Deceased/Not Found NH - Harmony Montgomery, 7, Manchester, Oct 2019 *reported missing Dec 2021* *REWARD* *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting (though not surprising) that DCYF is stating that a lack of DCYF's in all states being inter-connected is the reason for this lack of follow through.

Although I agree that all states being connected would be hugely beneficial, it wasn't NEEDED in order to attempt to further track down Harmony. As a mandated reporter, the case worker not only could have but SHOULD have contacted local Police for a well check in Mom's town or the DCYF in mom's state to report the issue/confirm the change of physical custody. If any local citizen can call both of those places, so can a case worker.

Just so many failures here. Two parents not at all equipped to properly raise Harmony. DCYF not knowing how to make more than one phone call. Mom not returning a call. Dad not knowing how to keep his hands to himself. Family members who witnessed a black eye and were told truthfully how she got it, yet still this poor girl isn't reported missing for over 2 YEARS! What in the world is wrong with people?!

FEB 28, 2022
DCYF presents new strategic plan in wake of girl's disappearance (wmur.com)
he New Hampshire Division of Children, Youth and Families is presenting its new strategic plan, days after a report issued recommendations in the wake of the disappearance of a 7-year-old Manchester girl.

DCYF director Joe Ribsam presented the plan to an advisory board Monday. Not on the agenda was a recent report outlining the agency's role in the case of Harmony Montgomery, a 7-year-old girl who was last seen in November 2019 but not reported missing for two years.

Some of that report's recommendations are already included in the DCYF plan. The report recommends modernizing the case management system, and the DCYF plan includes updating and improving technology.

The plan also recommends adding and retaining staff at the Manchester district office and getting confirmation of the whereabouts of every child known to a household.

[...]

That's a whole other issue. There is a shortage of foster parents and always will be. Foster parents are treated horribly most of the time. It's very very hard and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. These children often have deep issues and are not easy children. Very deep issues that most people cannot imagine. We love them and do everything we can to help them. We see the damage done to these kids and put so much into helping them. But in the end, we are not allowed to say anything or do anything to protect them. We are told we are not a party to the case and have no say. Even though we are told to advocate for the children in our care, we are not allowed to do so. To me, the entire system is a joke. They take a child from parents, place them in a foster home, give the parents a few classes, get the child counseling and send them back home. And nothing changes. That about sums it up.
Thank you for your insight. Are there any cases where children have truly been helped by DCFS? I’m not trying to be snide. With the exception of a few children who were allowed to be adopted by their foster parents, I can’t think of a single instance where I’ve heard anyone say they received help or were better off as a result of “the system”. Not once. Not from a child now grown who was in the system or had DCFS intervene, not from a parent, not even from people I know who’ve been part of “the system”. They just express frustration about how hard it is to really help. Clearly there are far too many tragic cases like Harmony where children fall through the cracks, but there must be other cases where lives are improved or even saved. There have to be. Right?

I’m really beginning to wonder.

I wonder where they got her number from ? Adam ? Because they didn't have the case file from MA, right ? I suspect that Adam said, Crystal has her and gave them a phone number. Why would he give them her correct number since he knew that she did not have Harmony ? He wouldn't. JMO.

Thank you for your insight. Are there any cases where children have truly been helped by DCFS? I’m not trying to be snide. With the exception of a few children who were allowed to be adopted by their foster parents, I can’t think of a single instance where I’ve heard anyone say they received help or were better off as a result of “the system”. Not once. Not from a child now grown who was in the system or had DCFS intervene, not from a parent, not even from people I know who’ve been part of “the system”. They just express frustration about how hard it is to really help. Clearly there are far too many tragic cases like Harmony where children fall through the cracks, but there must be other cases where lives are improved or even saved. There have to be. Right?

I’m really beginning to wonder.

I have heard of a few cases where the parents were helped and did change. It's usually the cases where the parent(s) don't have the financial means to properly care for the children or are really young and truly don't know how to parent. I know of foster parents that remain involved with the children and become a support system after the children are returned home. I don't know of any success stories when the parent(s) are addicts or abusive. In those cases, they often do rehab or take classes and get the kids back only to go right back to the same thing. Some of these kids bounce in and out of the system their entire childhood. Often times the parents will just move out of state once they get the kids back. The State takes the children, offers services to the parents and once the services are complete, they return the children. That is how the reunification process works. The only children who get adopted are the ones whose parents agree to adoption/termination of parental rights or those that have their rights terminated. And the only way their rights are terminated is if they make no effort at all. They can be non-existent for a year then pop back up at termination time and the whole process starts over again. And this is what many parents do. And this can go on for years.

I wonder where they got her number from ? Adam ? Because they didn't have the case file from MA, right ? I suspect that Adam said, Crystal has her and gave them a phone number. Why would he give them her correct number since he knew that she did not have Harmony ? He wouldn't. JMO.

I've been wondering this myself.

FEB 28, 2022
25 Investigates: Nearly a dozen kids in DCF custody are missing or unaccounted for, data shows – Boston 25 News
The chief’s voice trembled as he announced the disappearance of little Harmony Montgomery, a sign of just how heartbreaking and shocking her story is.

“Somewhere out there this little girl is in need of help,” he told a roomful of reporters, pointed to a picture of a little girl with blue eyes and blonde hair.

[...]

A precept is a court order for law enforcement or DCF to go out and search for a missing kid and bring that child before a judge to be identified, explained Craven. She also said most precepts get resolved fairly quickly.

According to the data provided to 25 Investigates by the Trial Court, a total of 612 precepts were issued between 2019 and 2021. In 2019, there were 256; the following year, 170 precepts were issued; and in 2021 there were 186.

Of those, 11 are still outstanding – 4 from 2020 and 7 from 2021. All of the outstanding precepts are for teenagers – 3 are 16-years-old and 8 are 17-years-old.

[...]

Adam Montgomery was not in the courtroom for Friday's hearing.

With the investigation in the early stages, no plea offer has been prepared and no trial date was set.

"While charges have been brought, the investigation concerns a variety of different areas. The investigation and discovery that’s being generated applies to the current charges as well," Jesse O'Neill, the prosecutor, said.

Both sides will need additional time to review evidence in the case, which continues to build over time.

"There is some discovery, quite a bit of discovery still outstanding as it’s literally being generated on a daily basis, and for the same reason, the state at this point has not made a plea offer, just because as the investigation continues, we don’t want to make a plea offer without a full knowledge of what this investigation may reveal," O'Neill said.

Prosecutors said indictments against Adam Montgomery are scheduled to be presented before a grand jury in a couple of weeks.

The next hearing in the case will be a dispositional conference held on June 28.

Dispositional conference hearing held in Adam Montgomery case (wmur.com)

How did they make only one phone call to the bio mom?

and most importantly, crystals rights were terminated. Giving the child to the person who can’t have custody of her is a huge no no and should of generated an immediate investigation, instead of just making a note of one attempted phone call.

and most importantly, crystals rights were terminated. Giving the child to the person who can’t have custody of her is a huge no no and should of generated an immediate investigation, instead of just making a note of one attempted phone call.
Right. This was a huge red flag in my opinion.

I wonder if we called that number today if it is disconnected or a wrong number and was never Crystal's ?

I'm jumping late into this but I am trying to comprehend how the lack of communication between states happened. I used to and I stress that work for the State of MA and worked with (not for) DYFS. All of the State agencies worked closely with NH, RI, ME, and VT, but especially NH and VT because they were so close in proximity. I worked in the area of MA that was also close to the NH border. It makes no sense why her case would be closed so fast without transitioning. It also makes no sense why she would not have been placed in emergency foster care immediately in 2019 and NH Social services didn't investigate. I've seen kids pulled from homes and put in emergency foster care for less. If NH had no beds then MA or VT probably did and I've seen kids get placed out of state so it happens. Usually, DYFS has a "pull the kid and investigate later" policy...

I'm not comprehending how the father got custody...and how they were allowed to leave the state...

DCYF is saying there needs to be better communication between states, I'll agree. But in this case it's far more simple- how about not giving children to men who shoot people in the face in the course of a drug deal?

DCYF is saying there needs to be better communication between states, I'll agree. But in this case it's far more simple- how about not giving children to men who shoot people in the face in the course of a drug deal?

I'm trying so hard not to keep that separate in my mind because he wasn't charged at the time or a suspect back then, but I keep going back to see if there was anything like a witness report of something where he was named that could have given them a reason NOT to give him custody. I have seen families lose custody, and not get custody over such little things I don't understand how the father was given custody, to begin with even without the other incident.

I'm trying so hard not to keep that separate in my mind because he wasn't charged at the time or a suspect back then, but I keep going back to see if there was anything like a witness report of something where he was named that could have given them a reason NOT to give him custody. I have seen families lose custody, and not get custody over such little things I don't understand how the father was given custody, to begin with even without the other incident.

He most definitely was. as soon as he was released from prison for shooting someone in the head, he created Harmony. He has a life long history of violence.

Adam Montgomery has a long history with police, drug addiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest