NH - Djeswende ‘Wendy’, 66, & Stephen Reid, 67, Shot on Hiking Trail, Concord, Apr 2022 *Logan Clegg Arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I hope the authorities tell the public a little bit more about:

A) how many bullets each person was shot with.

B) the location on the body of the bullet wounds. On their backs? Faces? Back of the heads? Chest?

C) Where on the trail they were found.
Actually on the path? Or in undergrowth? Had they been dragged? Or shot where they fell? Were they hidden in foliage? Were they still fully clothed? etc. etc.

Yikes, the artificially high number of potentially violent homeless brought by the presence of the state hospital could greatly increase the odds of a "random attack by disturbed individual" type motive.

We have to be careful with this. The mentally ill are frequently scapegoated when it comes to crime, even though most of the (legitimately) mentally ill are more likely to be the victim of violent crime rather than the perpetrator. When bad things happen, I think a lot of people jump to "someone with mental illness", but the vast majority of criminals are not actually mentally ill. Most have substance use issues, homelessness, and/or personality disorders, NOT for example, schizophrenia. It's people with schizophrenia and the like who are usually in state hospitals. The one caveat to this is if there's a forensics unit at the NHH. The forensics unit is generally the "not guilty by reason of insanity" or those awaiting competency evaluations. So while I can see a forensics unit release increasing the odds of the NHH angle, I would be careful in assuming the perpetrator was mentally ill or was anything other than a criminal.

I hope the authorities tell the public a little bit more about:

A) how many bullets each person was shot with.

B) the location on the body of the bullet wounds. On their backs? Faces? Back of the heads? Chest?

C) Where on the trail they were found.
Actually on the path? Or in undergrowth? Had they been dragged? Or shot where they fell? Were they hidden in foliage? Were they still fully clothed? etc. etc.
These are things they'd typically keep secret, as they'd be known only to the killer (which could help them down the road).

These things probably aren't going to help the public help law enforcement (via tips).

We obviously want to know, but they have to protect the investigation.

I agree that no possibility should be off limits in an investigation, but there are several other local motives that need to be considered between "Living a routine life" and "deranged maniac in the woods" before over seas activities should be explored. For example:

A. Argument with another trail user about use.

I have seen arguments between mountain bikers and hikers here in Texas regarding who does what, to what degree and on what trail get heated. Likewise, I have experienced mild differences between my more rural views regarding appropriate activities and newcomers with more suburban views. Granted, I just found a more isolated area instead of attacking them.

B. Saw something illegal, then were attacked.

Concord has evidently fallen on hard times and has a good amount of drug usage. Where there are drug users, there are drug dealers.

C. Inter racial hatred.

Though white supremacists are the usual culprits, racists come in every color and from every culture. Not every black etc. person is uhhmm "fully supportive" of inter racial relationships.

Well thought out post. It is sad that there are so many viable scenarios available to us these days.

FBI joins investigation of shootings of Concord, NH, couple

CONCORD, N.H. —

The FBI has confirmed that it's assisting in the investigation of the shooting deaths of a Concord couple.

Stephen and Wendy Reid, a couple in their 60s, were found shot to death in a marshy area along the Broken Ground Trails in Concord on April 21. So far, authorities have not released any information about potential suspects.

The New Hampshire attorney general's office and the Concord police chief said the case is their No. 1 priority, and significant resources have been dedicated to helping investigate.

The attorney general's office said Tuesday they have no new information about the case to provide, other than to confirm that the FBI is assisting in the investigation.

Police were back at the scene at the Broken Ground Trails throughout the day, continuing to investigate the double homicide that has the Concord community shaken.

Rep. Kris Schultz, D-Concord, said a lack of answers is bringing anxiety to Concord residents.

"What that says to many of us is you don't exactly know what happened and if the general public should be afraid," Schultz said.

For now, I am still leaning towards it being a crazy transient who was lurking in the woods.

I don't think anyone could have followed them from their apt. w/out being noticed. So I think it had to be someone they ran into.

Since it's been reported that they hike that area often, maybe they had issues with someone before?

I had been hoping they just wandered off, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. I hope the FBI can get some answers and find out who did this.
People believe they are safe when they go with a buddy rather than alone. This was two people walking together in a well travelled area and they were shot in broad daylight. It makes all of us worried.

I don't think anyone could have followed them from their apt. w/out being noticed. So I think it had to be someone they ran into.

Since it's been reported that they hike that area often, maybe they had issues with someone before?
I agree.

Apartment managers would be aware of complaints received from and directed towards somebody regarding noise, parking, unregistered pets, loitering and unregistered long term "visitors" and even tacky / "tacky" porch decorations.

Then factor in that the apartment complex does not seem to have a whole lot of "problem people live here" type vibes.

As for the trail user possibility, your idea about seeing if they had issues with somebody before is a good start. I think expanding to a review of any complaints received about the trails would be beneficial as well.

For example:

- Have there been complaints or arguments between hikers and say, blazing fast mountain bikers or dirt bikers using trails they should not?
- Maybe about horse riders not able to control their horses? Unleashed dogs?
- Alcohol / open air drug use, illegal dumping?

- irresponsible target shooting, illegal hunting?
- Rural pest control on adjoining private property? Some states allow for pest species to be shot at will by property owners to protect agriculture or livestock. This may appear wanton to other people- and could actually be wanton in cases where the shooter does not truly need to do it, but just likes doing it.

This could have been a neighbor disagreement too. That may sound far-fetched but I've lived through some that were ridiculous and totally unnecessary. One was caused by a teen ager with bad parents. The teenager was running wild and harassing neighbors especially me because I lived next door to them and alone. At one point, he shot up the side of my house with a BB gun and stood pointing the gun at my door like he was daring me to come out. Instead, I called the police and insisted they confiscate the gun. This angered the parents who went to the police claiming I had to put up with whatever their son wanted to do. Another one is still on going and will have to be settled in court. This involved a new neighbor who tried to claim ownership of part of my property. When two surveys proved they didn't own any of what they claimed, they decided to tear up that part of it (my driveway) and block me from using it. A tenant of his threw rocks at my car, shot through one of my windows, and called threating to kill me. All of this happened without my doing anything to them. You can be a good person not bothering anyone and there are those that will still come after you.

The New Hampshire Attorney General announced mid-morning that it is assisting in the investigation of 2 suspicious deaths in Gorham. That's about 100 miles north of Concord. No other details are available yet, but the possibility of a connection to the double murder in Concord has people unnerved and speculating.

All the news outlets have the same bare facts from the AG. The Berlin Daily Sun is local. It is the only one with a non-generic file photo. It appears to be the location.

I've looked through comments from concerned people on FB pages. None contain facts beyond the AG press release either. Maybe the noontime news will have updates in a few minutes.

The Berlin Daily Sun

upload_2022-4-27_11-43-58.png

I do believe that a homeless person could do something like this. We've seen it happen before. Many of the transients are drinking and using drugs and many have mental health issues. That combination, can be very dangerous, when combined with being homeless and feeling vulnerable to others.

I have seen a 'road rage' kind of pattern with some homeless people, where they become territorial, and lash out violently.
'I Think It's A Serious Homeless Problem': Man Suffers Multiple Stab Wounds To Neck In Random Assault By Homeless Man In Chinatown

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) -
A man was randomly attacked in the Chinatown area Wednesday afternoon, when he was approached by a homeless man who stabbed him in the neck multiple times.

This attack is another in a troubling trend gathering public attention across Los Angeles County over recent months, as random violent attacks via homeless people have claimed the lives of LAC + USC nurse Sandra Shellsand Brianna Kupfer, a local student who was working at the time of her murder. Another Long Beach woman was also attacked while she was assisting the homeless community in her neighborhood, offering them supplies.
Victims of Random Attacks by Homeless Want City, Police to Do More – NBC 7 San Diego

Victims of Random Attacks by Homeless Want City, Police to Do More
A recent string of violent, random attacks committed by homeless people have some calling on the city of San Diego and its police force to do more
August 25, 2021

Man Accused in Two Unprovoked Attacks in Anaheim Arrested

https://www.nbclosangeles.com › news › local › man-ac...

Mar 25, 2022 — Ivory Julian Anderson Jr., a 32-year-old transient, was identified by police on Friday March 25 while they were patrolling the Anaheim area.

I agree. I can't remember her name but there was a woman in San Dimas, CA that was out walking her dog. They were both stabbed to death by a local homeless man. It does happen. Did it happen in this case? I don't know but IMO I don't think it can be ruled out at this point. Man arrested after woman, dog fatally stabbed in San Dimas | KTLA

Last edited by a moderator:
No one all weekend on the trail in my town close to Concord (it's normally very crowded ) We are all nervous. Locals are saying, "It must be someone from Mass." I don't agree with that at all, but my town has a love/hate relationship with tourists. I was born in Boston but moved all over the country and finally retired up here in lovely NH. No place I would rather be. I hope they solve this soon.

No one all weekend on the trail in my town close to Concord (it's normally very crowded ) We are all nervous. Locals are saying, "It must be someone from Mass." I don't agree with that at all, but my town has a love/hate relationship with tourists. I was born in Boston but moved all over the country and finally retired up here in lovely NH. No place I would rather be. I hope they solve this soon.
Ha! That's not surprising. No one ever wants to believe someone from their community would do something like that.

This could have been a neighbor disagreement too. That may sound far-fetched but I've lived through some that were ridiculous and totally unnecessary. One was caused by a teen ager with bad parents. The teenager was running wild and harassing neighbors especially me because I lived next door to them and alone. At one point, he shot up the side of my house with a BB gun and stood pointing the gun at my door like he was daring me to come out. Instead, I called the police and insisted they confiscate the gun. This angered the parents who went to the police claiming I had to put up with whatever their son wanted to do. Another one is still on going and will have to be settled in court. This involved a new neighbor who tried to claim ownership of part of my property. When two surveys proved they didn't own any of what they claimed, they decided to tear up that part of it (my driveway) and block me from using it. A tenant of his threw rocks at my car, shot through one of my windows, and called threating to kill me. All of this happened without my doing anything to them. You can be a good person not bothering anyone and there are those that will still come after you.

Sounds like the kind of people who would raise a child who would do something like this.

‘Mommy help me! They set me on fire!’ Mom says son’s face burned during bullying | who13.com

I had heard the same, "it's some angry masshole". IMO it's someone from the area.

Some people can be annoying as those little cylinders they tuck into bottles of medications. You know the ones; they dislodge just as you think you are freeing a tablet. :(

But in this case people were not a mere annoyance. What else could we be looking at other than a case of deliberate murder? The prominent local family seems as confounded as we are. Answers from LE will be like answers from heaven.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redcedarblue
Back