NH - Djeswende ‘Wendy’, 66, & Stephen Reid, 67, Shot on Hiking Trail, Concord, Apr 2022 *Logan Clegg Arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"A day before police sent out the missing couple notice, a family member sent out a Ring alert to users who live within a 3-mile radius of the area, along with a picture requesting assistance finding the couple."
Search Grid At Concord Homicide Scene Shows Sprawling Clues

suspect that their own camera recorded them leaving?

Maybe, but it is also possible they were seen by someone who knew them while still at or near the apartment complex. 2:22 is a time when there were likely to be buses dropping off middle or high school students or parents who've picked up their kids arriving home. Maybe someone who didn't have a regular routine of being in the area at 2:22 saw the Reids and was able to reconstruct the time because of a text they were sending or receiving.

is it weird that no one heard anything?

Agreeing with you. Thank you, Acutename:

This fact has bothered me since the beginning.
"Multiple gunshots" which no one HEARD?

This is so weird, given that it is a residential area, and the trails are well-used.

Also, ....Was the crime so quick? Were they so ambushed, so shocked and so startled, that neither one of the Reids had time to shout/scream/call for help? No one heard ANYTHING?

I was trying to understand sound suppressors & silencers, and whether they leave a mark on the bullet.

Apparently, it is not always the case that Forensics investigators can tell if a silencer was used, as evidenced by the recovered bullets.

According to the article below, ....a "cheap" silencer can be fashioned by someone for the firearm. This could degrade the bullet quite a lot. Or, a more expensive one can be bought specifically for that gun, which leaves less of a trace.

Here are some facts about silencers: https://www.quora.com/Can-investigators-tell-if-a-bullet-was-shot-from-a-silencer

Hopefully, whatever labs are used to analyze this horrific crime.....are excellent, and can do all the best forensics.

(All statements are MOO.)

Another possibility is that they armed their home alarm at that time. Then again, they lived in an apartment, so maybe not.

I had a thought about their backgrounds/work history. The kind of work he was doing may be conducive to working with/for the State Department on a covert basis.
Imo

Maybe, but it is also possible they were seen by someone who knew them while still at or near the apartment complex. 2:22 is a time when there were likely to be buses dropping off middle or high school students or parents who've picked up their kids arriving home. Maybe someone who didn't have a regular routine of being in the area at 2:22 saw the Reids and was able to reconstruct the time because of a text they were sending or receiving.

is it weird that no one heard anything?
No, Loudon Road is noisy and busy and I wouldn’t think twice hearing multiple gunshots anywhere in this area. This area of NH has declined steadily since I was a kid (I’m 27 now and left when I was 18). There is HEAVY drug use in Concord, a significant amount of “gang”-related violence in the suburbs, and a very large unhoused population—mainly comprised of mentally ill folks who cycle in and out of the NH State Hospital.

I’ve watched many people close to me fall to hard drug addiction living in Concord.

EDIT: Alton Woods is the complex my parents lived in when I was born and they hustled hard for a year to get us out of Concord and the Concord school systems before I got older. My grandparents have lived there for about a decade now.

The kind of work he was doing may be conducive to working with/for the State Department on a covert basis.
Imo

I doubt that. He was retired and before that, his job was in international development overseas. That is about helping African government departments and companies start and maintain agriculture, food and environmental projects.

I wonder if someone took exception to them helping refugees...?

I agree, this is possible.

At the same time, a possible perpetrator would need to:
A. Have the motivation
B. Know the victims worked with refugees.

Component B maybe difficult to establish as it does not look like the victims were say, out spoken refugee activists, attorneys filing well publicized and controversial lawsuits for more refugee benefits, or were ubber progressive bloggers advocating for the acceptance of more refugees.

Though the perpetrator could have heard it from the grape vine that they worked with refugees, or been surfing social media and noted posts they had made, I think the apparent lack of "Out, Loud 'n Proud" type pro refugee sentiments by the victims diminish the possibility of an anti refugee motive.

For a bias crime however......a perpartrator could quickly conclude that they were an inter racial couple.

Last edited:
and a very large unhoused population—mainly comprised of mentally ill folks who cycle in and out of the NH State Hospital.
Yikes, the artificially high number of potentially violent homeless brought by the presence of the state hospital could greatly increase the odds of a "random attack by disturbed individual" type motive.

I doubt that. He was retired and before that, his job was in international development overseas. That is about helping African government departments and companies start and maintain agriculture, food and environmental projects.

Right, but his career with USAID-associated projects in Africa means he could have intelligence connections, directly or through acquaintances. That's what I think @drama_farmer was alluding to.

The perplexing circumstances of the murders make it seem the couple were killed completely at random or they were targeted. With nothing that we are aware of to indicate a dispute or threat locally, the Reids life beyond Concord has to be considered. Did someone come to Concord specifically to kill them? If they lived a peaceful, routine life in retirement in Concord as it seems they did, and weren't murdered by a crazed, enraged lunatic in the woods, their experience living and working in Africa is part of the wider net that must be considered.

Steve's career in international development is documented and impressive. He is cited in several USAID sponsored research studies and projects. Here's one example--a USAID-funded project, the Sahel Resilience Learning (SAREL) project conducted by The Mitchell Group. He's cited on page ii.
https://www.usaid.gov/sites/default..._Midterm_Performance_Assessment_Phase_II1.pdf

It doesn't seem that Steve was a US government employee, at least at the time those reports were published. He worked for organizations contracted by USAID. He could have been an employee of those organizations or a long-term contractor.

Steve's role in such projects in Africa does not preclude an intelligence angle, however. Intelligence officers employ covers. Sometimes it's official cover in a diplomatic mission; sometimes unofficial through nonprofit organizations or businesses. Could one or both of the Reids been involved in intelligence? With no clear motivation emerging locally, that's a possibility that has to be considered, even if it seems far-fetched.

It is more likely that one or both of the Reids were unwitting casual acquaintances or willing resources developed by intelligence officers. Assets are not necessarily aware contacts they think are casual are used to gather information. Both the Reids seem well-educated; they spent time around Washington, D.C. and in several countries in Africa working on development. So I doubt they were naive about tradecraft.

Another remote possibility to consider: did the Reids's work in international development itself make them targets? Are there factions that opposed what USAID was doing? It'd have to be something ongoing and central to make it worth targeting the couple in New Hampshire now.

Was Steve working as a consultant on any projects currently?

I admire the work the Reids did and the lives they lived. Most likely, the answers to the mystery of who murdered them and why are local and mundane. I am just considering how their lives abroad and their role in development in Africa could have played a role in the absence of an apparent motivation locally.

If it was a planned "hit", then it's quite possible someone may have been watching their routine for weeks.

But I'm still of the theory it was a local loony with a gun, and they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If they lived a peaceful, routine life in retirement in Concord as it seems they did, and weren't murdered by a crazed, enraged lunatic in the woods, their experience living and working in Africa is part of the wider net that must be considered.
I agree that no possibility should be off limits in an investigation, but there are several other local motives that need to be considered between "Living a routine life" and "deranged maniac in the woods" before over seas activities should be explored. For example:

A. Argument with another trail user about use.

I have seen arguments between mountain bikers and hikers here in Texas regarding who does what, to what degree and on what trail get heated. Likewise, I have experienced mild differences between my more rural views regarding appropriate activities and newcomers with more suburban views. Granted, I just found a more isolated area instead of attacking them.

B. Saw something illegal, then were attacked.

Concord has evidently fallen on hard times and has a good amount of drug usage. Where there are drug users, there are drug dealers.

C. Inter racial hatred.

Though white supremacists are the usual culprits, racists come in every color and from every culture. Not every black etc. person is uhhmm "fully supportive" of inter racial relationships.

Just In: The @FBI is now assisting @NH_DOJ with its investigating into the homicides of Stephen and Wende Reid. Anyone who saw the Reids on Monday (4/18) or who has any information about their deaths are asked to contact @ConcordPolice at 603-225-8600. #wmur
View attachment 341416

https://twitter.com/timcalwmur/status/1519032184102920195?s=21&t=Ohekq0cII7d9ry8lsE36pw

Now that the NH DOJ has requested the assistance of the FBI, I’m even more confident that the killer wasn’t someone close to the couple but instead some rampaging, violent stranger they encountered on the trail. MOO.

I would like to add some perspective to the comments from locals about crime and drugs in Concord: this is New Hampshire we're talking about. I'm somewhat local. I live 20 miles away. My spouse works in Concord. New Hampshire has 2 cities of around 100,000 each. With 43,000 residents, Concord is the 3rd largest municipality in the state. The rest of New Hampshire is small towns and tiny towns.

Crime rates in New Hampshire are extremely low and are dropping.

"New Hampshire’s violent crime rate is the second-lowest in the country (behind Maine), and its property crime rate claims the same rank (with only Massachusetts beating it). Both of these states are its regional New England neighbors—the region with the lowest crime rates in the country."
New Hampshire's 20 Safest Cities of 2022 | SafeWise

New Hamshire has the lowest homicide rate and the lowest firearm death rate.
Crime Rate by State 2022

The Concord Police Department's 2020 Annual Crime Report provides lots of statistics and charts on crime and drug abuse. The graphs depicting calls for service for drug overdoses, deaths from overdose, and arrests for drugs show improvement, not decline.
https://concordnh.gov/DocumentCenter/View/17407/2020-Annual-Crime-Report---Rev-2
upload_2022-4-26_17-24-21.png

upload_2022-4-26_17-25-34.png
upload_2022-4-26_17-21-25.png

Crime in Concord feels higher than surrounding area because it is. The same necessities and amenities that attracts the average person to Concord also attracts someone who is marginalized and in need of services or looking to support a habit. In addition, crimes in Concord are not necessarily committed by residents of Concord. They occur in Concord because it offers a better return than a tiny town. Concord has major retailers that tiny towns don't, for example. If you live 30 miles away and intend to shoplift, you'd go where the prospects are good. If you're going to spend the night breaking into cars, parking lots of large complexes in Concord offer a better return than skulking up hilly, twisting, unpaved driveways in the woods.

Concord has crime. Concord has drug abuse. So does New Hampshire. But, in perspective, crime is relatively low, and statistics indicate the rate is declining. I don't want anyone not familiar with Concord or New Hampshire to have the false impression that we are a drug-addled den. Now of the statistics take away from the fact that a retired couple out for an afternoon walk was brutally murdered. Once the perpetrator is idenified, the community will hopefully reflect on what, if anything, might have prevented it.

Attachments

• upload_2022-4-26_17-18-23.png
    upload_2022-4-26_17-18-23.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 2
Yikes, the artificially high number of potentially violent homeless brought by the presence of the state hospital could greatly increase the odds of a "random attack by disturbed individual" type motive.

is it easy to buy a firearm if you are discharged from a mental hospital? (hope not but I know that some States are more restrictive than others and things get resold and passed around...). I just think a seriously mentally ill person would have left more evidence or would still be raging around, IMO, but who knows.

Last edited:
is it easy to buy a firearm if you are discharged from a mental hospital? (hope not but I know that some States are more restrictive than others and things get resold and passed around...). I just think a seriously mentally ill person would have left more evidence or would still be raging around, but ...

New Hampshire has few restrictions. And no permit/license required.

is it easy to buy a firearm if you are discharged from a mental hospital? (hope not but I know that some States are more restrictive than others and things get resold and passed around...). I just think a seriously mentally ill person would have left more evidence or would still be raging around, but ...
I agree with your opinion on the lack of evidence.

is it easy to buy a firearm if you are discharged from a mental hospital? (hope not but I know that some States are more restrictive than others and things get resold and passed around...). I just think a seriously mentally ill person would have left more evidence or would still be raging around, IMO, but who knows.
I dont know. As another poster mentioned, New Hampshire has few restrictions on weapons.

I do know that somebody who has been declared mentally incompetent would appear on the federal "no buy" list. But, I dont know if being treated and discharged from a mental hospital would get one on the no buy list.

And..... "No buy" does not mean "does not buy". No buy lists are only good for weapons purchases made through a licensed dealer. Background checks do not have to be run on weapons purchases from "Private sales" (unlicensed vendor, making a few private sales per year).

My vague impression is that advertized quick and easy "Private Sales" have gotten harder to find, but are by no means impossible to find.

New Hampshire has few restrictions. And no permit/license required.
Worth noting that not all states with a fire arms tradition are in the deep south or far west.

Going way back into US military trivia, elite Union regiments aside, the "ordinary joe" regiments that the Confederates respected the most were disproportionately from New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine. Fortuantely for the Confederates, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont had small populations and fewer regiments.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dstewart
Back