NH - Djeswende ‘Wendy’, 66, & Stephen Reid, 67, Shot on Hiking Trail, Concord, Apr 2022 *Logan Clegg Arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Couple of thoughts:

They left for their walk at 2:22pm on a Monday. Might be safe to assume whoever did it does not work (or at least not a regular 9-5), since they didn't make it very far into their walk.

BBM

That could very well be the case. However, with so many people WFH now, it could also be someone that snuck away from their WFH job that does have typical office hours. I WFH and we are very flexible. If we need to step away during the day for an appointment or whatever, we can just flex our time and make it up later. MOO

Couple of thoughts:

They left for their walk at 2:22pm on a Monday. Might be safe to assume whoever did it does not work (or at least not a regular 9-5), since they didn't make it very far into their walk.

I live on the border of MA/NH. Monday was a state holiday (Patriots Day) in MA so a lot of people had the day off and could easily have been in concord for the trails or still there visiting family from Easter Sunday as well. A lot of people in NH work in MA so the shooter(s) could have had the day off as well.

According to Google Maps (screenshot below) the Marsh Loops trail is 3.6 miles away which is a 1 hour 12 minute walk from their apartment on Alton Woods. And as both card were in their parking place at home, they must have walked it.
Baring in mind if it's 3.6 miles there, it's 3.6 miles back, plus the mileage of the trail itself. Approximately 10 miles? That's quite a way for a retired couple to walk, but obviously they were quite fit.

I wonder if a random person followed them in from the town, or if the gun man was in the woods already, waiting for just anyone to come by....?

I'd like to hear if anyone walked that trail on the same day as they did, but earlier on....maybe they saw someone hanging around?

Wow I guess I didn't realize it was that far from where they lived. That is quite a way to set out on on a Monday mid-afternoon. Maybe this is typical for them? We don't know how quickly they walk, but 3.6 miles to the trailhead and they left at 2:22 may have put them getting to the trail around 3:40 ish (or later, if they walked slower). Then they would have been on the trail a bit. So time of death could have been around 4 or so? Additionally, isn't the trail they walked a loop? So it's possible they could have been killed close to the end of their hike on that loop rather than just starting out on it. We don't know which way they headed first on the loop. Time of death could have been even later. MOO

According to Google Maps (screenshot below) the Marsh Loops trail is 3.6 miles away which is a 1 hour 12 minute walk from their apartment on Alton Woods. And as both card were in their parking place at home, they must have walked it.
Baring in mind if it's 3.6 miles there, it's 3.6 miles back, plus the mileage of the trail itself. Approximately 10 miles? That's quite a way for a retired couple to walk, but obviously they were quite fit.

I wonder if a random person followed them in from the town, or if the gun man was in the woods already, waiting for just anyone to come by....?

I'd like to hear if anyone walked that trail on the same day as they did, but earlier on....maybe they saw someone hanging around?

I don’t believe this is accurate. The trailhead for the Marsh Loop trail is on Portsmouth Street, just to the left of the Route 202 overpass, which makes it a ~15 minute walk from the Alton Woods apartments.
5EBE8837-3E6A-405E-9DDF-BA8636F0C8BE.jpeg AA9FF7C9-8941-480C-AFC6-4BFC1018C5E9.jpeg

The accurate map is below, showing their route from their apartment complex to the trails area, which is really just at the rear of their accommodation.
It's approx. 1.1 miles or a 23 minute walk.

I suspect there may be a rear access path to the trails, through the wooden area at the back of their apartment complex.
That would be the easiest option for them to take, and as both cars were at home, that was probably the one they took.

I doubt there will be much CCTV, if at all, but maybe someone Ring doorbell may have caught something....

Attachments

• Image_1650811066.jpg
    Image_1650811066.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
The accurate map is below, showing their route from their apartment complex to the trails area, which is really just at the rear of their accommodation.
It's approx. 1.1 miles or a 23 minute walk.

I suspect there may be a rear access path to the trails, through the wooden area at the back of their apartment complex.
That would be the easiest option for them to take, and as both cars were at home, that was probably the one they took.

I doubt there will be much CCTV, if at all, but maybe someone Ring doorbell may have caught something....

According to WMUR9, the search was conducted with assistance from officers with the Department of Fish and Game. They also asked anyone who may have captured anything on their game cameras to contact police, so perhaps they are hoping something was captured on a public or private game or trail cam.

According to WMUR9, the search was conducted with assistance from officers with the Department of Fish and Game. They also asked anyone who may have captured anything on their game cameras to contact police, so perhaps they are hoping something was captured on a public or private game or trail cam.
There are trail and game cams on a lot of the trails in the area so they may catch something. We have a few out on the trails in our area, and the scouts, conservation commissions and NH fish and game also have their cams out there. I'm not sure if UNH has any out there, but they may have as well. You'd be surprised how many cams there are out there.

It's the "multiple shots" statement that makes me wonder if there's more to this. If you're just going to rob them or if you're there to execute them, that's usually one shot, right? Why the multiple shots?

Two potential reasons:

A) To ensure they really will be 100% dead, no chance of recovery.

B) Because the killer was deranged and went completely overt the top.

I'm surprised there has been relatively little media coverage of this case beyond reporting what was said in the initial press conference.

Aside from the WMUR9 clip I linked earlier, there hasn't even been any mention of the fact that they have 2 children. Perhaps there isn't a robust local media scene in NH? There has to be additional information a thorough journalist could dig up, even if it is just speaking with people who knew the couple to get an idea of their personalities and habits.

It's the "multiple shots" statement that makes me wonder if there's more to this. If you're just going to rob them or if you're there to execute them, that's usually one shot, right? Why the multiple shots?

It would also be interesting and important to know where they were shot. In the head? In the back? Elsewhere?

I'm surprised there has been relatively little media coverage of this case beyond reporting what was said in the initial press conference.

Aside from the WMUR9 clip I linked earlier, there hasn't even been any mention of the fact that they have 2 children. Perhaps there isn't a robust local media scene in NH? There has to be additional information a thorough journalist could dig up, even if it is just speaking with people who knew the couple to get an idea of their personalities and habits.
We're kind of different here in NH. People are very quiet and community tends to put up a wall. Privacy is a big thing here and it wouldn't be acceptable to barge in on the family to get a statement. It's just not considered the right thing to do. The family doesn't really have any social media presence and yet they are well known in the community. NH also plays things very close to the chest when there is an investigation. It can seem like nothing is going on and then all of a sudden there is an arrest.

• found shot to death in a wooded area
  • their bodies found Thursday off of Portsmouth Street in Concord in the area of the Broken Ground Trails
  • bodies were found in close proximity to the Marsh Loop Trail
While not much more is made clear in this article it does seem that the couple was not found on the trail but more probably near.

The video at the link says the couple was seen leaving for the walk. But were they forced off the trail, left the trail to check something, moved off the trail after killed? I’ve seen nothing that suggests anything. The horrifying thought that someone was armed on the trail, a trail so close to homes and businesses.

Missing couple, Stephen and Djeswende Reid, found shot to death in wooded area in New Hampshire

Investigation continues into Concord double homicide – WMUR 9
<snipped & BBM>
Law enforcement officials searched through the woods Saturday behind Portsmouth Street in Concord, where an elderly couple was found dead Thursday.

More than two dozen officers from Concord Police Department, New Hampshire State Police and New Hampshire Fish and Game combed through the wooded area where Stephen and Djeswende Reid were found.

[...]

Concord resident Don Jewel said the situation is disturbing.

"I'm 61, and I can't recall this happening ever," Jewel said. "We often think of Concord as being a safe community."

WMUR spoke with the couple's son, who said the family has no further comment at this time.

Because the shooter was making sure the people were killed. Whoever did this wasn't mistakenly shooting at the wrong thing but instead meant to kill these two people. IMO this wasn't random.

We're kind of different here in NH. People are very quiet and community tends to put up a wall. Privacy is a big thing here and it wouldn't be acceptable to barge in on the family to get a statement. It's just not considered the right thing to do. The family doesn't really have any social media presence and yet they are well known in the community. NH also plays things very close to the chest when there is an investigation. It can seem like nothing is going on and then all of a sudden there is an arrest.
I don't know if it's just a New England thing, but it seems the DA's office takes a much larger role than we see in most other states (in cases like this). They get involved immediately here.

That means that information is scarce, and you're right, an arrest seemingly comes out of nowhere.

• found shot to death in a wooded area
  • their bodies found Thursday off of Portsmouth Street in Concord in the area of the Broken Ground Trails
  • bodies were found in close proximity to the Marsh Loop Trail
While not much more is made clear in this article it does seem that the couple was not found on the trail but more probably near.

The video at the link says the couple was seen leaving for the walk. But were they forced off the trail, left the trail to check something, moved off the trail after killed? I’ve seen nothing that suggests anything. The horrifying thought that someone was armed on the trail, a trail so close to homes and businesses.

Missing couple, Stephen and Djeswende Reid, found shot to death in wooded area in New Hampshire

It's not surprising that someone was armed on the trail, given New Hampshire's high rate of gun ownership––41.4% of adult NH residents own a firearm. What is surprising is that a person(s) decided to shoot two people multiple times on a relatively well-trafficked trail in broad daylight.

I don't know if it's just a New England thing, but it seems the DA's office takes a much larger role than we see in most other states (in cases like this). They get involved immediately here.

That means that information is scarce, and you're right, an arrest seemingly comes out of nowhere.
Even after the arrest not much info comes out. We usually have to wait for the trial to get the whole story.

I
Because the shooter was making sure the people were killed. Whoever did this wasn't mistakenly shooting at the wrong thing but instead meant to kill these two people. IMO this wasn't random.
ITA. Definitely not random, in my opinion. This is so strange. What concerns me are the lack of pleas from the family and/or LE. No press conference. It is so odd. I feel like this may have been close to home. Figuratively and literally. All JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curiousXladybug99
Back