NH - Djeswende ‘Wendy’, 66, & Stephen Reid, 67, Shot on Hiking Trail, Concord, Apr 2022 *Logan Clegg Arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I got nothing. Only thing my mind goes to is a double murder of a couple in their home at Dartmouth College (NH) by 2 teens a few years ago. Sick and grisly and super depressing. Just like this case.

Agreed. This case is baffling. From what we know at this point, they were a loving and kind-hearted couple who dedicated their entire lives to helping others. They weren't involved in drugs or other crime (that we know of, of course it's still a possibility) and kept to themselves.

The more I've learned about who they were as people, the more saddened I become that their lives were so cruelly taken and the more perplexed I am about a possible motive. In the absence of any clear reason for them to be targeted (i.e., involvement in criminal activity, drugs, robbery/financial gain), I lean towards this being either a hate crime or the work of a severely mentally ill individual they had the misfortune of crossing paths with.

I know in the article on Patch it mentioned evidence flags being near a "recently abandoned" (not sure how they determined that it was recently abandoned) homeless encampment, but I really don't believe a homeless person would do something like this. The article states Stephen didn't have his wallet and both of their phones were left at home, so robbery isn't the motive. For the sake of argument, if there was a severely mentally ill homeless person living in the camp, even if they had a gun with them (as well as ammunition) I doubt they would have the wherewithal to hide the bodies. MOO.

Like you, I'm also at a loss. I really hope the police have more information and have identified a suspect(s), but if this was a random/opportunistic attack (which is what I'm leaning towards at the moment) it will be exponentially more difficult for them to solve.

Answering myself before I get the correct answer.
So, the bodies were dragged away from view to be hidden in the bushes.
Who does that?
If it's a one time thing, killer(s) leave the bodies right there and flee.
Think Zodiak etc ...

Agreed. I lean towards this being either a hate crime or the work of a severely mentally ill individual they had the misfortune of crossing paths with.

Like you, I'm also at a loss. I really hope the police have more information and have identified a suspect(s), but if this was a random/opportunistic attack (which is what I'm leaning towards at the moment) it will be exponentially more difficult for them to solve.
This seems like a random killing to me. Maybe one of those deranged people that want to know how it feels to kill someone. That could explain the multiple shots too.

Answering myself before I get the correct answer.
So, the bodies were dragged away from view to be hidden in the bushes.
Who does that?

I'm not sure that's what happened as LE haven't confirmed that (?).

They were seen leaving their apartment Monday afternoon. Reported missing Wednesday. Found Thursday. So possibly up to 3 days where nobody saw bodies or reported anything. Did they go off the trail themselves? Were they ordered off the trail and then killed? Or killed on the trail, then dragged/hidden?

I'm not sure there has been clarification to the public on any of that....

MOO.

They were seen leaving their apartment Monday afternoon. Reported missing Wednesday. Found Thursday. So possibly up to 3 days where nobody saw bodies or reported anything. Did they go off the trail themselves? Were they ordered off the trail and then killed? Or killed on the trail, then dragged/hidden?

MOO.
I've been wondering how they could go "3 days where nobody saw bodies" on what some posters have said was a well traveled trail. Their being off the trail explains that.

Agreed. This case is baffling. From what we know at this point, they were a loving and kind-hearted couple who dedicated their entire lives to helping others. They weren't involved in drugs or other crime (that we know of, of course it's still a possibility) and kept to themselves.

The more I've learned about who they were as people, the more saddened I become that their lives were so cruelly taken and the more perplexed I am about a possible motive. In the absence of any clear reason for them to be targeted (i.e., involvement in criminal activity, drugs, robbery/financial gain), I lean towards this being either a hate crime or the work of a severely mentally ill individual they had the misfortune of crossing paths with.

I know in the article on Patch it mentioned evidence flags being near a "recently abandoned" (not sure how they determined that it was recently abandoned) homeless encampment, but I really don't believe a homeless person would do something like this. The article states Stephen didn't have his wallet and both of their phones were left at home, so robbery isn't the motive. For the sake of argument, if there was a severely mentally ill homeless person living in the camp, even if they had a gun with them (as well as ammunition) I doubt they would have the wherewithal to hide the bodies. MOO.

I do believe that a homeless person could do something like this. We've seen it happen before. Many of the transients are drinking and using drugs and many have mental health issues. That combination, can be very dangerous, when combined with being homeless and feeling vulnerable to others.

I have seen a 'road rage' kind of pattern with some homeless people, where they become territorial, and lash out violently.
'I Think It's A Serious Homeless Problem': Man Suffers Multiple Stab Wounds To Neck In Random Assault By Homeless Man In Chinatown

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) -
A man was randomly attacked in the Chinatown area Wednesday afternoon, when he was approached by a homeless man who stabbed him in the neck multiple times.

This attack is another in a troubling trend gathering public attention across Los Angeles County over recent months, as random violent attacks via homeless people have claimed the lives of LAC + USC nurse Sandra Shellsand Brianna Kupfer, a local student who was working at the time of her murder. Another Long Beach woman was also attacked while she was assisting the homeless community in her neighborhood, offering them supplies.
Victims of Random Attacks by Homeless Want City, Police to Do More – NBC 7 San Diego

Victims of Random Attacks by Homeless Want City, Police to Do More
A recent string of violent, random attacks committed by homeless people have some calling on the city of San Diego and its police force to do more
August 25, 2021

Man Accused in Two Unprovoked Attacks in Anaheim Arrested
https://www.nbclosangeles.com › news › local › man-ac...

Mar 25, 2022 — Ivory Julian Anderson Jr., a 32-year-old transient, was identified by police on Friday March 25 while they were patrolling the Anaheim area.

To my mind, if the public doesn't need to worry it's because LE believes it wasn't a random attack and they may have a POI in mind, they just don't have enough on them to go public yet.

If there was someone out there randomly killing people, they wouldn't say there's no reason for the public to worry.

Maybe they have this person or persons under surveillance, and that's why they say there's no need to worry.

They obviously thought the trails were safe, and always have been, otherwise they wouldn't have left both of their phones at home.

They went off for their walk, carefree.
Obviously they had never encountered any trouble on the trails before.
They didn't think a phone would ever be needed to summon help.

That indicates to me the trails were thought of as a very safe area with no worries or concerns.

Last edited:
I do believe that a homeless person could do something like this. We've seen it happen before. Many of the transients are drinking and using drugs and many have mental health issues. That combination, can be very dangerous, when combined with being homeless and feeling vulnerable to others.

I have seen a 'road rage' kind of pattern with some homeless people, where they become territorial, and lash out violently.
'I Think It's A Serious Homeless Problem': Man Suffers Multiple Stab Wounds To Neck In Random Assault By Homeless Man In Chinatown

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) -
A man was randomly attacked in the Chinatown area Wednesday afternoon, when he was approached by a homeless man who stabbed him in the neck multiple times.

This attack is another in a troubling trend gathering public attention across Los Angeles County over recent months, as random violent attacks via homeless people have claimed the lives of LAC + USC nurse Sandra Shellsand Brianna Kupfer, a local student who was working at the time of her murder. Another Long Beach woman was also attacked while she was assisting the homeless community in her neighborhood, offering them supplies.
Victims of Random Attacks by Homeless Want City, Police to Do More – NBC 7 San Diego

Victims of Random Attacks by Homeless Want City, Police to Do More
A recent string of violent, random attacks committed by homeless people have some calling on the city of San Diego and its police force to do more
August 25, 2021

Man Accused in Two Unprovoked Attacks in Anaheim Arrested

https://www.nbclosangeles.com › news › local › man-ac...

Mar 25, 2022 — Ivory Julian Anderson Jr., a 32-year-old transient, was identified by police on Friday March 25 while they were patrolling the Anaheim area.

I’m not sure how comparable this is, since most of those incidents happened in heavily-populated areas and involved stabbings, rather than shootings. It’s definitely possible, but I personally can’t recall a case of a homeless person shooting someone else, and definitely not in Concord. MOO.

Investigators ask for anyone with information on Concord couple's shooting deaths to come forward — WMUR 9
<snipped & BBM>
Police said they might bring potential witnesses to the area where the bodies of the Reids were found.

While the trails were reopened to the public Sunday, a resident who lives nearby who asked not to be identified said she'll no longer walk there.

"As a community member, it's concerning," she said. "They are saying, 'There are no issues. Don't be afraid. Go about your business.' Yet they can't tell us the motive behind this tragedy."

Around the area where police had centered their investigation over the weekend, there were no signs of evidence and no memorials honoring the Reids.

"It would be nice to know if it was targeted," the resident said. "I just don't feel very comfortable with the message that the city is sending right now."

MOO.

These sound like details that are being withheld because only the perp(s) would know them.

We do have a large issue with opiod abuse which is our leading cause of homelessness, but that's more in the Manchester area. Concord has seen some rise in criminal activity, but nothing like this. We don't have the same driving force for homelessness that's being seen on the west coast, and yes some of that is due to the weather. We also tend to enforce vagrancy laws more.
The thing that worries me is the similarity between this case and an old case from Manchester. An older (hate the world "elderly" for this age group) woman out on her normal walk was shot and killed. Her killer has never been found. Could this be the same person?

forgot about that case until you mentioned it
Police seek leads in Manchester homicide

she went shopping before her incident... not close in time...and maybe has its own thread here. I was not reading WS back then if it was in existence (?).

I’m not sure how comparable this is, since most of those incidents happened in heavily-populated areas and involved stabbings, rather than shootings. It’s definitely possible, but I personally can’t recall a case of a homeless person shooting someone else, and definitely not in Concord. MOO.
We did have a case of a homeless man in Malibu State Park, who shot several hikers/campers over a few years time. But I agree, it is unusual.

What makes me wonder is the 'recently abandoned' homeless camp, on the edge of the crime scene. How recently was it emptied out? Could they have left because one of them was the shooter?

I am probably wrong, but it is just a gut feeling I have.

I don't think they were targeted and then shot in the woods because I think they would have noticed if someone followed them from home. I feel like the shooter had to be there already in the woods. I don't think a random hiker would be there at that exact time----but someone camped out would be right there ?

ETA:

Sniper Tried To Kill 10 Before Malibu Camper Slaying: Prosecutors
Anthony Rauda pleaded not guilty to the 16-count indictment charging him with the murder of a man camping with his two young daughters.

Sniper Tried To Kill 10 Before Malibu Camper Slaying: Prosecutors

Authorities allege Rauda was captured on surveillance video in one of those crimes carrying a rifle and wearing "tactical gear," sheriff's investigators described.

The suspect in the heists stole food, which detectives said suggested the man was living off the grid in the wilderness, carrying out the burglaries when he needed sustenance.

Last edited:
Are there any transients that live out in that wooded area? I guess it might be too cold for that?

Here in Southern Cali, we have had some issues with people that have tents put up in the woods, and they don't always take kindly to people hiking nearby. Some of them have drug problems and/or mental problems.

Girl, 17, attacked while jogging in Culver City - ABC7
https://abc7.com › culver-city-teen-girl-attacked-jogger...

Jul 31, 2021 — Police are searching for a man who attacked a 17-year-old girl while she was jogging on a bike path in Culver City.

LAPD: Transient man attacks 2 women near West Hollywood
https://ktla.com › news › local-news › lapd-transient-ma...

Feb 15, 2022 — Two women were the victims of separate assaults at the hands of a transient man, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

one of the articles with an aerial map has a "former homeless camp" label on it- this article mentions it
Search Grid At Concord Homicide Scene Shows Sprawling Clues

the articles state that they walked the trails often so you would think that they were familiar with anything odd and they had lived in so many different places you would think that they would have a "sixth sense" about where they could or could not go, but who knows

Wow I guess I didn't realize it was that far from where they lived. That is quite a way to set out on on a Monday mid-afternoon. Maybe this is typical for them? We don't know how quickly they walk, but 3.6 miles to the trailhead and they left at 2:22 may have put them getting to the trail around 3:40 ish (or later, if they walked slower). Then they would have been on the trail a bit. So time of death could have been around 4 or so? Additionally, isn't the trail they walked a loop? So it's possible they could have been killed close to the end of their hike on that loop rather than just starting out on it. We don't know which way they headed first on the loop. Time of death could have been even later. MOO

Do we know if there was any shortcut from their apt to the trails? It looks like a main road and not that conducive to walking from the pictures. It has actually occurred to me that we do not really know that they were killed on the trail- could they have been left there? Maybe LE knows from shell casings or other evidence.

• found shot to death in a wooded area
  • their bodies found Thursday off of Portsmouth Street in Concord in the area of the Broken Ground Trails
  • bodies were found in close proximity to the Marsh Loop Trail
While not much more is made clear in this article it does seem that the couple was not found on the trail but more probably near.

The video at the link says the couple was seen leaving for the walk. But were they forced off the trail, left the trail to check something, moved off the trail after killed? I’ve seen nothing that suggests anything. The horrifying thought that someone was armed on the trail, a trail so close to homes and businesses.

Missing couple, Stephen and Djeswende Reid, found shot to death in wooded area in New Hampshire

they were missing from Monday to Thursday so we do not know a time line. LE might know much more.

The police seem to know exactly when the couple left to go on their walk, per NBC News: "The Reids left their apartment complex about 2:22 p.m."

Such an exact estimate leads me to believe they were captured on surveillance camera leaving the complex. I wonder if they took their phones with them or if they were left behind at the apartment.

"A day before police sent out the missing couple notice, a family member sent out a Ring alert to users who live within a 3-mile radius of the area, along with a picture requesting assistance finding the couple."
Search Grid At Concord Homicide Scene Shows Sprawling Clues

suspect that their own camera recorded them leaving?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlit7
Back