Deceased/Not Found NH - Harmony Montgomery, 7, Manchester, Oct 2019 *reported missing Dec 2021* *REWARD* *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't thinking of charges, I meant the way they could be doubling their income if they figured out a way to collect two sets of benefits in her name.

Crossing state lines might be enough. There are probably some checks at the Federal level but @cvaldez1975 is right -- more likely little chance of a charge; possibly one state or the other would try to "recover" the mis-applied benefit, by reducing the SNAP Benefit (food stamp) amount by $5 a month until the amount is recovered.

Worked at Social Services in my state in the early '90's, was assigned to a temporary Recovery Task Force. When we identified this kind of double-dipping or something similar, both cases were passed to a supervisor, then coded in the computer, system generated letters went to the benefit recipient with hearing request info & the like. The system-generated letters were from the prosecuting attorney's office, our names weren't connected to the public side at all. This is what I remember, anyway, that was quite a while back!

Could be worth the risk for some people....

jmho ymmv lrr

FEB 16, 2022
Harmony Montgomery update: Information about review coming soon (wmur.com)
[...]

Attorney General John Formella confirmed that by next week, parts of the review approved by the state Department of Justice will be made public.

In Manchester, police chief Allen Aldenberg hosted a Facebook Live stream on Wednesday and fielded questions about bail reform and speeding on Maple Street, but most of the questions were about Harmony Montgomery.

“We're working it around the clock. And when I say that, that is true and it's sincere. The case remains a top priority for everybody working the case. Hopefully we'll be able to provide some updates here in the near future,” Aldenberg said.

[...]

harmony-montgomery-new-pics-1643306302.png

I wasn't thinking of charges, I meant the way they could be doubling their income if they figured out a way to collect two sets of benefits in her name.
When you consider how there is a lack of communication between states, it seems that it would really easy to collect benefits on the same child in different states.

FEB 18, 2022
25 Investigates: Gov. Baker wants budget, policy changes in response to Harmony Montgomery case – Boston 25 News
[...]

On Friday, the Baker- Polito administration proposed $50 million dollars in a supplemental budget for recruitment, training, and compensation of guardians ad litem {GAL} within Massachusetts Courts.

In a written statement, Health and Human Services Secretary Marylou Sudders said Harmony’s case makes it clear children who come before the courts need better support.

“With this funding, we take a step in the right direction to ensuring children have a voice in the courtroom that is advocating singularly for their best interests and well-being at all times throughout the court proceedings,” wrote Sudders.

[...]

The Baker-Polito administration is also suggesting a policy change so that a guardian ad litem is appointed in every alleged abuse and neglect case that goes through the Massachusetts juvenile court.

[...]

I've been thinking about the possibility if HM is still with us. I have a few questions re US law. Is their any ramifications for AM if HM is never found? If she is still out there somewhere, why would AM not say anything? I can only speculate that the reason to say nothing at all is because their are no consequences if she is never located. So any insight anyone can give me would be much appreciated.

Edited to add. I'm referring to not saying anything if she is still alive somewhere. I can understand not talking if he has committed a crime resulting in her death IMO

Is there anyone here who is or knows GALs or CASAs ? I just wonder if they feel like they are making a difference ? I imagine that would be hard in a broken system where an advocate for the child recommends removal from the home with the same uncaring judge who normally presides over these cases.

Is there anyone here who is or knows GALs or CASAs ? I just wonder if they feel like they are making a difference ? I imagine that would be hard in a broken system where an advocate for the child recommends removal from the home with the same uncaring judge who normally presides over these cases.

As a foster parent I have had experience with GAL's and CASA's. IMHO they have little impact, and always will, if the policies and laws don't change. The goal is always reunification with the parents and that is top priority (even over child safety) and the standards for reunification are way too low. We need to raise the standards to put the children first. not the parents. Children's rights before parents' rights. If we don't put the children first, nothing will change.
When I became a foster parent, I did so because I thought the system was there to protect children and I wanted to be a part of that and help the children. I quickly realized it was not at all what most people think. All I heard about was "parents rights". I witnessed daily the damage done to these poor children and the damage that continued (by the parents) while they were with me. The damage done to these poor children is often extreme and profound. Then the parents take a few classes and get a lawyer and the children are returned. It's sickening. It happens all the time. These are not rare occurrences. The public only hears about it in high profile cases where children go missing or are murdered. What about all the children who continue to be neglected and abused after return home? I would say this is the majority.

As a foster parent I have had experience with GAL's and CASA's. IMHO they have little impact, and always will, if the policies and laws don't change. The goal is always reunification with the parents and that is top priority (even over child safety) and the standards for reunification are way too low. We need to raise the standards to put the children first. not the parents. Children's rights before parents' rights. If we don't put the children first, nothing will change.
When I became a foster parent, I did so because I thought the system was there to protect children and I wanted to be a part of that and help the children. I quickly realized it was not at all what most people think. All I heard about was "parents rights". I witnessed daily the damage done to these poor children and the damage that continued (by the parents) while they were with me. The damage done to these poor children is often extreme and profound. Then the parents take a few classes and get a lawyer and the children are returned. It's sickening. It happens all the time. These are not rare occurrences. The public only hears about it in high profile cases where children go missing or are murdered. What about all the children who continue to be neglected and abused after return home? I would say this is the majority.

Thank you so much for your honest and thoughtful reply. Do you feel that having more foster parents could help the system just so the children have a soft place to land even if temporary ? I'm thinking the time they spend with you could have a life long impact even if they are returned to their parents.

Thank you so much for your honest and thoughtful reply. Do you feel that having more foster parents could help the system just so the children have a soft place to land even if temporary ? I'm thinking the time they spend with you could have a life long impact even if they are returned to their parents.
That's a whole other issue. There is a shortage of foster parents and always will be. Foster parents are treated horribly most of the time. It's very very hard and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. These children often have deep issues and are not easy children. Very deep issues that most people cannot imagine. We love them and do everything we can to help them. We see the damage done to these kids and put so much into helping them. But in the end, we are not allowed to say anything or do anything to protect them. We are told we are not a party to the case and have no say. Even though we are told to advocate for the children in our care, we are not allowed to do so. To me, the entire system is a joke. They take a child from parents, place them in a foster home, give the parents a few classes, get the child counseling and send them back home. And nothing changes. That about sums it up.

That's a whole other issue. There is a shortage of foster parents and always will be. Foster parents are treated horribly most of the time. It's very very hard and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. These children often have deep issues and are not easy children. Very deep issues that most people cannot imagine. We love them and do everything we can to help them. We see the damage done to these kids and put so much into helping them. But in the end, we are not allowed to say anything or do anything to protect them. We are told we are not a party to the case and have no say. Even though we are told to advocate for the children in our care, we are not allowed to do so. To me, the entire system is a joke. They take a child from parents, place them in a foster home, give the parents a few classes, get the child counseling and send them back home. And nothing changes. That about sums it up.

Thank you so much for your honesty. It's heartbreaking ! But you are an angel to keep opening your home. You are a blessing. I do believe that love and care you provide will have a positive effect on some of the children. You may never find out but I think showing them what a good home is like will have an impact. God bless you and if you are not a religious person, I want to send positive thoughts your way. I'm just so impressed by what you still do in the face of a broken system.

Thank you so much for your honesty. It's heartbreaking ! But you are an angel to keep opening your home. You are a blessing. I do believe that love and care you provide will have a positive effect on some of the children. You may never find out but I think showing them what a good home is like will have an impact. God bless you and if you are not a religious person, I want to send positive thoughts your way. I'm just so impressed by what you still do in the face of a broken system.

Thank you. But I recently closed my license. 50% of foster parents quit within the first year. Why is that you may ask? Everything I mentioned above and much more. You just cannot imagine how horrible it is. The children I can deal with. The rest of it, I cannot. It is not at all what most people think, and it is not a system to help children. It is a system designed to help parents and return children. In theory, that's a great idea, but it does not work.

I am familiar with the “system”. A CASA is appointed to provide unbiased information from both sides and report back to the court. The CASA is generally appointed on the child’s behalf. I look at a GAL as more a middle man in the whole process. The people who are on the front lines are the CPS/DFS worker and the fostercare worker.

Here’s the thing, some workers are really good and some are really bad. This is what I have noticed for years. The high turnover rate and under funding also plays a large role in our child services programs.

When the media publicizes cases like this it makes me wonder if the county and state will launch their own investigation into the workers and the department. Because children just don’t “fall through the cracks”. When this occurs it occurs due to a broken system. Does that mean that every county Child Services Department is bad, no. This is an issue that has to do with accountability and oversight, from the bottom up.

The families first act is flawed in many ways. I do believe that reunification can be very beneficial for everyone, but that’s not always the case. The parents have obviously done something to get their child(ren) taken away.

CASA's are volunteers and GAL's are paid. Their job is basically the same, as you stated, to be an unbiased advocate for the child. But in order for that to work, the judge would actually need to listen to them. Remember that the judge has the final say in everything in a dependency case. Most of the Judges I've seen are very pro parents and parental rights. The judge never meets these children. They don't truly understand the damage and suffering they have endured. They are simply a case number on a court docket to them. And the laws and policies put parental rights and reunification BEFORE child safety.

People are shocked by cases like Harmony's, Oakley's and others and wonder how this could happen and how the child welfare system could fail these children so horribly. I am not shocked at all. Once you learn how "the system" actually works it is not shocking at all. As I said, children are returned to be further abused by their parents all the time. This is not uncommon.

FEB 21, 2022
Mystery in the Mountains: The search for Harmony Montgomery continues | Local 22/44 News (mychamplainvalley.com)
The search for a missing New Hampshire seven-year-old girl is about to stretch into its third month. No one’s seen Harmony Montgomery in more than two years. She was last seen in October of 2019 and Police have been searching since the start of 2022.

“Somebody out there has seen this child,” said the New Hampshire DCYF Director, Joe Ribsam.

[...]

Stacey Pearson a New England-based expert in Child Safety said there are signs to look forward to identifying if a child is in danger.

[...]

Pearson said the COVID-19 pandemic has created a lot of challenges, including how teachers can check in on their students.

“You know you can see if the child’s hygiene is failing or that they’re safe, like a safe environment at home.”

[...]

FEB 21, 2022
Adopted father of Harmony Montgomery's brother pleads with girls' father for answers | Fox News
[...]

He’s only five, and his parents haven’t explained to him the extent of the uncertainty around his sister’s whereabouts, Miller said. On Valentine’s Day last week, Jamison told his parents he wanted to send her chocolates.

"Maybe someone else is gonna read that letter and think, ‘I do know something, I was there at that house and saw something,’ and maybe that’ll mean something to somebody," Miller said. "So this really wasn’t just a letter to Adam, it’s a letter to help open up any clues or help the investigation."

[...]

"The U.S. Marshals stopped by our house a couple of weeks ago and brought [Jamison] some patches and a Care Bear, and they just sat with him," Miller said. "They told him, if you need anything from us, give us a call. The problem with that is that he's been trying to use Alexa and call 911 to talk with his friends – but it was very it was such a nice gesture, and they were just trying to show their support for him."

[...]

"We still have hope," Miller said. "We see everyone else losing hope, and we still have hope. We have to, for our son. Because that’s what he would expect from us."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CindyW1974