associated with a gun shot can depend on calibre of the weapon, speed of the bullet and to a degree, the length of the barrel. Likewise, how far the sound carries can depend on wind, presence of trees etc. and presence of hills.

In wooded terrain with moderate hills, I bet gunshots from a smaller calibre weapons firing lower velocity bullets would not be heard by anyone out side the immediate area.

I can't see someone hunting illegally along walking trails. Of course, I didn't expect to be shot at when I was a kid by someone illegally hunting on my grandfather's farm. No mentally sound person would have done either.

I agree. Perhaps if they were only shot once the hunting theory would be more plausible (although the fact two people were killed throws a wrench in that theory anyways), but multiple gunshot wounds to both Wende and Stephen makes me believe this was an intentional double homicide. Whether or not they were followed and targeted specifically it’s impossible to say at this point but I agree it is very unlikely it was a hunting accident.

Good thought. But, there are no hunting seasons at all in the state when they went missing. So in my opinion, I doubt this was an intentional or accidental hunting shooting.

Thank you, Im glad that's cleared up that it couldn't be an incident with a hunter and gun.

So, really then, that leaves a madman with a gun in the woods.

I wonder if they were targeted intentionally, or were just unlucky at being in the wrong place at the wrong time...?

Horrifying.

Also of note from this NBC Boston article: “Those who live nearby say they're surprised they didn't hear any gunshots.”

Depending on how far along they were on the trail, I could see how gunshots wouldn’t be heard, but at the same time the sound of gunshots travels quite far even in heavily wooded areas. When I used to live outside of Seattle, there was a mountain trail I would run that was adjacent to a shooting range and even if I was a mile away from the range I could still hear gunshots quite distinctly.

I live in Manchester where as someone mentioned shootings are more common, and I never hear the ones that are supposedly close by (or were, to my old neighborhood).

That concord apartment complex has has sketchy stuff happen before.

I'm not surprised no one heard the shots. People in their homes, windows shut are unlikely to hear gun shots. It also depends on the weapon. You'd be more likely to hear a hunting rifle, but a handgun isn't as noisy.

This just gives me chills, for multiple reasons.... one/the very strong possibility that a friend/family member is involved (that's a lot of gunshot wounds) and
two/even just the tiniest iota of a chance that this could be lifestyle related and there's some crazy out there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back